Pettis: I’m at 145 for Aldo, not staying forever

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Anthony Pettis (16-2) is just over four months away from his clash with UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (22-1). In a fight he requested, the former WEC lightweight champion will go toe-to-toe with one of the world’s top pound-for-pound fighters in his home country of Brazil. Aldo’s 12 fights in the WEC and UFC have been extremely hard to fault, with wins over the likes of Cub Swanson, Urijah Faber, Mark Hominick, Kenny Florian, Chad Mendes and most recently, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar. But “Showtime” brings a new set of challenges to the table – not least, his finely-honed and devastatingly unpredictable kicks. Whichever way this one goes, fireworks are guaranteed. Pettis took time out to give MMA Interviews his thoughts on the much-anticipated bout.

“I’ve got a big weight cut to get ready for, so I’m going to do a pre-weight cut in June. Right after this weekend I go back home, start doing my pre-weight cut, see how I feel at 145lbs then see what we have to adjust and change. To make 155lbs, I cut two pounds, probably, three pounds. So it’s not going to be a cakewalk but, I mean, it’s not going to be a problem … The real reason why I want to do it is Jose Aldo, I mean, number three guy pound-for-pound in the world, I want my name on that list and that’s what I’m going down for …. I beat Ben Henderson in his home town for his title, so I think it’s right, he’s the champ and I need to go (to Brazil) and take his belt … I’ve been doing kickboxing and taekwondo my whole life, so I don’t think (leg kicks) are going to be an issue … Me and Henderson will fight again, I mean, that will happen, I don’t plan on staying at 145lbs forever. I’m going down there for Aldo.”

From MMA Lives Here - feel free to subscribe for free updates!!
Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,406Free
    edited March 2013
    So if Pettis beats Aldo is he even going to accept the 145 pound strap? If he takes it he's got to defend it or they will strip him.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
    PoloRidah said:

So if Pettis beats Aldo is he even going to accept the 145 pound strap? If he takes it he's got to defend it or they will strip him.

I think he would defend it once or even twice if they wanted him to

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,438Free
    This could very well be fight of the year can't wait I have Aldo by decision but I believe Pettis could take the belt at LW if Aldo doesn't move up.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,841Free
    Why even step down then?

Dana already said If he beats Aldo he will have to stay at 145 for a while so.....
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Hayden512Hayden512 Posts: 2,583Elite
    I'm excited for this fight but that's not really right. He definitely could beat Aldo and take the belt but he's not going to keep it? I wish this was just a regular fight than and not a title fight.

Also I definitely don't think you should be able to hold two belts and once. It would take twice as long to have a title fight in those divisions and would just hold it up.
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,438Free
    Hayden512 said:

I'm excited for this fight but that's not really right. He definitely could beat Aldo and take the belt but he's not going to keep it? I wish this was just a regular fight than and not a title fight.

Also I definitely don't think you should be able to hold two belts and once. It would take twice as long to have a title fight in those divisions and would just hold it up.

As much as I like this fight he should have got the Bendo fight over Gilbert, Aldo has other fights with contenders at FW and will move up in the end most likely.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,083Free
    WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

Dana already said If he beats Aldo he will have to stay at 145 for a while so.....

Good thing Dana doesnt make career decisions for these guys.

However, if Dana shows him the money or a fancy whip like he has been buying everybody else i can see him sticking around for a bit.
    PATSTER said:

I bet Aldo will still be cutting more weight than Pettis.

You think so? Pettis is taller and has a longer reach.

Hendricks 1,2,3,4

WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

Good thing Dana doesnt make career decisions for these guys.

However, if Dana shows him the money or a fancy whip like he has been buying everybody else i can see him sticking around for a bit.
    True

Dana could also tell him to stay or get cut

Dana's like that
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    PATSTER said:

Barao will cut more weight than Aldo and Pettis put together
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

PATSTER said:

Barao will cut more weight than Aldo and Pettis put together
    Barao definitely cuts more weight then Aldo. They are the same size but he fights at 135.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

PATSTER said:

Pettis said he cuts 2-3 pounds to make 155
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

PoloRidah said:

PATSTER said:

That sounded kind of odd to me. Seemed like a typo LoL
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

PoloRidah said:

PATSTER said:

In my opinion it seems legit

Pettis is a really skinny dude
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

PoloRidah said:

PATSTER said:

In my opinion it seems legit

Pettis is a really skinny dude
    Yeah I guess so. With all the huge weight cutters in the UFC I guess I just assumed Pettis cut more.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

i don't know why you guys care so much about how much someone cuts

I really don't care much. Just something to talk about.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    guess pettis knows he isnt beating aldo
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

PoloRidah said:

I really don't care much. Just something to talk about.
    PATSTER said:

I'm just pointing out the facts.
    These ^^^

I don't care as long as it doesn't affect the fight, that **** pisses me off

I talk **** about GSP's weight cutting because I'm a hater though
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,083Free
    PATSTER said:

PunchBag said:

guess pettis knows he isnt beating aldo

Or he wants to fight at a class where he doesn't have to cut massive weight unlike Aldo ..........
    Lol your bias hatred always makes me laugh.

"Frankie gonna smash Aldo"

Edgar gets killed...

Aldo was bigger!

Michael Mcdonald 1 punch KTFO

Barao makes him his ****...

Barao is even bigger than Aldo!!

Yet your a huge Sonnen fan and he at MW was the biggest weight cutter in the UFC and he is not 1/100th as exciting and dynamic as Aldo and Barao. Your also a DM **** when the only reason he is holding gold is because he got on a diet.

But please.. keep amusing me with your hilarious hatred.
  • WTF Pettis! This is him basically saying 'I'm gonna lose and when I do I'm back at 155'... Not the kinda mentality I was expecting from Pettis! He should be sayin "imma drop down, take his belt, and dominate the division until I decide to hang it up"

Props for callin out Aldo, but now I wonder if he's lookin for a payday or a belt.
  • Madvillain8Madvillain8 Posts: 887Free
    WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

I know right?! Pettis is a great dude and all but for him taking this fight is a mistake and if he wins I believe he's just gonna mess both divisions up.

WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

I know right?! Pettis is a great dude and all but for him taking this fight is a mistake and if he wins I believe he's just gonna mess both divisions up.
    Aldo has much more to lose in this situation.

If Pettis wins then you can't deny his name on the P4P list and he also becomes a UFC champion.

If Pettis loses, oh well, losing to a UFC champion isn't that big a deal and he is still right in line for a shot at 155.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

If Pettis wins then you can't deny his name on the P4P list.
    Then how do you explain when Hendo was ranked as a p4p and lost to Machida but Edgar who is on a 3 fight losing streak got the #10 spot over Lyoto?

edited March 2013
    GoToGuy said:

PoloRidah said:

WarWest said:

Why even step down then?

If Pettis wins then you can't deny his name on the P4P list.
    Then how do you explain when Hendo was ranked as a p4p and lost to Machida but Edgar who is on a 3 fight losing streak got the #10 spot over Lyoto?
    I don't have an explanation for that and I don't think it relates to what I said.

Aldo is currently on the P4P list correct? If Pettis beats him, does that not warrant his name on the list?

Edit: Nevermind, you don't need to answer my question. My point was I don't think this was a bad idea for Pettis to take this fight because he doesn't have anything to lose in this situation.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,188Free
    Anthony "Showtime" Pettis future UFC FW and LW Champ!
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,099Free
    won't matter. Aldo by murder.

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION