UFC stays neutral in Nick Diaz vs. Georges St-Pierre weigh-in fiasco

fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
TORONTO — The UFC is playing the role of Switzerland when it comes to Nick Diaz’s allegations of improprieties surrounding the UFC 158 weigh-in and drug testing.

The California welterweight lost a five-round decision to champion Georges St-Pierre on March 16 at Montreal’s Bell Centre. He has since complained that Quebec athletic commission (Regie des Alcools des Courses et des Jeux) mishandled its weigh-in and drug testing responsibilities.

And Diaz has asked for a rematch or for St-Pierre to “vacate the belt in favour of those prepared to fight at welterweight.”

The UFC offered a generic statement in response.

“We are aware of Mr. Diaz’s complaint to the Quebec Athletic Commission,” the UFC said in the statement. “We adhere to the policies set forth by respective athletic commissions worldwide.”

The UFC provided the statement in lieu of making of vice-president Michael Mersch available.

Mersch has been involved in the controversy because he is the one seen on a UFC 158 weigh-in backstage video relaying supposed Quebec Commission guidelines allowing the main event fighters at extra hour to make weight if needed.

Mersch also passes on the news to the Diaz camp that the Quebec commission does not take fractions into account, so 170.9 pounds would be considered 170.

Traditionally fighters are allowed an extra pound at weigh-ins. So a welterweight can weigh in at 171 pounds, one about the limit. But that extra pound is not allowed in the case of championship bouts.

If fighters do not make weight, they are given an extra hour to do so. If they fail, the fight can go ahead but the overweight fighter owes his opponent 20% of his purse.

Diaz was announced at 169 pounds at the weigh-in while St-Pierre was 170 — the welterweight limit.

The Diaz camp suggests the champion’s exact weight may never be known and alleges the Quebec commission “deliberately relaxed the rule in this case and, by its own admission, allowed their home-town fighter to ‘make weight’ even if he weighed more than the contracted weight.”

The Quebec commission confirms that it does not take decimals into account in weigh-ins, but says that rule has been in place for some time and was not there to help St-Pierre.

UFC vice-president Marc Ratner was not at the Montreal fight but said in an email that “my understanding was that both fighters weighed 170 or less” at UFC 158.”

St-Pierre’s manager did not respond to several emails.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/03/27/ufc-refuses-to-pick-a-side-in-nick-diaz-vs-georges-st-pierre-weigh-in-fiasco/

Tagged:

Comments

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Smart

If they commit to one side too early, they could end up looking a lot worse then they do now. Hmm. Side with the baby/punk/loser, or the champ who is under heavy scrutiny? Definitely best to just stay neutral
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    fobar said:

TORONTO — The UFC is playing the role of Switzerland when it comes to Nick Diaz’s allegations of improprieties surrounding the UFC 158 weigh-in and drug testing.

The California welterweight lost a five-round decision to champion Georges St-Pierre on March 16 at Montreal’s Bell Centre. He has since complained that Quebec athletic commission (Regie des Alcools des Courses et des Jeux) mishandled its weigh-in and drug testing responsibilities.

And Diaz has asked for a rematch or for St-Pierre to “vacate the belt in favour of those prepared to fight at welterweight.”

“We are aware of Mr. Diaz’s complaint to the Quebec Athletic Commission,” the UFC said in the statement. “We adhere to the policies set forth by respective athletic commissions worldwide.”

The UFC provided the statement in lieu of making of vice-president Michael Mersch available.

Mersch has been involved in the controversy because he is the one seen on a UFC 158 weigh-in backstage video relaying supposed Quebec Commission guidelines allowing the main event fighters at extra hour to make weight if needed.

Mersch also passes on the news to the Diaz camp that the Quebec commission does not take fractions into account, so 170.9 pounds would be considered 170.

Traditionally fighters are allowed an extra pound at weigh-ins. So a welterweight can weigh in at 171 pounds, one about the limit. But that extra pound is not allowed in the case of championship bouts.

If fighters do not make weight, they are given an extra hour to do so. If they fail, the fight can go ahead but the overweight fighter owes his opponent 20% of his purse.

Diaz was announced at 169 pounds at the weigh-in while St-Pierre was 170 — the welterweight limit.

The Diaz camp suggests the champion’s exact weight may never be known and alleges the Quebec commission “deliberately relaxed the rule in this case and, by its own admission, allowed their home-town fighter to ‘make weight’ even if he weighed more than the contracted weight.”

The Quebec commission confirms that it does not take decimals into account in weigh-ins, but says that rule has been in place for some time and was not there to help St-Pierre.

UFC vice-president Marc Ratner was not at the Montreal fight but said in an email that “my understanding was that both fighters weighed 170 or less” at UFC 158.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/03/27/ufc-refuses-to-pick-a-side-in-nick-diaz-vs-georges-st-pierre-weigh-in-fiasco/

thxs for the link
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free

fobar said:

thxs for the link
    no problem. i have been waiting to hear something from them :)

Smart

If they commit to one side too early, they could end up looking a lot worse then they do now. Hmm. Side with the baby/punk/loser, or the champ who is under heavy scrutiny? Definitely best to just stay neutral

Its not really about taking sides, its just telling us what the rule is and what policy they use for each event. thats all they have to come out and say

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,764Free
    Figured they would stay neutral

If GSP was over it shouldn't be considered a title fight and GSP should give up 20% of his purse in my opinion

But like it says ^^^ we will probably never know the exact weight of GSP because they recorded it at 170 I'm sure

Well played GSP and the athletic commission, well played
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,322Free
    this **** is retarded, Diaz can't accept that he lost

not even a full pound = him getting tooled for 5 rounds? lol

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Well if the Diaz camp did ANY homework,they would KNOW this was not deliberate because it has been that way for the last 5 events.all having a title fight.This was nothing new,like they are accusing them of.
    I guess the IQ of their entire camp is the same as Diaz's,not much.
    They can say all they want about GSP .MIGHT have been over the limit,truth is GSP has never had any problems,so going on a BLIND accusation is quite lame,but not that this is anything new from a CHEAT camp.
    If we are going to make accusations,maybe Diaz was on roids or drugs and that is why he went AWOl on the first proposed match,in that case he should have been suspended for a year.I think that has a MUCH better chance of being accurate than Diaz's lame BS.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    Can someone tell me where GSP fought Matt Serra the second time and how much he weighed? Just out of curiosity
    zaksame said:

Well if the Diaz camp did ANY homework,they would KNOW this was not deliberate because it has been that way for the last 5 events.all having a title fight.This was nothing new,like they are accusing them of.

yet this isnt the way they usually run events in Canada, so you are talking out of your **** again.

• Can someone tell me where GSP fought Matt Serra the second time and how much he weighed? Just out of curiosity

Quebec, and he weighed 169.5 lbs. There is a video of it on youtube.

"I'm not going to accept the fact that this was a loss. I've lost fights before, where, you know, like, I'm not going to accept that either. Herpa derpy derp..." -Nick Diaz
    edited March 2013

Can someone tell me where GSP fought Matt Serra the second time and how much he weighed? Just out of curiosity

169 POINT 5?

Thought so.

Also, here is this

Here is a weigh in for Hopkins vs Pascal I believe in 2011. They use decimals

Here is another weigh in for an MMA fight just last year, they use decimals.

Both vids above featured fights that took place in Montreal
    Post edited by CaptainSuperman on

169 POINT 5?

Thought so.

Also, here is this

this is my point which GSP fans have been saying dosent matter. thanks for the videos

the commission is shady as hell and something needs to be done

• Can someone tell me where GSP fought Matt Serra the second time and how much he weighed? Just out of curiosity

169 POINT 5?

Thought so.

Also, here is this

The Quebec commission says they don't take decimals into consideration, but also say that it is decided by the contracts of the fighters. So if a fighter is 170.9, they still call it good, but if the fighters contracts are for 170.0, then that would take precedence, I think. I have never read a ufc contract so I don't know what they say. But the ufc's answer found in this thread is “We adhere to the policies set forth by respective athletic commissions worldwide.” It really matters what kind of wording is used in the contract.
    "I'm not going to accept the fact that this was a loss. I've lost fights before, where, you know, like, I'm not going to accept that either. Herpa derpy derp..." -Nick Diaz
    edited March 2013
    Google "Quebec Athletic Commission" and it will lead to ABCboxing.com, as they don't have their own site. So you can somewhat assume they are in association with each other, which would make sense seeing as how this is the site for rules and whatnot for boxing, as well as MMA. The link I have below goes straight to that sites listing of the unified rules of MMA, which you could assume that these AC's are using, hence why it's on their site. Not to mention the word "unified". >.> And it talks about the one pound allowance...for NON-title bouts.

http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

As far as contracts go, I'm sure any contract for any title would be on the dot, I don't understand why it wouldn't be. Which is why I'm thinking that it's not the UFC who is up to no good, but rather the AC.

Not to mention that if the UFC was using Quebec's reasoning of "not using decimals", why were the boxing fight and and Ringside MMA fight above in my videos go by using the decimal. Do you think the UFC is not using the decimal in their contract, and other, lesser MMA orgs are? Cause I doubt that
    Post edited by CaptainSuperman on
    Stephane Patry, who used to work for the Commission and is involved in MMA promotion and managed fighters including GSP has stated that the decimal thing is not the norm and he has had to fine fighters for being over weight. He cannot understand why the commission did this or why they are saying its the norm

• munkiemunkie Posts: 2,538Free
    edited March 2013
    **** Diaz. I just watched the weigh-ins, and the decimal wasn't used for a single fighter. Most fighters made their weight, whether it be 155, 170, 185, whatever. Some can in at a pound over or under. There was not a single fighter who weight 170 point something. **** Diaz, the only way this joke attempts to appear relevant is talking and starting ****. I wish this retard would just disappear already.
    Post edited by munkie on
    munkie said:

**** Diaz. I just watched the weigh-ins, and the decimal wasn't used for a single fighter. Most fighters made their weight, whether it be 155, 170, 185, whatever. Some can in at a pound over or under. There was not a single fighter who weight 171.1 or anything like that. **** Diaz, he just needs to go away.

well done, you have completely missed the **** point as per usual

• mtlmtl Posts: 522Free
    maybe its that one guy from the commission who was misinformed, and he should maybe be disciplined, or reviewed for his position. But i dont see how people are blaming gsp. He weighed 170 at weigh ins, even if he was over, by .9 max, he could have stripped down or lost the weight within time limit. I do think the commission should figure this out though. If their guy made a mistake, own up to it. But for all we know, Georges actually weighed 170 on the dot. To attack him doesnt make sense. Either way, I wish Diaz would just hush up about the rematch(not the commission), and get ready for his next fight. Hendricks will be more interesting anyways, I hope. He might land that lunging left, or he might get taken down the first time he tries, and get tentative like everyone else after that.
    -Cerrone

-"Smooth"Henderson

-Johnny Bones Jones

-GSP

-Nate Diaz

-Munoz

-Struve

-Lauzon
  • bartolinibartolini Posts: 669Ultimate
    mtl said:

maybe its that one guy from the commission who was misinformed, and he should maybe be disciplined, or reviewed for his position. But i dont see how people are blaming gsp. He weighed 170 at weigh ins, even if he was over, by .9 max, he could have stripped down or lost the weight within time limit. I do think the commission should figure this out though. If their guy made a mistake, own up to it. But for all we know, Georges actually weighed 170 on the dot. To attack him doesnt make sense. Either way, I wish Diaz would just hush up about the rematch(not the commission), and get ready for his next fight. Hendricks will be more interesting anyways, I hope. He might land that lunging left, or he might get taken down the first time he tries, and get tentative like everyone else after that.

Who blamed gsp?
    HW: VELASQUEZ, DOS SANTOS, BROWNE

LHW: EVANS, CORMIER, GUS

MW: SPIDER, WEIDMAN, MACHIDA

WW: CONDIT, HENDRICKS, DIAZ

LW: HENDERSON, CERRONE, DIAZ

FW: ALDO, MENDES, SWANSON

BW: FABER

FW: JOHNSON

CHICKS: TATE
    edited March 2013
    mtl said:

the blame is with the Commission, thats the whole point
    Post edited by fobar on

fobar said:

mtl said:

i agree... but did you see our province.. our construction situation now ;) everything is shady..
    -Cerrone

-"Smooth"Henderson

-Johnny Bones Jones

-GSP

-Nate Diaz

-Munoz

-Struve

-Lauzon

Google "Quebec Athletic Commission" and it will lead to ABCboxing.com, as they don't have their own site. So you can somewhat assume they are in association with each other, which would make sense seeing as how this is the site for rules and whatnot for boxing, as well as MMA. The link I have below goes straight to that sites listing of the unified rules of MMA, which you could assume that these AC's are using, hence why it's on their site. Not to mention the word "unified". >.> And it talks about the one pound allowance...for NON-title bouts.

interesting they dont have their own site, is that normal for an athletic commission to not have their own site?

• Google "Quebec Athletic Commission" and it will lead to ABCboxing.com, as they don't have their own site. So you can somewhat assume they are in association with each other, which would make sense seeing as how this is the site for rules and whatnot for boxing, as well as MMA. The link I have below goes straight to that sites listing of the unified rules of MMA, which you could assume that these AC's are using, hence why it's on their site. Not to mention the word "unified". >.> And it talks about the one pound allowance...for NON-title bouts.

As far as contracts go, I'm sure any contract for any title would be on the dot, I don't understand why it wouldn't be. Which is why I'm thinking that it's not the UFC who is up to no good, but rather the AC.

Not to mention that if the UFC was using Quebec's reasoning of "not using decimals", why were the boxing fight and and Ringside MMA fight above in my videos go by using the decimal. Do you think the UFC is not using the decimal in their contract, and other, lesser MMA orgs are? Cause I doubt that

Regie des Alcools des Courses et des Jeux, is the commission and they have their own site, the laws and regs are available in english, and I couldn't find anything about decimals in them. They also have forms and guides but those are only in French so I can't read them.

As far as ufc contracts I can only speculate, I have no idea what is in them.

In short, I don't know lol.

mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

i agree... but did you see our province.. our construction situation now ;) everything is shady..
    I dont get what your point is really. nobody is blaming GSP, period thats my point

fobar said:

mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

I dont get what your point is really. nobody is blaming GSP, period thats my point
    ok.. i didnt say you were.. but i have heard it.. your sounding pretty defensive.. end it here..?!
    -Cerrone

-"Smooth"Henderson

-Johnny Bones Jones

-GSP

-Nate Diaz

-Munoz

-Struve

-Lauzon
    i guess i picked the wrong thread to say that.. yes i agree, nobody attacked him here.. you are right
    -Cerrone

-"Smooth"Henderson

-Johnny Bones Jones

-GSP

-Nate Diaz

-Munoz

-Struve

-Lauzon
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    I have no doubt any more that, whether it was needed or not for GSP to make weight, that "no decimal rule" was manufactured for this fight specifically. The real question in my mind is how much GSP was truly involved, if at all. Sadly, we may never know.
    Bet Record: 2-3
    mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

ok.. i didnt say you were.. but i have heard it.. your sounding pretty defensive.. end it here..?!
    lol sorry, didnt mean to come across as defensive. :) all good

fobar said:

mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

fobar said:

mtl said:

lol sorry, didnt mean to come across as defensive. :) all good
    peace, have a good night.. and yes i do agree that everything should be done by the rules.
    -Cerrone

-"Smooth"Henderson

-Johnny Bones Jones

-GSP

-Nate Diaz

-Munoz

-Struve

-Lauzon
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    war mr diaz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner