In the wake of the Quebec Athletic Commision's shady dealing regarding the GSP-Diaz title fight and their ".9 lb. allowance", it looks like a dark day to be GSP. However, it's always darkest just before dawn, and I'm here to shed the first rays of light on why as a true-blue fan of "Rush", this is a time for optimism, not strife. Here are 5 reasons why GSP and his fans will come out better for this.
1. GSP's character will be tested here like it never has before, and he will come out a better paragon of MMA behavior for it.
2. MMA and the UFC will have a chance to fight corruption in a visible way, putting allegations of being "like boxing" further in the rear-view mirror.
3. GSP will be more motivated than ever to prove/redeem himself in the eyes of the fans, meaning we'll see a better GSP than ever.
4. Similar to point 3, GSP can no longer rest on his laurels in MMA. He needs to change, to redifine himself as one of MMA's most dominant champions. If ever we will see a GSP 2.0, it will be once the storm has subsided and he steps in the cage again.
5. Ultimately GSP is still GSP- still dominant, still the face of Candian MMA, still humble, and still a hero to his nation. The foundation may be rocked a little, but it will hold firm. GSP isn't going anywhere.
There's a chance that all this pressure and doubt will consume the French-Canadian, for surely it could consume a lesser man. However, I simply don't believe this to be the case. So remember fight fans, it may be a long tunnel, but the journey will make Georges stronger, and we his fans should take pride in knowing that.
If you guys liked this little piece I did (whether or not you like GSP), let me know and I might do more!
Bet Record: 2-3