In All Seriousness

CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
Alright. No GSP bashing. Swear.

This whole "Decimal in Montreal" thing is being blown up and overlooked by Diaz fans and GSP fans respectively. And the parties are just arguing with each other just for the sake of "their fighter" or cause they dislike the other. But we need to look past the fighters, past the fight, and realize that this decimal thing is very serious, assuming that it is indeed true.

We need to come together as MMA fans and demand to know the truth behind this. We've all seen the threads that knocked boxing and how much of a joke it is. But right here, in front of our eyes, is something that looks and sounds almost exactly the same as something that might happen in boxing. We cannot go down that road. Dana White and the UFC cannot go down that road, as DW has said he would never do.

I know I'll get fake GSP fans in here saying it's just a decimal and it doesn't make a difference. As far as the actual fight went, you are right, it doesn't. Hell, Diaz could have came in 25 lbs overweight, and carried a baseball bat with him into the cage, he still might have lost. But we can't let there be a standard set, not with one of the UFC's top superstars, not with one of their champions, and not in the hometown of one of the greatest champions ever seen in their division. Bottom line is, the UFC, MMA, and the athletic commissions have to let the cards fall how they may, not try to desperately try to take control and mold the future bathed (not in grease!) in greed and corruption.

For those of you who think GSP made weight and this is a non-issue, remember two facts. GSP has been said to have weigh as much as 194 on fight night by his own trainers. Gaining a whopping 24 pounds in a single day? Is it impossible to think that he has a hard time weighing in at 170? That's just what he gained back in a single day, and I'm sure he weighs even more than that walking around. And Georges was reported to have not only injured himself before the fight (though now apparently he's okay from what was first diagnosed as a 6 month injury), but he was also said to have the flu. I'm sure having the flu alone would make cutting all that water difficult, but spraining, tweaking or injuring, whatever it was, his leg? No way.
Tagged:

Comments

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,655Free
    Truth bombs ^^^

****storm will cometh
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,041Premium
    What happened?
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,817Free

This whole "Decimal in Montreal" thing is being blown up and overlooked by Diaz fans and GSP fans respectively. And the parties are just arguing with each other just for the sake of "their fighter" or cause they dislike the other. But we need to look past the fighters, past the fight, and realize that this decimal thing is very serious, assuming that it is indeed true.

We need to come together as MMA fans and demand to know the truth behind this. We've all seen the threads that knocked boxing and how much of a joke it is. But right here, in front of our eyes, is something that looks and sounds almost exactly the same as something that might happen in boxing. We cannot go down that road. Dana White and the UFC cannot go down that road, as DW has said he would never do.

I know I'll get fake GSP fans in here saying it's just a decimal and it doesn't make a difference. As far as the actual fight went, you are right, it doesn't. Hell, Diaz could have came in 25 lbs overweight, and carried a baseball bat with him into the cage, he still might have lost. But we can't let there be a standard set, not with one of the UFC's top superstars, not with one of their champions, and not in the hometown of one of the greatest champions ever seen in their division. Bottom line is, the UFC, MMA, and the athletic commissions have to let the cards fall how they may, not try to desperately try to take control and mold the future bathed (not in grease!) in greed and corruption.

For those of you who think GSP made weight and this is a non-issue, remember two facts. GSP has been said to have weigh as much as 194 on fight night by his own trainers. Gaining a whopping 24 pounds in a single day? Is it impossible to think that he has a hard time weighing in at 170? That's just what he gained back in a single day, and I'm sure he weighs even more than that walking around. And Georges was reported to have not only injured himself before the fight (though now apparently he's okay from what was first diagnosed as a 6 month injury), but he was also said to have the flu. I'm sure having the flu alone would make cutting all that water difficult, but spraining, tweaking or injuring, whatever it was, his leg? No way.

