Askren: I would out-wrestle GSP

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
When it comes to wrestling credentials in MMA, Bellator welterweight champion and former Olympian Ben Askren (11-0) is right near the top of the pile. Before reaching the 2008 Olympics as a freestyle wrestler, Askren compiled a scarcely believable 153-8 collegiate record. He won two NCAA Division 1 national championships out of Missouri and finished his college career with an 87-match winning streak. After the disappointment of the Olympics, "Funky" went on to win gold in the 185lb division of the freestyle wrestling world championships the next year. Now three Bellator title defenses down, Askren told MMA Junkie Radio he thinks he has the wrestling to beat UFC champion Georges St Pierre (24-2) at his own game.

"(St Pierre) has lost a lot of that killer instinct he had when he was a lot younger. Obviously, I know that's tough to maintain when you are at such a high level for so long. I just think his title's there for the taking, when someone goes in there, you know, has a good, solid wrestling background and is willing to fight hard ... I think Johny (Hendricks) has got a better shot than anyone in a very long time. I think a lot of the more recent challengers to GSP, you know, I would have been happy if Nick Diaz would have won, that would have been hilarious. But, in all realness, the chances of him winning I thought were very, very slim ... GSP does have great timing on the double leg, there's no denying that. I think obviously, if we fought, I would create scrambles that I would win. The other thing we thought, and I know (Firas) Zahabi's making excuses, but he got tired, he got really tired in the third, fourth and fifth rounds against Nick Diaz. But Diaz just doesn't have the power to put GSP on his butt or put the pressure on or the pressure when he's already been taken down. Diaz just didn't have the skills that he needed to beat him."

From MMA Lives Here
Tagged:

Comments

• KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free
    That is a claim that should and could be approved or disapproved only in Octagon.
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,213Free
    He lost all credibility to me when he said GSP use to have killer instinct.

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,310Free
    Askren/GSP I'd watch it. Battle of the blankets.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• SuperFightFanSuperFightFan Posts: 40Free
    Everyone runs their mouth even more so these days !! Thats how they get fights .. and if ben was so great he would have ben in the ufc with the belt .. but as of right now he's as big of threat as all GSP former opponents .. all talk !!
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    edited March 2013
    GSP would jab the **** out of that kid. Askren can barely finish 2nd rate fighters and has a split decision against 36 year old Jay Hieron.
    Post edited by juice64011 on
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,746Free
    Askren would win in my opinion
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    edited March 2013
    WarWest said:

You think he would be able to handle the Jab and run technique of Georges?

I don't think Georges would want to take that fight to the ground.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,408Free
    I would hate to see Askren take the title a boring fighter losing to an even more boring fighter.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image

I would hate to see Askren take the title a boring fighter losing to an even more boring fighter.

Well it depends on how you look at it. If Askren somehow managed to dethrone GSP and take the title, I see Askren losing to the other hungry WW's in the UFC right now. Would stir some things up in the division.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

You think he would be able to handle the Jab and run technique of Georges?

I don't think Georges would want to take that fight to the ground.
    I think he would get Georges down

I bet GSP is a turtle when put on his back

Askren might even get the cut stoppage
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    I want to see this fight simply to see how it would pan out. LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Well it depends on how you look at it. If Askren somehow managed to dethrone GSP and take the title, I see Askren losing to the other hungry WW's in the UFC right now. Would stir some things up in the division.
    He struggled with Heiron there's a legit claim to say he lost maybe he had an off night but I'd much rather see Hendricks take the title.

It would be funny if GSP got laid on for 5 rounds tho! And if he did win I wouldn't mind as long as he lost the belt straight away.
    Bet Record- 76-43

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image

PoloRidah said:

He struggled with Heiron there's a legit claim to say he lost maybe he had an off night but I'd much rather see Hendricks take the title.

It would be funny if GSP got laid on for 5 rounds tho! And if he did win I wouldn't mind as long as he lost the belt straight away.
    Yeah I forgot about the Hieron fight. Did he get cut after Woodley KO'd him?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

Exactly

**** that ****
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

Yeah here it is shame I don't mind him he just got fed to the wolves http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Cuts-Jon-Fitch-Jacob-Volkmann-Jay-Hieron-16-Fighters-Released-in-Total-50283

A lot of good talent they released Bellator must love it.

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image
    edited March 2013

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

Yeah here it is shame I don't mind him he just got fed to the wolves http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Cuts-Jon-Fitch-Jacob-Volkmann-Jay-Hieron-16-Fighters-Released-in-Total-50283

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word
    I'm sure Bellator is loving it. Marcus Davis made his Bellator debut last night and kneed his opponent in the balls so hard he was unable to continue. No contest, LoL

I enjoyed that Bellator card though, there was a lot of finishes. The main event was a war as well. I don't think either of those fighters can beat Chandler though.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

WarWest said:

Why I ain't surprised?

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    edited March 2013
    KOOKORK said:

WarWest said:

Why I ain't surprised?

I don't know, why?

If you are saying I always pick GSP's opponents over him you're wrong soooo........
    Post edited by WarWest on
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word
    I'm sure Bellator is loving it. Marcus Davis made his Bellator debut last night and kneed his opponent in the balls so hard he was unable to continue. No contest, LoL

I enjoyed that Bellator card though, there was a lot of finishes. The main event was a war as well. I don't think either of those fighters can beat Chandler though.
    When I watched the main event all I could think is how bad Chandler is going to wreck either one of them.

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word

When I watched the main event all I could think is how bad Chandler is going to wreck either one of them.
    Yeah I liked the fight but neither of those two have anything to offer Chandler. I think Chandler's Bellator career will be similar to Alvarez's. He will dominate and look to move to the UFC eventually and maybe another elite LW comes along and they go to war.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

edited March 2013
    Post edited by WarWest on
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word

Yeah I seen that I enjoyed the event aswell main event was a really good fight I agree neither are gonna beat Chandler Held is still very young tho. lots of first round finishes was surprised by Martinez, Page looked good needs a step up in competition tho and that guy who came out swinging threw a flying knee then straight into a guillotine and put his opponent unconcious was **** awesome lol.
    Bet Record- 76-43

image image

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Exactly

**** that ****
    Word

Yeah I seen that I enjoyed the event aswell main event was a really good fight I agree neither are gonna beat Chandler Held is still very young tho. lots of first round finishes was surprised by Martinez, Page looked good needs a step up in competition tho and that guy who came out swinging threw a flying knee then straight into a guillotine and put his opponent unconcious was **** awesome lol.
    Yeah it was! Didn't that guy have a losing record as well, something like 11-12? Or was the guy who got owned the one with the bad record?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,607Free
    That Bellator event was really good. Never seen a nut shot TKO before haha. Then in the very next fight a guy gets one punched.

Crazy **** always seems to go down at these Bellator cards and I like Jimmy as an announcer.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

The guy with the losing record was the one that won PR.

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,839Free
    edited March 2013
    aksren sees michael page coming for that bellator belt and he dont want none of it, hes getting ktfo long before he gets to fight gsp.

props to askren though he actually finished his last fight.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

WarWest said:

KOOKORK said:

WarWest said:

Why I ain't surprised?

I don't know, why?

If you are saying I always pick GSP's opponents over him you're wrong soooo........
    Come on WarWest all I need to do is finding the posts of yours where you admits to like GSPs opponents? Dislike is not a bad thing but denying it is not healthy.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    i really should watch more Bellator so I can keep up with all the guys. From what I've seen though, Askren doesn't impress me much.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,839Free
    edited March 2013
    askren has 0 standup (not joking its worse than shields), if he cant get gsp to the mat hes loosing badly,
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

KOOKORK said:

WarWest said:

KOOKORK said:

WarWest said:

Why I ain't surprised?

I don't know, why?

Come on WarWest all I need to do is finding the posts of yours where you admits to like GSPs opponents? Dislike is not a bad thing but denying it is not healthy.
    Find them, be my guest

The only people he has fought that I have said would beat GSP are Penn and Diaz

Other than them I said GSP would win against Condit, Kos, Shields, Hardy, etc..

Hell, I even said GSP would finish Hardy ffs LoL
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine