Dana White: I had Benson winning

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Benson Henderson (19-2) tied the UFC record for lightweight title defenses with a split decision win over Gilbert Melendez (21-3) last night at UFC on Fox 7. Some have branded the decision ‘controversial,’ adopting the extremely familiar ’1, 2, 5′ mantra. While it was a busy, exciting main event, neither man looked like finishing the fight. UFC president Dana White, who had Henderson winning rounds two, three and four, thinks Melendez should have gone for broke in the final minutes. See the full post-fight press scrum here.

“That second round, it depends on where you went on the second round … I gave the second round to Ben, but I could see the argument the other way, too. It was one of those close rounds. Literally, going into the third round I said, ‘This fight’s going to be controversial, this fight’s going to be controversial.’ Because I gave the second round to Ben – I had it one and one going into the third round and I’m like, ‘Here we go again.’ … At the end of that fifth round, nobody was really dogging it out, going to war, like, ‘I want to win the this thing.’ Maybe if Gilbert would have ran after him and put it to him in the last round, maybe that other judge would have given him the last round. Anytime you let it go to a decision, don’t sit around and cry about it.”

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter, free email updates
Tagged:

Comments