How many times have you finished your opponent in a UFC title fight?

MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
I actually haven't ever finished an opponent in any UFC event, nor have I ever fought in the UFC. I have finished a few guys in boxing and MMA events, but I wouldn't say they were any near as tough as the fighters who get title shots in the UFC. I've tried like hell and gone to decision about a dozen times against guys who were pretty tough, but still nowhere near as tough as any of GSP's opponents.

I've recently become a fan of Diaz, because of his fallibility and raw emotion; things I can relate to. I would feel ridiculous to criticize GSP too terribly much, though.

Something to think about: it seems a lot of people who lash out against GSP's inability to finish (I know I made that one thread, but it was pure gay humor) are, typically, fans of his opponent. Why not simply give credit to the physical toughness of your favorite fighter, instead of bashing GSP. I'd like to think that Condit and Diaz would not be easy to beat up.
Member of the People's Freedom Movement


Tagged:
«13

Comments

  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,269Free
    I always finish my Title fights in Undisputed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    image
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

    I always finish my Title fights in Undisputed

    That game is about as balanced as a drunk w/ vertigo btw. lol

    Honest to god, a few of my shipmates back at Fort Sam had Nate Diaz and he KO'd GSP with a headkick right out the gate or like 20 seconds in; can't recall..... but C'mon now (button masher)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,013Free
    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.
    image
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    edited March 2013

    Keem said:

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    Then you realized that cannonritch is not funny and would never say something so clever
    Lol, wtf is up with this can biz anyways?
    Post edited by Keem on
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    GSP has the ability to finish

    He's the one that chooses not to use it

    The Condit and Diaz fights were predictable to be decisions if GSP won
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    WarWest said:

    GSP has the ability to finish

    He's the one that chooses not to use it

    The Condit and Diaz fights were predictable to be decisions if GSP won

    How in the hell was GSP going to knock out Diaz or submit him, though? You have to keep in mind, he does want to win and stay champion.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement


  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,013Free
    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    Then you realized that cannonritch is not funny and would never say something so clever
    Lol, wtf is up with this can biz anyways?
    Wtf is up with your AV?
    image
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,731Free
    Megasoup said:

    WarWest said:

    GSP has the ability to finish

    He's the one that chooses not to use it

    The Condit and Diaz fights were predictable to be decisions if GSP won

    How in the hell was GSP going to knock out Diaz or submit him, though? You have to keep in mind, he does want to win and stay champion.
    Like I said, the Condit and Diaz fights were predictable to be UD's if GSP won

    Condit and Diaz are tough SOB's
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    Then you realized that cannonritch is not funny and would never say something so clever
    Lol, wtf is up with this can biz anyways?
    Wtf is up with your AV?
    Idk? What it do?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,013Free
    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    Then you realized that cannonritch is not funny and would never say something so clever
    Lol, wtf is up with this can biz anyways?
    Wtf is up with your AV?
    Idk? What it do?
    Look like a tiny, unrecognizable photo with a pixel count of potato.
    image
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    Keem said:

    I finish cans like canstar and canage in undisputed so gsp should be able to finish cans like hardy and fitch.

    I'm not condoning the use of the term "Can", but I thought you called "PATSTER", "CANISTER" at first and I lol'd
    Then you realized that cannonritch is not funny and would never say something so clever
    Lol, wtf is up with this can biz anyways?
    Wtf is up with your AV?
    Idk? What it do?
    Look like a tiny, unrecognizable photo with a pixel count of potato.
    ...ooh

    Well I absolutly love your AV and all the fighters who came from there
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,172Free
    What makes people dislike GSP is that he has the position and the ability to finish fights but doesn't take the risk to accomplish that feat. Some GSP haters are actually closet GSP lovers that wants "Rush" to get finished or to lose a bout to see if he will get his killer instinct back. Its been awhile since we've seen the old St. Pierre. I don't blame him not finishing Condit and Diaz since we all know that they are two of the grittiest fighters in the UFC. But he should've easily been able to finish Joke Shields, Koscheck, and Dan Hardy. Thats the reason why people are giving him so much flak. With his kind of build, with his skill set, and his so called '2300 pounds of force' kicking technique, he should very easily be able to finish his opponents but chooses not to and opts for the safer victory which obviously doesn't sit very well with a lot of fans/people and thats why he has so many haters.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    image
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    image
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    edited March 2013
    Za1994 said:

