Why anderson silva is a different fight than sonnen

rick10rick10 Posts: 185Free
I keep reading how jones taking sonnen down and dominating proves that he would do the same to silva since chael was able to take him down and hold him for five round in their first fight.

There are a few things wrong with that statement.

1 Silva has an excellent guard which he has shown against top wrestlers like sonnen and henderson. In the other hand sonnen is not used to being at the bottom in any of his fights so that is new to him. He may be used to being at the bottom in a wrestling match against someone his own weight but he is not used to at being at the bottom in a mma fight where you can punch and elbow

2 Silva has really good submission game off his back , he is a black belt and his body is really long.He has submitted people from there and his head movement is excellent as well as his striking , in his first fight against sonnen we saw how sonnen looked at the end of the fight . Sonnen in the other hand does not have a submission game , he is a shorter fights that can not submit people so jones did not have to worry about getting submitted. As a matter of fact I dont think anyone in the ufc would be afraid of chaels submission game

3 Silva has a dangerous clinch, he can inflict real damage from there . In the other hand sonnen showed how weak his clinch is last night. I bet my money silva would do more damage if he was in the same position

4 Silva is a counterstriker and he will keep his distance and wait for jones to come at him. Much like lyoto , evans and even belford did. In the other hand sonnen rush and attack jones

5 Silva is a much much better striker than sonnen so jones would not rush him and he would try to keep his distance too. Sonnen in the other hand is an inferior strikers


Even if jones takes the fight to the ground , I dont think he has faced anyone as dangerous as silva from his back. We saw how vitor was able to almost submit him. I do not think jones would be throwing elbows like that , silva has a long body and he would be much harder to hit , plus you have to worry about his submission game... Jones knows that
Tagged:

Comments

  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free
    rick10 said:


    1 Silva has an excellent guard which he has shown against top wrestlers like sonnen and henderson.

    LOL, did he?
    Sonnen was able to land every single punch he made in Silva's guard. And there stats say there were hundreds of them.
    Jones won't be landing hundreds of punches. He will land a couple of elbows and you're done.
    rick10 said:


    2 Silva has really good submission game off his back ,

    Don't exaggerate. He was able to submit Sonnen - who has poor sub defence - when Chael was totally gassed. By that time he had zero submission attempts at Sonnen. Zero.

    That's not good enough for Jones. He will not give Silva 5 rounds being in his guard. Silva would be a bloody pulp with fractured skull by that time.

    image
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free

    the difference is: Jon Jones fights smart. on ground was easier, he went to the ground.

    Anderson Silva fights whatever the fight goes. and wins it.

    ^This
    image
    image

  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free


    you keep comparing the fights like Anderson would fight Jones the same way he did to Sonnen

    How exactly did Silva fight Sonnen?
    He was on his back entirely in both fights.

    His goal was not to get taken down - which he failed to do. He will want not to get taken down by Jones even more. But Jones will take him down.

    image
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 741Free
    najma said:


    you keep comparing the fights like Anderson would fight Jones the same way he did to Sonnen

    How exactly did Silva fight Sonnen?
    He was on his back entirely in both fights.

    His goal was not to get taken down - which he failed to do. He will want not to get taken down by Jones even more. But Jones will take him down.

    So the real question is: Can Jones take Silva down? Jones isn´t Sonnen either. No-one has had the same relentless drive to push forward against either fighter. We don´t know how Jones will react when he gets hit by Silva. Remember Silva´s stand up is equal (?) to Jones´ G'nP.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,038Free

    So the real question is: Can Jones take Silva down?

    LOLWUT You think that's really a question?

    image
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Jones says he basically likes to outdo his opponents in their own game, hence "Chael Sonnen'd Chael Sonnen". If Jones tries to stand with Silva where Silva is at his best, Jones could be in trouble. If he's smart, he'd take Silva down, play it safe with the elbows and such and eek out a decision or TKO.

    All in all, I'd be rooting for Silva.

    ________________________________________________________________________
    Creating MMA Photoshops Since 2010. Check them out now and please Like on Facebook!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

    __________
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Difference is........Silva is the GOAT!
    image

  • MagergetMagerget Posts: 461Free
    Only way I see Spider winning this would be him throwing those limbs around JBJ's neck, but that is a longshot. JBJ's wrestling is as good as, if not better than, Sonnen's, and he is bigger and stronger. JBJ would probably shove his elbows through AS's face on the ground... Maybe, and that's a big maybe, if AS would go muay-thai on the legs of JBJ it could slow him down somewhat, but I don't see it... Still think that Mauler or maybe Machida (wise from their previous altercation) are the only ones with a chance of rocking JBJ at the moment...
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Op MOST of your points are non factual versus Jones.
    Silva is average on the ground,he has lost twice on the ground and the ONLY reason he stopped Chael was because Chael was already gassed out for two rounds.Even a very tired Chael was still able to manhandle Silva and hold him down,it took to the last seconds to pull it off.
    2..good sub game?Versus who,he has never proved it aside form Chael and Chael has ZERO ground skills,he is a very simple wrestler,nothing more.
    3...Clinch works if you are the same height,Jones head will be above his,there will be no cinch unless Jones enforces one.I guarantee Silva wants NOTHING to do with any clinch with Jones.Heck he didn't want it versus Chael and there is no comparison there.
    4 YES ,this point makes sense.He does not commit so it does not allow Jones to always get his way.It could end up being a VERY boring fight ,until imo Jones makes the first move,i am positive Silva will not engage.Still Jones with more height and reach can move forward and still fight out of reach,sort of think of the Vinny versus Davis fight.
    5 Well i already made point of that ,Jones doesn't need to rush in,he can fight out of range.Silva is also very good at doing that becuase he fights using his hips,it gives him another foot of reach in and out.I also agree Silva is ALWAYS harder to hit,obviously because he does not engage,he is simply a counter striker.

