The LHW Division is My Least Favorite Division Now...

AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,069Free
With the exception of Middleweight, but at least those guys have heart...

How did this division go from being the deepest and most interesting division in MMA to one of the most shallow and forgettable? Not only that, but no one in this division will even step up to save an event! For God's sake, MIDDLEWEIGHTS have been jumping into title contention because everyone in this division is too scared to take a chance!

As for Saturday's fight, I know that it would be difficult to drop enough weight in such a short amount of time for most LightHeavyweights, but I'm sure Dana would have changed this bout to openweight if a big name stepped up. Gegard has already said that he'd fight anyone! What the ****... This is really getting old. These guys are supposed to be professional atheletes.
Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
Tagged:

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    Remember when Dana said no one would step up to fight Jones, except Sonnen? I don't believe for 1 second that not a single LHW in the entire division wouldn't have stepped up to fight for a title.
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,073Free
    Glover, Hendo, and RAMGOAT >>>>> Rest
  • shark26shark26 Posts: 109Free
    nobody knows the really truth behind the scenes

OMG Sharks

Fighters i Like to watch : JDS | Cain | R. Mcdonald | Aldo | Edgar | Rampage | A Silva | E Silva | BJ Penn | Mir |
  • AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,069Free
    Well, what is your explanation? In this age of social media, when everyone has a twitter account, do you really think Dana was able to suppress all of the fighters who might have had an interest in a title shot? He couldn't do that with Mark Hunt, what makes you think he could do it to an entire division?
  • megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited April 2013
    Ameriman said:

Well, what is your explanation? In this age of social media, when everyone has a twitter account, do you really think Dana was able to suppress all of the fighters who might have had an interest in a title shot? He couldn't do that with Mark Hunt, what makes you think he could do it to an entire division?

You do realise the top 10 to 15 guys in the world are all booked right?

Some of them have been scheduled to face each other for months now, like Vinny/Davis fight.

Outside of Manuwa (who I'm guessing is humongous when he's not cutting weight) and Matt Hammil (who looked awful in his last fight) there isn't really anyone who's coming off a win that could just step up and face a top 10 guy in this sort of title eliminator match.

Wandy wanted to fight he was ready, but there's no way the UFC is going to risk losing a contender like Mousasi to a fighter who doesn't even want to be champ again.
    Post edited by megaman on

megaman said:

Ameriman said:

You do realise the top 10 to 15 guys in the world are all booked right?

Some of them have been scheduled to face each other for months now, like Vinny/Davis fight.

Outside of Manuwa (who I'm guessing is humongous when he's not cutting weight) and Matt Hammil (who looked awful in his last fight) there isn't really anyone who's coming off a win that could just step up and face a top 10 guy in a sort of title eliminator.

Wandy wanted to fight he was ready, but there's no way the UFC is going to risk losing a contender like Mousasi to a fighter who doesn't even want to be champ again.
    I don't care who it is or how crappy they looked in their last outings, someone should have stepped up. I'm obviously not talking about Wandy here. Wandy is a beast.
  • megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited April 2013
    When you say someone, are you referring to everyone in the division or divisions (HW's, MW' that could make weight), or just fighters that would actually present a challenge or deserve to be there?

I'm sure there were a ton of bums looking for this fight, but the UFC shut them down beacuse they're a business, not backyard wrestling.

The big names, rising stars, up and comers, fighters on streaks or just simply the guys that go out and just want to give a show win or lose, were taken...

At least the guy they got is on a winning streak and he's swedish, maybe that helped.
    Post edited by megaman on

megaman said:

When you say someone, are you referring to everyone in the division or divisions (HW's, MW' that could make weight), or just fighters that would actually present a challenge or deserve to be there?

I'm sure there were a ton of bums looking for this fight, but the UFC shut them down beacuse they're a business, not backyard wrestling.

The big names, rising stars, up and comers, fighters on streaks or just simply the guys that go out and just want to give a show win or lose, were taken...

At least the guy they got is on a winning streak and he's swedish, maybe that helped.

N-EEE-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Watch this Latifa guy raising on the horizon .....

In Sweeden ? Fighting Mousasi ? and nobody step ? Hmmmm

Not saying big names would BUT wgat about dudes like Te Huna (I know hes booked), Davis, Manuawa ??
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free

Not saying big names would BUT wgat about dudes like Te Huna (I know hes booked), Davis, Manuawa ??

Considering Latifi is 5"8, I'm willing to bet he walks around at very close to 205. Considering he's a training partner of Gustaffson, he's probably been helping for this fight in Sweden. So basically, whereas everyone else would have to worry about weight cutting, flying in, and game planning in under a week, he doesn't. Makes him a pretty convenient guy for this situation.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Galvanik said:

Considering Latifi is 5"8, I'm willing to bet he walks around at very close to 205. Considering he's a training partner of Gustaffson, he's probably been helping for this fight in Sweden. So basically, whereas everyone else would have to worry about weight cutting, flying in, and game planning in under a week, he doesn't. Makes him a pretty convenient guy for this situation.
    There is a huge combo on Latifa reason to be the replacement ....

Ppl gotta remember that UFC also works on making/discovering names ...

Now, to seat here and believe NOBODY would step in ...

