What happens to the UFC when Dana White retires?

IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,908Free
And who could take his place?
Tagged:

Comments

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Someone who acts like a professional takes over and runs the company better than DW ever did. Legitimacy is brought back to the sport and we start to see some of the best fights that have ever taken place in history

• ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,961Free
    RamGOAT would replace him as prez.
    Well of course. He deserves more credit than anyone. The Fertita's, Chuck, Tito, Randy, etc. But what was good for bringing it up may not be good for keeping it going in the right direction

I would rather someone who isn't as outspoken as Dana is be running the company. Dana talks so much that of course at least half of what he says is either made up/false, or he ends up going back on what he once said. He looks foolish. And he seems to take everything so personal.

Bottom line, the UFC needs to go in a different direction. It's kinda hard to pinpoint where and when this change exactly happened, but everything seems to be a cash grab now. Probably with the buying of the WEC. They took on a TON of more fighters, so they need to make the most of each and every fight. But that is a short sighted goal. It will not keep them going forever.
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    Dana White is a lot like Chuck Lidell right now- he did things for the sport that no one else in his position could've, but his time has come and gone, and it's high time for a young, new face with a new outlook to step in and help redifine the sport.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,908Free
    Yeah it seems like a cash grab but lets say the next guy is just some money hungry guy who doesnt care about the fans and is blatently bleeding the company. Dana's a huge fan of mma and tries to give the fans what they want even with all the public things he does such as endless interview and even vlogs, id rather have a guy like Dana who interacts with fans then a rarely seen quiet guy who hides away at the top of his tower.
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    someone who doesnt have to have his face smeared all over everything that is and ever was UFC. sorry dana... love the fights... hate to see you everywhere.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
    All Dana does is sell us wolf tickets.

He has promised us forever that he is working on GSP/Silva. He said somewhat recently that he will for sure make it happen

He gave Diaz two title shots, after getting only a single win in the WW division since his return to the UFC

He gave Sonnen a LHW title shot after losing his chance in a MW title shot

He gave Belfort a LHW title shot after not having compete at LHW since his return to the UFC

He gave Frankie Edgar a FW title shot after losing his past 2 LW title fights

He kept Dan Hardy, yet cut Jon Fitch

Skipped out on Pettis' title shot

Gilbert is getting instant title shot. Only guy as a SF champion to get one

Rousey was given the UFC Womens championship without ever having to compete as a UFC fighter

I liked Bjorn Rebney until I found out how dirty he is with his handling of contracts
  • mr.hammondmr.hammond Posts: 41Elite
    vince mcmahon would buy the spot in a heartbeat.

All Dana does is sell us wolf tickets.- Thats just promoting.

He has promised us forever that he is working on GSP/Silva. He said somewhat recently that he will for sure make it happen- It takes more then just Dana to make a fight happen.

He gave Diaz two title shots, after getting only a single win in the WW division since his return to the UFC- Diaz Vs Gsp made money so it made sense for that.

He gave Sonnen a LHW title shot after losing his chance in a MW title shot- True

He gave Belfort a LHW title shot after not having compete at LHW since his return to the UFC- Who else would of fought JJ that stepped up

He gave Frankie Edgar a FW title shot after losing his past 2 LW title fights- True

He kept Dan Hardy, yet cut Jon Fitch- Hardy is exciting to watch unlike Fitch

Skipped out on Pettis' title shot. True

Gilbert is getting instant title shot. Only guy as a SF champion to get one- True

Rousey was given the UFC Womens championship without ever having to compete as a UFC fighter- What other WMMA fighter could have hyped a fight like Rousey.

I liked Bjorn Rebney until I found out how dirty he is with his handling of contracts- Hmm

• We have a behind the scenes president, and Dana is found O.D'd with record amounts of cocaine in his system.
  • Andy_AndersonAndy_Anderson Posts: 572Free

Someone who acts like a professional takes over and runs the company better than DW ever did. Legitimacy is brought back to the sport and we start to see some of the best fights that have ever taken place in history

LOL....u gotta be kidding

Identity said:

He has promised us forever that he is working on GSP/Silva. He said somewhat recently that he will for sure make it happen- It takes more then just Dana to make a fight happen.

He gave Diaz two title shots, after getting only a single win in the WW division since his return to the UFC- Diaz Vs Gsp made money so it made sense for that.

He gave Sonnen a LHW title shot after losing his chance in a MW title shot- True

He gave Belfort a LHW title shot after not having compete at LHW since his return to the UFC- Who else would of fought JJ that stepped up

He gave Frankie Edgar a FW title shot after losing his past 2 LW title fights- True

Gilbert is getting instant title shot. Only guy as a SF champion to get one- True

Rousey was given the UFC Womens championship without ever having to compete as a UFC fighter- What other WMMA fighter could have hyped a fight like Rousey.

I liked Bjorn Rebney until I found out how dirty he is with his handling of contracts- Hmm

I'm not a fool. I understand that's promoting. But if you are a Pre-TUF fan, you know that there doesn't need to be wolf tickets involved. That's how the sport got here in the first place, off of legit fights. Though I know some will argue that plenty of fighters got title shots that didn't deserve them, they will compare "deserve" back then to "deserve" today. You didn't have to have the best resume to get a title shot back then cause the sport wasn't as deep as it is today.

And we hear from both GSP and Silva all the time. They don't ever sound like they want to 100% jump into this fight. Only Dana is saying "Oh yeah, for sure **** they **** want to ****ing fight...***** ***** **** ***. It's gonna get done" Again, it's wolf tickets. He wants people to pay attention to them, so he does just that by talking about an ever elusive super fight that everyone knows will never happen. Again, he looks like a fool

And GSP/Diaz made money? Of course it did, but it's not a fight that even remotely made sense. And as for the JJ fight, ANYONE who was a LHW with a win. Not a MW coming out of a catchweight fight.

And Fitch was boring...so what? He was a winner. So you're a fan who doesn't care for legitimacy? I understand keeping Hardy, he is fun to watch. You can still have "fun fights". But to keep a loser and cut a winner? It makes no sense.

And as far as Rousey, I have no problem with her, and yes, she is the best to promote a womens fight. But crowning her a champion without her having to win said title? 1 fight into the UFC and she already has defended her title. Well, who did she beat to become champion?

Identity said:

I'm not a fool. I understand that's promoting. But if you are a Pre-TUF fan, you know that there doesn't need to be wolf tickets involved. That's how the sport got here in the first place, off of legit fights. Though I know some will argue that plenty of fighters got title shots that didn't deserve them, they will compare "deserve" back then to "deserve" today. You didn't have to have the best resume to get a title shot back then cause the sport wasn't as deep as it is today.

And we hear from both GSP and Silva all the time. They don't ever sound like they want to 100% jump into this fight. Only Dana is saying "Oh yeah, for sure **** they **** want to ****ing fight...***** ***** **** ***. It's gonna get done" Again, it's wolf tickets. He wants people to pay attention to them, so he does just that by talking about an ever elusive super fight that everyone knows will never happen. Again, he looks like a fool

And GSP/Diaz made money? Of course it did, but it's not a fight that even remotely made sense. And as for the JJ fight, ANYONE who was a LHW with a win. Not a MW coming out of a catchweight fight.

And Fitch was boring...so what? He was a winner. So you're a fan who doesn't care for legitimacy? I understand keeping Hardy, he is fun to watch. You can still have "fun fights". But to keep a loser and cut a winner? It makes no sense.

And as far as Rousey, I have no problem with her, and yes, she is the best to promote a womens fight. But crowning her a champion without her having to win said title? 1 fight into the UFC and she already has defended her title. Well, who did she beat to become champion?
    Well how deep is the women's division? There are a handful of ladies and she appears the best at the moment. If not she will soon lose her title.

