Cruz to retain title despite absence

waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
edited April 2013 in UFC
Cruz has been out for 18 months with no date set for his return. Dana finally came to a final decision on the BW title: "He will keep and defend his title," via text. Should the UFC allow him to keep his title?

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9153848/dominick-cruz-remain-official-ufc-bantamweight-champion
Post edited by waikru on
On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

Tagged:

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,250Free
    Lame.

No he should be stripped.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

I don't even like watching Cruz fight anyway. Strip this point fighter.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free
    Yes, he should be allowed to keep it, he's the champ. It's really going to suck for him having to come back from an almost 2 year lay off to fight Barao. That's a real tough fight without injury and time off.
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    nobody considers Cruz the champ anymore.

He beat minimouse and Faber. Barao beat faber worse, Finished Macdonald, ans is set to defend again.

I feel bad for Cruz, but he should be stripped and offered an immediate title shot when/if he comes back
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    edited April 2013
    I'm kind of torn. On one hand, I want Barrao to win the title proper by beating the champ. On the other hand, I don't want Barrao to have to defend an interm title instead of a real world title.
    Post edited by waikru on

"Believe in the beard"

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free

He beat minimouse and Faber. Barao beat faber worse, Finished Macdonald, ans is set to defend again.

I feel bad for Cruz, but he should be stripped and offered an immediate title shot when/if he comes back

Thats not a bad idea.

"Believe in the beard"

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,709Free
    Booooooooooo

Barao is the true champ right now
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    Barao is the real champion , you all know that. Cruz is boring as ****, when he comes back to fight Barao i will be happy to see him get finished.

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Right on

The belt and title of undisputed champion is something earned and not a hot potato
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
    Keem said:

Right on

The belt and title of undisputed champion is something earned and not a hot potato

He earned it originally.

He has not earned the right to keep it.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

That would defeat the whole purpose of Barao winning the interim title

Cruz is the undisputed champ till he's defeated as the same for Barao as the interim champ
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    edited April 2013
    PoloRidah said:

Keem said:

Right on

He earned it originally.

He has not earned the right to keep it.
    ?!
    Post edited by Keem on

Megumi Fuji

Barao will beat Cruz when he comes back

They might as well give it to him now and have Cruz fight him as soon as he's ready
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    DCDW said:

When the Interim champ has more title defenses than the champ, then it should change hands officially.

Lmao
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,896Free
    I've defended the title more times then cruz
    DCDW said:

When the Interim champ has more title defenses than the champ, then it should change hands officially.

The interim champ becomes the real deal when he beats the undisputed champ

Interim title defenses don't change that; the title unificaiton match will though

Megumi Fuji

• SolidStateLogicSolidStateLogic Posts: 4,181Free
    I like Cruz more than Barao but Barao is and should be considered the champ at BW, he's defended his title and beaten everyone. It's going to a really hard fight for Cruz when he comes back to fight Barao with a 2 year lay off.
    Overeem - Hari - Spong - Daley - Hardy - Manhoef - A. Silva - Rutten - Diaz Bros
  • GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    Cruz should be stripped of the title and have an immediate title shot upon his return. I don't even think Cruz would argue with that decision.
    Bet Record: 2-3
    edited April 2013
    Galvanik said:

Cruz should be stripped of the title and have an immediate title shot upon his return. I don't even think Cruz would argue with that decision.

Cruz is opposed to giving up his belt. He made that clear on the UFC tonight show and Urijah Faber backed him up on that despite their animosity towards each other. Barao is great, I like his style, but the title of "undisputed champ" isn't given it's earned. His interim title isn't any less than of a legitmate title at the end of the day
    Post edited by Keem on

Megumi Fuji

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,804Free
    edited April 2013
    but if barao looses his interim title hes hardly going to be remembered as a champ, nobody considers condit a ufc champ even though he himself won an interim belt. I compeltely understand why barao would want to have his belt upgraded, hes putting it all on the line and if he looses he isnt remembered as a ufc champ, yet hes defended the belt more times than cruz
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    PoloRidah said:

Lame.

No he should be stripped.

THIS ;)
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,957Free
    Very bad call IMO.

I was hoping Zuffa would set an example here. You cant have an interim champ fill in for the champ, the champ gets injured for another year, and let him keep his belt.
  • Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    WAR BARAO
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

JBJF is a good poster

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,556Free
    Cruz doesn't own the damn division. It's Barao's now. Let him get an immediate title shot when he's healthy, but it's bordering on ridiculousness to let a guy back up an entire division of great fighters.

What if Cruz suffers another set back? What if something goes really wrong and he can't fight anymore, would Barao get all his interim title defenses counted as undisputed title defenses or would they mean nothing because he hadn't been officially crowned yet?

To me its BS to let his defenses fall by the wayside just because Cruz isnt healing well enough to get back in a reasonable timeframe.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Thread title sounds like a headline in the Onion newspaper.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    PunchBag said:

but if barao looses his interim title hes hardly going to be remembered as a champ, nobody considers condit a ufc champ even though he himself won an interim belt. I compeltely understand why barao would want to have his belt upgraded, hes putting it all on the line and if he looses he isnt remembered as a ufc champ, yet hes defended the belt more times than cruz

This. Cruz has been out for WAY to long. Barao should be upgraded to undisputed champ and Cruz gets his crack on return.

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    PunchBag said:

the difference is Condit didn't defend the belt, by the time Cruz is back barao will of had two title fights.