MOUSASI VS MANUAWA !!!!!
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    RamGOAT would of accepted it, too bad the UFC pushed him away
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • MachidaPowerMachidaPower Serial Chillin.Posts: 1,963Free
    the only person who could make weight fast enough is lyoto machida, but he wont fight because A) why mess up being the #1 contender (no chance of this happening, but anomalies do occur) and B) i follow his twitter and hes been in hawaii and disneyland with his family.... not training. no real chance he COULD step up, IMO.
    the buffer 180... best move in the UFC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=169_1364680421

"Ameriman is the P4P greatest poster of all time, and he would never welch on a sigbet." [sic]

"I took wanderleisilva101's MMA knowledge to the back of the throat and I loved it! P.S Chael will get destroyed by Wand too!"

Miesha Nose.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free

the only person who could make weight fast enough is lyoto machida, but he wont fight because A) why mess up being the #1 contender (no chance of this happening, but anomalies do occur) and B) i follow his twitter and hes been in hawaii and disneyland with his family.... not training. no real chance he COULD step up, IMO.

Macheater sucks but your Sig pic is just too damn awesome for me to hate you as well.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• DCDWDCDW Posts: 660Free
    I can just imagine the **** storm that would erupt in the LHW division should Chael win. Which is why I'm rooting for him despite that I believe Jones has been an incredible LHW champion and should be held in high regard. Even if you don't take into account any of the LHW not stepping in for D.Henderson, there's been plenty of drama in the past with quite a few of the higher up LHW's (Machida, Evans, etc) with maybe the exception of Shogun. Chael winning IMO would light a fire under all the LHW's, that there would be quite a "charge" in the division for lack of a better word.
  • BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    Its impossible to know what goes on behind the scenes. Lots of fighters can talk all over social media and interviews saying they'll fight anyone and all that but in reality not go through with offers and contracts. No fighter goes out and says "Yea I only take fights that are a good career move and have a balanced risk/reward." but that is 100% for a fact how almost all of them approach potential fights. Not to mention any replacement in Sweden would need a travel VISA and work papers and that takes time to get approved it can't get done in only a few days.

But I still like the LHW division, its still putting on great fights. It's a little top heavy but its been leveling out lately and there a few young guns and new guys on the block. There is a lot of real competition out there for Jones, he's just not facing it yet but when he does we'll have some awesome fights to look forward to.

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    edited April 2013
    Ya i think MOST are catching on to Dana's BS,he asks like 2-3 guys ,then says EVERYONE.
    The one that still baffles the heck out of me,is the Silva-Bonnar fight.
    Silva or his camp,not sure which one,made it clear they only wanted meaningful fights,then he accepted that one within no time at all.To save a card?WTF,,you don't call Silva out of his division to save a card,that leaves an amount of dormant downtime for the rest of his division to get a shot.
    There are tons of guys who could step in to fight a guy like Bonnar,that fight was totally meaningless,you don't grab a belt holder to fill in a sub par fight,it made zero sense.

I think i understand the Chael thing,i believe he probably has a different contract,other than a straight out fight deal.He probably has a deal that includes TV and marketing and hyping fights.So Dana figures,i am paying the guy extra anyhow,might as well use him.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,783Ultimate
    I find when there is a dominant champion who dominates everyone and no new contenders arise, it's a boring division.

That was the WW and MW divisions for a long time, but now in both divisions there are new contenders so they are interesting now (WW - Ellenberger, Hendricks, Rory, Maia and at MW - Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Bisping I guess).

There is basically no one at LHW that poses a threat to Jones anymore, Glover? If he couldn't finish Rampage I doubt he'd do much to Jones, Jones destroyed Rampage, pardon me, RamGOAT.

Gustaffson will just get taken down and submitted like Phil Davis did to him and Phil Davis will get TKO'd rather easily.

I really think Sonnen has a better chance than these guys but until there is a new champion or new contenders that seem like they could beat the champ, the division isn't interesting imo
    UFC Community account: _Josh_
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    edited April 2013
    Jbrahams said:

I find when there is a dominant champion who dominates everyone and no new contenders arise, it's a boring division.

That was the WW and MW divisions for a long time, but now in both divisions there are new contenders so they are interesting now (WW - Ellenberger, Hendricks, Rory, Maia and at MW - Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Bisping I guess).

There is basically no one at LHW that poses a threat to Jones anymore, Glover? If he couldn't finish Rampage I doubt he'd do much to Jones, Jones destroyed Rampage, pardon me, RamGOAT.

Gustaffson will just get taken down and submitted like Phil Davis did to him and Phil Davis will get TKO'd rather easily.

I really think Sonnen has a better chance than these guys but until there is a new champion or new contenders that seem like they could beat the champ, the division isn't interesting imo

Who finishes Rampage in a 3 round fight? Jones didn't finish him until the 4th. Rampage is tough, he's durable and he's hard to submit. He's been finished a total of maybe 5 times with only 2 submission losses. Only one straight KO loss after about 20 knees to the face.

Glover hits hard and he's a big guy. Of course he will still lack some reach but he's a very large and powerful light heavy. Evans and Jones didn't take Rampage down at will.

Jones would beat the hell out of Gustaffson though.

Post edited by Frontline_Rioter on
  • JimzJimz Posts: 1,048Free
    Jones is just to dominant..

to me the lhw division used to be epic because of the heavy competition for the belt, after chuck nobody seemed to be able to keep that thing for more than one or two fights

nowadays everybody looks like a second rate fighter compared to jones