    What makes people dislike GSP is that he has the position and the ability to finish fights but doesn't take the risk to accomplish that feat. Some GSP haters are actually closet GSP lovers that wants "Rush" to get finished or to lose a bout to see if he will get his killer instinct back. Its been awhile since we've seen the old St. Pierre. I don't blame him not finishing Condit and Diaz since we all know that they are two of the grittiest fighters in the UFC. But he should've easily been able to finish Joke Shields, Koscheck, and Dan Hardy. Thats the reason why people are giving him so much flak. With his kind of build, with his skill set, and his so called '2300 pounds of force' kicking technique, he should very easily be able to finish his opponents but chooses not to and opts for the safer victory which obviously doesn't sit very well with a lot of fans/people and thats why he has so many haters.

    but at the same time a lot of people get the idea that GSP just doesn't want to, or isn't trying enough when really it's GSP's opponents who are keeping him from getting the finish. Some guys can take that option away from their opponents better than others, and GSP certainly tried to against Hardy, Kos, Shields and Fitch but it ultimately comes down to his challengers not wanting to get stopped in title fights against St-Pierre.

    The submissions on Hardy, attack of Koscheck's eye, and the headkick that dropped Shields tells me GSP is trying, so his efforts are fine with me personally and to someone who thinks that's not trying to finish must only consider actually getting the stoppage as a sign to show intent, which isn't reasonable at all.

    Takes 2 to tango
    Post edited by Keem on
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free
    The old GSP weren't even that exciting.
    image
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,046Free
    Unfortunately, all of my title fights I have won via decision.
    But that's because I'm not as good as GSP.

    Hey, wait...
    image
  • DarksjeikDarksjeik Posts: 2,245Free
    Did some 70% sparring this weekend against a physically stronger dude and I eventually had to tap to an armbar. Made me realize again how hard the stuff is that GSP makes look easy.


  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    i finished manhoef

    though it was unranked and i believe he was bob sapp. thats good enough for me
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    image
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    edited March 2013
    Darksjeik said:

    Did some 70% sparring this weekend against a physically stronger dude and I eventually had to tap to an armbar. Made me realize again how hard the stuff is that GSP makes look easy.

    I remember leaving from sparring feeling so punch drunk I was rambling on like a mfer when I talked. I couldn't hold my neck up either from a sparring partner using the clinch, so much. Nothing should be taken for granted in a fight; all that **** hurts and doesn't go away inbetween rounds, or the next day.
    Post edited by Keem on
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


    - C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira


    J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim


    Megumi Fuji

    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

    Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,003Free
    edited March 2013
    Keem said:

    Za1994 said:

    What makes people dislike GSP is that he has the position and the ability to finish fights but doesn't take the risk to accomplish that feat. Some GSP haters are actually closet GSP lovers that wants "Rush" to get finished or to lose a bout to see if he will get his killer instinct back. Its been awhile since we've seen the old St. Pierre. I don't blame him not finishing Condit and Diaz since we all know that they are two of the grittiest fighters in the UFC. But he should've easily been able to finish Joke Shields, Koscheck, and Dan Hardy. Thats the reason why people are giving him so much flak. With his kind of build, with his skill set, and his so called '2300 pounds of force' kicking technique, he should very easily be able to finish his opponents but chooses not to and opts for the safer victory which obviously doesn't sit very well with a lot of fans/people and thats why he has so many haters.

    but at the same time a lot of people get the idea that GSP just doesn't want to, or isn't trying enough when really it's GSP's opponents who are keeping him from getting the finish. Some guys can take that option away from their opponents better than others, and GSP certainly tried to against Hardy, Kos, Shields and Fitch but it ultimately comes down to his challengers not wanting to get stopped in title fights against St-Pierre.

    The submissions on Hardy, attack of Koscheck's eye, and the headkick that dropped Shields tells me GSP is trying, so his efforts are fine with me personally and to someone who thinks that's not trying to finish must only consider actually getting the stoppage as a sign to show intent, which isn't reasonable at all.

