Where does Diaz really rank in terms of skill?

BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
Since his return he's only 1-2 in this recent ufc run...he has not fought bums...everyone of them were top 5ers with his only win as a past his prime BJ

I think he's only a top 10er in terms of skill and loses to a good number of guys

GSP
Maia
Condit
Rory
Hendricks
Then a 3 way Tie with Alves,Kampman Diaz

That put Diaz top 6 at highest 8th at lowest

Due to his lacking of side to side movement that hold his striking to only walking down guys I see him losing a few stand up battles and his lacking wrestling to get many of the top guys down on a regular bases I don't see him subbing many guys

I think of the current top 10er I see him only beating Ellenburger,Alves(if he can get it on the mat),Kampman,Story

That's a good list of talented guys...but it still only leaves him at 6th at best

I just dont think Diaz has top 5er skill
Sig record
40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>

Comments

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    He has Top 5 skills, just not the best outlook/approach to his fights
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    Keem said:

He has Top 5 skills, just not the best outlook/approach to his fights

Could u give a list of all the guys he beat vs. Who he loses too

Sig record
    40-21

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

• megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited March 2013
    His footwork is nonexistent, his BJJ is way overrated, his boxing is one dimensional (especially if you're not playing his game, which consists of brawling with him, he just doesn't know what to do if the guy he's fighting doesn't stand in front of him trading punches).

He doesn't have any kind of good kicks, his clinch work is horrible, he gives up and loses confidence in himself if he starts losing rounds and although his cardio is really good it doesn't really help him if the other fighter decides to wrestle with him and grind him out against the cage or in the floor since his defensive wrestling is also nonexistent.

GSP had ample of opportunities to fully take his back and maybe work off some subs or even some better angles to land the G'n'P, but of course he didn't since he knew he was winning the point battle.

You have to be a very specific kind of fighter for you to lose against Nick you have to be a fighter that is stupid/hot headed or so gotten to by Nick that you are willing to bang with a guy who has a great chin and can throw way more punches than you, for a way longer period of time, and even then you might still have a shot, BJ was playing his game and won the first round before gassing out.

Put him against Rory next, he won't be a **** like GSP and he'll actually try to hurt Diaz.
    Post edited by megaman on

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    edited March 2013
    imo heres the WW division in terms of skill.

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    edited March 2013
    He is definitely up there skill wise

But because he likes to act like an idiot by not approaching fights and changing on the fly like he should it will be hard for him to stay ranked in the top 5 (non-skill wise)

But yes, skill wise he is top 5
    Post edited by WarWest on
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,073Free
    Glad he is not grossly overrated anymore. Hes good, but not great. Hes top ten. No way in hell top 5. I could see him losing to 10 or more WW's due to it being a bad matchup for him.
    Lets not forget he struggled in his SF title fights. He got beat up a bit, dropped, and almost finished in quite a few of them.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free

Glad he is not grossly overrated anymore. Hes good, but not great. Hes top ten. No way in hell top 5. I could see him losing to 10 or more WW's due to it being a bad matchup for him.

the way I look at top 5 in terms of skill is this...are you skilled enough to where no one is a bad match up for you except the champ

I just cant say a top5 has a bad match up skill wise against a person of lower rank cuz how are you top 5 then if so skilled?
    Sig record
    40-21

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    Skill wise he is number 1

The only way you can beat him is by running away (Condit) or holding on for dear life (GSP)

If Diaz was in it to win the competition he would win everytime.....but instead he comes to fight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    Diaz is very skilled, his cardio is insane, his boxing is sharp, but he has this tough guy mentality that will cost him in MMA fights. His disdain for wrestling will continue to **** him as long as he competes in MMA.

Diaz fights like there was no time limit, and if that was true he'd probably beat everyone at Welterweight. He's ridiculously tough to finish and his cardio is the best.

