Was the stoppage on Chael vs JJ doubtful or not?

Fedor_Last_Can_CrusherFedor_Last_Can_Crusher Posts: 36Free
edited April 2013 in UFC
I saw a situation where it could be stopped or not, so it was in the limit of the acceptable.
Post edited by Fedor_Last_Can_Crusher on
B.J. Penn in the WW > 3 Wins(2 against Hughes) - 1 Draw - 5 Losses(ok, 1 against greased GSP kkkk...).
Tagged:

Comments

• Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    It could have gone on a little longer, but there wouldn't have been a difference. It's not like Chael was ever going to turn the fight around.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

I would have laughed so hard if Chael would have automatically won the belt because of Jones's broken toe. Would have been the weakest way ever to win the title. How could anyone have been proud of that?

edited April 2013

I would have laughed so hard if Chael would have automatically won the belt because of Jones's broken toe. Would have been the weakest way ever to win the title. How could anyone have been proud of that?

Would be the crown of a weird night of fights...

Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,252Free
    Well I dunno, do you think elbowing someone's forearm should stop a fight?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner

If Jones was just elbowing Sonnen's forearm, why didn't Sonnen fight back instead of covering up and not doing anything?

Yes, doubtful. At least some of the initial deniers are coming out and saying stuff like, " it probably should have been allowed to go a little longer, but..." That strongly suggests that the stoppage was indeed premature despite whatever perception of the outcome otherwise. The argument that he probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyways is irrelevant. Totally a Bob Sapp stoppage.

If Jones was just elbowing Sonnen's forearm, why didn't Sonnen fight back instead of covering up and not doing anything?
    What was he supposed to do? Outstrike him from the bottom? This isn't a video game lol, Sonnen did what he was supposed to do, block the initial onslaught, get up or sweep when Jones slows/tires/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was he supposed to do? Outstrike him from the bottom? This isn't a video game lol, Sonnen did what he was supposed to do, block the initial onslaught, get up or sweep when Jones slows/tires/
    Too bad Chael just wasn't good enough to do that.

He wasn't given the chance ;)

What chance? For a comeback? lol

Jones couldn't keep up that GnP forever, he would of stopped and then Sonnen would of popped up

• FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free

I saw a situation where it could be stopped or not, so it was in the limit of the acceptable.

I seriously don't get why people are even talking about it.

Chael was finished. The ref saw it. Why would he wait and let him get hurt any more?

The criteria for the ref to stop the fight isn't that the fighter is busted up and passed out. It's that he isn't defending himself intelligently.

I know we've all seen fights where the guy wasn't defending himself and the ref let it go way longer than that but that doesn't make this stoppage incorrect. That just makes the other stoppages late.

In many other cases the guy on the receiving hand of the beatdown at least tried to defend himself. Chael didn't do that. When you aren't even trying to roll move but instead just go full fetal, game is over.

To me there isn't even a doubt here. Only reason I thought the fight was stopped early was because I hoped Sonnen would bleed more than that. Other than that I wasn't surprised that it was stopped when it happened. He was in fetal position, hiding his face with no attempt to get back on his feet, block efficiently or try to reverse the position. He was just laying there getting elbowed... fight was over.

Jones couldn't keep up that GnP forever, he would of stopped and then Sonnen would of popped up
    And Jones would have repeated. More takedowns, more elbows. Sonnen had nothing to offer Jones. But I did admire him for going right at Jones from the beginning.

And Jones would have repeated. More takedowns, more elbows. Sonnen had nothing to offer Jones. But I did admire him for going right at Jones from the beginning.
    Jones would of lost by TKO (toe injury)

Jones tried to do the impossible and stop Sonnen's double, and it cost him his toe, he should of lost because of that

• -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 621Free

If that's the angle you want to take, that's fine, but it can go both ways. Jon said he felt the fight got stopped a little early, and I don't disagree with him, but Chael also said he had no problem with the stoppage and that Jon is the better fighter.

It is all a matter of opinion really. To me, even though there were only 27 seconds left, I still feel like that was plenty of time for Jon to get the stoppage. One way or another, I feel that fight was going to be ended before the end of the first round and Jon would have, in all likelihood, had his hand raised at the end.

Chael is a tough guy and I like him a lot, but he needs to realize it isn't about toughness as much as it is being conscious of the rules and what is happening in the fight at all times. He, of all people, should know that if somebody doesn't actively attempt to defend oneself AND better their position in an attempt to prove they're capable of continuing and prolong the fight, then the referee has no choice but to stop the fight in the interest of protecting the fighter's health and well being. Laying in the fetal position and eating shots that caused lacerations to open in several places on his face didn't help his case.

This is especially true considering Keith Peterson is new to refereeing UFC fights, let alone a main event. He can't have a blemish on his record, such as a fighter being seriously hurt due to his lack of action, but he can easily live with calling a fight perhaps a bit early to ensure nothing bad were to happen. He made the right call. Rogan agrees with the stoppage. Dana White didn't express any issues with it either. Nobody of much significance has made a stink about it, so I'm not sure why it seems to continue to be such a hot issue after everything has been said and done. I don't know what more can be said about this subject.
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    NO!

lol
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
    Keem said:

NO!

lol

but Sonnen had a bone structure disadvantage so he should of been given more time to recover......right?

Keem said:

NO!

lol

but Sonnen had a bone structure disadvantage so he should of been given more time to recover......right?
    Disadvantage? Chael's never been KO'd cold. Don't discredit him like that.

Keem said:

NO!

lol

But subbed easily...Jones is a submission mashine...never knocked out ,but choked out more than enough!!!
    Jones would've ended that fight with a finish of chael sonnen TKO KO SUB no matter what... it was his choice! If his toe wouldn't have end the fight... there were no other way Chael Sonnen raises his hands to be the champion as much as i want him to be...Jones looked Great Chael hadnt a single chance that night! Thats the hard truth!

Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

Keem said:

NO!

lol

But subbed easily...Jones is a submission mashine...never knocked out ,but choked out more than enough!!!
    Jones would've ended that fight with a finish of chael sonnen TKO KO SUB no matter what... it was his choice! If his toe wouldn't have end the fight... there were no other way Chael Sonnen raises his hands to be the champion as much as i want him to be...Jones looked Great Chael hadnt a single chance that night! Thats the hard truth!

So, if it would've went to the 2nd round, would Chael have been awarded the title or would it have been a No Contest?

Keem said:

NO!

lol

So, if it would've went to the 2nd round, would Chael have been awarded the title or would it have been a No Contest?
    Actually i think it would be a TKO by doctors stoppage...Chael is the Champ!
    OSP won his fight too didnt he?

Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on

Keem said:

NO!

lol

Actually i think it would be a TKO by doctors stoppage...Chael is the Champ!
    OSP won his fight too didnt he?

That would have been very bad for Chael. His legacy would have went from "the guy who took Anderson Silva to the limit" to "Most embarassing way to win a title in history".

At least he'll always be remembered for his trash talking.

Keem said:

NO!

lol

Tko doctor stoppage loss. They wouldn't let him fight with his toe nearly torn off and you can't go to the judges unless 3 rounds are turned in for a 5 round title fight.

• PabloskyPablosky Posts: 675Free
    chael was completely dominated...

he was finished, it is not necesary to kill the oponent, he was 100% done in EVERY ASPECT OF THE FIGHT.
    thanks god im less stupid now!

Keem said:

NO!

lol

Tko doctor stoppage loss. They wouldn't let him fight with his toe nearly torn off and you can't go to the judges unless 3 rounds are turned in for a 5 round title fight.

I actually would have loved to hear Chael's title win interview. Bet the Chael who said "Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck", wouldn't have been talking ****.

Keem said:

NO!

lol

I actually would have loved to hear Chael's title win interview. Bet the Chael who said "Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck", wouldn't have been talking ****.
    Chael would've done the best of it :D
    trash talking how ''he'' broke jones toe with his powerful mind and stuff like that...i'd like to hear how he praises his fake belt... making it look good in devastating fashion :D .... could be quite funny!