Is Maynard vs Grant a No. 1 Contenders fight?/Who's next in line?

JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
So after Bendo beats Melendez on UFC on FOX 7, there's not really any real, clear LW no. 1 contender.

Diaz - got dominated, will never get a title shot when Bendo is champ again
Miller - dominated by Bendo, loses to top 5 guys anyway
Melendez - gonna get dominated by Bendo
Cerrone - Loses to top 5 guys anyway, lost to Bendo twice already
Pettis - lost his chance by going down to FW (when he loses to Aldo he might need another win for a LW title shot)
dos Anjos - needs 2-3 more wins I reckon
Varner - loses to to many top guys
Lauzon - loses to top guys, inconsistent

And then the other 2 guys are Gray Maynard and TJ Grant. Maynard has been the No. 2 guy in the division for years now and since Edgar is gone, I think he can actually be champion, he poses some interesting threats to Bendo and I would be really interested in that fight.

Whereas Grant has been on a tear lately, destroying everyone and a win over a guy like Maynard basically warrants a title shot in my opinion, not sure how it would go main eventing a card but could definitely be co-main event.

So I think the winner should get the shot,

Agree/Disagree? Thoughts?
UFC Community account: _Josh_
Tagged:

Comments

• MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    Yep. Seems like a good title eliminator with Pettis deciding to duck 155 for some reason
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • basementbasement Posts: 127Free
    Pettis will be king of FW and LW
    Favourite fighters: BJ Penn / Frank Mir / Rousimar Palhares / Diaz Brothers / Dominick Cruz.
    basement said:

The guy who had to snuggle on Jeremy Stephens? Aldo is going to kick his head into orbit
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

• MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,258Free
    edited April 2013
    Mangasm said:

Yep. Seems like a good title eliminator with Pettis deciding to duck 155 for some reason

exactly this.

edit**: bendo will still dominate either one of them. and be champ for a long time :)
    Post edited by MIRKO_CRO_COP on

Mangasm said:

exactly this.

edit**: bendo will still dominate either one of them. and be champ for a long time :)
    I'd call Maynard vs Bendo a toss up. Which is what matters, since there is NO WAY Grant is going to win this fight

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    Sounds about right to me. Any other potential contenders are at least 2-3 wins away from a shot, so I could definitely see the winner of this fight getting the next go for the belt. That being said, I don't give either man much hope of winning it.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    i think if maynard fools himself into thinking he can strike then i can see grant pulling off a tko upset.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• JbrahamsJbrahams Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 11,775Ultimate
    Mangasm said:

Mangasm said:

exactly this.

I'd call Maynard vs Bendo a toss up. Which is what matters, since there is NO WAY Grant is going to win this fight
    I'm not sure if I should pick Grant to win because the last few times I've bet against him he's been a beast, but then again Maynard probably got as close as anyone could get to being a champ without being the champ
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,961Free
    Lmfao. Grant is a **** can. He will never truly be in a title elimanator let alone a title fight.

My boys Khabib, El Cucuy, and Abel Trujillo will all murk him.
    A big thing I'm interested in is Maynard since he now is training at AKA (I think, I know he trained at Nova Uniao too to help someone if I remember correctly) and the fight against Guida was well, not a fight, so we didn't really get to see any of his new skills

So basically it's gonna be the first time we've seen Maynard FIGHT since UFC 136, I'm guessing ring rust will be a BIG factor

Lmfao. Grant is a **** can. He will never truly be in a title elimanator let alone a title fight.

My boys Khabib, El Cucuy, and Abel Trujillo will all murk him.

El Cucuy lol.
  • DaPhreshnessDaPhreshness Posts: 84Free
    It would seem like it with Pettis stepping down and ruining the most anticipated LW title fights since Edgar-Maynard III.

If Ryan Couture gets through Ross Pearson he's going to be in a top position. Rafael dos Anjos is on a tear, and I think after he beats Evan Dunham he'll be one or two wins away. Takanori Gomi should be one of the top people in the weight class, but oh well I guess. Myles Jury and Khabib Nurmagomedov are almost to that point where they'll be in contention. So yeah, I'd say the winner of Maynard and Grant deserves it, and besides, they're the only ones that even look like they might pose a threat to Bendo right now.
    Favorite Fighters by Division:

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Minotauro Nogueira/Matt Mitrione
  • DaPhreshnessDaPhreshness Posts: 84Free
    Jbrahams said:

A big thing I'm interested in is Maynard since he now is training at AKA (I think, I know he trained at Nova Uniao too to help someone if I remember correctly) and the fight against Guida was well, not a fight, so we didn't really get to see any of his new skills

So basically it's gonna be the first time we've seen Maynard FIGHT since UFC 136, I'm guessing ring rust will be a BIG factor

Maynard and Grant are both two of my favorite lightweights, but I kind of see Grant either taking the upset win or Maynard having to resort to wrestling to win this fight. Every one of his losses in the UFC have been by him being outgrappled. He took Johnny Hendricks' best shots and arguably outstruck him. Hendricks, Almeida, and Kim all had to put him down to beat him, and I think Maynard will have to as well. Maynard hits hard, but Grant can take it, and I think he's a better striker.
    Favorite Fighters by Division:

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Minotauro Nogueira/Matt Mitrione

It would seem like it with Pettis stepping down and ruining the most anticipated LW title fights since Edgar-Maynard III.

If Ryan Couture gets through Ross Pearson he's going to be in a top position. Rafael dos Anjos is on a tear, and I think after he beats Evan Dunham he'll be one or two wins away. Takanori Gomi should be one of the top people in the weight class, but oh well I guess. Myles Jury and Khabib Nurmagomedov are almost to that point where they'll be in contention. So yeah, I'd say the winner of Maynard and Grant deserves it, and besides, they're the only ones that even look like they might pose a threat to Bendo right now.

Couture? ehhh I dont think so, majority of people thought he didn't beat KJ Noons and Pearson i probably Top 20 at best. The rest of those guys are at least 2-3 wins away but can definitely be fighting for the title if they keep their streaks going
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,961Free
    PATSTER said:

Interesting. I forgot about Lightweight after the Melendez fight.

It might be if Maynard wins but I don't think they'll give Grant a title shot yet. Jim Miller is definitely up there but he has a loss to Bendo so I'm not sure what will happen with him.

If I had to bet, I'd say Gray Maynard.

We all know what happens at LW after the destruction of the cabbage patch kid.

Khabib vs Abel Trujillo for the next crack at Bendo.

PATSTER said:

Interesting. I forgot about Lightweight after the Melendez fight.

It might be if Maynard wins but I don't think they'll give Grant a title shot yet. Jim Miller is definitely up there but he has a loss to Bendo so I'm not sure what will happen with him.

If I had to bet, I'd say Gray Maynard.

We all know what happens at LW after the destruction of the cabbage patch kid.

Khabib vs Abel Trujillo for the next crack at Bendo.
    Abel is from Blackzillians so he automatically loses
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    I'd like to see Gray vs Bendo, I feel Gray is really underrated/unappreciated
    Mangasm said:

basement said:

The guy who had to snuggle on Jeremy Stephens? Aldo is going to kick his head into orbit
    He's also the guy that beat the current champ, so...
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,911Free
    Frankie Edgar will get a shot before any of them.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    edited April 2013
    josh tomson will be close to title cotnention after he beats nate diaz. arguably hes the current sf lw champ
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,296Free
    Gilbert robbed him

Pettis will be FW and LW champ soon enough

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• OzprideOzpride Posts: 4,065Free
    Really? Fools you forget how this game works.

Aldo moves up and takes the belt.

NEXT!

ANZAC like a boss

Sig Bet Record 34W 10L 1D

• Brent555Brent555 Posts: 3,099Free
    I just don't see why everybody thinks Maynard poses that much of a threat to Bendo.
    boxing@boxing.nv.gov <boxing@boxing.nv.gov>

This is the e-mail belonging to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Any complaints due to poor judging should be directed to them. Let your voice be heard
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Where's Sean Sherk?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Mangasm said:

exactly this.

maynard def has a chance..

as for grant i dont see any against bendo

• MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,258Free

Where's Sean Sherk?

hasnt fought in 3 years...

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    Bendo would KO Maynard quite easily IMO
    jduk said:

Bendo would KO Maynard quite easily IMO

Maynard only gets KO'd by 2 people - Gray Maynard and EdGOAT

Bendo hasn't finished a fight in the UFC, I'm a big fan and I'm not saying he can't, I just don't see him KOing Maynard, especially not "quite easily"

Where's Sean Sherk?

I heard he was coming back this year sometime...Not sure
  • WarEastWarEast Posts: 39Free
    if Aldo beats Pettis he gets the title shot.
    edited April 2013
    Are you @WarWest's crazy twin ?
    Post edited by Identity on