Kickboxing
Muay Thai
Taekwondo
Boxing

less common but still effective:
Kung fu
Sumo wrestling
Sambo wrestling

If you have to choose just two of these disciplines which one would you choose and why?
If you have to choose three of these what would be your picks and why?

So how do you mix the mixed martial arts to make a champion?
Please Discuss.
Post edited by KOOKORK on
It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
Tagged:

Comments

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    No specific combo is better than any other. Depends on how the fighter uses what he has. Personally I do Japanese Ju Jutsu, Greco Roman, and Boxing. I spar with a muay thai and Sanshou guy in my gym constantly to make sure I have kick defense but I don't actually train kickboxing or muay thai at all.

• KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 778Free
    I respectfully disagree. There are some combos which mix this art better than others. Of course it depends on the individual but generally some of these combos make a better outcome than the others.
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    For me its BJJ first...then Muay Thai...and lastly Judo

I have never had a good shot....but trips are legit

It largely depends on the fighter on the natural gifts he is given,his body build,and his mental attitude

I'm short 5' 8 1/2 and stock...think Pat Barry...not really a fast guy but endless Cardio...so I'm better build as a grappler but i take my Muay Thai serious

The holy trinity is thought to be Muay Thai as the striking art, Wrestling as the Grappling control art, and BJJ as the sub/sweep art
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • PabloskyPablosky Posts: 674Free
    edited April 2013
    kickbocking + BJJ = killing machine
    Post edited by Pablosky on
    thanks god im less stupid now!

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,240Free
    98% Wrestling
    1% Striking
    0.1% BJJ
    0.9% other
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • PabloskyPablosky Posts: 674Free

98% Wrestling
    1% Striking
    0.1% BJJ
    0.9% other

gsp's favorite drink

thanks god im less stupid now!

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    No Thai boxing ? ?

Kickboxing and Judo
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    Sambo, JJ, Boxing

Best combo ever

No particular order
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

Sambo, JJ, Boxing

Best combo ever

No particular order

I know Fedor and Alexander and recently Khabilov with Sambo back ground. They have been successful so far. any other ?

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    KOOKORK said:

There are so many different disciplines in MMA some of them including:

Common disciplines:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    wrestling
    Judo
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Taekwondo
    Boxing

Kung fu
    Sumo wrestling
    Samba wrestling

If you have to choose just two of these disciplines which one would you choose and why?

Please Discuss.

Ironic that you listed the discipline that produces the most knockouts, boxing, last. Boxing is the most efficient way to knockout your opponent, and wrestling has been proven to be the best way to control your opponent and avoid submissions.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • MetatronBJJMetatronBJJ Posts: 1,243Free
    For MMA, I'd have to go with 10th planet JJ (perfect hybrid of all types of grappling) and Muay Thai. In real life.... I wear my gi all day, every day ****
    I don't want to knock him out. I want to hurt him. If I knock him down, I'll stand back, give him a chance to breathe. It's his heart I want. - Smokin Joe Frazier
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    edited April 2013

KOOKORK said:

Common disciplines:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    wrestling
    Judo
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Taekwondo
    Boxing

Kung fu
    Sumo wrestling
    Samba wrestling

Please Discuss.

Ironic that you listed the discipline that produces the most knockouts, boxing, last. Boxing is the most efficient way to knockout your opponent, and wrestling has been proven to be the best way to control your opponent and avoid submissions.
    ^
    Ohh, Laaawd..

lol
    Post edited by Keem on
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
    KOOKORK said:

WarWest said:

Sambo, JJ, Boxing

Best combo ever

No particular order

I know Fedor and Alexander and recently Khabilov with Sambo back ground. They have been successful so far. any other ?

Papy Abedi
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,161Free
    I would like to use that quote that said "Its not the Art, its the Artist" but in saying so. Muay Thai/BJJ
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    While I don't fight for real, I have sparred with some friends and I use wrestling and BJJ. BUT! That is only cause we don't allow striking on the feet haha. One of my friends is 6'4 210 lbs and the rest of us are around 135-150 so it would be really unfair for us.

If I had to choose a third it would be a striking discipline and it would be boxing. If you can be extremely disciplined with your hands, head movement, and footwork, I think you have given yourself a chance to win every fight that stays on the feet
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free

KOOKORK said:

Common disciplines:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    wrestling
    Judo
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Taekwondo
    Boxing

Kung fu
    Sumo wrestling
    Samba wrestling

Please Discuss.

Couldn't agree more
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,048Premium
    100% lift
    2013 predictions league champion
    Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
    Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
    Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    edited April 2013
    OP you missed off technical brawling the martial art matt brown created. [-(

seriously though i would choose

sambo and muai thai

sambo covers grappling and submissions in 1, including takedowns and muai thai offers the most effective form of striking., this way you would have all bases covered like khabib . choosing any other 2 martial arts and you would have a hole somewhere

it could be argued that there are more KOs in muai thai than boxing.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

KOOKORK said:

Common disciplines:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    wrestling
    Judo
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Taekwondo
    Boxing

Kung fu
    Sumo wrestling
    Samba wrestling

Please Discuss.

There is no first or last in my list . It is just a list. funny you mentioned Boxing since for writing the op I referred to Wikipedia on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts
    and if you go there under Common Disciplines there is no mentioning of Boxing( Ironic ha?) but I added Boxing because it is one of the most important aspects of MMA. Although Muay Thai and Kickboxing and to a degree Karate utilizes the boxing also.
    PunchBag said:

sambo and muai thai

sambo covers grappling and submissions in 1, including takedowns and muai thai offers the most effective form of striking., this way you would have all bases covered like khabib . choosing any other 2 martial arts and you would have a hole somewhere

I did not choose any combo or discipline over another in my OP. None what so ever.

Personally I will choose Sambo and Muay Thai if I choose two and add boxing if it is three.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    with 3 i think you have a few good choices

sambo, boxing and muay thai

or

bjj, wrestling, and muay thai
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• NeckCrankNeckCrank Posts: 821Free
    cheeseburger. oh you said two...... make it a double cheeseburger
    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

• najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free

KOOKORK said:

Common disciplines:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    wrestling
    Judo
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Taekwondo
    Boxing

Kung fu
    Sumo wrestling
    Samba wrestling

Please Discuss.

Ironic that you listed the discipline that produces the most knockouts, boxing, last. Boxing is the most efficient way to knockout your opponent,
    LOL.
    How do you know that when a guy KO'd his opponent with a punch, it was precisely and/or just boxing training that made that punch and not kick-boxing or muay thai???

For all we know, it is the latter two that prepare you better for the whole process of succeeding with a KO in MMA, because of how they teach you to setup your stance against your opponent, against your opponent's punches and kicks etc. in an MMA fight context.

The boxing stance is already one significant element that does not work in MMA and is totally wrong. If a fighter was able to land a KO after e.g. stuffing a kick, you know it's been either kick-boxing or muay thai that taught him how to respond to that and counter successfully and to set-up an attack yourself in the first place, and then punch - or kick - accordingly.

Kick-boxing and muay thai ARE the two most efficient ways to KO your opponent.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    PunchBag said:

sambo and muai thai

Isn't Sambo really a combination of several different disciplines, just like MMA is?
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • DarksjeikDarksjeik Posts: 2,245Free
    I mix my jogging with watching UFC

• ColdWorkKenColdWorkKen Posts: 1,566Free
    Gotta go with Muay Thai and BJJ the 3rd would be wrestling because in MMA you have to be able to stop L&P artists

Gotta go with Muay Thai and BJJ the 3rd would be wrestling because in MMA you have to be able to stop L&P artists

who's that on your sig?
    Matt Brown

• JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
  • Beloved89Beloved89 Posts: 215Free
    BJJ and Boxing, I think, is an awesome combo personally b/c they are my favorite disciplines to do and watch. If you can KO someone cold AND break their limbs...dayum.
    WAR CIGANO!!

Cain is far superior to Big Foot, and so is Spartacus_ to me. I should not bet against the undefeated GOAT poster.