As for GSP/Diaz, it was completely a "fan fight". A one off and now George will be defending against the #1 contender. Almost everyone he has fought has been a #1 contender and don't see anything wrong with throwing the fans a bone. In fact I appreciate it as I'm sure Dana knew he would catch hell from the purist.

Just because you don't agree with all the decision does not mean he is bad for UFC/MMA. This is not a perfect science or even close to one. Just a year ago they signed the FOX deal. I doubt anyone else could have done what Dana and the UFC have managed to accomplish in the past ten years. It's been nothing short of incredible for a new sport to have had such a meteoric rise.

Apple thought Steve Jobs sucked. He was an abusive prick and surely they would be better without him. Well, we all know how that worked out.

Point being is this is not Utopia. Anyone that they replace Dana with would have faults as well. My guess is Dana is 10 x better than anyone whom they could replace him with.

Identity said:

Well how deep is the women's division? There are a handful of ladies and she appears the best at the moment. If not she will soon lose her title.

As for GSP/Diaz, it was completely a "fan fight". A one off and now George will be defending against the #1 contender. Almost everyone he has fought has been a #1 contender and don't see anything wrong with throwing the fans a bone. In fact I appreciate it as I'm sure Dana knew he would catch hell from the purist.

Just because you don't agree with all the decision does not mean he is bad for UFC/MMA. This is not a perfect science or even close to one. Just a year ago they signed the FOX deal. I doubt anyone else could have done what Dana and the UFC have managed to accomplish in the past ten years. It's been nothing short of incredible for a new sport to have had such a meteoric rise.

Apple thought Steve Jobs sucked. He was an abusive prick and surely they would be better without him. Well, we all know how that worked out.

Point being is this is not Utopia. Anyone that they replace Dana with would have faults as well. My guess is Dana is 10 x better than anyone whom they could replace him with.
    No, you're not getting what I'm saying. They crowned a champion before a fight. She didn't have to fight someone first to be named champion, he just said 'here, it's yours'. I know it's not that big of a deal, as she won the fight anyway, but it shouldn't have been just given to her.

And yeah, I'm probably being a bit harsh with the Diaz/GSP fight. But still, he got an immediate title shot after losing a title shot. And while it's not a perfect science, throwing just anybody into a title shot is garbage to me. Chael Sonnen against JJ? Vitor against JJ? Edgar against Aldo? You telling me that there are no fighters left at 205 other than Jon Jones, so they need guys from 185 to throw at JJ? If you wanna have fan fights, fine. But don't degrade the titles by having the champions defend them against fill-ins. Have them fight contenders from their own division, or at least a guy coming off a win.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    Maybe someone who isn't afraid to change the rules and judging
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Coker is very respective to everyone inside and outside the sport,he would be a much better man for the job.The Fertita's only had Dana because he is their buddy,they don't want to get into any legal issues with anyone,however Coker is just a calm guy,so i see no probs at all with him in there.
    I think it shows the Fertita's also respect him because they and Dana hate other orgs,they bad mouth other orgs and try to monopolize the sport,yet kept Coker on board.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • SilentDogoodSilentDogood Posts: 237Free
    Galvanik said:

Dana White is a lot like Chuck Lidell right now- he did things for the sport that no one else in his position could've, but his time has come and gone, and it's high time for a young, new face with a new outlook to step in and help redifine the sport.

ur out ur mind, Dana White is the greatest thing for the sport right no one will do a better job than dana white

• secondsoutsecondsout Posts: 441Free
    They should find someone as charismatic as Dana with passion for fighting sports and unbiased. Dana sure has faults but does his job very well.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    they make wandy the chairman and he purges all the boring fighters from the ufc.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

zaksame said:

Coker is very respective to everyone inside and outside the sport,he would be a much better man for the job.The Fertita's only had Dana because he is their buddy,they don't want to get into any legal issues with anyone,however Coker is just a calm guy,so i see no probs at all with him in there.
    I think it shows the Fertita's also respect him because they and Dana hate other orgs,they bad mouth other orgs and try to monopolize the sport,yet kept Coker on board.

