Should There Be A Layoff Cap

BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,496Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
Be4 a champ is stripped of thier title

I ask cuz Dominick Cruz has been out for 15 months and that's a long time...and we don't even know when he will be back

Now I'm not a hater...in fact I'm a huge fan...and I think if he comes back 100 percent he can beat Barao but this has been a long time

So I ask should the be a cap for how long a champ can not fight no matter the reason

I think an 18 month cap should be set...one year and a half is long...and when a former champ comes back after being stripped he can have a title shot no matter the order of the divison

And if you think there should be a cap...how long should it be

Should There Be A Layoff Cap

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Sig record
40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>

Comments

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    Yes (A Champ Sould Be Stripped)
    GSP should be stripped
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    PATSTER said:

That is what the interim championship is for.

what if the interim champ refuses to defend it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    No (A Champ Has To Be Beaten)
    The Interim Champion should be made to defend the belt until the Champion is fit and ready to return

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,760Free
    Yes, 6 months
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,976Free
    They should be stripped if they refuse a fight not due to injury or something and they should have it if they dont fight at least once every say 6 months at max then belt gets taken away.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,496Free
    PATSTER said:

That is what the interim championship is for.

I'm not saying an injury is the only reason...i just used cruz cuz hes been out the longest...what if its a movie(rampage),illness(hardy),or competition in another sport(Palhares)

Just as a example

So do u think its fair that a champ gets hurt and is out for asking as Cruz for like 15 months...then let's say they pick to do a movie like rampage and is out for another 6 months for a total of 21 months

No one has done that cuz to not set a cap some thing like that can happen...a champ regardless the reason should not be able to hold on to the belt even if he has a reason
    Sig record
    40-21

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

PATSTER said:

If you hold up the division for anything other than an injury or illness you deserve to lose your title.

Ok got yah...just wanted to know for sure if thats how u ment it

Sig record
    40-21

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    PATSTER said:

If you hold up the division for anything other than an injury or illness you deserve to lose your title.

this...but...if an injury is longer then the worlds mma record...that GSP shattered...then he should of been stripped after 4 yrs =D>
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    I think people seem to forget that there is only so many belts.Why do we accept all the other fights,they are not for belts?
    You don't need a belt to make fights important.
    Also when a guy be it GSP or whomever holds a belt up,it is NOT at the weight they claim to be fighting at.anyhow.

Here is another thing,JDS held that belt,what everyone thought he was the best just because he held that belt?MOST of the intelligent fans knew Cain would win a rematch,he was the REAL champion all along.

I am GSP fan but even i know as of right now ,he might not be the best,he is more rounded versus the entire division,but there are a few guys that can defeat him.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,626Free
    PATSTER said:

Dhat if your whole family got hit with a snake? Do you get a mourning period?

PATSTER said:

Dhat if your whole family got hit with a snake? Do you get a mourning period?
    Well its to bad JDS still ain't champ...I don't think anyone beside JDS planned to hit his wife with thier snake ;)
    Sig record
    40-21

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    JDS will get his belt back ;)
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,067Premium
    No (A Champ Has To Be Beaten)
    Depends.

After 6 months - interim champ
    After 9 months - interim champ defends title
    Afrer 1 year - stripped.
    ^ I agree.
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,626Free
    If the Interim champ has more title defences than the actual champ they get promoted to champion.
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,045Free
    BruteDion said:

Be4 a champ is stripped of thier title

I ask cuz Dominick Cruz has been out for 15 months and that's a long time...and we don't even know when he will be back

Now I'm not a hater...in fact I'm a huge fan...and I think if he comes back 100 percent he can beat Barao but this has been a long time

So I ask should the be a cap for how long a champ can not fight no matter the reason

I think an 18 month cap should be set...one year and a half is long...and when a former champ comes back after being stripped he can have a title shot no matter the order of the divison

And if you think there should be a cap...how long should it be

i agree the champ should be stripped if he cant fulfill his engagement but that pauses a problem, especially if the champ has been reigning for a long time. imagine Silva gets injured..

if he's stripped the new champ is but a paper champ.. and if when he comes back he's scheduled automatically for a title fight, well.. whats the difference between that and having an interim champ.?
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    YES ! ! ! ! ! ! YES ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    I voted "no." Even if you strip the title the fans will still know who the real champ is.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

I voted "no." Even if you strip the title the fans will still know who the real champ is.

Not in all cases...Dominick Cruz is the real champ right now and yet he get no love from no one...even in this thread lol

I'm a fan and think hes Baraos better but once it gets past 18 months o would lime him stripped unless he has a fight on deck
    Sig record
    40-21

• MaximumBobMaximumBob Posts: 1,288Free
    edited March 2013
    I'm a big fan of Cruz, but he should be stripped of the belt. While he sits it out, other fighters should be fighting for the belt, not getting the scraps from the table. Title's like number one contender or interim champion are pretty meaningless unless your next fight is for the world championship belt, simply because your very next fight could be a loss and down the ladder you go.

Allowing the champ to sit it out effectively puts the rest of the division on hold, at least in relation to belt. That is completely unfair to all the other fighters in the division, all of whom's ultimate goal is to become champion.
    Post edited by MaximumBob on
    My definition of hell, you get there and meet the person you could have been - Frank Mir.
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,640Free
    Frank Mir was stripped of the Heavyweight title after 14 months, so it does make you wonder why some fighters are given longer and others are not.
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    I think the ring girls should be stripped, even if they haven't had a layoff.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Megasoup said:

I think the ring girls should be stripped, even if they haven't had a layoff.

And see arianny's beat up vag?...no thank you
    Sig record
    40-21

• DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    yes 4 months :P
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    Also all champs should be demanded to fight at least 3 times a year.

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,004Free
    It should be set at two years. Using and interm title any longer than that is not fair to the interm champion. I would give Cruz a lttle extra time, ut if he is expected to be out longer than two years, Renan should be crowned champ and his title reign should officially be recorded as starting when he won the interm title.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    AxeMurduh said:

You can't "demand" or force somebody to get in the ring and literally fight another grown man, LoL

You can ask the champs to fight but if they decline the fight there isn't much you can do. It's a tricky situation sometimes. A good example is when Jones turned down the Sonnen fight on 8 days notice.

Fighters who want to get paid or need to get paid are usually more active. The champs are paid well.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

AxeMurduh said:

You can't "demand" or force somebody to get in the ring and literally fight another grown man, LoL

You can ask the champs to fight but if they decline the fight there isn't much you can do. It's a tricky situation sometimes. A good example is when Jones turned down the Sonnen fight on 8 days notice.

Fighters who want to get paid or need to get paid are usually more active. The champs are paid well.
    Yes you can...you are his employer...if a champ refuses to defend it for a long time you strip him

The jones situation is different...that was on short notice...any fighter SHOULD have the right to refure a short notice fight

But we are talking normal situations here....where a champ is ,injured,illness,refusing to fight...we are not talking short term short notice fights
    Sig record
    40-21

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    edited March 2013
    Out for over 12 months = automatic Bellator or Flyweight style tournament.

I would be hoping for guys to get injured just to see a tourney go down.
    Post edited by Omoplataypus on
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,315Free
    BruteDion said:

PoloRidah said:

AxeMurduh said:

Yes you can...you are his employer...if a champ refuses to defend it for a long time you strip him

The jones situation is different...that was on short notice...any fighter SHOULD have the right to refure a short notice fight

But we are talking normal situations here....where a champ is ,injured,illness,refusing to fight...we are not talking short term short notice fights
    You still can't demand they fight. You can only offer or ask them to fight. If they don't want to fight they can simply decline. I didn't say negative things wouldn't happen if they declined to fight and obviously it won't make them popular with the fans. LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

BruteDion said:

PoloRidah said:

AxeMurduh said:

You still can't demand they fight. You can only offer or ask them to fight. If they don't want to fight they can simply decline. I didn't say negative things wouldn't happen if they declined to fight and obviously it won't make them popular with the fans. LoL
    well yah ur can't force them...but if they refuse they should he stripped no matter what if its a regular scheduled fight and in the weight class
    Sig record
    40-21