GIVE US A SUPERFIGHT!

JudojitzJudojitz Posts: 21Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
Perhaps we should start a thread citing sources where Dana has promised or stated he would like to give us a super fight. I know this topic is tired and old, but I think we, as the UFC community, need to continue to press the issue and persistently remind Dana that this is something we want! It would be a travesty to never pair some of these fighters together in the octagon before it is too late. I don't want some freakshow when anderson silva is 47 and everyone is past their prime. The time could come shortly. Anderson Silva who is the crossroads of all main super fight discussion is aging (although he is still beyond excellent).

For years this is has been teased. An ancient Diaz/GSP fight that was relevant when Diaz held the strike force title did not satiate my curiosity.

We all know internet banter, smack talk, and hipocrazy can get things done as we have seen. Let's get what we want and keep the pressure on Dana to get it done. He stated about three years ago that they had a few more contenders to get through before that was something he could set up. News: those contenders have been quelled. Additional news: there is always going to be a #1 ranked contender behind the champ. If Diaz can swoop in for a title shot after a loss and suspension and Chael can jump in after a loss and a weight class change, then....a reigning champ simply can jump ahead of a #1 contender.

I say---we draw a line in the sand, after hendrix and weidman we have this fight scheduled regardless of outcome. Let's go ahead and make some interim champs if we have to. Who cares. Besides, people like being interim champs anyways, it's something for them to feel good about.

I think neither one of them wants this fight (Jones, Silva, or GSP) and all are scared to have a blemish on their record. So what?! Dana, grow some and tell them who is fighting.

It's like Michael Jordan, Lebron James, and Kobe Bryant all playing in the NBA in their prime, and all agreeing to sit out the games that they have scheduled to see each other, and David Stern just saying that's ok, because, although the fans want to know, he gives the players what they want...

Post edited by Judojitz on

Comments

• JudojitzJudojitz Posts: 21Free

11/18/12

2/27/13

9/4/12 "if GSP beats Condit"

2 years ago...

• GfoltzGfoltz Posts: 121Free
    The only way we'll see a superfight is if Aldo fights Bendo, or Jones fights Cain cuz GSP and Anderson are both losing their next fights.
    Hw: Velasquez, Cormier

Lhw: Hendo, Rashad

Mw: Weidman, Sonnen

Ww: Hughes, Fitch, Hendricks

Lw: Maynard, Bendo, Chandler

Fw: Mendes

Bw: Faber

Flw: Benevidez
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Gfoltz said:

The only way we'll see a superfight is if Aldo fights Bendo, or Jones fights Cain cuz GSP and Anderson are both losing their next fights.

ALDO vs Bendo IS NOT a superfight ;)
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,259Free

Gfoltz said:

no fight with anyone under 6'0 is a superfight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

Gfoltz said:

B-)
  • jamamawjamamaw Posts: 2,380Free
    Gfoltz said:

I better run to a bookie and bet 10k on chris.
    Anderson silva

Nick diaz

Gegard Mousasi

gilbert melendez

wanderlei silva

Tito ortiz

Rampage jackson

Paul Daley

DC
    Megumi Fuji

Sig bet Record: 1-0
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free

Gfoltz said:

So just Silva and up then?

GoToGuy said:

Gfoltz said:

absolutely
    GoToGuy said:

Gfoltz said:

Nick Diaz and up
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoToGuy said:

Gfoltz said:

Nick Diaz and up
    ;)
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    We've had superfights, they just haven't turned out as super as we would have liked them. Aldo/Edgar, GSP/Diaz....but some have went well--GSP/Penn, Penn/Diaz....if you want to count those as superfights.

As far as smaller divisions go, at this point, Dominick Cruz vs Renan Barao seems like it would be a superfight. And of course Ronda Rousey vs Cyborg or Gina Carano would be a superfight.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

We've had superfights, they just haven't turned out as super as we would have liked them. Aldo/Edgar, GSP/Diaz....but some have went well--GSP/Penn, Penn/Diaz....if you want to count those as superfights.

As far as smaller divisions go, at this point, Dominick Cruz vs Renan Barao seems like it would be a superfight. And of course Ronda Rousey vs Cyborg or Gina Carano would be a superfight.