Coker? Scott Coker??? Coker could have made the UFC what it's today? NO

Identity said:

No, you're not getting what I'm saying. They crowned a champion before a fight. She didn't have to fight someone first to be named champion, he just said 'here, it's yours'. I know it's not that big of a deal, as she won the fight anyway, but it shouldn't have been just given to her.

And yeah, I'm probably being a bit harsh with the Diaz/GSP fight. But still, he got an immediate title shot after losing a title shot. And while it's not a perfect science, throwing just anybody into a title shot is garbage to me. Chael Sonnen against JJ? Vitor against JJ? Edgar against Aldo? You telling me that there are no fighters left at 205 other than Jon Jones, so they need guys from 185 to throw at JJ? If you wanna have fan fights, fine. But don't degrade the titles by having the champions defend them against fill-ins. Have them fight contenders from their own division, or at least a guy coming off a win.
    I'd suggest asking what he has done right in getting the UFC to where it's today. From a company in the hole to a billion dollar franchise. He has done a lot more right than wrong which is always a good start.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    i know tito ortiz as chairman
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

Identity said:

I agree i much more prefer the 'olden' days of the UFC where you saw a guy rise in the ranks to then challenge the champ. But Dana was then there and he's still here now, sometimes i struggle with how the UFC is evolving but it has to happen and we have to accept it toa point, instead of sitting here like some old guy talking about the good ol days. I'm pretty certain that if Dana wasn't the person he is then the UFC wouldnt be where it is today.

Identity said:

I'd suggest asking what he has done right in getting the UFC to where it's today. From a company in the hole to a billion dollar franchise. He has done a lot more right than wrong which is always a good start.
    Identity said:

Identity said:

I agree i much more prefer the 'olden' days of the UFC where you saw a guy rise in the ranks to then challenge the champ. But Dana was then there and he's still here now, sometimes i struggle with how the UFC is evolving but it has to happen and we have to accept it toa point, instead of sitting here like some old guy talking about the good ol days. I'm pretty certain that if Dana wasn't the person he is then the UFC wouldnt be where it is today.
    I will refer both of you to my second post.

Well of course. He deserves more credit than anyone. The Fertita's, Chuck, Tito, Randy, etc. But what was good for bringing it up may not be good for keeping it going in the right direction

I would rather someone who isn't as outspoken as Dana is be running the company. Dana talks so much that of course at least half of what he says is either made up/false, or he ends up going back on what he once said. He looks foolish. And he seems to take everything so personal.

Bottom line, the UFC needs to go in a different direction. It's kinda hard to pinpoint where and when this change exactly happened, but everything seems to be a cash grab now. Probably with the buying of the WEC. They took on a TON of more fighters, so they need to make the most of each and every fight. But that is a short sighted goal. It will not keep them going forever.

Would you trust someone other then Dana taking the reigns of the UFC? As a new sport still getting its name across do you think someone could take that responsibilty and move forward with it ? Risky.
    edited April 2013
    Uh, absolutely. I understand MMA wouldn't be where it is today without him. But if Dana died today, MMA nor the UFC would just fall off the face of the earth. I 100% believe someone could take over and do just as good a job as him, if not better. Forget Dana of the early 2000's. Other than the FOX deal, what has he done so amazing lately that makes you think he is the absolute best for MMA? It's already an established sport. This isn't the MMA's "Attitude" era anymore. We don't need a brash monkey telling us to **** off in every interview.
    Post edited by CaptainSuperman on
    He's a love or hate kinda guy, but with him gone there will be huuuge shoes to fill.
    Not necessarily. And here is my point. We don't need a guy to run the show like Dana does, being a giant mouthpiece. A behind the scenes kind of guy would do just fine. Which is why I stated that I liked Rebney up until the way he handled not only the Alverez situation, but also with Tyson Nam. Again, Dana says so many things that he looks like a **** when at least half of it comes up not being the truth
    I understand but personelly i'd miss that personality in the UFC.