    Takes 2 to tango
    When he doesn't posture up to land more devastating shots when he has top control is a sign that he is not trying to finish and is more interested in maintaining position. The fact that he rarely goes for a submission despite having top control through most of the fight is a sign that he doesn't want to finish and is more interested in maintaining position.
    Post edited by waikru on
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

    "Believe in the beard"

    image
  • idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    gsp couldnt finish a ham sandwich

    but hes still the greatest welterweight of all time
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    image
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    edited March 2013
    hes aiso 1 of the least entertaining
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


  • PointNinePointNine Posts: 41Free
    I don't know, but ask Silva how many times he's finished in title defenses. Ask Jones, too.
    Self-inductee of the UFC Forum HOF.
    The People's Mod that no one wants.
    Early favorite to win the 2013 UFC prediction tournament.
    Skrap pack: We Run Dis Ish
    JBJF is not a good poster.
    image
  • amuneraamunera Posts: 1,902Free
    How many people have the talent and potential of GSP? He chooses not to finish. There is where the problem is. If he was a mediocre fightet no one would complain.
    Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
    Fav:
    HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez

    image
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,046Free
    Darksjeik said:

    Did some 70% sparring this weekend against a physically stronger dude and I eventually had to tap to an armbar. Made me realize again how hard the stuff is that GSP makes look easy.

    GSP is never weaker than his opponent. He's always the stronger guy.

    image
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,172Free
    Keem said:

    Za1994 said:

    What makes people dislike GSP is that he has the position and the ability to finish fights but doesn't take the risk to accomplish that feat. Some GSP haters are actually closet GSP lovers that wants "Rush" to get finished or to lose a bout to see if he will get his killer instinct back. Its been awhile since we've seen the old St. Pierre. I don't blame him not finishing Condit and Diaz since we all know that they are two of the grittiest fighters in the UFC. But he should've easily been able to finish Joke Shields, Koscheck, and Dan Hardy. Thats the reason why people are giving him so much flak. With his kind of build, with his skill set, and his so called '2300 pounds of force' kicking technique, he should very easily be able to finish his opponents but chooses not to and opts for the safer victory which obviously doesn't sit very well with a lot of fans/people and thats why he has so many haters.

    but at the same time a lot of people get the idea that GSP just doesn't want to, or isn't trying enough when really it's GSP's opponents who are keeping him from getting the finish. Some guys can take that option away from their opponents better than others, and GSP certainly tried to against Hardy, Kos, Shields and Fitch but it ultimately comes down to his challengers not wanting to get stopped in title fights against St-Pierre.

    The submissions on Hardy, attack of Koscheck's eye, and the headkick that dropped Shields tells me GSP is trying, so his efforts are fine with me personally and to someone who thinks that's not trying to finish must only consider actually getting the stoppage as a sign to show intent, which isn't reasonable at all.

    Takes 2 to tango
    I would believe that if nobody has finished his three opponents. But Lytle, Lawlor, Hendricks, and Ellenberger convinced me that it wasn't his opponents. It was GSP himself. If GSP followed up with the headkick that he landed against Shields, he could've finished him but was so scared of his 'ground game' I mean, top game that he didn't even pounce. When he broke Koschecks orbital, he could've easily threw a headkick to finish but he didn't. If your saying its so hard for GSP to finish, then what does that make Silva and Jones? Gods? What my OP states is that most haters want GSP to lose to see if he'll start finishing again. The way he kicks now compared to the way he was kicking when he fought Matt Hughes is vastly different. He just doesn't take the risk anymore. And the haters just want to see him take risks again for once in 4 years. Why do Ben Henderson don't get as much flak as GSP? Because he obviously tries very hard to finish. You can see him willing to give up position for monster strikes and elbows. But GSP doesn't. He's okay with holding position and not risking to lose it. And a lot of people don't like that. So why not hope for him to lose a fight to see if he'll get his killer instinct back? Thats where all the hate comes from.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    image
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    image
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free
    amunera said:

    How many people have the talent and potential of GSP? He chooses not to finish. There is where the problem is. If he was a mediocre fightet no one would complain.

    He cant finish with those pillowhands.
    image
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    i think GSP (now) just wants to win figts and retain his title. he does not have t finish anyone... they have to try to finish him (you have to BEAT the champ to become champ). hes smart and he scores points. i find it completely boring and want my PPV money back because GSP is just doing what he can to pad the stats of his already impressive career, but the bottim line is that he wins fights. sure he could have easily finished a few, but that opened him up to maybe a 30-40% risk of being countered (lets just say that for now). it he takes it to the ground then thay now have about 5% chance of countering and winning the fight. hes boring, but theres nothing worng with winning, IMO/
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

    image

    "Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

    "I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

    Miesha Nose.
Sign In or Register to comment.