    Silva is actually quite a one dimensional fighter "counter striker" most of the champions are,except Jones,that is what makes him so dam tough.If you could at least catch Jones with intangibles like cardio,or speed or athleticism or smarts or reach it might give you more of a chance,but Jones covers those areas as well.

    I stick by what i have always known from personal sports,PRESSURE,if you keep constant pressure it does not allow the other guy to setup or think.You of course have to do it smart and have your own great cardio.I do not see Silva fighting that way at all,maybe in a rematch he would smarten up.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    I love how people only refer to Silva's submission game by pointing out how bad Sonnen's sub defense is, all while ignoring the fact that Silva tapped out Dan Henderson and Travis Lutter, and how his guard completely shut down an amazing grappler in Nate Marquardt
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.



    Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • rick10rick10 Posts: 185Free
    zaksame said:

    Op MOST of your points are non factual versus Jones.
    Silva is average on the ground,he has lost twice on the ground and the ONLY reason he stopped Chael was because Chael was already gassed out for two rounds.Even a very tired Chael was still able to manhandle Silva and hold him down,it took to the last seconds to pull it off.
    2..good sub game?Versus who,he has never proved it aside form Chael and Chael has ZERO ground skills,he is a very simple wrestler,nothing more.
    3...Clinch works if you are the same height,Jones head will be above his,there will be no cinch unless Jones enforces one.I guarantee Silva wants NOTHING to do with any clinch with Jones.Heck he didn't want it versus Chael and there is no comparison there.
    4 YES ,this point makes sense.He does not commit so it does not allow Jones to always get his way.It could end up being a VERY boring fight ,until imo Jones makes the first move,i am positive Silva will not engage.Still Jones with more height and reach can move forward and still fight out of reach,sort of think of the Vinny versus Davis fight.
    5 Well i already made point of that ,Jones doesn't need to rush in,he can fight out of range.Silva is also very good at doing that becuase he fights using his hips,it gives him another foot of reach in and out.I also agree Silva is ALWAYS harder to hit,obviously because he does not engage,he is simply a counter striker.

    Silva is actually quite a one dimensional fighter "counter striker" most of the champions are,except Jones,that is what makes him so dam tough.If you could at least catch Jones with intangibles like cardio,or speed or athleticism or smarts or reach it might give you more of a chance,but Jones covers those areas as well.

    I stick by what i have always known from personal sports,PRESSURE,if you keep constant pressure it does not allow the other guy to setup or think.You of course have to do it smart and have your own great cardio.I do not see Silva fighting that way at all,maybe in a rematch he would smarten up.

    you must be new to the sport , but silva used his ground game against henderson , marquart and lutter . I bet you dont even know those name and how good those guys are on the ground ... Sonnen was only able to keep silva down the first fight , not the second fight where silva finish sonnen in the second round.

    Furthermore Sonnen is a very different wrestler than jones, he rushes towards his opponent , just like he did against jones so it happens jones is the bigger wrestler so he got owned in the ground. Jone in the other hand will not rush towards silva . Its a very different fight

    There is one more thing i forgot to mention , jones is the type of guy that wants to beat his opponents in their game , he is young . The spider on the other hand is a master at playing mind games and jones is the perfect figther to plame mind games. I bet the spider will taunt jones so that he strikes with him just like he did with forrest griffin. Jones is a cocky young fighter , he will want to prove that he can strike with silva and that may be his downfall
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    i see silva loosing this because, jones is just to strong, i mean he was picking up and slamming sonnen like a child, he isnt going to have any problems doing that to silva.

    I think the difference though is jones knowing how dangerous silva is in both the clinch and counter striking will make jones hesitant to clinch up with silva or rush into anything. Which should give silva enough time on the feet to possibly make something happen.

    But make no mistake if it goes to the ground silva is in trouble. Jones is very tall long limbs and it doesnt matter how good silvas clinch is hes going to be in trouble. Stating he did well in clinch with sonnen and henderson isnt really validating silva's ground game imo.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,959Free
    The difference is AS is black and Cheal is Jewish
    image
  • DoobsterDoobster Posts: 2,096Free
    the difference is Silva is the Gold medalist from down a division.
    "It's either blue cheese with wings or go **** your mother." -- MadFlavor
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Denial denial denial....LOL Most everyone knows JBJ will do what he damn well pleases if he fights Silva. Silva would get wrecked by JBJ.....no need to explain or convincing and ya know it. End thread.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    JBJ should fight silva, if he ever wants to be remembered as the greatest of all time he has to beat silva or he will be forever haunted by the fact he didnt fight him
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion
    image
    image


Sign In or Register to comment.