Sonnen: Jones is better than Silva and it’s not even close

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
Chael Sonnen (27-12) thinks 25-year-old UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (17-1) is already a better fighter than MMA legend Anderson Silva (33-4). “The American Gangster” was typically extravagant when asked to compare the two champions on today’s UFC 159 conference call. Sonnen clashed with Silva twice, giving the Brazilian his biggest scare in the UFC back in August, 2010 and losing last year’s rematch via second-round TKO. Listen to the full call here.

“Here’s the reality with Anderson - I stomped that guy. And you can pick up his little arm as many times as you want and call him the winner, but the fact is, I whipped his **** for 30 minutes, he got the jump on me for less than 30 seconds. He never knocked me down, I fell down. They say Anderson’s the best pound-for-pound, he’s not the best round-for-round. I have three 10-8 rounds in my entire career, I’ve fought 49 men. Three rounds of my whole life are 10-8 – that’s the gymanstics equivalent to a perfect 10 – it doesn’t happen in this sport, I doubt anyone on this call even has a 10-8 round. I’ve got three of them – they’re all against Anderson Silva. If you think Jon and Anderson are even close, I will run through Jon because I ran through Anderson. Now, I don’t think they’re close, I think Jon is considerably better than Anderson. But sometimes I hear that I don’t deserve this fight or that I’m not the right guy, but then I hear that Anderson could beat him. Well, you’ve got to be kidding me, I stomped Anderson Silva – twice.”

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter, free email updates
Tagged:

Comments

• rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,996Free
    Sonnen LHW Champ 2013

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• alhowzer87alhowzer87 Posts: 37Ultimate
    I do think if it was a pure striking match then anderson would wipe the floor with jones but I honestly think that jones would get anderson to the ground with ease and finish him with elbows.what do you reckon?
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,619Free
    Jones would beat Silva but not due to skill as much as it is his size and strength. P4P Anderson is the greatest
  • MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,124Free
    edited April 2013
    Sonnen is obviously just hyping Jones up so that it won't be too embarrassing when he gets demolished.
    Post edited by MGun on
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    truth

if sonnen hadnt tapped he would have gone unconcious and then silva could have punched and kicked sonnens head until he was nothing but a lifeless corpse.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    He's just trying to build Jones up so when he gets stomped everyone had already expected it. Jones and Silva aren't even close in comparison. Jones just outsizes all his opponents. In a way it sounds like he's promoting MMAth....good God the bandwagon of new fans are going to be retarded.

With that said, I really hope that Sonnen pulls this off.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    MilesGun said:

Sonnen is obviously just hyping Jones up so that it won't be too embarrassing when he gets demolished.

Troof. He gunna get smashed.

• skullboneskullbone Posts: 1,955Free
    I think he's buttering Jon up so maybe he hesitates due to his newfound bro love for the super cool in real life Chael Sonnen. As usual, brilliant.
  • megamanmegaman Posts: 5,281Free
    I love how after this fight he already has two other instant money making trash talk battles to choose from with either Feetor or Wandy.

He's a genius, too bad that brain's going to get bruised come this saturday.

• jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    by Sonnen's logic doesn't that mean he's going to get KTFO?
  • AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,836Free
    Chael is pathetic.

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• Madvillain8Madvillain8 Posts: 887Free
    Lol I think Chael just used MMA math.
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    I'm not sure if this is the 1st, but this definitely one time I agree with Sonnen

Anderson has presence, striking, and a solid/clutch ground game
    Jones has presence, striking, a solid ground game, a wrestling game, and length

I hate to admit this but it's a fact - Sonnen got the better of Anderson for a significantly greater proportion of his fights with Anderson using a skill set that Jones implents to a tee. Most guys beat themselves before they even fight Anderson. Jones has shown that he can handle pressure. Jones also hasn't shown a clear cut weakness. Belfort caught an armbar, but I don't see that as much of a kryptonite as Anderson has with wrestlers who can impose their style on him.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    What If Jones beats him for 4 rounds and he gets a triangle on the 5th round ? What is Sonnen gonna say then ?
    ... even Sonnen said "Anderson is a TRUE CHAMPION" ...
  • Oh_NoOh_No Posts: 114Free
    Jones is not a great wrestler like Sonnen, he only gets the fight to the ground from the clinch, so the fight would be standing and Silva would have his way with Jones.
    Oh_No said:

Jones is not a great wrestler like Sonnen, he only gets the fight to the ground from the clinch, so the fight would be standing and Silva would have his way with Jones.

Good point here ^
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,619Free
    Oh_No said:

What's stopping Jones using his reach and strength to grab Silva and rag dolling him? Nothing. Jones is just too big for Silva
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Jones would grab hold of Silva and ragdoll him to the floor where he would brutalise him.

Oh_No said:

What's stopping Jones using his reach and strength to grab Silva and rag dolling him? Nothing. Jones is just too big for Silva
    Alot of people thought Silva was going to have troubles in the clinch with Bonnar and how big he was compared to him and look what happened there..
    I don't think I trust anyone who thought Bonnar was going to do anything to Silva. Jones is the greatest LHW of all time and Bonnar is the guy who lost to Forrest 8 years ago
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    I thought Bonnar would hand around for longer than he did, but I never gave him a chance to win
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Jones is just to big for Silva, His ground and pound is nasty aswel, if he landed as many clean shots on the ground as Sonnen did then Silva would be smashed up.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free

Oh_No said:

Alot of people thought Silva was going to have troubles in the clinch with Bonnar and how big he was compared to him and look what happened there..
    I don't think I trust anyone who thought Bonnar was going to do anything to Silva. Jones is the greatest LHW of all time and Bonnar is the guy who lost to Forrest 8 years ago
    well jones didnt do all that much to bonnar in their fight
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,243Free
    There are a few girls (and guys) at Jiu Jitsu that are technically better than me at Jiu Jitsu. Can I out muscle some of them? yes. Silva is technically better but Jones will use his size and athletic ability to beat him. Silva can definitely beat him like Lyoto could have if he caught him, but 9 out of 10 times, Jones wins.
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free

Chael Sonnen (27-12) thinks 25-year-old UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (17-1) is already a better fighter than MMA legend Anderson Silva (33-4). “The American Gangster” was typically extravagant when asked to compare the two champions on today’s UFC 159 conference call. Sonnen clashed with Silva twice, giving the Brazilian his biggest scare in the UFC back in August, 2010 and losing last year’s rematch via second-round TKO. Listen to the full call here.

“Here’s the reality with Anderson - I stomped that guy. And you can pick up his little arm as many times as you want and call him the winner, but the fact is, I whipped his **** for 30 minutes, he got the jump on me for less than 30 seconds. He never knocked me down, I fell down. They say Anderson’s the best pound-for-pound, he’s not the best round-for-round. I have three 10-8 rounds in my entire career, I’ve fought 49 men. Three rounds of my whole life are 10-8 – that’s the gymanstics equivalent to a perfect 10 – it doesn’t happen in this sport, I doubt anyone on this call even has a 10-8 round. I’ve got three of them – they’re all against Anderson Silva. If you think Jon and Anderson are even close, I will run through Jon because I ran through Anderson. Now, I don’t think they’re close, I think Jon is considerably better than Anderson. But sometimes I hear that I don’t deserve this fight or that I’m not the right guy, but then I hear that Anderson could beat him. Well, you’ve got to be kidding me, I stomped Anderson Silva – twice.”

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter, free email updates

A scorecard doesn't matter when you lost. The point is to win or lose.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • PabloskyPablosky Posts: 675Free
    jones better than silva means chael its going to be demolished (AGAIN) LOL!!!
    thanks god im less stupid now!

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free
    Can't wait till AS shut's Johnny 'can' Jones mouth