Firas Zahabi: Not sure how long GSP has left

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Firas Zahabi, head trainer of UFC welterweight king Georges St Pierre (24-2), says he isn’t sure the Canadian has too many fights left in him. In the wake of St Pierre’s eighth consecutive title defense, Zahabi told Sherdog the champ’s ”borderline insane” training camps were starting to take their toll. He said the idea of “cleaning out” a division was a myth and GSP was less likely than other fighters to compete through his mid-30s.

“His training camps are very difficult. I’ve done a lot of training camps. I could tell you the energy, time and money and hours spent doing a GSP training camp is ridiculous. It’s borderline insane. There’s a lot of effort going into preparing him for his fights. Can he live this lifestyle for another four or five years? I don’t know. Because it’s not a balanced lifestyle. It’s not a balanced lifestyle for him … He’s giving up a lot of free time and leisure time and experiences he could be having in life to maintain his title, to maintain this excellence. It’s a difficult thing to do. He’s going to have to make that choice one fight at a time. Does he want to go through another training camp? Right now at this time, yes, for sure. There’s no doubt in my mind he wants to do another one, but down the line, two or three more training camps, is he still going to want to do it? That’s up to him. Does he still have the fire and the passion? We’ll see … There’s always a guy that pops up. Jake Ellenberger looked great, and then there’s going to be another guy. There’s Demian Maia. Demian Maia’s on a win streak. There’s always an up-and-comer. You can’t forget that every time there’s a show, the deck gets shuffled. That’s why I don’t really believe there’s nobody else. Look at Robbie Lawler, for instance. He had a tremendous win. Very impressive win. That guy can hit you with one punch and it’s over. Same thing with Jake Ellenberger, same thing with [Johny] Hendricks. There are so many studs out there. Tomorrow, when you run out of them, the next day you’ll find a new guy with a great performance, like Erick Silva, for instance. I’m sure he’s going to go on a winning streak. He just lost to Jon Fitch. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins three, four fights in a row. I wouldn’t be surprised at all. It wouldn’t shock me the least bit, and he could become a number one contender. There’s always going to be another guy. There’s too many good guys out there. I think it’s a myth that the division can be cleaned out.”

From MMA Lives Here - feel free to subscribe for updates!
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,313Free
    Whoever mentioned that GSP was going to retire soon, appears to be correct.

I want to see him lose before he retires.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    So GSP may very well be considering retiring before too long. Warwest will be delighted to hear.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,225Free
    Getting real tired of this act. Does he expect people to feel sorry for Georges. I know a lot of fighters local and professional that fight more in a night than Georges does in a year. They don't have all of his coaches, doctors, top of the line training equipment, and conveniences. They work full time jobs on the side and have families.

How pompous to think that other fighters aren't training as hard or sacrificing as much. No champ has fought less then GSP has during his reign. If these are Georges true thoughts then it might be time to move on and let a real fighter have a slice.

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,841Free
    Anderson will send him off into retirement next year. Not even trolling here. Georges wants him as his retirement fight and, win or lose, he wants to quit after that.
    edited March 2013
    bluesy said:

Anderson will send him off into retirement next year. Not even trolling here. Georges wants him as his retirement fight and, win or lose, he wants to quit after that.

GSP wants absolutely nothing to do with Anderson Silva. He will continue to duck that fight and will probably retire before accepting it.

GSP reminds me of Josh Samman on the current season of TuF. GSP makes ducking Anderson Silva as blatant as Samman ducked Hall.

Although I really can't blame GSP. Anderson would put a beating on him.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,411Free
    So basically he will fight Hendricks, maybe one or two other WW's but if they win everyone has the GSP is just past it excuse, then if the time comes he will duck Silva and say "I'm definitely past it now maybe if it was a few years ago" lmao.. got his excuses locked in the vault early enough.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,756Free
    InB4WarWest

The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,756Free
    Thank god!!

**** this d-bag
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,004Free
    He needs to get KOd by Hendricks first, then he can retire.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

edited March 2013
    waikru said:

He needs to get KOd by Hendricks first, then he can retire.

This is the best route in my opinion. The GSP fans have already seen enough of him winning fights using "control" on the ground. Now it's time for the GSP haters to see something they like. It's been a while since GSP/Serra 1.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

GSP wants absolutely nothing to do with Anderson Silva. He will continue to duck that fight and will probably retire before accepting it.

GSP reminds me of Josh Samman on the current season of TuF. GSP makes ducking Anderson Silva as blatant as Samman ducked Hall.

I think Zahabi basically confirmed those masterplan reports that came out a while back. He didn't deny any of it, but said it would be nice if things worked out that way. Meaning, Georges only has one or a few title defenses left and then he'll agree to meet Anderson. He doesn't like to talk about it because overlooking his immediate opponent cost him once, but he does have a goal that he wants to accomplish and Anderson is the toughest boss at the last level.
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    It's an interesting thing to read...we forget just how grueling and insane training must be for someone to literally be head shoulders above the entire world. I could only imagine how crazy the training goes, and I'm sure it's not something that 99% of people would be able to go through

For GSP, people just neeed to accept that he's not great at finishing and that he doesn't want the silva fight. People also need to accept that he's a phenomenal worker and talented enough to be the hands-down best WW on the planet. Hopefully people just kind of get beyond the obvious stuff we all know and talk about his recent performances. Although warwest is funny when he comments on gsp
    Sisti said:

It's an interesting thing to read...we forget just how grueling and insane training must be for someone to literally be head shoulders above the entire world. I could only imagine how crazy the training goes, and I'm sure it's not something that 99% of people would be able to go through

For GSP, people just neeed to accept that he's not great at finishing and that he doesn't want the silva fight. People also need to accept that he's a phenomenal worker and talented enough to be the hands-down best WW on the planet. Hopefully people just kind of get beyond the obvious stuff we all know and talk about his recent performances. Although warwest is funny when he comments on gsp

I don't believe GSP is training any harder then the rest of the hungry WW's on the UFC roster.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,004Free
    It looks like Sisti is selling wolf tickets. I am not buying.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

I think Zahabi basically confirmed those masterplan reports that came out a while back. He didn't deny any of it, but said it would be nice if things worked out that way. Meaning, Georges only has one or a few title defenses left and then he'll agree to meet Anderson. He doesn't like to talk about it because overlooking his immediate opponent cost him once, but he does have a goal that he wants to accomplish and Anderson is the toughest boss at the last level.
    Well I hope I am wrong about GSP not wanting the Anderson fight, but I truely believe he wants nothing to do with the Spider.

GSP has never shown any interest of fighting someone in a higher weightclass then him, and not only is Anderson in a higher weightclass he is arguably the best fighter in the world.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free
    Basically What Firaz says is that GSP is not a superhuman and he does have a break point sooner than GSP himself thought.
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,965Free
    Gsp will fight two more easy fights then retire, passing the belt to someone else. Only to come out of retirement to fight silva in a one off thus giving gsp a good deal of excuses to use for when he looses, such as coming out of retirement to fight Silva as ' Something for the fans '.
    edited March 2013
    Identity said:

Gsp will fight two more easy fights then retire, passing the belt to someone else. Only to come out of retirement to fight silva in a one off thus giving gsp a good deal of excuses to use for when he looses, such as coming out of retirement to fight Silva as ' Something for the fans '.

I don't know how easy his last two fights are going to be if the UFC actually matches him with the number one contenders. It isn't like Dan Hardy(no offense to Hardy fans) is next in line again. These guys know what GSP is going to do out there. GSP has been coming out of his fights looking like hatchet wound.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

Well I hope I am wrong about GSP not wanting the Anderson fight, but I truely believe he wants nothing to do with the Spider.

GSP has never shown any interest of fighting someone in a higher weightclass then him, and not only is Anderson in a higher weightclass he is arguably the best fighter in the world.
    I felt that way, too, but these Zahabi interviews in the last few months have been very encouraging. Also, I get the sense that Dana has already talked extensively with Georges about it, particularly after the Condit fight, and agreed to certain terms with regards to the conditions and other details. It seems like there's quite a bit of dialogue going on between Dana and Anderson, as well, and it's going very good (they bought him a Bentley after a three-hour discussion, after all). I just think the latter two want it too bad for this thing not to happen within the next two years or so, and even if Georges is against it -- which I don't believe to be the case anymore -- he's really not that big enough of a diva to trump the Dana card when it comes to the final decision of these things.

I figure it makes sense to do Silva-Jones in New York at the end of the year, then do Silva-GSP at the Cowboys Stadium in 2014. JMO.
    PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

I don't know how easy his last two fights are going to be if the UFC actually matches him with the number one contenders. It isn't like Dan Hardy(no offense to Hardy fans) is next in line again. These guys know what GSP is going to do out there. GSP has been coming out of his fights looking like hatchet wound.
    He will lay n prey hendricks, we know this. I think Ellenberger would be after which would end in the same way. Gsp just does'nt feel like he is evolving along with everyone else, so he know's his time short.
    bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

I felt that way, too, but these Zahabi interviews in the last few months have been very encouraging. Also, I get the sense that Dana has already talked extensively with Georges about it, particularly after the Condit fight, and agreed to certain terms with regards to the conditions and other details. It seems like there's quite a bit of dialogue going on between Dana and Anderson, as well, and it's going very good (they bought him a Bentley after a three-hour discussion, after all). I just think the latter two want it too bad for this thing not to happen within the next two years or so, and even if Georges is against it -- which I don't believe to be the case anymore -- he's really not that big enough of a diva to trump the Dana card when it comes to the final decision of these things.

I figure it makes sense to do Silva-Jones in New York at the end of the year, then do Silva-GSP at the Cowboys Stadium in 2014. JMO.
    If this happened, I'd be buying wolf tickets to one of them. I have family in New York and my wife has family in Texas.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

edited March 2013
    bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

I see these superfights being put to the side just for NY.
    Post edited by Identity on
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    bluesy said:

PoloRidah said:

bluesy said:

i think its true too.

gsp has stayed on top by approaching mma athletically, he has gone out time after time and just been able to outwork everyone, and run whatever gameplan he wanted for as long as the fight would go.

people scorn his lack of finishes, but on the other hand its impressive that he has had so many 5 round fights, and swept them all. think of the kind of shape he has to be in to do that, and being in there so long against another top guy means your getting your lumps too.

he has had an extremely grinding title run, i think he fights hendricks, then win or lose he will take some time off, prep for silva and have a retirement superfight.

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,496Free
    I called this 2 years ago

But a few things that I don't like bout what his coach said is this...so **** what...boo hoo its **** hard to say on top...and a lot more people have done it just as good if not better for longer...do we hear Silva's camp saying how hard it is

We know its damn hard...its alot harder then what most of us on here will ever do...but don't go fishing for petty and excuses when others have done this....did randy say how hard it was to stay with the young lions of his time...what about chuck?

Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
    PATSTER said:

He's only 31 years old lmao

He's acting like he's older then Anderson. LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,496Free
    WarWest said:

Thank god!!

**** this d-bag

You know what it is....GSP is bout to get busted for TRT and this is just a ploy to get petty for when it happens

GSP hugged: oh GSP works so hard...he needed the extra juice to get it done...he works harder then everyone else...give him a break

I just helped you hate \m/
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
    Big Nog's a 36 yr old in the body of a 55 yr old and that guys been in wars. Gsp has no excuse to not carry on for another idk 5 years at least.
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    who exactly did he just lay on?

go watch the 2 gracie breakdowns of gsp top game. you can call him safe or boring or cant finish, but you cant be that ignorant to think its as simple as lying on people

he is way older than anderson in fight years. anderson has had all kinds of quick finishes lately, and even before. only chael really gave him a hard time, that was his only 5 rounder i think

gsp doesnt go tko people in 6 minutes and go home with a little mouse under his eye, he has to work his **** off for 25 minutes to get his wins
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,225Free
    kyo_sa said:

he is way older than anderson in fight years.

[-(

edited March 2013
    kyo_sa said:

who exactly did he just lay on?

go watch the 2 gracie breakdowns of gsp top game. you can call him safe or boring or cant finish, but you cant be that ignorant to think its as simple as lying on people

he is way older than anderson in fight years. anderson has had all kinds of quick finishes lately, and even before. only chael really gave him a hard time, that was his only 5 rounder i think

gsp doesnt go tko people in 6 minutes and go home with a little mouse under his eye, he has to work his **** off for 25 minutes to get his wins

Anderson Silva is 33-4 currently and GSP is 24-2. Anderson's first fight was in 1997 and GSP's first fight was in 2002 (professional).

Anderson's fights simply do not last as long as GSP's because he is that much better. If you had a choice of ending a fight quick or letting it last 25 mins, which would you chose?

I don't agree that GSP is way older then Anderson in "fight years" considering their records and when they both began their professional careers.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4