That doesn't happen in boxing title fights.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Goat post. This Canadian corruption won't help gsp's legazee
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    lol....the only thing GSP would had to have done was take off his shorts and hide behind a towel. Then see where the decimal lands. It's not like it was 171.5.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Boxing doesn't need to go through with the hassle, they'll just ignore the fight blatantly and pick the winner with paid judges
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
    Mangasm said:

Boxing doesn't need to go through with the hassle, they'll just ignore the fight blatantly and pick the winner with paid judges
    Boxing trolling, but you can do better. There is non-stop complaining about UFC judging on this forum.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    edited March 2013
    As a GSP fan, I agree that he shouldn't get special treatment and if that's what this is, then it's a very dispicable thing that shouldn't happen again. It's hard to be serious and straightforward though when everyone gets all up in arms about the situation for either side. I stand by my favorite fighters, but the sport as a whole comes first.
    Post edited by Galvanik on
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    I think that the big thing that everybody is missing is that Dana would have been pissed if his champion didn't make weight, so the issue has more to do with GSP not being made to sweat out the extra weight before the weigh ins. He was obviously having a difficult time making the weight cut and it was to the point where it was going to impact his performance. Just look how GSP gassed in only the third round. Could you imagine when he would have started to tire if he was forced to cut additional weight when his body was already at its breaking point? The point is that when you cut tremendous amounts of weight there are drawbacks. You will eventually run into a bad weigt cut. Hes 32 years old. He probably can't cut weight like he used to.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    ^
    Agreed. I can guarantee that we will never see gsp fight out of Canada again, it's too risky with his steroids and weight issues
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Users are just chomping at the bit at this point to find some dirt on GSP..
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free

lol....the only thing GSP would had to have done was take off his shorts and hide behind a towel. Then see where the decimal lands. It's not like it was 171.5.

With GSP being sick? And weighing as much as he does? You don't find it possible at all that he could have been over? and if this was such a case, then why didn't get just drop trou?
    Keem said:

Did you even get past the first few letters? Or does anything with at least 5 words in a sentence scare you?

Keem said:

And Captain is a GSP fan
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine

With GSP being sick? And weighing as much as he does? You don't find it possible at all that he could have been over? and if this was such a case, then why didn't get just drop trou?
    Keem said:

Did you even get past the first few letters? Or does anything with at least 5 words in a sentence scare you?

I did and no
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Keem said:

Keem said:

I did and no
    Just read the thread from top to bottom

my comment wasn't directed at OP

Megumi Fuji

Keem said:

It is comments like this ^^^

That make me happy CS is back

CS is a GSP fan but he has no problem with pointing out the fact that he has flaws

GSP fans should take a page out of CS's book, seriously
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Not just GSP fans, all fans of every fighter everywhere.

Though yes, especially GSP fake fans
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    edited March 2013
    Geesus,doesn't anyone pay attention?
    it has already been stated ,this was NOTHING new,it has been that way for 5 events.
    This has truly been a GSP thing because if you actually care,why not mention Hendrick's ?He weighed in a lb over,so he might have been almost 2 lbs over.

The most intrelligent thing to do is NOT get caught up in ANYTHING ever psoted at BJPenn.com,it is liek a junky tabloid and NEVER listen to anything Diaz or his camp have to say.
    Here is a list of Gracie .....
    1 Royce caught for roids,yes i know this is not Royce's camp,who do you think set him up?
    2 Shield's caught for roids
    3 Nate cant make weight
    4 Diaz goes Awol and ruins the first proposed titel fight
    See a trend here?All accusations are identical to what comes out of that camp,this is most likely why they assume everyone else is up to no good,they are the masters of it.

Remember all the crying after he lost to Condit?Remember all the crying Penn does?Penn+Diaz are made for each other,they should date.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    zaksame said:

it has already been stated ,this was NOTHING new,it has been that way for 5 events.
    This has truly been a GSP thing because if you actually care,why not mention Hendrick's ?He weighed in a lb over,so he might have been almost 2 lbs over.

The most intrelligent thing to do is NOT get caught up in ANYTHING ever psoted at BJPenn.com,it is liek a junky tabloid and NEVER listen to anything Diaz or his camp have to say.
    1 Royce caught for roids,yes i know this is not Royce's camp,who do you think set him up?
    3 Nate cant make weight
    See a trend here?All accusations are identical to what comes out of that camp,this is most likely why they assume everyone else is up to no good,they are the masters of it.

Remember all the crying after he lost to Condit?Remember all the crying Penn does?Penn+Diaz are made for each other,they should date.

Guys like you are giving GSP fans a bad rep. Even if you disagree, pushing the blame on othes by insulting GSP's biggest detractors will never get us anywhere.
    Bet Record: 2-3
    Galvanik said:

zaksame said:

3 Nate cant make weight

Guys like you are giving GSP fans a bad rep. Even if you disagree, pushing the blame on othes by insulting GSP's biggest detractors will never get us anywhere.
    unfortunately that is the cycle that Nick has created for post UFC 158. Blame, blame, and blame

If there was less blaming and complaining we would get more respectable fights like GSP vs Condit imho. Pre and Post

fighting fire w/ fire in this case (on this forum) is only leaving the topic up for the different sides to debate [basically this topic isn't going anywhere]

Megumi Fuji

edited March 2013

Here is a weigh in for Hopkins/Pascal in 2011, in Montreal, they use decimals

Here is another weigh in for an MMA bout at Ringside MMA 13 just last year, also in Montreal. They also use decimals

Post edited by CaptainSuperman on
  • bartolinibartolini Posts: 668Ultimate
    i think a lot of gsp fans are missing the big picture here. Most of the people posting on this subject (can't speak for everyone, there are some trolls here and there) have a problem with the commission not gsp. It seems like gsp fans are very defensive on this subject. If gsp was a pound over, do I think it played an outcome in the fight? Hell no I don't. It's the commission that is protecting (allegedly) their countryman.
    HW: VELASQUEZ, DOS SANTOS, BROWNE

LHW: EVANS, CORMIER, GUS

MW: SPIDER, WEIDMAN, MACHIDA

WW: CONDIT, HENDRICKS, DIAZ

LW: HENDERSON, CERRONE, DIAZ

FW: ALDO, MENDES, SWANSON

BW: FABER

FW: JOHNSON

CHICKS: TATE
    That's exactly the point I tried making in my OP here. It's not about GSP, "their fighter". Sadly, that is the only way people know how to carry on conversations, and interpret them, as attacking or defending "their fighter". It's why I think most GSP fans are fake fans. The ones who defend him at every corner, thinking he is perfect and can do no wrong. They don't realize that constructive criticism is a GOOD thing, a way to get better at your game. If it was up to these fake GSP fans, GSP would never get any better, and he would only lay on his opponents, cause that has always been "good enough" for him, cause "he won...deal with it" is their excuse.

This whole post is bigger than GSP/Diaz, it's about MMA. We can't start going down these shady roads just for a good payday. These guys only care about stuffing their pocket rather than the actual sport and it's integrity and advancement.
    zaksame said:

3 Nate cant make weight

Diaz ruined the press conference, not the fight.
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free

Well to be real honest with all this I think that if the rules for the weigh-ins were truely stating that the decimals are not taken into account then its a non-issue. The regulations for sports competitions are not exactly the same everywhere in the world and this type of variants are, in the end, completely irrelevent.

If Diaz was not informed of that then its a shame and he should've. But the UFC should be responsible of making sure their fighters are informed in advanced of the rules they will have to abide to at each event.

But put in the context of Diaz putting on baseless accusations about GSP juicing during the whole pre-fight, and of his pathetic attitude post-fight, + the hand wraps thing... I have to say that this looks just like sad butthurtness from a guy who's kinda known to refuse defeat everytime it crosses his path.

Also it's important to note that here there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that GSP did actually weigh in at more than 170 lbs. And there is even less evidence that he may have weighed in at 170.9 lbs. The story is, an official told Diaz that they were not taking decimals. Diaz weighed at 169, making it clear that he weighed less than 170, and GSP weighed at 170, which means he could've weighed in at any value from 170.0 to 170.9.

If indeed the rules for weigh ins in Quebec are that decimals are ignored, GSP was probably aware of this and targetted something in the 170 - 170.9 range, knowing that this just meant 170lbs.

And lets also discuss the scale used I mean.. In some place they have a digital indicator which may or may not include a decimal digit. Some may include 2 decimal digits. If they include none that means that in some other places where the weigh-ins took place in the past, the exact same rule applied, because the decimal was simply not available to be read. Was it in fact the case in Quebec? I don't know, i didn't see what their scale looked like..

And in some other places its even less precise than that as they don't even have a digital display and have to adjust a cursor manually, old fashion style.... Its actually very rare that I've heard decimals be mentioned at all at any weigh-in in the UFC. It sometimes happen, but most of the time, it doesn't.

So to me really, if the rules were bent, that's the issue.. And its unfair. But if what is being put forward by the Quebec commission is what's in the books, then just too bad. GSP played by the rules.

I think what makes this whole thing difficult to swallow is that the timeframe of this is the typical butthurt reaction following a loss : the guy says nothing before the fight.. nothing during the fight. nothing even right in the post fight.. and then pops this **** out of his hat and starts swarming the internet and goes so far as to ask a rematch for something that, everyone knows, would've had no impact on the fight anyways.

And about GSP having trouble making weight, well... That would be surprising. You say he weighs 194 and that it's huge but there's no evidence of it. We heard once that he weighed that much and the times after when he spoke about his weight he was back between 185 and 190. And although GSP looked bigger than Diaz its just that Diaz isn't an especially big WW. GSP is actually not the biggest WW and so claiming that his supposed actual walk around weight might be too big as to make it conceivable that he'd miss weight is kind of baseless..

Well to be real honest with all this I think that if the rules for the weigh-ins were truely stating that the decimals are not taken into account then its a non-issue. The regulations for sports competitions are not exactly the same everywhere in the world and this type of variants are, in the end, completely irrelevent.

And about GSP having trouble making weight, well... That would be surprising. You say he weighs 194 and that it's huge but there's no evidence of it. We heard once that he weighed that much and the times after when he spoke about his weight he was back between 185 and 190. And although GSP looked bigger than Diaz its just that Diaz isn't an especially big WW. GSP is actually not the biggest WW and so claiming that his supposed actual walk around weight might be too big as to make it conceivable that he'd miss weight is kind of baseless..
    Two things, go look at the videos I posted right above. Both fights (1 was a boxing fight in 2011, the other an MMA fight just last year) were in Montreal, and both weigh in results included decimals.

And as far as GSP being 194, where have you been? It was spread around here like wildfire when it first came out. Google is your friend

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/28/2140227/ufc-quick-quote-georges-st-pierre-could-weigh-as-much-as-193-pounds
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free

Two things, go look at the videos I posted right above. Both fights (1 was a boxing fight in 2011, the other an MMA fight just last year) were in Montreal, and both weigh in results included decimals.

And as far as GSP being 194, where have you been? It was spread around here like wildfire when it first came out. Google is your friend

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/28/2140227/ufc-quick-quote-georges-st-pierre-could-weigh-as-much-as-193-pounds
    GSP Has said that he was trying to put on weight for a while but when he did, they spent a whole primetime shoot talking about his hard training to gain muscle. GSP has said numerous time that he doesn't pack on muscle easily he's just naturally well bulked but he's having a hard time putting on more weight.

When he spoke of his weight during the pre-fight and post-fight of his fight vs Condit he spoke of weighing between 185 and 190 and that's the latest update on that.

I also thought that he looked smaller than I expected when he showed up at the weigh-ins and for the fight and I really believe that his long layoff without any exercice and the impossibility to keep up with his high intensity training for a while basically had him lose alot of that extra weight he had put on for the Hardy fight and the Shields fight.

As for the weight cutting rules I just read an article stating the exact rules in Quebec for the weigh-ins and there was no specification about the decimals.

The guy had a pretty strong argument about the fact that this was legally pretty much a sure loss for Diaz but I do concede that it can look bad. While this thing alone can be bad press it can still only arise suspicions and isn't a proof in any way that 1 - GSP weighed more than 170, 2- that GSP's camp had anything to do with the decision to disregard the decimals.
    As pointed out before GSP didn't remove his shorts for the weigh-ins and I would've expected him to do so if he really thought that he could be unable to make weight.

Aside from that GSP did not look more depleted than usual when he showed up so I have no reason to believe that he had an especially hard time cutting weight.. I think he's been around and steady enough with his weight cutting to elude doubts...

I still think its something that has to be taken care of by the UFC by being more detailed in their own rules for that kind of stuff.. But about ruling this fight a NC, I think its out of the question.

And for Nick's accusation on the drug test well... that is really pathetic..
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    diaz and his camp are losers
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car