Mousasi: I don't care who I fight

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited April 2013 in UFC
Armenian MMA veteran Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2) is scheduled to fight UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1) this weekend in Sweden. Two of the most promising light heavyweights on the UFC roster, "The Dreamcatcher" and "The Mauler" are set to headline the Fuel TV card in Gustafsson's home country of Sweden. Gustafsson has built an impressive six-fight win streak since his submission loss to Phil Davis at UFC 112, but he faces a tough stylistic challenge in amateur boxing champion, undefeated kickboxer and former Strikeforce and Dream champ, Mousasi. But the fight, and the entire card, was thrown into jeopardy yesterday when the Swede revealed he had sustained a cut above his eyebrow in training. UFC president Dana White is yet to rule him out, but initial comments from the Swedish MMA Federation have not been promising. Mousasi, arguably the most experienced 27-year-old in the sport, told the MMA Hour he didn't care who his opponent was, he just wanted to fight on Saturday night

"So far as I know, the fight is still on ... I trained for a fight, you know, I don't care if they change opponents as long as I fight, that was what I was thinking. I don't care (who is) the opponent. I trained for it for eight weeks, even longer, so I just wanted to fight. I don't care if it's him or someone else ... For sure, a little motivation goes, but what can I do, you know, I don't have any control ... I haven't heard a lot, but my manager's in contact with Joe Silva, I believe, and from what I've heard, the fight is on and we're going to go tomorrow to Sweden to the fights and everything is the same as usual. (The UFC) said nothing about a different opponent, they said the fight is the same, so I don't know. I don't know what kind of injury he has, I know it's a cut but other than that, I don't know a lot ... If he's cut, I'm going to make sure I'm going to hit him where he's cut. I'm not going to be Mr Friendly and be very sporty, I don't care, I just want to win the fight."

From MMA Lives Here - feel free to subscribe for free updates!
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments

• ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,957Free
    Lol wow. GeBum says he plans on trying to open his cut. What a loser.
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Time to reach out to Brock Lesnar!

No April Fools is complete here on the forums without Lesnar
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,354Free
    Lol respect how he told it how it is saying he will aim for the cut I really hope he wins.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    edited April 2013
    Wow he trained a whole 8 weeks,he is over worked ...lol.
    I wonder if he got that training regimen from Hendo.
    I do like him as a fighter,but man,no wonder these guys never improve with such shallow training.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 441Free
    I was somehow hoping Mous would spoil the party in Stockholm, but after hearing his aimings, Gus all the way!
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,547Free
    Whats the big deal. If a fighter has a known injury going into a fight, its more than fair to attack said injury be it a cut or a situation similar to Overeem/Lesnar where Overeem hit Brock with repeated kicks and knees to the abdomen.

Its no different than a fighter going out of his way to wrestle an opponent who might have a grappling weakness.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free

Whats the big deal. If a fighter has a known injury going into a fight, its more than fair to attack said injury be it a cut or a situation similar to Overeem/Lesnar where Overeem hit Brock with repeated kicks and knees to the abdomen.

Its no different than a fighter going out of his way to wrestle an opponent who might have a grappling weakness.

yeah but you don't win fans by saying that do you.

Mousasi saying I'll aim for the cut is dishonorable on face value. A fan hears this and thinks "ooh he is a dirty or cheap fighter etc"

say the fight happens, the cut opens up and there is a doctor stoppage everyone will instantly say " Mousasi said he was going to do that-its a cheap way to win"

Had Mousasi not made the comment and the same stoppage occurs, the emphasis will then be on Gus- Fans will more likely be sympathetic for Gus (rather than remembering gegard's statement about aiming for the cut)
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • skullboneskullbone Posts: 1,954Free
    If this man wants to win he better hope he gets a new opponent. He should've gotten somebody like Krzysztof Soszynski or Joey Beltran in the first place. Jumping right into the top five is going to be trial by fire.
    I suppose I see your point about actually coming out and saying it but personally I have no problem with it. If he didn't go for the cut I think he would be an idiot for not capitalizing on his opponents transgression. He's stating the obvious really.

It's just worse then my aforementioned Overeem example because stoppages due to cuts are a lackluster way to win. Even if its a lopsided fight, a cut stoppage is just so anticlimactic. Now no one cared about overeem smashing Brocks stomach after his illness because it caused the fight to end in a pretty exciting TKO.

I wanted Gus to win and picked him to, but now Im not so sure.

!!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• SolidStateLogicSolidStateLogic Posts: 4,181Free
    Lol at all of the butthurt people crying over him saying he's going to aim for the cut... What did you expect him to say? "Because he's cut i'll make sure that I won't hit him there so the fight doesn't get stopped via cut."

It's not his fault Gus was an idiot one week out of the fight and got cut in training...
    Overeem - Hari - Spong - Daley - Hardy - Manhoef - A. Silva - Rutten - Diaz Bros
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Do people expect him to actively avoid the cut? Weak trolling right there
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free
    jduk said:

Do people expect him to actively avoid the cut? Weak trolling right there

No.

He'd be stupid not to aim for it.

But he is stupid for saying he will.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    Gayguard should have to take a JBJ elbow to the forehead before the fight to make things even.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

• AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    edited April 2013
    I have more respect for him to say he will go directly for the cut, why the **** wouldn't you? you would be stupid not to. ez win.
    Post edited by Ansem on

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 441Free
    Ansem said:

I have more respect for him to say he will go directly for the cut, why the **** wouldn't you? you would be stupid not to. ez win.

I don't see it as clever or stupid. It is his decision, something he feels well with. Like Brian Stann - he got two legit options and he picked the right one (by my measures).