The "super fight"-idea is stupid!

MagergetMagerget Posts: 461Free
So many voices are raised for the idea of "super fights". GSP vs Silva, Silva vs JBJ, JBJ vs Velasques etc. Why is this a good idea? I just don't see it! There are many fights to be made within weight classes. Silva-Weidman, JBJ-Mauler, GSP-Hendricks and so forth... If Silva goes up to 205, or JBJ to HW and put their minds to it, then it's another matter entirely, but the idea of super fights "just'cause" is stupid.

MMA in general and UFC specifically doesn't need to go WWE on ****. There will be new fighters who will beat the reigning champs. It's their effing duty to learn, adapt and overcome. As long as a champ is a champ, then he is THE CHAMP, there's no two ways about that. Stop trying to make UFC go the way of WWE...

Any opinions?
Tagged:

Comments

• rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,974Free
    Silva beats Wiedman. Then what?

JBJ beats Gus. Then what? Cormier? We don't even know how he'd look cutting to 205.

GSP is irrelevant in this super fight conversation.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• MagergetMagerget Posts: 461Free
    Agaoin, if that's how it is, then that's how it is.The other fighters needs to be better, that's a pretty easy equation in my book. And again, if Silva wants to go to 205, then he needs to fight say Machida, Texieira or maybe "just" Bader to show he has the stuff for it (which he probably does) I don't like the idea of getting ahead of other fighters who has gone through hell to get their shots, just to be put aside because someone has got an ego, i.e. GSP vs Diaz and JBJ vs Sonnen.

No **** thrown Sonnens or Diaz's way, they got a chance and took it, but Machida and Mauler was sidestepped and Hendricks even more sidestepped. I don't like that.
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,892Free
    It's going to be a long time till we see fighter's as dominant as AS and Jones and these guy's aint going to be around forever. So the quicker the better
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,163Free
    edited April 2013
    Anderson Silva is the GOAT for being the only champ to push superfights. Don't mention GSP though. He ducks superfights like the plague.
    Post edited by Za1994 on
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI

Anderson Silva cleaned up his division for years and he's now seeking for superfights

how is the idea of #1 p4p facing #2 p4p not good?

So how do you judge p4p? Aldo vs Velasqies? Bendo vs JBJ? It's like saying Ali should've fought Sugar Ray. You fight the weight you fight. If you want or need a legacy, then do it for real! Make the effort and change weight, stop cutting as much and fight your way up the ladder. Of course the ladder can be a bit shorter for some guys, but Silva vs JBJ? Really? Does he not need to at east fight one top-five before?
    Magerget said:

Anderson Silva cleaned up his division for years and he's now seeking for superfights

So how do you judge p4p? Aldo vs Velasqies? Bendo vs JBJ? It's like saying Ali should've fought Sugar Ray. You fight the weight you fight. If you want or need a legacy, then do it for real! Make the effort and change weight, stop cutting as much and fight your way up the ladder. Of course the ladder can be a bit shorter for some guys, but Silva vs JBJ? Really? Does he not need to at east fight one top-five before?
    No they will fight at a catchweight

Silva beats Wiedman. Then what?

JBJ beats Gus. Then what? Cormier? We don't even know how he'd look cutting to 205.

GSP is irrelevant in this super fight conversation.

I would love to see Cormier cut to 205, it should be pretty easy for him. He would be a force in 205. But again, I think he needs to try one or two top-five before getting a chance at the gold... No free rides, but that's just my opinion...
  • DarksjeikDarksjeik Posts: 2,245Free
    GSP vs Silva is a superfight. JBJ vs Silva is manslaughter... there's no way Silva is getting past the 2nd and that's coming from a guy that's no JBJ fan to say the least

Identity said:

Magerget said:

Catchweight, another strange idea... Again, fight the weight you fight or change! In my book it's an "either-or" scenario...
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,707Free
    GSP doesn't even deserve a "superfight"

Silva and Jones are the #1 and #2 fighters in the world

GSP is irrelevant when it comes to a "superfight" conversation
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    Magerget said:

Identity said:

Magerget said:

Catchweight, another strange idea... Again, fight the weight you fight or change! In my book it's an "either-or" scenario...
    You seem fun...
    Identity said:

Magerget said:

Identity said:

Magerget said:

You seem fun...
    Well, a bit **** at times maybe ;)
    Magerget said:

Identity said:

Magerget said:

Identity said:

Magerget said:

You seem fun...
    Well, a bit **** at times maybe ;)
    And I think there is a lot more excitement within classes than trying to change the sport into WWE... MMA was that once, and maybe another organization should to the "no-weightclasses" of old, but I think it would dilute UFC and eventually MMA.

Myabe but i guess it's like the Batman vs Superman kind of debate.
    Identity said:

Myabe but i guess it's like the Batman vs Superman kind of debate.

True dat...

And Batman would totally win btw...
    Batman has zero superpowers so....Hell no
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    All this talk about superfights is just that, talk. And who is the one talking about it more often than anyone? Dana. I doubt Silva called up Dana for a superfight. He hardly talks about who he wants to fight in his own division. Dana is just throwing out his favorite word to line his pockets and gain interest in the UFC that much more

When we hear "superfight" come out of the mouth of the fighter, then I'll show some serious interest
  • AxeMurduhAxeMurduh ShuragogaunepechwanPosts: 1,918Free
    Magerget said:

So many voices are raised for the idea of "super fights". GSP vs Silva, Silva vs JBJ, JBJ vs Velasques etc. Why is this a good idea? I just don't see it! There are many fights to be made within weight classes. Silva-Weidman, JBJ-Mauler, GSP-Hendricks and so forth... If Silva goes up to 205, or JBJ to HW and put their minds to it, then it's another matter entirely, but the idea of super fights "just'cause" is stupid.

MMA in general and UFC specifically doesn't need to go WWE on ****. There will be new fighters who will beat the reigning champs. It's their effing duty to learn, adapt and overcome. As long as a champ is a champ, then he is THE CHAMP, there's no two ways about that. Stop trying to make UFC go the way of WWE...

Any opinions?

My opinion is this thread is stupid. Really who doesnt want to see JBJ vs AS?

AxeMurduh said:

Magerget said:

Any opinions?

My opinion is this thread is stupid. Really who doesnt want to see JBJ vs AS?
    I'd love to see that, but AS needs to try out one or two top LHW first. AS would be totally annihilated by JBJ otherwise... First round TKO... But if he tries someone other than Forrest or Psycho, someone really good, then he may get what's waiting when he faces JBJ... He won't be able to grandstand against the fence vs any top-ten LHW... imo...
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,820Free
    Za1994 said:

Anderson Silva is the GOAT for being the only champ to push superfights. Don't mention GSP though. He ducks superfights like the plague.

What? Silva's been ducking Jones for 2 years. And he's already fought at 205, and beat a former LHW champ.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • sobercorruptsobercorrupt Sobercorrupt Posts: 25,780Moderator, Ultimate
    The appeal of superfights is that they are rare an unlikely to happen. They're the big "fantasy" match ups. In that regard I think "fantasy" match ups are what brought the UFC into fruition. The Gracies wanted to show the world that their style was superior to other styles. In doing so they created a platform for a myriad of hypothetical match ups in the style vs style format of early UFCs.

We got to see idiots that thought they were deadly ninja warriors gets owned by wrestlers and grapplers. Giant Sumo's getting their teeth caved in by a champion kickboxer. And people loved it. It took bar-talk and hypothetical musings and made them real. Actual superfights do the same thing. They take away the argument and put the issue to rest. I think it's the same reason why P4P rankings are always so hotly debated, because they are intangible.

The big "superfight" match ups that may/may not be put together will do unreal PPV numbers and draw crazy publicity. However in every superfight, there will be a loser. That person will carry out the remainder of their career with a big, indelible mark on their legacy. In my opinion that's why they don't get made. There's a delicate balance between the short-term big money grab and possibly tarnishing the legacy of a proven, money making star.
    imageimageimageimageimage < -- click one

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

The appeal of superfights is that they are rare an unlikely to happen. They're the big "fantasy" match ups. In that regard I think "fantasy" match ups are what brought the UFC into fruition. The Gracies wanted to show the world that their style was superior to other styles. In doing so they created a platform for a myriad of hypothetical match ups in the style vs style format of early UFCs.

We got to see idiots that thought they were deadly ninja warriors gets owned by wrestlers and grapplers. Giant Sumo's getting their teeth caved in by a champion kickboxer. And people loved it. It took bar-talk and hypothetical musings and made them real. Actual superfights do the same thing. They take away the argument and put the issue to rest. I think it's the same reason why P4P rankings are always so hotly debated, because they are intangible.

The big "superfight" match ups that may/may not be put together will do unreal PPV numbers and draw crazy publicity. However in every superfight, there will be a loser. That person will carry out the remainder of their career with a big, indelible mark on their legacy. In my opinion that's why they don't get made. There's a delicate balance between the short-term big money grab and possibly tarnishing the legacy of a proven, money making star.

This ^^

Thread/
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    Magerget said:

Any opinions?

I think people just don't understand the size difference..

they keep saying GSP weighs as much as Silva. When they talk about Silva vs Jones they say Silva walks around at 230 and that he's ducking his real division.. Then people say Jones should fight at HW...

They don't get that it was possible to skip weight classes years ago when the guy in the division above could possibly be really less skilled than the smaller contender..

Nowadays the guys are all very good. Fighting Jones alone is a **** hardcore thing to do for anyone. Doing it by giving up size as well is just stupid. Same thing for GSP fighting Silva. If Silva would go up in weight to fight say.. Franklin.. I'd say its possible. But to give up size and fight Anderson Silva? come on..
  • ColdWorkKenColdWorkKen Posts: 1,566Free
    Watching Anderson KO JBJ would be glorious

You make some good points. However, when Silva dominated Forrest, he proved he can do it. So now he's scared?

You make some good points. However, when Silva dominated Forrest, he proved he can do it. So now he's scared?
    I would hardly call Silva/Griffen a "superfight" but it certainly illustrates my point about the ruining of a fighter's legacy. No MMA fan will ever forget watching Forrest get humiliated like it was his first week strapping on gloves.

The last superfight in the UFC was GSP/Penn 2.

The closest thing since have been cross promotional title unification bouts. And that's basically just Bendo/Melendez and to a lesser extent GSP/Shields (I say that because Shields had a UFC fight before the GSP bouts)

It breaks down further to bouts to unify interim champs and reigning champs. Lesner/Carwin, Lesnar/Mir 2, Condit/GSP.

In my opinion it's Reigning Champion vs Reigning Champion.

At the rate we're going I could see a women's super fight happening before a men's one if the UFC were to add a 145 or 125 lb women's class.

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

I would hardly call Silva/Griffen a "superfight" but it certainly illustrates my point about the ruining of a fighter's legacy. No MMA fan will ever forget watching Forrest get humiliated like it was his first week strapping on gloves.

The closest thing since have been cross promotional title unification bouts. And that's basically just Bendo/Melendez and to a lesser extent GSP/Shields (I say that because Shields had a UFC fight before the GSP bouts)

It breaks down further to bouts to unify interim champs and reigning champs. Lesner/Carwin, Lesnar/Mir 2, Condit/GSP.

At the rate we're going I could see a women's super fight happening before a men's one if the UFC were to add a 145 or 125 lb women's class.
    I agree that Silva-Griffin wasn't a superfight. Silva moved up to see how he would do against a highly rated light heavyweight, had incredible sucess, and then changed his mind. There will never be a women's fight that I will call "super." It's like women's basketball to me. Great women athletes are at a high school level of male athletes.

I agree that Silva-Griffin wasn't a superfight. Silva moved up to see how he would do against a highly rated light heavyweight, had incredible sucess, and then changed his mind. There will never be a women's fight that I will call "super." It's like women's basketball to me. Great women athletes are at a high school level of male athletes.
    Rousey/Cyborg would be the pinnacle of women's MMA at this point.