Mitrione to Jones: "Fight me at heavyweight, coward!"

AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1619201-ufc-matt-mitrione-slams-spoiled-jon-jones-fight-me-at-heavyweight-coward

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so pardon me if you've all seen this already.

I think this is really interesting. Assuming Jones gets past Chael and Cormier and Mitrione puts a small streak together, this could be the perfect introduction to heavyweight for Jones. It seems really plausible at this point. The UFC marketing machine would have a field day with this grudge match, and it wouldn't be hard to sell.

What are your thoughts?
Boston threw me a god damn beating. DOOMGOAT REIGNS SUPREME
Tagged:

Comments

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free
    I don't care about this to be honest.
    it's just nonsense
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    I see why Jones would start "slow" at HW however, Mitrione would be a easy fight for Jones at HW (almost like all Andersons fights at LHW were), sorry.

Of course Jones doesnt have to fight JDS but Mitrione ? Really ?
  • KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 776Free
    I like to see this fight happening but I won't call someone coward if he does not come to heavier division to fight me. especially when the weight difference is 205 to 265.
    It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
    KOOKORK said:

I like to see this fight happening but I won't call someone coward if he does not come to heavier division to fight me. especially when the weight difference is 205 to 265.

Maybe what Mitrione meant was like "YOU ARE TOO BIG FOR THE LHWs GUYS" .. dont you think maybe that was it ?
  • AmerimanAmeriman Posts: 2,068Free
    edited April 2013
    I don't think that Jones fighting Mitrione in his heavyweight debut - assuming Mitrione has a small streak going - would be very different from Silva
    fighting James Irvin in his lightheavyweight debut. James Irvin was a dangerous guy at 205, but he was never a legitimate contender. Mitrione seems to be the same caliber of fighter as Irvin was when Silva fought him.
    Post edited by Ameriman on
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Mitrione is trying the Chael thing to make people forget about the Fallon Fox incident and put him in the limelight using Jon Jones's name/fame. He'll pay for it...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Well, when someone insults you as a man, isn't your first response one of anger and, quite probably, aggression? I imagine that response is doubly aggressive in the sport of MMA where fighting is your business. Obviously, Mitrione is upset that Jones called him out. I don't think he's trying to call attention to himself the way Chael does. I think he's sincerely angry, and he's smartly seizing a good opportunity.
  • KOOKORKKOOKORK Posts: 776Free

KOOKORK said:

Maybe what Mitrione meant was like "YOU ARE TOO BIG FOR THE LHWs GUYS" .. dont you think maybe that was it ?
    Why Mitrione does not say this as clear as you said. He has no language barrier and he is not shy to express himself.

It is not about win or lose, it is about heart. Leave all you have in the Octagon and you are a winner in my book.
    JDS, Machida,Sam stout,Bermudez, Dustin Kimura,Roger Huerta
    Well, also lets not forget Mitrione is so happy about the possibility of this fight happening = $$$
  • ipso_factoipso_facto Posts: 1,023Free
    With Mitrione being one of the lighter HW's, would be a good match-up. Matt's got a hard head and good hands, but I think it would be target practice for Jones. ...though it'd be pretty sweet Matt ko'd him.
    Favorites:

HW - M. Mitrione, C. Velasquez

LHW - K. Soszynski, A. Johnson

MW - B. Stann, T. Credeur

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,571Free

Well, also lets not forget Mitrione is so happy about the possibility of this fight happening = $$$

Matt would get the same amount of money as he usually does, they're contracted.
  • GstarUkGstarUk Posts: 7,194Free
    Jones wont fight a low level hw.
  • NyteRyderNyteRyder Posts: 9,415Free
    Jones would destroy him.
    Let Jones fight a top 10 HW then fight for the belt.
    2013 Predictions League: 231-142
    Forum Etiquette Guide
    The Questions Thread
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free

They generally get PPV rates though, and a fight with Jones would bring big bucks
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • CiGaNo#87CiGaNo#87 Posts: 127Free
    I think that matt can ko jones actually. make it happen at HW dana!
    HW: JDS, Pat Barry
    LHW: The Mauler, Glover Teixeira
    MW: Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen
    WW: Rory Mcdonald, Gunnar Nelson
    LW: Cowboy Cerrone, The Eagle Nurgagomedov
    FW: Cub Swanson, Korean Zombie
    BW: Michael Macdonald, Renan Barao
    FLW: Ian Mccall
    WBW: Ronda Rousey('cause she's really hot)

