Punch to the side of the head leads to devastating results:

KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free

MMA fights are sometimes like chess matches and you have to play smart and wise to win the battle and war but sometimes an accidental punch to the side of the head and particularly the ear area changes every thing.

A prime example of this mostly lucky/unfortunate punches is the first fight between JDS and Cain. Cain received one grazing punch to the ear area and add this to the killer instinct of JDS and we all know what happened. The second fight had no lucky punch and again we know what happened .

The fight between Matt Mitrione and Phil De Fries is another prime example of this type of punch. I do not want to take any credit from Mitrione, he is a good fighter when he is on but I do not count the receivers of these punches out. I like to give any of this losers another chance to prove or disprove themselves in another fight or fights.

There should be many other examples of this devastating but subtle punches to the back/side of the head which has changed the outcome of fights and sometime the carrier of the fighter but if we give them another chance they may prove that they are Octagon worthy fighters.

Do you remember any other example of these punches and what do you think about these " lucky for the winner but unfortunate for the loser" punches?

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
Tagged:

Comments

• KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free

there is nothing lucky on trying to hit a guy and succeeding.

the difference between JDS/Cain 1 and 2 is not one lucky punch, but that one guy who stood up after being hit, and one guy who gave up after being hit.

guess who is who!

I hear you Spartacus. This thread is not abut Cain or JDS. It is about the lucky punch. why you take this discussion personal. I am a serious fan of JDS and will pay happily to see him fight win or lose.

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    Because he was just an example of this type of punch( or maybe the most famous example). I put my bet on JDS in rubber match. He does not need any lucky punch to prove he is great. He is just Great.
  • TigerChampTigerChamp Nicolas CagePosts: 3,617Free
    Anyone who has been hit in the temple will tell you its a whole lot of suck.

Check out the trophy wall http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147934/forum-trophy-wall#latest
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    you talking **** on JDS boy?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

you talking **** on JDS boy?

No Sir.

lol carry on then
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,295Free
    so... gsp is goat then

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

so... gsp is goat then

Goat at giving rim jobs

so... gsp is goat then

Who was talking about GSP here?

Delete extremely from your post and we have a deal, fair enough?

KOOKORK said:

Delete extremely from your post and we have a deal, fair enough?

replace extremely with very and we have a deal

take it or leave it
    Taken. you have a point and we both like JDS. Why not?

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    Many people train to land a punch pretty close to there...I think its the best spot to hit in the head really

I don't think its lucky or dirty to hit there....some many head kicks land there...is anyone saying they also were dirty or lucky?

Vitor is a wiz at landing near there
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
    It is neither dirty nor illegal, it is just a game changer.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free

the difference between JDS/Cain 1 and 2 is not one lucky punch, but that one guy who stood up after being hit, and one guy who gave up after being hit.

guess who is who!

Are you implying the first fight was fixed?
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,295Free

so... gsp is goat then

Goat at giving rim jobs
    you would know

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,211Free
    edited April 2013
    It's not lucky if you meant to do it. Punching someone behind the ear on the mastoid process is not a "lucky" technique. It's a pretty well known pressure point and knockout spot.

It can take skill to hit a moving target but the same goes for any other accurate strike to a vulnerable target. Anyone that's had some striking experience knows it's a good target to hit just like the temple, jaw solar plexus, liver etc. Overhands and hooks are pretty popular in mma because if you block them it can still get past your guard and disrupt your balance regardless. Most fighters protect thier face/jaw fairly well but you can't protect it all with those little gloves and thier is going to be a tiny gap somewhere for a punch to slip past thier guard.

The downside of throwing a lot of overhands and hooks at the mastoid process is if you throw it hard and miss you can easily break your hand and a lot of fighters tend to land it with the downward trajectory with the index knuckle making contact which is quite fragile and prone to break not to mention the thumb.

Another disadvantage is looping punches are hard not to telegraph so it's easier to avoid altogether or counter with a straight or drop levels and take them down.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 741Free
    A lot of these behind-the-ear-shots seem to happen when the opponent is ducking down, which makes it IMO more about luck than skill, because you can´t hit that way without your opponents action. It is also near places that are illegal to hit, so that adds to the luck factor (or attacker is just a bit of an *** to intentionally target illegal spots).
    The first incident that stuck in my mind was Brock vs. Randy.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,211Free

A lot of these behind-the-ear-shots seem to happen when the opponent is ducking down, which makes it IMO more about luck than skill, because you can´t hit that way without your opponents action. It is also near places that are illegal to hit, so that adds to the luck factor (or attacker is just a bit of an *** to intentionally target illegal spots).
    The first incident that stuck in my mind was Brock vs. Randy.

Ducking is a part of fighting. GSP has been ducking Anderson for years. =))

On a serious note you don't need someone's action of ducking to land that shot. If thier chin is tucked and they are not leaning away it's pretty much exposed either that or straight down the pipe. It happens quite a bit when people turn away from a straight ( like Brock did against Cain ) or when people circle or pivot right into it trying to avoid a strike from the opposite side.

Also would you consider an uppercut a "lucky shot" because someone ducked into it. You can still land it if someone's upright but ofcourse it's more devastating if someone is moving into it's trajectory. How about a knee to the face when someone changes levels to shoot a low single or double. What about when someone bobs and weaves under a hook and gets clocked by the follow up roundhouse kick?

If you mean to do it it's not luck.
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,061Premium
    edited April 2013

There is if the guy throws the punch out of desperation without even aiming.

Post edited by the_enigma on
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free

There is if the guy throws the punch out of desperation without even aiming.

People throw the term lucky punch around way too much.

the first Dos Santos/Cain fight- that was not a lucky punch at all Junior threw that clubbing punch with the intention of it doing exactly what It did.

take the weekends fights for example
    If Latifi had of connected with one of those short full force hooks ( that were well out of range mind you) while Gegard had ducked in at the most inopportune of moments and been knocked out, Then I would call that a lucky punch.

Latifi was throwing those shots out of desperation and hoping for gross error from his opponent.

Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    edited April 2013
    i think latifi might do well agaisnt some of the lesser fighters in the ufc, had 1 of those connected it would have hurt. but mous has good technique, disipline he wasnt catching him we all pretty much knew that. if it had been struve in that cage latifi would have just kod him.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    Imo there is too much leeway on what is considered a punch to the back of the head.I have seen tons of times where guys are getting hit in the back of hit without a stoppage or warning.BTW it is not the ear area but the location right behind the ear,that is a perfect example as to how close it is to the back of the head.Hit yourself right behind the ear and it pretty much feels like a strike to the back of the head.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.