White: Cormier fought safe

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
UFC president Dana White thinks debutant Daniel Cormier (12-0) won a safe but dominant decision against Frank Mir (16-7) last night. Cormier and Mir clashed in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 7 in San Jose, with the former Olympian earning a convincing UD. The highly-touted 34-year-old outworked Mir (16-7) over three rounds, pushing him against the cage and landing punches in bunches to the body. While most fans were expecting a finish or at least a more exciting fight, Cormier showed he has what it takes to make an impact in the division. White likes the idea of his new signing dropping to 205lbs to challenge champion Jon Jones (17-1), but Cormier is yet to make up his mind. Here’s what White had to say at the post-fight press scrum. See the full video here.

“I think he fought a safe fight tonight, he fought a safe fight. He dominated the entire fight, he did what he wanted to. I was a little surprised by his punching power. I don’t think his punching power (at heavyweight) is what it could be at 205lbs. But who knows, if he has a hard cut, if he has a hard time cutting there – there’s a lot of questions still. He’s a tough, durable guy that can go in there and muscle anybody around, but you’re at a whole other level here in the UFC. Even though he fought Barnett – who, I said before, I don’t see eye-to-eye with Barnett all the time, but I respect him as a fighter – that was the fight for me that I went, ‘Yeah, this guy’s real.’”

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter, free email updates
Tagged:

Comments

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,285Free
    if he tries to cut to 205 he'll destroy his kidneys
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,021Free
    DC is coming for you Bonesy.
  • chanman20chanman20 Posts: 4,843Free
    jones would destroy him...
    “But in the end, the most important thing to accept, is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too."

Chael Sonnen will make Jon Jones look like the can that he is when he becomes the LHW Champion.

Frank Mir
    Bj Penn
    Nate Daiz
  • Ross72Ross72 Posts: 14Free
    It was my first time watching Cormier and I wasn't truly impressed. I understood the strategy but as a former wrestler there wasn't one attempt to take Mir down. That tells me he either respected Mir's JuJitsu or feared it. Overall his strategy made for a boring fight. I don't think that strategy will work on the other heaveyweights.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,755Free
    Cormier beat the **** out of Mir's midsection
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • Ross72Ross72 Posts: 14Free
    Oh definitely, once he had him cornered he threw him a beating. I guess i was expecting more from all the hype he had coming in.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free

jduk said:

Or destroy LHWs.
    or wall and stall LHWs

who knows?
    I know.

He fought smart. He used his wrestling to neutralize Mirs greatest strength, BJJ, and didn't let him get much of anything off in the stand up either. While against the cage he worked Mirs body and threw some big shots at his head, just didnt really connect.

When viewed against the rest of the card, all those crazy KOs, it was boring, but I appreciated the utter dominance on display against a bigger heavier and very dangerous opponent.

I can give DC one pass considering he's coming off a GREAT fight against Barnett and he was making his UFC debut against arguably the best HW BJJ fighter in the world.

!!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,963Free
    Suck's **** from a fan's point of view

jduk said:

Or destroy LHWs.
    or wall and stall LHWs

who knows?
    I know.

He fought smart. He used his wrestling to neutralize Mirs greatest strength.
    that's my point. he might keep fighting smart, using his wrestling to neutralize his opponents' strength.
    Because his wrestling is so good thats a possibility but I look at the action in the context of who he's fighting. I think if DC had virtually anyone else but the BJJ whizz Frank Mir against the cage he would have dumped them with the ferocity of the Barnett slam and attempted some GnP that was as hard as some of those standing punches he threw at Mir.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm pumped to find out who he gets matched up with next, potentially a LHW.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• WalkLikeAWarrior707WalkLikeAWarrior707 Posts: 6,005Free
    Kinda disappointed he fought smart cause I wanted to see Cormier finish Mir but he did what he had to do. I think he could have finished Mir with strikes if he back away from the cage and started throwing bombs but again he fought smart against a dangerous opponent and did what he had to do to get his first UFC win.
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Safe is a vague term,i feel he fought to make sure he did not gas out.He could have easily stood there and traded and prolly get the KO,but why.
    All he had to do was prove how over rated Mir is,he beat a guy 30 lbs heavier and on the feet,
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,265Free
    I don't think he fought safe. He fought.....not stupid.

Safe would be like George....Shuffle around outside, pitter patter, takedown, hold, pitter patter, hold, don't improve position for fear of reversal, hold, look at clock, rinse & repeat round after round.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,839Free
    edited April 2013
    those kicks really threw cormier off, if jones fights long uses his kicks i can see cormier loosing. jones is a better wrestler than mir
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free

jduk said:

Or destroy LHWs.
    or wall and stall LHWs

who knows?
    I know.

He fought smart. He used his wrestling to neutralize Mirs greatest strength, BJJ, and didn't let him get much of anything off in the stand up either. While against the cage he worked Mirs body and threw some big shots at his head, just didnt really connect.

When viewed against the rest of the card, all those crazy KOs, it was boring, but I appreciated the utter dominance on display against a bigger heavier and very dangerous opponent.

I can give DC one pass considering he's coming off a GREAT fight against Barnett and he was making his UFC debut against arguably the best HW BJJ fighter in the world.

Compared to JDS, Brock, or Carwin, Cormier didn't do much. He looks like a good heavyweight, but not champion caliber.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,640Free
    jduk said:

I think he can make the cut, but obviously he'll have to be careful considering his well-documented past with renal failure. If I remember correctly, he had to cut a ton of weight not too long before the actual wrestling match, as opposed to the roughly 24 hour window of MMA. He seems (at least from my couch potato vantage point) to have a higher degree of body fat than the average fighter, so perhaps he could get most of the weight off through traditional diet & exercise. A good program with a nutritionist/dietician could get him most of the way there and make his actual cut much smaller. Some LHW's cut all the way from 230-240lbs, but Cormier wouldn't have to be one of them. He could get down to 215lbs or so, then slowly cut the ten pounds the few days prior to the weigh in.
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Boring or not I was impressed with DC's ability to control Mir. Mir is 4 inches taller and 20+lbs bigger. I wanted him to ktfo Mir though. Atleast he lost....and Diaz!!!!

• RelentlessRampageRelentlessRampage Posts: 419Free
    If you haven't watched his fights b4 you can just go on youtube and watch his two best fights (Barnett and Big Head Sliva)

jduk said:

Or destroy LHWs.
    or wall and stall LHWs

who knows?
    I know.

Compared to JDS, Brock, or Carwin, Cormier didn't do much. He looks like a good heavyweight, but not champion caliber.
    Yeah he's definitely a bit small for HW, and a bit light even with that little bit of extra belly fat.

If he can cut without killing himself I can see him ragdolling 90%, if not all, of the LHWs based on how easily he controlled the bigger/heavier Mir.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    He was able to control Mir because Mir has poor wrestling and Cormier has elite level wrestling, it's has always been Mir's biggest flaw.

He was able to control Mir because Mir has poor wrestling and Cormier has elite level wrestling, it's has always been Mir's biggest flaw.

I still think even if he faces a very good wrestler like JBJ who might be at or near the same level in technique, he would have his way based on his ridiculous strength. Although we'll just have to see how his weight cut goes.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

Gabri1985 said:

I still think even if he faces a very good wrestler like JBJ who might be at or near the same level in technique, he would have his way based on his ridiculous strength. Although we'll just have to see how his weight cut goes.
    what i was saying was aimed at those who were shocked he could control a guy of mir's size against the cage.

Gabri1985 said:

what i was saying was aimed at those who were shocked he could control a guy of mir's size against the cage.
    I see sir.

The only guy I can really see giving DC problems in the grappling department is Cain. Everyone else he either outmuscles or beats with better technique.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    Cormier admitted to nerves getting to him and gassing during that fight because of that. He will look better once he gets comfortable.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    I don't like Mir and I am glad that he lost but he was funny during that fight,

(ref is toweling him off)
    Mir: Why are you doing this?
    Ref: Because you are wet
    Mir: It's because he is sweaty.

(Cormier throws that jumping spin kick)
    Mir gives him a look like “hmm, that was impressive that you can even do that”
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

Gabri1985 said:

Gabri1985 said:

I see sir.

The only guy I can really see giving DC problems in the grappling department is Cain. Everyone else he either outmuscles or beats with better technique.
    I would love to see him and Carwin fight.

I don't think he fought safe. He fought.....not stupid.

Safe would be like George....Shuffle around outside, pitter patter, takedown, hold, pitter patter, hold, don't improve position for fear of reversal, hold, look at clock, rinse & repeat round after round.

Cormier did nothing to improve his position, he just wall and stalled for more than half of the fight. I thought GSP's last few fights were more exciting than this one, and that's not very exciting. If Cormier fought Cain, he'd get destroyed by Cain based on last night's performance. If he drops to 205, Jones will beat him easily.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,839Free
    edited April 2013
    he landed a few good shots, had mir hurt on numerous occasions, i felt like if he had opened up a little more against the fence he could have finished mir. But he certainly played it safe to a degree. He didnt take many risks and won convincingly
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• YerboYerbo Posts: 2,515Free
    jduk said:

By losing 30 lbs of fat?