Frank Mir in tears, "reinventing" himself

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited April 2013 in UFC
In the 12 years leading up to his training camp for this weekend’s UFC on Fox 7, Frank Mir (16-6) hadn't spent more than two days away from his family. But in his renewed search for excellence, the 33-year-old has packed his bags and joined the murderers' row of athletes at Jacksons MMA in New Mexico. The former UFC heavyweight champion says it's the first time he's been "in shape," a revelation that astounded light heavyweight champion, Jon Jones. "Frank said to me, 'I've made it so far in my career without training hard.' That's a crazy statement from Frank Mir," Jones said. On the UFC's Road to the Octagon preview show, Mir reflected on his ongoing transformation and time spent away from his wife Jennifer and their three children. See the full video here.

"It's because my family's there, it actually hinders my training. Those last few moments when she's putting my stuff in my bag or I'm tying my tie, I get that kind of, 'Why am I doing this?' Not being with the children, not seeing my wife - it's funny - I've always had a coach who's always tried to find that spark. I think people have even said that sometimes in fights, I sometimes just don't show up. I don't want to miss out on anything and I am missing out on things. I've never had to deal with that sacrifice, and who would know that that was the spark ... I think right now, it's reinventing myself again and trying to really nail down things I've probably been missing my whole career ... You know what the true definition of hell is? It's when you die, you get to meet the person you could have been. People are their greatest enemy. We can just talk ourselves into, 'Oh, that's OK, that's acceptable.' When there's another guy in front of me, trying to punch me in the face and take me down, the truth comes out real quick. That's why I fight. If my mind was not limited by my body, I feel I'd beat everybody in the world. My greatest fear right now is to retire and not have reached my full potential ... I hope that he does question my desire. That might give him a little bit of complacency in his training. I've heard that, you know, he's very talented, but lazy at the same time in the gym. I kind of feel bad that Daniel has to be the first one to actually face an in-shape Frank Mir."

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter and free email updates
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments