Weidman: I’m a nightmare match-up for Silva

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited April 2013 in UFC
Chris Weidman (9-0) campaigned long and hard for a UFC middleweight title shot against Anderson Silva (33-4). The New York native has been ultra-impressive since entering mixed martial arts only four years ago. His ever evolving striking and proven high-level grappling has led some fans to see him as the biggest threat to the Brazilian’s throne in years. But the fact remains Silva has had more successful UFC title defenses than the 28-year-old has professional fights. Weidman’s wish will come true on July 6 in Las Vegas, when he meets the pound-for-pound king in the main event of UFC 162. And as he made clear at a Q&A before the UFC 159 weigh-ins this week, he’s confident’s he’s the man to beat “The Spider.”

"When I started MMA about four years ago, (Silva) was the champion at 185. When I made the decision to go to 185, I had to believe I could beat the champion of the world or there’s no reason for me to do this. So from the get-go, no matter who I was fighting coming out of Ring of Combat at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, I wasn’t only training to beat those guys who I was paired up against, I was training already at that point to beat Anderson Silva and become the best in the world. Now I’ve finally earned the opportunity to get that and I’m not going to let it slip through my fingers ... I think I’ve got my dream match-up right here on July 6. I really think I do. I think the best thing Anderson Silva does is mentally destroy people before they even get in the cage with him. Once you get in the cage with him, he does a great job of making you feel like you do not belong in this cage with me. You’re terrible, I’m the man, you’re going to find a way out of out of this fight. I think the biggest thing is just – I’m very confident. I know my skillset, I’ve seen what Chael Sonnen has done to him, I’ve seen his weaknesses and I think I can expose them again and look for a finish or a good performance. You’ve just got to be confident. And you can say anything you want before the fight, but it’s all about when you touch those gloves, do you still have the confidence and I’m going to make sure I do. It’s all mental. On paper I'm a nightmare matchup for Anderson. You know, on paper you can't deny it. I definitely have better wrestling and I definitely believe I have proven I have better jiu-jtsu. I think I have the cardio, the athleticism, I think there's a lot of stuff that's siding with me on this fight."

From MMA Lives Here
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments

• Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    Agreed 100%.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,073Free

The only nightmares Silva has about Weidman are the PPV numbers.

Lmao
  • Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    edited April 2013
    Weidman will give anderson countless nightmares of what he did to him on that fateful night of july 6th for the rest of his life.
    Post edited by Weidman_the_GOAT on

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • AnsemAnsem Posts: 3,837Free
    Anderson first round KO.

| Machida - JDS - Penn - Belfort - Nurmagomedov - Texiera |

“I make my own odds. I make my own atmosphere.” - Vitor Belfort

"Sixty G's babyyy! haha yeah!" - Conor Mcgregoat

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,372Free
    Lol, he'll learn soon enough.

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    Ansem said:

Anderson first round KO.

this

weidman doesnt fight like sonnen he doesnt puruse takedown like sonnen he will get destroyed regardless of being better on the gronud than sonnen he wont get it to the mat like sonnen.

"Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,073Free
    Weidman has absolutely no chance in hell
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • TheHarbingerTheHarbinger Posts: 6,779Free
    Weidman most certainly has a chance... He's a great wrestler but unlike Chael he has some solid punching power, if he can manage to get some good GnP off he can take this.

With that said, I'm going with Anderson by KO, rnd 1 or 2.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    It might be fact that he has had tons of title defenses,but only ONE was remotely significant and that was the first meeting with Chael.
    Also a fact is that he has only faced one decent opponent in Chael but Chael has absolutely no game beyond his TD's.
    I think it spells low quality for the opponents Silva has faced,nothing challenging.
    So after all those defenses and fights ,he is about to face his very first legit opponent that can not only fight to Silva's weakness but he can also do a little more,something Chael couldn't.
    I think the only question mark is cardio,if he can't finish Silva can he last 5 rounds,TD's are extremely tiring,even GSp's great cardio tires badly from Wrestling.
    My personal opinion is that if he can't finish,Silva will Ko him,but i doubt sub him like he did Chael.Chael was just so sloppy for at least the last 2 rounds from being tired,i don't see Weidman carelessly tossing his arms out like that.Chael was basically just throwing meaningless arm swings to look busy so the ref wouldn't stand them up,i think Weidman will use some wrestling chokes/moves to maintain control without being careless.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • DaPhreshnessDaPhreshness Posts: 84Free
    Weidman could potentially win this fight, but it depends on how good his takedowns really are. If he gets Silva down, I don't think Silva can do much against him other than get back up, but if Weidman sticks around on the feet longer than he needs to then he's getting finished in the first round.
    Favorite Fighters by Division:

