5 Reasons Why the "Decimal" Fiasco is Actually Good for GSP

GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
In the wake of the Quebec Athletic Commision's shady dealing regarding the GSP-Diaz title fight and their ".9 lb. allowance", it looks like a dark day to be GSP. However, it's always darkest just before dawn, and I'm here to shed the first rays of light on why as a true-blue fan of "Rush", this is a time for optimism, not strife. Here are 5 reasons why GSP and his fans will come out better for this.

1. GSP's character will be tested here like it never has before, and he will come out a better paragon of MMA behavior for it.

2. MMA and the UFC will have a chance to fight corruption in a visible way, putting allegations of being "like boxing" further in the rear-view mirror.

3. GSP will be more motivated than ever to prove/redeem himself in the eyes of the fans, meaning we'll see a better GSP than ever.

4. Similar to point 3, GSP can no longer rest on his laurels in MMA. He needs to change, to redifine himself as one of MMA's most dominant champions. If ever we will see a GSP 2.0, it will be once the storm has subsided and he steps in the cage again.

5. Ultimately GSP is still GSP- still dominant, still the face of Candian MMA, still humble, and still a hero to his nation. The foundation may be rocked a little, but it will hold firm. GSP isn't going anywhere.

There's a chance that all this pressure and doubt will consume the French-Canadian, for surely it could consume a lesser man. However, I simply don't believe this to be the case. So remember fight fans, it may be a long tunnel, but the journey will make Georges stronger, and we his fans should take pride in knowing that.

If you guys liked this little piece I did (whether or not you like GSP), let me know and I might do more!
Bet Record: 2-3
Tagged:

Comments

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free

this, or...

it will all be the same, UFC will pretend nothing happened, and GSP will continue to bore us to death.

I know that, but I wanted to write a little something to help out my fellow GSP fans who both need to calm down about this issue and need some support ;).
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    3) Are you kidding? He always apologizes for his performance and says he will train harder. He is just not a "fighter". Great athlete though

Though I do like the idea of number 2. I really hope the UFC goes out and does something, though I get the feeling they will sit back and watch stuff unfold and later take credit
  • idybidyb Just givin out the DPosts: 22,549Free
    i bet gsp's boxers weigh a pound. there was no indication he was ever overweight. he could have simply just removed his shorts or took an hour to go piss out that fraction of a pound

i dont think diaz has a case to make. if they were truly overweight they would have been told to come back in an hour, and if they didnt, it would be a non title fight with gsp handing over a percentage of his purse. its the commission that is going to get scrutinized. i dont think this will change anything at all unless gsp fails a drug test for whatever reason.

gsp aint gonna vacate the title and this punk aint gonna cry his way into another rematch. where is the evidence that gsp DIDNT make weight? its all speculation based on somebody from the commission telling the diaz homies that they were given an extra hour and they could make up to 170.9 if they wanted to. there was nothing indicating any fouls.

this is all water under the bridge. diaz will forever remain a sore loser.

i bet gsp's boxers weigh a pound. there was no indication he was ever overweight. he could have simply just removed his shorts or took an hour to go piss out that fraction of a pound

i dont think diaz has a case to make. if they were truly overweight they would have been told to come back in an hour, and if they didnt, it would be a non title fight with gsp handing over a percentage of his purse. its the commission that is going to get scrutinized. i dont think this will change anything at all unless gsp fails a drug test for whatever reason.

gsp aint gonna vacate the title and this punk aint gonna cry his way into another rematch. where is the evidence that gsp DIDNT make weight? its all speculation based on somebody from the commission telling the diaz homies that they were given an extra hour and they could make up to 170.9 if they wanted to. there was nothing indicating any fouls.

this is all water under the bridge. diaz will forever remain a sore loser.

As long as it becomes clear whethe this was all legit or not, and as long as any necessary repercussions are taken, I don't care about what Diaz has to say positive or negative about the situation, it's irrelevant. What matters is what's best for MMA, and I think we'll see that in time.
    edited March 2013
    commissions operate a little different in other countries. if they decide to not count decimals, then whatever. its fair game as long as neither fighter is discriminated against and both fighters have an equal opportunity to meet the requirements.

its ultimately up to the commission to notify the ufc about any controversial rule stipulations, and its up to the ufc to notify its fighters.

its a stupid rule, but leave it to diaz to parade this one around. this is a guy with the worst attitude in the sport, throws out steroid allegations before a fight even starts, almost gets himself disqualified twice in the same fight, and refuses to accept defeat every time he loses. it may help the sport by bringing this to the UFC's attention , but its not going to help his cause of trying to vacate gsp of his belt, get his 3rd chance at GSP's title, or take away any of his riches.

there was no proof that gsp went into the fight overweight, and against the commissions rules. diaz should learn how to shut his mouth and actually fight in the cage to earn a title shot like everybody other than frankie and sonnen. get back in line and this time earn your turn punk.
    Post edited by idyb on
    drank, your missing the point. It's not about Diaz/GSP. And the AC in Quebec has used decimals just the past two years with other organizations. Go check out my other thread bro. Get off GSP's nuts for 1 second please cause this isn't a fan/hater issue
    edited March 2013
    if this was anybody other than a sore loser this whole issue would have never been brought up, quite frankly it doesnt even matter.

a fraction of a pound? my god. if that was such an issue just take off your shorts. this whole thing is just stupid. just get rid of decimals or round up or down. who really cares about something so insignificant. chances are that the calibration of the scale is off by a pound anyways.

if the commission misinterpreted their own rules, then thats their fault. not gsp's. though diaz's camp is going to great lengths to try to get him stripped of the title, get an immediate rematch, and take away lots of his money trying to pin it all on him, if anything its just gonna make the commission tighten up its rules and make the ufc notify its staff about these quirks in the system. gsp was never in the wrong, theres no proof he ever weighed in more at their maximum allowed weight, and if they would have accepted up to 170.9 and there was a rule somewhere for that, then so be it

i just think this is the dumbest thing ever.
    Post edited by idyb on
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 38,898Free
    not reading that ****
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

not reading that ****

Why not?
    edited March 2013
    sorry carnage. i know a few sentences is hard to digest for the haters

basically the tl;dr version of what i was saying is that gsp is an overweight roider, greaser, cheater, and diaz is a humble guy who follows all of the rules and accepts his defeats like a man.

happy now?
    Post edited by idyb on
    It's not about the pound! Stop drinking for 5 minutes and realize that. It's that fact that this was mishandled in the first place, a reasonable explanation was not given, though they tried to BS their way through it.

It IS an issue. It's setting a standard with a CHAMPION in his HOMETOWN FFS. If it's just one pound, he should have just dropped trou or gone back to the room and keep cutting, so WHY DIDN'T he? Fact is, no one else outside of GSP's camp and the AC know what he really weighed, just what they recorded. It has nothing to do with a sore loser. If he missed weight, that is WRONG. And if you can acknowledge that, then you must also acknowledge that it must be made RIGHT!

People would be having a field day with this if it was Jon Jones or Anderson Silva. But with GSP? Oh no, he's ******* perfect. It's sick
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 38,898Free

sorry carnage. i know a few sentences is hard to digest for the haters

basically the tl;dr version of what i was saying is that gsp is an overweight roider, greaser, cheater, and diaz is a humble guy who follows all of the rules and accepts his defeats like a man.

happy now?

k thanks for the summary

I 100% agree
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    edited March 2013
    if you havent noticed people are having a field day over this. ive never seen so many threads popping up over less than a pound of weight before. why not give everyone the 1 lb discrepancy, even the challengers/champions. who knows, the scale might be off, or the commission dont understand fractions and decimals. i mean a pound of weight aint even worth fighting over.

if the commission recorded 170, im fine with that. as long as they are interpreting their own rules properly, which under this circumstances, they may have messed up. thats the whole issue,

but on the other hand who gives a ****? the dude could have just taken off his boxers, or kept them on and ran some stair sets for 15 minutes. i believe they should know exactly what the weight is, and be aware of the rules. its up to them to regulate it and tell the fighters if they are over and if there is a problem. if they dont, then thats their fault.

if gsp was cleared when he shouldnt have been because of some misinterpretation of the rules by the commission, , diaz has a case against the commission. but not against gsp.
    Post edited by idyb on
    Sigh, maybe it was too much for me to expect a serious conversation about this subject on this forum. I'll try something a little less topical and divisive next time.
    edited March 2013

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH I DIDN'T READ YOUR POST

The SAME athletic commission in MONTREAL, are you following, have used DECIMALS just last year and in 2011 in other fights. I posted TWO videos with proof of these frenchies saying blah blah weight POINT blah. Since you are too lazy or drunk or whatever to click in my thread, I'll post said videos for you right here for your convenience

Here is a weigh in for Hopkins/Pascal in 2011, in Montreal, they use decimals

Here is another weigh in for an MMA bout at Ringside MMA 13 just last year, also in Montreal. They also use decimals

Quite frankly, I don't care for Diaz or any claim he thinks he has at a title shot. So don't even bring him and his whiny *** up to me. It's not about Diaz pointing his finger, for the 119305734th time
    Post edited by CaptainSuperman on
    edited March 2013
    you too butthurt. i didnt watch

diaz is a can. he will never get his hands on any ufc title. hell he will never even earn a shot at a champion. i hope he fights marquardt next in a match for pink slips
    Post edited by idyb on
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 4,086Free
    Diaz would win the fight agreed upon by law. None of this other bs.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

That's what I figured. You've become the new bobilator
    gracie and the diaz brothers can go die in car fire
  • Ufcguy1Ufcguy1 Posts: 18Free

you too butthurt. i didnt watch

diaz is a can. he will never get his hands on any ufc title. hell he will never even earn a shot at a champion. i hope he fights marquardt next in a match for pink slips

Lol you have literally sucked gsp's balls dry just give it a rest for one second
    im a diaz hater. not a fanboy. learn the difference before you come at me bro
  • Ufcguy1Ufcguy1 Posts: 18Free
    You're a flamboyant Gsp Canadian fanboy who's man love for gsp has no boundaries. Its quite pathetic how much you talk about Diaz. You should be sentenced to death via the Stockton slap. Just like that boxer showed up to the twitter trolls house Diaz should do the same to you because you are just one pathetic loser.
    edited March 2013
    lol u mad bro? your account is 1 hour old and so far youve rushed on over here to start 13'ing it up. how cute. what was your other banned account? shinsplint is that you??
    Post edited by idyb on
  • GSP dominated Diaz. Diaz is just making himself look like a pathetic whiny lil ****! I mean is he really crying over a POSSIBLE .9 pound?

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, Nick Diaz gets cut in 2013. He blew the whistle on his selling of wolf tickets and has no hype no more and can't win in the UFC. Peace out Diaz.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,390Free
    The UFC has a LOT more to fix than worrying about decimal places.
    Why is anyone worried about a weigh in weight ,when that has NOTHING to do with the actual weights?
    I want to see this sport 100% legit.
    If you want to hold a 155 or 170 or 185 belt,you better walk into that ring at that weight.Otherwise you are FAKE.
    I want to see not only better testing for drugs,but i want to see EVERY test result.
    I don't want judges to HIDE their scores,i want to see EXACT numbers after every round.I want to know EXACTLY how they tallied the score.
    I want a some what legit ladder system.By that i mean,we can't rely on single digit spreads,so maybe a 3 spot difference for fights.Basically meaning a guy at 10 can only go as high as a ranked 7 fighter.

FOULS !! I don't want this garbage i see now,where EVERYTHING is a warning.I want instant point removals.The way it is setup now,you are better off to cheat,all you'll get is a warning.So one time kick in da nuts,next time an eye gouge,next time grab the fence ect ect.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • »Army_Of_Øne«»Army_Of_Øne« Posts: 20,182Free
    reason number 6:
    GSP IS GOAT AND DOES WHAT HE WANTS

¤ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

> > > IRT < < <
  • MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,883Free

reason number 6:

You mean like abusing steroids and not making weight because he's fighting in his hometown?
  • »Army_Of_Øne«»Army_Of_Øne« Posts: 20,182Free
    MilesGun said:

reason number 6:

You mean like abusing steroids and not making weight because he's fighting in his hometown?
    gsp 2 strong

¤ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

> > > IRT < < <
    edited March 2013
    MilesGun said:

reason number 6:

go over to sherdog and say that lol
    or maybe thats why youre here.
    Post edited by idyb on
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,559Free
    MilesGun said:

reason number 6:

Yet, never busted for either, U mad?