You consider GSP vs Diaz a superfight?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*

I don't consider any of those super fights. Aldo/Edgar ---Aldo and a proper pairing could be a super fight. Edgar, had a tie and a loss before two straight losses to meet Aldo. He had about zero title defenses, and he beat an aging and less motivated BJ Penn, but has been given credit for dethroning an all-time great.

GSP/Diaz...I'm not really gonna dive into that. Diaz is not super fight material. He had a loss to Condit, barely scraped past "Aged BJ" and has been beaten prior by a handful of non-superfight opponents.

GSP/BJ is the closest. However, again, I think this is BJ slightly past his prime...and out of his weight class. In my opinion, he is a total lightweight. However, I can't debate this one too much. There is a reasonable stance for that belief. I believe, BJ vs. GSP was a great fight, and super exciting, but not quite a super fight.

A true super fight is something that just has an awesome level of intrigue behind it, between two competitors that have rarely been truly tested by the rest of their competition.

Fedor in his prime vs. many of the UFC greats that never got arranged is the sort of thing I'm talking about. I think the world is less for us not being able to have those answers. And I fear, the Anderson Silva/GSP questions are headed for the same destination.

Even Jon Jones (although great---and don't forget I said he is GREAT) is barely in this echelon for me. Jones has been extremely dominant, however, I believe he's still missing some details and can be caught. There's a handful of things I've seen him do that leave him vulnerable. I think on a long enough timeline, he'll definitely be caught. If he goes a couple more fights and I don't see anything like that, he clearly belongs. Although, let me reiterate, I already place him as a super fight candidate, but just not by a super wide margin.
    But...the purpose of this whole thread was to compile an unbelievable collection of quotes by Dana declaring he "will" make it happen.

I think his expectation of his fighters is "Do what you say you're going to do." So, that's what I want out of him. And Spartacus---I know you're right man. But, I'm not giving up.

I believe we as a community can make it happen. They always talk about the fights "people want to see". I want to be vocal. I think twitter is stupid but I'm about to get an account just to razz him daily. I'm gonna razz him so much that he finally breaks and says "thanks for the motivation, here are two cage side tickets. One for you and then one for the super hot chick you're going to bring". Then, I'm gonna say, have Arianny sit next to me. Then, he'll say, ok, well, she wants you anyways. Then, we're gonna make out on camera while Rogan thanks me for making this happen, and I'll say you're welcome to everyone. And, I'll give a shout out to all of you who have supported the endeavor, and we, as a team, will forever remember the positive influence we had on the world.
    Keem said:

+1

GSP doesn't even fight!

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

Keem said:

+1

GSP doesn't even fight!
    How's that and GSP has a belt?

Nick doesn't fight, because he keeps losing shots and getting swept on scorecards.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Keem said:

Keem said:

+1

GSP doesn't even fight!

Nick doesn't fight, because he keeps losing shots and getting swept on scorecards.
    Well GSP has the belt because the rules are flawed

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    If so many want a super fight,what does that say about the job Dana and the UFc are doing to keep fans interested?
    I will ad fuel to that fire,why did they all of a sudden get involved with women's MMA,when they clearly had a big marketing name in Carano AND cyborg.
    I think both answers are obvious,the UFC is slipping,they are running out of ways to keep the interest.Their ONLY goal has been to MASS market this product all over the world.You think quantity over quality is SMART work by the UFC?

Dana wants guys to bang but does NOT reward them,you could get paid 7k ,be in an absolute war,lose,be cut with nothing to show for your efforts.
    So where is the training...TUF?That is not there to increase the talent or train fighters properly,that is there to make money and further market the sport.Where is the incentives?In other sports,you could have NEVER faced a pro in your entire life,put up some numbers in the minors and you might get more money than ANY UFC fighter will ever make.Are 7k-15k contracts incentives,are they fair value,definitely not.

The point is,they got an arrogant pissant running the show as President and the mafia boys are using amateur hour marketing gimmicks.
    We all know how volatile and unreliable Nick Diaz is,do you think Dana had a backup plan ,if all a sudden Nick was caught by police with dope or just went AWOL,i highly doubt it.The same way he had no back up plan when Hendo screwed over the Jones fight.Oh ya his backup was an instant cell phone call to a 185 loser....pathetic.

The UFC will be back on track growing as a sport and an entertainment entity,when the right people are in charge,starting with a REAL president,someone like Coker would be 200% better.

Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    Great points Zaksame.

Here are my inputs:
    1.) I think the move to women's MMA does seem gimmicky. However, Ronda is different than Carano because she has very real and serious talent. Carano is pretty good. Cyborg is great also. However, I don't think she's that relatable. That's why they couldn't make the move with her. With Carano...she's pretty much retired isn't she? I think they could sense building a foundation on her might not be that solid. However, I'm glad the UFC moved forward with women's MMA. I hope they don't jeopardize it with trying to play to sex appeal. though.

2.) The rewards and incentive system is asinine. Any UFC fighter should be able to fight full time. People having to hold up second jobs to support their training is crazy. I think they should set up a minimum contract for low end and newer fighters that is like a year contract not based on specific fights or specific fight outcomes. I'm sure some great talent has been lost on account of not being able to support the bills. However, I do love that fighters in this sport stay hungry for a very long time. I hate watching over paid athletes who don't care about their outcomes. I went to an NBA game once and I got wasted the night before. The night I got wasted, I saw 3 NBA players wasted as well who had to play tomorrow. Then, both teams sucked and didn't try. It was crazy. I wanted my money back.

3.) Regarding arrogant president...... I don't know. I like Dana's attitude and fearlessness. I don't think he needs to bait this hook and leave it in the water for years though. Some more business sense would definitely help. If they gave us the super fights we wanted to see, we would all be enthused to see how they played out, then we would have additional questions. I think it would all around raise the level of intrigue in the sport. I think the UFC has done some great things to popularize the sport in the USA. They made stats and more relatable periods, and took out some of the super violent parts of the sport to make it a little less crude and more acceptable. These were all great decisions I think. But yes, sometimes, when a plan falls through, there has been very poor planning. I have some major bones to pick with Jonny Bones regarding that Hendo fight. I think there were things he did wrong. He essentially wouldn't fight anybody but Hendo. It's not like he has been some perennial champ who's been a long time contributor to the UFC. As far as I'm concerned, he shouldn't quite have that leeway that is reserved for long time champs and great ambassadors. He's a great fighter, but he still has dues to pay to get there in my mind. Him not accepting any other fight had a huge impact on other people's careers...and I think that's really selfish of him.
    edited March 2013

Keem said:

Keem said:

+1

GSP doesn't even fight!

Well GSP has the belt because the rules are flawed
    He outstrikes guys too and that's not a flawed rule
    Post edited by Keem on

Megumi Fuji

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    i think womens mma fights should be held in a cage full of vegetable oil, they should compete in lingerie and they should fight each other with pillows

except for cyroid. she looks like a dude.
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    They need womans 115lb division so my boo Megumi Fujii can get it in in the octagon. She is practically everything the UFC is selling Rousey on, but has been doing it for way longer; in mma

Megumi Fuji

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,215Free
    We are getting a superfight. JDS vs. Hunt FTW!

how the **** is JDS vs Hunt a superfight?Hunt is no longer young bro
    edited March 2013

Because it is. What does age have to do with it? Anderson is no longer a spring chicken either.

Oh and don't be surprized if Hunt KTFO of JDS and makes him look like this after the fight.

After Cain beating...
    After Hunt beating...

baby ruth....ruth... lmfao!
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,928Free
    Lets just go all pride and have Cain vs Aldo

Because it is. What does age have to do with it? Anderson is no longer a spring chicken either.

Oh and don't be surprized if Hunt KTFO of JDS and makes him look like this after the fight.

After Cain beating...
    After Hunt beating...

because it is? :)) 8-}

After Cain beating...
    After Hunt beating...

and to compare AS and Hunt is simply 8-}
    Im not comparing the two but Hunt as an mma fighter is getting better with age and in that respect they share something in common. I still don't see how age is at all relevant to if it's a superfight or not. Hunt is still more than a challenge for JDS and that's all that matters not his age.

So what is the golden age limit. 39 too old? How bout 38? No, is 37 ok. lmao!

It's definitely a super fight. Any Super Samoan fight is.