Firas Zahabi on GSP’s jab

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Georges St Pierre’s (24-2) head trainer, Firas Zahabi, is a big believer in the jab. GSP employed to jab to great effect against Nick Diaz (26-9) at UFC 158, surprising some fans by winning the stand-up exchanges as well as the ground battle. Zahabi said it was one of the Canadian’s greatest weapons and a technique that could beat any other punch in the book. He told Sherdog’s Cheap Seats program the jab was always going to be an important part of the game plan against Diaz.

“Everybody kind of thinks they know how to jab, but they really don’t. A lot of times you show them the real jabbing mechanics, different types of jabs for different types of situations, and I haven’t come across many MMA fighters that are familiar with the system of jabbing. … It’s very complex. It’s not that simple. When to jab, how to jab, the context. When can you jab without paying for it? Without getting clipped? Without getting countered? You saw Georges jab (Nick) Diaz beautifully. It was a good punch to keep Diaz on his heels. Diaz, once he gets going with two, three-punch combinations, then it becomes an avalanche of flurries and you can’t stop him. Once he gets going like that, you can’t stop him. Georges used the jab not to even let him get going. He cut him off, just like he did with (Josh) Koscheck. Sometimes the jab is called for, and sometimes it’s not. The biggest weakness to a jab is the kick. If a guy’s a powerful kicker, it’s hard to jab. Like (Carlos) Condit is a little bit harder to jab because he has such a powerful kick. A round kick could beat a jab, but any punch will lose to a jab. If you throw an uppercut and I throw a jab correctly, I’ll beat your uppercut. I’ll beat your hook. I’ll beat your overhand right. If I jab correctly, a jab should cut off any punch.”

From MMA Lives Here - feel free to subscribe for updates!
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,385Free
    That is a "TLDR" if it's about a jab.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Built2DestroyBuilt2Destroy Posts: 288Free
    All I got from that was blah blah jabs are great, to sum it up.
    Norwegian guy here, so excuse my English
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/26/3558106/ufc-154-georges-st-pierre-the-jab-judo-chop-mma-analysis

this explains it in much more detail.

any other jack slack readers on here? this man is brilliant, and he has pieces on a lot of guys, check him out if your interested in understanding technique
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    edited March 2013
    skullbone said:

The jab is an important and underutilized tool.

been saying that for years

double jab, overhand right
    Post edited by fobar on

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,372Free
    for all the tldrs

gsp is goat of jabs, can cut of any punch with his jab, can only get head kicked

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    edited March 2013
    HE is not a boxer,he catches guy with the Jab because they are already on the defensive worried about TD's.
    One power punch can end a fight,GSP will not end any fights with jabs,especially since he NEVER follows it up with anything.
    He is getting older and losing cardio,he needs to start training ways to END fights,not prolong them to 5 round jab fests.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    the jab is the only usefull punch in MMA.....any other punch is simply for show or for those who aren't skilled enough to throw a jab
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    edited March 2013
    zaksame said:

HE is not a boxer,he catches guy with the Jab because they are already on the defensive worried about TD's.
    One power punch can end a fight,GSP will not end any fights with jabs,especially since he NEVER follows it up with anything.
    He is getting older and losing cardio,he needs to start training ways to END fights,not prolong them to 5 round jab fests.

There is officially a tear in the universe

That post makes sense ^^^
    Post edited by WarWest on
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    zaksame said:

Maybe his opponents can roll over and die for him lol

He's training to finish guys (users); it's just his opponents won't let him

(Taking Nick's back, Cutting Condit, Dropping Shields, attacking Koschecks eye, kimura and armbar attempts on Hardy)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    gsp cant finish a ham sandwich but he does a pretty good job of making a rape joke out of all of his opponents.
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    zaksame said:

thats his biggest problem, i agree completely. and i was talking about jack slack up there, and thats his analysis too, that gsp should be following up with his right and putting more together behind that jab

against condit he would land that 1-2 after the jab here and there , have him backing up and then just shoot a double. either that or he just barely throws the right at all, he threw it maybe twice that i can think of against diaz

really did master that jab though...he clearly got tired in the third against diaz and was still getting there first for the next two rounds.
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Man, everything about GSP is a snoozer, even his trainers. I mean, rambling on and on about a jab? Firas, you didn't create the jab. It's something that GSP has finally picked up on, but thus in the process forgot the rest of his game. Good job
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,652Free
    WarWest said:

zaksame said:

There is officially a tear in the universe

That post makes sense ^^^
    Someone's bored... reading zaksame's posts
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate
    Best jab in the business.
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 447Free
    I am pro jabs, jabs are great. Why bothering with double jab? Use triple or quadri jab. b-(
    Tina Turner, secondsout, Steve Podborski, zaksame, Nate Diaz - when you are legit, people want you to quit