Kyokushinkai old school.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,571Free
    Mangasm said:

They generally get PPV rates though, and a fight with Jones would bring big bucks
    I'd be surprised if Matt gets a PPV cut, if he does it would be really insignificant. Heck, he's probably still on a TUF or TUF-like contract
    Just remember what Dana said....if Aldo wanted to move up to LW, he'd automatically be number one contender.....why would it be different with Jones?

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    why even fight mitrione...? i dont get it hes the current LHW champ...Pettis goes down gets a shot...Edgar goes down gets a shot...Jones gets up which is easier than going down a division gets a 6-2 matt mitrione... nonsene...Top 10 HW is the lowest i would pay to see!!!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,819Free
    He won't get the fight.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,863Free
    Mitrione's actually a pretty good fighter, i don't see Jones destroying him like you all make out
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,218Free
    Meathead wouldn't beat RamGOAT

Got dropped by Kimbo

His chances against Jones are slim
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    I think Mitrione would KO Jones rather easily, actually. He'd be a huge threat... You people are delusional if you think Jones is actually that good. There's no way Jones will ever compete with heavyweights like Cain or Dos Santos, and that's why Dana has been hesitant to let him move up. I don't even think Jones could compete with the Hunts or Nelsons of the division. Imagine what Shane Carwin would do to him... I mean, I know there are heavyweights Jones could beat, but there's no way Jones beats a top ten heavyweight, imo.
    PATSTER said:

Mitrione calls out guys a weight division lower than him and calls him the coward.

lol

Whereas Jones skips calling them out and competes in a division full of people smaller than him. Jones hasn't fought an actual 205er in about a year. His last two defenses have been against middleweights. Most people think that Machida's natural weight class is middleweight too, so your argument is invalid. Mitrione is calling out a natural heavyweight who is too afraid to compete at heavyweight.
    Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

Mitrione calls out guys a weight division lower than him and calls him the coward.

lol

Whereas Jones skips calling them out and competes in a division full of people smaller than him. Jones hasn't fought an actual 205er in about a year. His last two defenses have been against middleweights. Most people think that Machida's natural weight class is middleweight too, so your argument is invalid. Mitrione is calling out a natural heavyweight who is too afraid to compete at heavyweight.
    For the 6,739th time....

PLEASE....begging SOMEONE to find me an article where FIGHTERS, not fans, complain about Jones's size.

Such an old argument. Yet at HW, where he still has a size and reach advantage, he would fail? lol

Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

lol

First you say he can't compete at HW but now you say he's in a division with people "smaller than him."

Right.
    The two aren't mutually incompatible statements... He's an overrated fighter who, if he competed against opponents his own size, would get owned.
    Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

lol

First you say he can't compete at HW but now you say he's in a division with people "smaller than him."

Right.
    The two aren't mutually incompatible statements... He's an overrated fighter who, if he competed against opponents his own size, would get owned.
    Kind of like when Struve was so big and destroyed the much smaller Roy Nelson? Oh wait....

Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

lol

For the 6,739th time....

PLEASE....begging SOMEONE to find me an article where FIGHTERS, not fans, complain about Jones's size.

Such an old argument. Yet at HW, where he still has a size and reach advantage, he would fail? lol
    That's a logical fallacy. If a rape victim were suffering from Stockhold Syndrome and didn't think she were a victim, would that make the rape any less criminal? No.

All I'm saying is that the fact that no one has complained says nothing about whether or not what Jones is doing is fair. Maybe fighters don't want to complain because they have egos twice as big as the average man's. Maybe Dana White has had some choice words for the division. You know that argument doesn't have any force.
    Post edited by Ameriman on

Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

Ameriman said:

PATSTER said:

lol

Right.
    Kind of like when Struve was so big and destroyed the much smaller Roy Nelson? Oh wait....
    What does Stefan Struve have to do with anything? Struve sucks balls... Besides, we're not just talking about height. You fail to see all of the other factors. At heavyweight, everything is different.