I'm not trolling, Diaz may not ever win a UFC fight again because the blueprint to beat him is right there. As much as we hate it, point fighting (no offense) is part of the sport, this is not a fight without rules, it is a sport.
  • LegrosfleauLegrosfleau Posts: 622Free
    For the record BJpenn was nowhere near top 5 when he got the diaz fight. Wasnt even a ww at that time.
    Account bet victory:

Adambomber 3,800 posts : UFC116 Lesnar vs Carwin.
  • LegrosfleauLegrosfleau Posts: 622Free

Skill wise he is number 1

The only way you can beat him is by running away (Condit) or holding on for dear life (GSP)

If Diaz was in it to win the competition he would win everytime.....but instead he comes to fight

haha
    I got to say this for myself too. If i didnt lose all the time, i would be the best.
    if we follow this rule, we are all GOAT's
    Account bet victory:

Adambomber 3,800 posts : UFC116 Lesnar vs Carwin.

For the record BJpenn was nowhere near top 5 when he got the diaz fight. Wasnt even a ww at that time.

That's retarded, BJ had just knocked out Hughes in the first round and went to a DRAW against Jon Fitch in a number 1 contender's fight, the main event of the Australian card.

Jon Fitch was riding a huge win streak until that fight

Diaz is very skilled, his cardio is insane, his boxing is sharp, but he has this tough guy mentality that will cost him in MMA fights. His disdain for wrestling will continue to **** him as long as he competes in MMA.

Diaz fights like there was no time limit, and if that was true he'd probably beat everyone at Welterweight. He's ridiculously tough to finish and his cardio is the best.

I'm not trolling, Diaz may not ever win a UFC fight again because the blueprint to beat him is right there. As much as we hate it, point fighting (no offense) is part of the sport, this is not a fight without rules, it is a sport.

His boxing is far from "sharp" and we have yet to see his "insane" cardio in MMA. He has never pushed a hard pace for 5 rounds. In the Condit and St Pierre fights why didnt he do more. He should have no fear of gassing if he has insane cardio right? You are making assumptions here.

His boxing is far from "sharp" and we have yet to see his "insane" cardio in MMA. He has never pushed a hard pace for 5 rounds. In the Condit and St Pierre fights why didnt he do more. He should have no fear of gassing if he has insane cardio right? You are making assumptions here.
    Not really, he didn't do more because he's not the smartest fighter, and as I said, he fights like there was no time limit.

He's not aware of the scorecards like many other fighters are. For example, Hendricks took Condit down repeatedly because he knew that would win him rounds, he didn't really try to finish Condit on the ground.

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,372Free
    dude needs better gameplans

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

dude needs better gameplans

Definitely. And great sig
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    He looks worse than he really is cause he faced a running Condit and, well, GSP.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,073Free
    PunchBag said:

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann

Man Condit sure is high up there, which is odd given how Kampmann handled him
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Mangasm said:

PunchBag said:

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann

Kampmann got KTFO by the Rigg in 5 seconds.

Condit took Rigg's biggest shots and kept attacking. Jonny was lucky it was a lame 3-rounder.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.

Mangasm said:

PunchBag said:

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann

Condit took Rigg's biggest shots and kept attacking. Jonny was lucky it was a lame 3-rounder.
    Having a better chin is not a skill
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Mangasm said:

Mangasm said:

PunchBag said:

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann

Having a better chin is not a skill
    not getting KTFO in 5 seconds is.
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
    Mangasm said:

PunchBag said:

gsp
    maia
    condit
    hendricks
    rory
    saffedine
    marquadt
    elenberger
    diaz
    kampmann

Lmao, everybody knows Carlos kicked his ****. That was a big time robbery. That loser had to resort to lay and pray in the third to get a robbery decision. Cant wait till Carlos beats this no-chinned losers **** again.
    PATSTER said:

^ Diaz too

Canmann doesn't have the right to call out Nick

Kampmann deserves better than Nick is the thing... Maybe Maia

PATSTER said:

^ Diaz too

Canmann doesn't have the right to call out Nick

Canmann haha i like it. And yes, Diaz would blast the Canmann.

I still confidently believe Canmann has the worst chin in the UFC.
    Matt Brown would wipe his *** with Canmann
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bro, youtube search Matt brown highlight, watch the one submitted by benjamin brown. Its one of the sickest HL reels ever.
    Matt Brown has too many highlights to fit in one video

Brown and Kampmann both stomp Diva