Should fighters be allowed to throw punches after the bell as long as they don't land, or intend to?

KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
edited March 2013 in UFC
After watching UFC 158 post fight it seems Dana's stance on shots thrown after the bell is significantly more laxed than it was at UFC 113 apparently because the actual shots thrown after the bell at UFC 158 didn't land (regardless of the fact that w/o the ref the 1st certainly would of). I've yet to hear from the commission about their take on the situation, or the fighter potentially assaulted after the bell, but I'm still searching.

Now I'm sure emotions can run high, but there should be a certain level of self control and professionalism that should come along with being a professional athlete on that big of a platform/promotion, along with certain kinds of consequences after to prevent the actions from reoccuring; Not only with the fighter in question, but other fighters so the actions doesn't appear tolerable under circumstances and preference.

Now people in general deserve second chances, but also a lesson to be learned w/ it imo, not just a slap on the wrist and/or less. How do you guys feel about it and why? I don't believe this is something that should just be swept under the rug, especially if the issue happens again and the problem of throwing after a bell becomes punishable upon preference.

Either thrown after the bell is bad, or actually shots landing after the bell is bad. If the latter choice of action is a punishable offense, should the earliest be condoned? What degree of action, or courses of action should be taken after the earliest in your opinion?
Post edited by Keem on

Should fighters be allowed to throw punches after the bell as long as they don't land?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
Tagged:

Comments

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    No, throwing after the bell is attempting assualt, you have 5 minutes in a round to act like you want to throw if you don't intend to land. Point deduction, or Suspension is warranted
    I forgot to include "Fines" as a course of action after
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,269Free
    Yes, because intent has to be taken into consideration. No damage, no point/suspension
    Of course it should be allowed, it is basically taunting.....which is also allowed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free
    lol no it shouldn't be allowed and there should be fines and suspensions....

However, there's a big difference between what Diaz did and what Daley did. Don't think i need to go into detail tbh.
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free
    Yes, because intent has to be taken into consideration. No damage, no point/suspension
    How often do we see fighters pull short on punches and kicks once the bell sounds?
    A lot of the time its just incidental.

In a related instance (sort of)

the Arlovski v Fatty Boombah fight @ WSOF2 I'm pretty sure Andrei got dropped by a massive bomb at 5:03 in the first ( mind you the bell hadn't gone yet)
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    No, throwing after the bell is attempting assualt, you have 5 minutes in a round to act like you want to throw if you don't intend to land. Point deduction, or Suspension is warranted

Of course it should be allowed, it is basically taunting.....which is also allowed

but inside the 5 minute round. Break means break; stop and go to your corner

Megumi Fuji

• MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    Not sure, on one hand every fighter shouldn't just do it because it's not considered taboo, but if nothing came of it then no big deal. Maybe a point, Maybe a suspension
    two of them are the same ... a point or a suspension. i just chose one of those.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • shark26shark26 Posts: 109Free
    Of Coarse they should NOT be allowed ... its pathetic to say the least ... its supposed to be about class ... Diaz couldnt do crap , except when gsp lets up ... whats that say about you ....

Dana needs to grow a pair and tell Diaz where to go

OMG Sharks

Fighters i Like to watch : JDS | Cain | R. Mcdonald | Aldo | Edgar | Rampage | A Silva | E Silva | BJ Penn | Mir |
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,003Free
    I prefer to outline my opinion in my own words..
    You can't penalize somebody for attempting to foul. You can only penalize somebody for committing a foul.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free
    If it was accidentall then no worries but things like Daley did to Kos <that was just crazy
    PATSTER said:

He didn't ****ing hit him.

But he had naughty intentions. tut tut
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,733Free
    waikru said:

You can't penalize somebody for attempting to foul. You can only penalize somebody for committing a foul.

This ^^^
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Thats like intending to shoot someone then missing then just walking away like 'oh well'.
    Look when Daley hit kos after the fight lets say he swung and missed, surely somethin would have to of been done.
    PATSTER said:

Identity said:

Thats like intending to shoot someone then missing then just walking away like 'oh well'.

No it's not. This is a sport that has defined rules that are meant to be followed. There is no punishment for intentions. ****, sometimes they don't even penalize guys who cheat. (GSP vs. Penn)

The justice system is completely different. Comparing a sport with attempted murder is beyond stupid.
    It's not

GSP and Penn went to court and now cutman from the comission handle damage between rounds. Litigation was the result despite GSP's cornerman's intentions.

Megumi Fuji

Yeah but Daley is black and therefore cannot be trusted
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

keep it classy please

Megumi Fuji

lol coming from a guy who has a pimp named slickback as his Av

:o
    PATSTER said:

Daley connected. rewatch the tape.

You could argue Diaz was shadow boxing off of his back.

I doubt that would give him any grace from an "Attempted Assault" claim

Megumi Fuji

I was refering to the comment, not the AV

Megumi Fuji

You prefer if I had uncle rukus or catcher freeman?

Megumi Fuji

PATSTER said:

He didn't ****ing hit him.

only because of the ref

Megumi Fuji

Only when against gsp should you be able to punch after the bell
  • MaximumBobMaximumBob Posts: 1,288Free
    Keem said:

PATSTER said:

You need to learn the difference between a love tap, a slap, and a full blooded shot.

Diaz was just showing GSP, he cared..... >:D<
    My definition of hell, you get there and meet the person you could have been - Frank Mir.

Keem said:

PATSTER said:

You need to learn the difference between a love tap, a slap, and a full blooded shot.

That's not how you show affection; throwing a punch while someone's back it turned after the bell, or waiting for the ref to stop your guy after the bell so you can take swing at him.

Megumi Fuji

PATSTER said:

Keem said:

Keem said:

PATSTER said:

That's not how you show affection; throwing a punch while someone's back it turned after the bell, or waiting for the ref to stop your guy after the bell so you can take swing at him.
    He

Didn't

Hit

Him

That doesn't mean he didn't do wrong

Megumi Fuji

Diaz has never done wrong, his soul is sacred

Diaz has never done wrong, his soul is sacred

I don't want this to be a Nick bash thread, but more everyone's take on what he did and if it should be tolerated from here on out.

No ones perfect, I get it

Megumi Fuji