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Minotauro Nogueira/Matt Mitrione
    zaksame said:

It might be fact that he has had tons of title defenses,but only ONE was remotely significant and that was the first meeting with Chael.
    Also a fact is that he has only faced one decent opponent in Chael but Chael has absolutely no game beyond his TD's.
    I think it spells low quality for the opponents Silva has faced,nothing challenging.
    So after all those defenses and fights ,he is about to face his very first legit opponent that can not only fight to Silva's weakness but he can also do a little more,something Chael couldn't.
    I think the only question mark is cardio,if he can't finish Silva can he last 5 rounds,TD's are extremely tiring,even GSp's great cardio tires badly from Wrestling.
    My personal opinion is that if he can't finish,Silva will Ko him,but i doubt sub him like he did Chael.Chael was just so sloppy for at least the last 2 rounds from being tired,i don't see Weidman carelessly tossing his arms out like that.Chael was basically just throwing meaningless arm swings to look busy so the ref wouldn't stand them up,i think Weidman will use some wrestling chokes/moves to maintain control without being careless.

wtf? so there are no decent fighters in the MW division except chael? cause maia is a bum right except hes gonig to destroy gsp?
    "Believe in the beard"

• fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Of course you are Chris, keep dreaming son

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free

hahaha

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free

Lmao, nice!

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free
    AS has a chin so good luck knocking him out
    weedmans only chance is a UD
    "Believe in the beard"

• VegiVegi Posts: 1Free
    edited April 2013

Carlos Newton = Former UFC Welterweight Champion.
    Hayoto Sakurai = Former Pride Grand Prix Finalist and UFC Title Challenger
    Jeremy Horn = Two-Time UFC Title Challenger
    Yushin Okami
    Rich Franklin x2 = Former UFC Middleweight Champion
    Nate Marquardt = Former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion, Three-Time Pancrase Middleweight Champion
    Dan Henderson = Former PRIDE Welterweight Champion, PRIDE Middleweight Champion, Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion
    Forrest Griffin = Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion
    Demian Maia
    Chael Sonnen x2 = (Essentially) Former WEC Middleweight Champion
    Vitor Belfort = Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion

The whole Anderson Silva hasn't fought anyone that good thing is an old, silly argument. It's just like how they say it about Mike Tyson. Those people would be more of somebodies if Anderson wasn't around to knock them all back down once they get to the title.

Hendo acquired the Strikeforce title way after the Anderson fight. Demian Maia is a one-dimensional fighter, anyone who argues that is lying out their teeth. Nate acquired the Strikeforce title after his fight with Anderson as well, also, who did nate beat to earn the title shot, a nobody? Sakurai's best opponent before Anderson was Trigg, and Sakurai is also a can because he lost to anyone with a wikipedia entry after that. Okami is one dimensional, also a can. Franklin never had any competition before that, also is the second most inconsistent fighter on the roster next to Wanderlei. Griffin? lol. Chael and Vitor are truly is only competition.

You also forgot, Travis Lutter, BJJ Master, Thales Leites, Ultimate Sprinter, Patrick Cote, utilizes defending with his chin like a pro, and the ultra amazing Stephan Bonnar.
    Post edited by Vegi on
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    PunchBag said:

weedmans only chance is a UD

or a sub
    he isnt subbing silva lets be real
    "Believe in the beard"

PunchBag said:

Could happen IMO.

Silva vs Weidman is the biggest fight of the year IMO
    its marginally above bigfoot vs velasquez 2 imo
    "Believe in the beard"

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free

PunchBag said:

Could happen IMO.

Bigger than Aldo/Edgar?

GoToGuy said:

PunchBag said:

Could happen IMO.

Bigger than Aldo/Edgar?
    I even like Aldo-Pettis more than Aldo-Edgar.

Aldo-Edgar had the same problem GSP-Diaz had, one of the fighters was coming off a loss.
  • Andy_AndersonAndy_Anderson Posts: 572Free
    Weidman will dominate. Won't even be close!
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    If been waiting for Anderson to lose for soo long

But I can't root for a wrestler over a badazz ninja striker

Anderson KO round 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 744Free
    Weidman is right, it's very much about confidence. Most guys lose to Anderson even before they step into the ring.
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free

PunchBag said:

Could happen IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner