Maia How do you think he would fare with GSP (now)

DecisionGeorgeDecisionGeorge Posts: 73Free
I do believe that Maia is the only threat now to GSP, he's the only guy that GSP can't lay and pray on and even the Jabbing expert that he possesses might not be a threat or as effective, since Maia's striking has vastly improved, even with size Maia seems bigger. What do you think?
OLeg Taktarov - All time Favorite
Old school UFC Fan
Tagged:

Comments

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free
    Maia used to be a can, what happened?
  • DecisionGeorgeDecisionGeorge Posts: 73Free
    Yah, he's still a CAN and can be beaten by any WW especially with knock-out power but I do believe with GSP he is a threat, SAFE has no one-punch knock-out so I'm sure he can endure all the pity patty jabs or even the girly GnP(according to Diva not my word).
    Old school UFC Fan
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    edited April 2013
    Maia has no chance against GSP but he isn't a can. GSP's standup is far far far superior and he would easily be able to block any takedown attempts by Maia and if the fight did go to the ground (which it wouldn't) GSP would be on top and be able to avoid anything Maia throws up at him.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on

Maia has no chance against GSP but he isn't a can. GSP's standup is far far far superior and he would easily be able to block any takedown attempts by Maia and if the fight did go to the ground (which it wouldn't) GSP would be on top and be able to avoid anything Maia throws up at him.

This is the reason I want to see this, both of our contention are speculation. You believe he can't TD Safe but I think Maia can take him down and leeched him the way he did to Fitch
    Old school UFC Fan
    edited April 2013
    GSP is a better wrestler, athlete and overall fighter than Fitch. I don't think it's fair to compare the two in any way.

Depending who Maia gets next we might see him fight for a title. No one's available right now but say they gave him Nick Diaz I think that's an insanely winnable fight for him and beating Nick would get him a title shot for sure.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    edited April 2013

GSP is a better wrestler, athlete and overall fighter than Fitch. I don't think it's fair to compare the two in any way.

Depending who Maia gets next we might see him fight for a title. No one's available right now but say they gave him Nick Diaz I think that's an insanely winnable fight for him and beating Nick would get him a title shot for sure.

If GSP ends up fighting Hendricks, then the next in line will be the winner of Rory/Jake so I feel like Maia vs Woodley would be a good fight right now, since Tarec and Lawler are already fighting each other.

Then the winners of Maia/Woodley, Tarec/Lawler fight to see who's the next in line.
    Post edited by megaman on

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,293Free
    He would sub GSP in round4 or 5 when after he's gassed. Diaz could have done the same if he tried
    I think Nick Diaz is harder fight for Maia compare with GSP, Nick boxing will maul Maia compare to GSP's no power punches but he defeats the DIVA I'm more than sure GSP will be an easy fight for him
    Old school UFC Fan
    jduk said:

He would sub GSP in round4 or 5 when after he's gassed. Diaz could have done the same if he tried

That's what I see too
    Old school UFC Fan
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    He's a legit threat and I think the only guy who can finish GSP

Maia is slightly better then shields at striking and way better at BJJ
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    edited April 2013

in that 3rd round agaisnt diaz i reckon diaz could have taken gsp down had he tried, gsp is on his way out first his cardio then it will be his timing. I think both hendricks and maia have a good chance
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

megaman said:

If GSP ends up fighting Hendricks, then the next in line will be the winner of Rory/Jake so I feel like Maia vs Woodley would be a good fight right now, since Tarec and Lawler are already fighting each other.

Then the winners of Maia/Woodley, Tarec/Lawler fight to see who's the next in line.
    Actually in my DREAM, I don't want Maia to go through with fighters with one punch knock-out and Woodley although its a long shot, don't know if he just got lucky with his previous fight but still he possesses it. I just see that he can endure any striking that GSP can give and he can LEECH him.

Old school UFC Fan

I think Nick Diaz is harder fight for Maia compare with GSP, Nick boxing will maul Maia compare to GSP's no power punches but he defeats the DIVA I'm more than sure GSP will be an easy fight for him

Diaz has weak TDD and no footwork. Maia would be able to grab a hold of him and neutralize the standup of Nick especially if he takes it to the ground where his grappling is far above Nick's. He wouldn't have that privilege against GSP who is a better striker than Diaz and knows how to wrestle and utilize footwork.
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Gsp would win this pretty easy, his stand up is far better i mean baring a 10/20 second spell in the 3rd round he won the stand up with Diaz.

Maia wouldn't be able to get this fight to the ground Imo so his best weapon wouldn't come into effect.

Diaz has weak TDD and no footwork. Maia would be able to grab a hold of him and neutralize the standup of Nick especially if he takes it to the ground where his grappling is far above Nick's. He wouldn't have that privilege against GSP who is a better striker than Diaz and knows how to wrestle and utilize footwork.
    If that is so (re: Diaz) I'm more confident that Maia can TAKE gsp, Safe striking is so weak now that I'm sure he can get close even being hit several times. Maia will LEECH gsp the way he did Fitch and even if Safe ended on top on the ground he will be submitted.
    Old school UFC Fan
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    Maia wins by out striking GSP

Just like Shields did because GSP was deathly scared of the takedown LoL
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine

If that is so (re: Diaz) I'm more confident that Maia can TAKE gsp, Safe striking is so weak now that I'm sure he can get close even being hit several times. Maia will LEECH gsp the way he did Fitch and even if Safe ended on top on the ground he will be submitted.
    Maia would never make it passed GSP's jab.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    jduk said:

This. GSP ain't knocking him out. Once the championship rounds commence and that jab starts slowing down, Maia will find an opening. He showed great cardio in a complete grindfest against Fitch.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

Maia would never make it passed GSP's jab.
    Actually, I'm sure Maia would just Bull Rush on gsp's jabs coz he knows it ain't knocking anyone out,
    Old school UFC Fan
    Gsp has stuffed much better wrestlers then Maia and out struck guys with much better stand up. Everyone said Diaz would beat gsp standing and that never happened.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,826Free
    GSP got outstruck and outcardio'd by Shields

Maia's striking is lightyears ahead of Shields
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Diaz got out struck by gsp.
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
    Gabri1985 said:

Gsp has stuffed much better wrestlers then Maia and out struck guys with much better stand up. Everyone said Diaz would beat gsp standing and that never happened.

I for one doesn't believe Diaz can beat GSP but the case about Maia is this, Gsp played on the weakness of striker with wrestling and vice versa for wrestler to strike with him but neither of this is applied with Maia, its not about out-striking or outwresstling so he'll be force to grind with him whether standing or on the ground and to add he can't take advantage of his size and strength
    Old school UFC Fan
  • GSP_over_SilvaGSP_over_Silva Posts: 12,185Free
    Maia via first round KO.
    Believe in Beard
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,188Free
    Maia would no doubt be the underdog. But I see nobody else challenging GSP after Hendricks other than Maia. It will be a technical fight and I want to see what Maia can do to GSP.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,369Free
    GSP 50 - 45

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free

GSP would just stand there and feed him jabs all day long. this is the epitome of a boring fight, no thanks.

actually that would be exciting in gsp terms

"Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• BlackziliansBlackzilians Posts: 565Free
    Identity said:

Maia used to be a can, what happened?

he became amazing
    Maia vs Rousey
    Phenom 'n Suga
    Welcome to Welterweight Division Mr. Lombard.
    AAAND NEW! UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Alexander Gustafsson