Jon Jones talks about his haters

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (17-1) has accomplished more than most 25-year-olds will accomplish in their lifetimes. However, as the champ’s success has grown, so has his heaving mass of haters, chipping and tweeting away at his public image. Jones figures he has riled some of MMA’s most loyal fanbases with consecutive wins over, Shogun Rua, Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort. But as he said on today’s UFC 159 conference call, the haters don’t bother him – and they always eat their words. See the full call here.

“I’m the new guy, so of course people want to see the new guy lose to the guy’s they’ve been loving for years. When I beat people’s heroes, back-to-back-to-back, I don’t think it sits very well … I’m comfortable with it. When I come home to a beautiful house and my family being happy, it makes it all worth it. So, people can hate me as much as they want, my family’s happy, I have the best job in the world and they’re watching the fights. And they’re like free advertisements; they talk about me all day, they can’t stop tweeting me or thinking about me, so it’s like free advertisements for me … I try to focus on the people who love me, but sometimes I find myself skimming through my Twitter, just to see who’s hating on me for that day. It motivates me, it definitely motivates me. It’s funny, because I get harrassed every fight and then, after the fight, all those guys go away, they eat all their words.”

From MMA Lives Here - Facebook, Twitter, free email updates
Tagged:

Comments

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    He boils it down to "beating peoples heroes". I'm sorry, Hamill, The Janitor, Vitor, and Bader aren't anyones heroes. Machida, Rashad, and Rampage have been beaten by other fighters. More respectful fighters. People don't like Jones because of statements just like this. Anyone remember his "apology" after being caught driving drunk with cheap floozies?
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,310Free
    edited April 2013

He boils it down to "beating peoples heroes". I'm sorry, Hamill, The Janitor, Vitor, and Bader aren't anyones heroes. Machida, Rashad, and Rampage have been beaten by other fighters. More respectful fighters. People don't like Jones because of statements just like this. Anyone remember his "apology" after being caught driving drunk with cheap floozies?

Underage cheap floozies. LoL
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    He loves his haters.

"Man I haven't added anyone new to my Facebook page in like three years and right now I'm so glad that I haven't. It has literally been sickening to have so many people try to kick me while I'm down. At the same time, I totally understand, I gave them the leeway to. I screwed up, big time. Just needed to say thank you to all you guys for being amazing friends/supporters.

Always having to deal with so many critics, haters and fickle mma fans, I almost forgot how strong of a home base I had (607 and people that knew me before I was a champion fighter). Although the hell that will come with this hasn't even started yet, I want you guys to know how much better you've all made me feel, not only about this situation but about life, everything. It's good to feel that people are there and care. With that being said, I felt I should apologize to you first.

I'm truly sorry to those of you that I may have embarrassed in any way, to those of you with kids that I may have let down. I will prove to them as well as to myself, that no matter what is happening in life, we can always work our way back and make things even better than before. Reading you guys uplifting comments was a great reminder for me to not give up on who I am or all the hateful people. I'm not gonna allow this situation to outweigh the positive. I love you guys right back and I promise to make things right.

PS sorry about the terrible grammar :)"
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free

the hatred about Jon Jones has nothing to do with him being new nor beating heroes

Spot on.

He somehow has the deluded misconception that its his success that people hate.

more power to him for what he has achieved in the sport, I enjoy watching him fight.

But then he spouts off like the OP/interview. Jones almost seems scripted sometimes with what he says to the media but occasionally we get a glimpse of that arrogant 'spoiled brat " mentality- I think this is where the fake vibe comes from

Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • Built2DestroyBuilt2Destroy Posts: 288Free
    Jones seems a little full of himself if you ask me.
    Norwegian guy here, so excuse my English
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Right on Jones

End of the day its about the big picture not the little stuff
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Jon Jones has got to be the most arrogant, entitled, little **** that the UFC has witnessed. Each time he opens his mouth it is a PR nightmare. This guy is losing fans by the minute at this rate.

And it has nothing to do with heroes you prick. What will you say the next time you wrap your car around a telephone pole?
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free

read: I'm an arrogant, entitled, social retard who doesn't know how to interact with or treat people but I'm so grandiose that I don't see anything wrong with it.

+1 for using the word grandiose
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,245Free
    Am I the only one who thinks haters are pathetic?
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Jones happens to be champion and is in the limelight more than others. If everyone in the world saw what all celebrities were really like, people would be in denial of some of their favorite celebrities.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Making Shogun and Rampage look like amateurs, chocking Machida out and having no problems getting a UD against Evans will accumalate too much haters (too much butt hurt) against you, period.
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free

read: I'm an arrogant, entitled, social retard who doesn't know how to interact with or treat people but I'm so grandiose that I don't see anything wrong with it.

well said B-)

I just don't understand how one can harp on something about one fighter (no matter how trivial, or petty)

but support another fighter who about the same thing they harp on if not more..

lol, Jones never claimed he was perfect or acted towards it
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
  • jayzeejayzee Posts: 2,019Free
    By hating on him so much your just promoting him. Jon Jones is right about this.

• TheHarbingerTheHarbinger Posts: 6,779Free
    I used to hate on Jones, but I've come to like him.

I had to place myself in his shoes. To be a young, seemingly unstoppable killer always in the limelight, I think that would inflate anybody's head.

I try not to hold it against him.

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    I've never seen so much hatred for a fighter that has nothing to do with his fights.
    Bet Record: 2-3
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Any publicity--good or bad is good publicity.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

I've never seen so much hatred for a fighter that has nothing to do with his fights.

The thing that gets me is it's almost like the haterz are forcing themselves to dislike Jon

Everything I've read about Jon from an obvious anti-fan is just.. unexplainable, like..

How in the world does Jon make you think that he's all these names and insults anit-fans generally post about him

Megumi Fuji

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Keem said:

I just don't understand how one can harp on something about one fighter (no matter how trivial, or petty)

spoken like a tru **** B-)

Keem said:

spoken like a tru **** B-)
    " **** "?

Megumi Fuji

• GalvanikGalvanik Posts: 1,004Free
    Here's the thing:

There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, Jon Jones could do that would make his haters go away. He could donate his entire purse at 159 to cancer research and personally save a bus full of kindergardeners from a fire and people would still find reasons to hate him. All he can do is accept that haters will hate and try to use that to his benefit, use them to make him better.
    Bet Record: 2-3
    Galvanik said:

Here's the thing:

There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, Jon Jones could do that would make his haters go away. He could donate his entire purse at 159 to cancer research and personally save a bus full of kindergardeners from a fire and people would still find reasons to hate him. All he can do is accept that haters will hate and try to use that to his benefit, use them to make him better.

Pretty much.. in all honesty

I even think stopping that mugger from stealing that woman's purse pre-Shogun fight is irrelevant, or waiting to get debrided if brought up in the vacinity of a Jones depreciation gathering

Megumi Fuji

• CiGaNo#87CiGaNo#87 Posts: 127Free
    People might hate him because he beats everybody they put in front of hm. If that guy would be silva, he would beat silva too.
    HW: JDS, Pat Barry
    LHW: The Mauler, Glover Teixeira
    MW: Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen
    WW: Rory Mcdonald, Gunnar Nelson
    LW: Cowboy Cerrone, The Eagle Nurgagomedov
    FW: Cub Swanson, Korean Zombie
    BW: Michael Macdonald, Renan Barao
    FLW: Ian Mccall
    WBW: Ronda Rousey('cause she's really hot)

Kyokushinkai old school.