Fighter Pay really IS Terrible

Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,165Free
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-mma-net-worth/ Top 50 MMA | Celebrity Net Worth

Very few MMA fighters hit the mil mark, Cain is a champion at 900k.

This is a joke, most of all of this money comes from sponsorship too.

So you're telling me that a multi billion dollar operation can't afford to pay 1/32th of the purse Mayweather got for an off fight.

Just to compare.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-richest-boxers/

You know something is wrong when Arianny is making more than the UFC HW champ. Yes, I admit fighters get paid by sponsor's as well. But it can't be THAT much of a difference. Tom lawlor's sponsor's pay him 15-20k. Matt Mitrione used to get paid 5k in sponsorships. PPV buys have dramatically increased over the years but the pay has stayed the same. Its true that the UFC give behind the scene bonuses to fighters that come out to fight.

Matt Brown has been on the receiving end of one of those bonuses and he says that those bonuses are nice; but its not even close to FOTN/KOTN/SOTN. So I can only imagine those behind the scene bonuses being around 30-35k since "Of the night" bonuses are usually 50k. I imagine the "Behind the scene" bonus is much lesser than the "Of the night" bonus if Matt Brown is more willing to get a "Of the night" bonus than a behind the scenes bonus.

Its crazy how much less MMA fighters get paid compared to Boxing. And don't give me the "Undercard boxers don't get paid jack" either as Austin Trout is making way more than your typical MMA fighter. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is getting PAID if he had to pay the commission 900k for smoking Mary Jane. Sergio Martinez is getting paid and I'm sure half of you don't know who he is. Gamboa is getting paid way more than main card fighters in the UFC.

I really think the fighters need to make a fighters union and get all of this straightened out. UFC/MMA fighters are getting paid jackshit compared to boxers. The fighters are the ones suffering the injury and brain damage while the Fertitta brothers and Dana White is walking away with more and more money while suffering none of the consequences.
Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
Represent Roufusport:
Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
Tagged:

Comments

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,258Free
    GOATtime makes alotta money though
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,430Moderator, Elite
    Za1994 said:

So you're telling me that a multi billion dollar operation can't afford to pay 1/32th of the purse Mayweather got for an off fight.

If you're going to compare the salaries, also compare the number of buys an average Mayweather fight brings in compared to an average UFC event.

Also, how much are the guys even in the co-main event of a boxing fight making? Hell, even the guy Mayweather just fought made less than 10% of what Mayweather got, and he was in the main event!

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement when it comes to fighter pay, but this isn't a fair comparison.

I'm sure the UFC would love to pay their guys like Mayweather, but they're too smart to let their business get to a point where it takes over 900,000 Pay Per View buys to cover ONE GUY'S pay (a stat I just saw on Twitter for Saturday's Mayweather fight).

(P.S. According to that site, Matt Hughes is worth as much as George St. Pierre, a guy that pulls the highest PPV numbers in the UFC, and combined, they're not even worth three quarters of what BJ Penn is worth. I'm calling BS on those numbers)
    Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

Up Next: Bellator 119, and UFC 178.
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free
    edited May 2013
    $20 million dollar net worth - That's a whole lot of burgers for BJ Penn to eat btw.

Post edited by MMA_FTW on
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,820Free
    but didnt bj get most of his earnings from his rich family business?
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• KOTMFKOTMF Posts: 348Free
    I don't believe that some of those numbers are that low. I'm sure they've made much more. Some of these guys like GSP per fight, make millions, so how can he only be worth 7 million? He's had a ton of fights and probably makes at least a few million per fight.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    Mcmax3000 said:

Za1994 said:

If you're going to compare the salaries, also compare the number of buys an average Mayweather fight brings in compared to an average UFC event.

Also, how much are the guys even in the co-main event of a boxing fight making? Hell, even the guy Mayweather just fought made less than 10% of what Mayweather got, and he was in the main event!

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement when it comes to fighter pay, but this isn't a fair comparison.

I'm sure the UFC would love to pay their guys like Mayweather, but they're too smart to let their business get to a point where it takes over 900,000 Pay Per View buys to cover ONE GUY'S pay (a stat I just saw on Twitter for Saturday's Mayweather fight).

(P.S. According to that site, Matt Hughes is worth as much as George St. Pierre, a guy that pulls the highest PPV numbers in the UFC, and combined, they're not even worth three quarters of what BJ Penn is worth. I'm calling BS on those numbers)
    BJ comes form a rich as family...ever seen the PENN tennis balls...they are like the biggest ones in the world I hear...its like Wilson for Basketballs
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,489Free
    PATSTER said:

Show me the validity of this site and then I'll agree with you.

The site has been confirmed to be legit...only Forbes can claim to have better numbers cuz of thier old school inside connections...but they don't do most athletes
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • MMA_FTWMMA_FTW Co-Owner of the UFCPosts: 6,818Free
    You also have to take into account when those numbers were accumulated.
    "Game recognize game and you lookin' kinda unfamiliar right now. I - I can't... Where's Granddad? Can I help you, sir?"
  • munkiemunkie Posts: 2,538Free
    In Boxing, the top IDK 5%?, make good money. Everybody else makes jack ****. I personally know of a professional Boxer who makes more from unemployment each month than he does from 3 fights a month. Unless you're a big name Boxer on big name cards, you average anywhere between 150 and 500 bucks a fight. Hell, I've seen Boxers make their debut at $50 a fight. If you think that compares to a fighter making their UFC debut, Sheila Gaff for example made 6k, then you're stupid and I'm shocked that natural selection hasn't picked your dumb **** off yet.
  • Beloved89Beloved89 Posts: 215Free
    lol but they're still rich.
    WAR CIGANO!!

Cain is far superior to Big Foot, and so is Spartacus_ to me. I should not bet against the undefeated GOAT poster.
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    edited May 2013
    What did the rest of the boxers on that Mayweather card make?

A **** ton less than what the lowest paid UFC fighters get
    Post edited by CaptainSuperman on
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free

They arent underpaid, they are paid just right. Pro athletes should get paid about what mma fighters make. Not get 200 million over a span of 10 years for swinging a bat trying to hit a little ball.

But many times those guys swinging a stick are the figurehead of an entire organization and might account for billions in revenue for that team over those 10 years, granted their skill fits the bill.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

They arent underpaid, they are paid just right. Pro athletes should get paid about what mma fighters make. Not get 200 million over a span of 10 years for swinging a bat trying to hit a little ball.

But many times those guys swinging a stick are the figurehead of an entire organization and might account for billions in revenue for that team over those 10 years, granted their skill fits the bill.
    Yup. Those guys are being paid what they are worth, too. While I still think they make a metric **** ton for doing what they do, players in baseball play 162 games a year, with I would think half of those being at home. 80 some home games and a **** ton of tickets later, that's a lot of money in the owners pocket as well as the players pocket.

Think, 162 games a year to maybe 3 fights a year.

Most people work 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. That's 260 days a year. With an average of 3 fights a year and 6K being about the lowest a fighter can make, if he doesn't win any of his fights, that's 18K in one year. And with every win you're getting double the payday. And then there are sponsorship's. And Of The Night bonuses. And undisclosed bonuses.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    If they don't think fighting pays them enough, they can get other jobs
  • GN_FDUGN_FDU Posts: 3,803Free
    Sooo... How is Wanderlei Silva on the boxing list at 8 mill, but is missing from the MMA list? Legit? Something tells me it's not.
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,724Free
    Nick Diaz makes Arab money
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,823Free
    munkie said:

In Boxing, the top IDK 5%?, make good money. Everybody else makes jack ****. I personally know of a professional Boxer who makes more from unemployment each month than he does from 3 fights a month. Unless you're a big name Boxer on big name cards, you average anywhere between 150 and 500 bucks a fight. Hell, I've seen Boxers make their debut at $50 a fight. If you think that compares to a fighter making their UFC debut, Sheila Gaff for example made 6k, then you're stupid and I'm shocked that natural selection hasn't picked your dumb **** off yet.

I bet MMA fighters make about the same in their MMA debut (not UFC). You **** up on this argument. UFC fighters are already established as sucessful pros.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,589Free
    If Matt Brown, a fighter with a 17-11 record is getting 30-35k bonuses then he is VERY WELL PAID.

munkie said:

I bet MMA fighters make about the same in their MMA debut (not UFC). You **** up on this argument. UFC fighters are already established as sucessful pros.
    No, not all. I could probably name a crap ton of guys in the basement of the UFC that you've never heard of.

And I bet people at the Mayweather/Guerrero event weren't just making their debut, but still made crap
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    Anderson Silva no showed that promo because he wants BJ Penn money.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    edited May 2013
    Ya we have pretty much stopped hearing Dana use the YOUNG business excuse,it is no longer growing at least not at the rate Dana predicted.
    He was trying to compare MMA to Hockey,even GSP to Gretzky lmao,Hockey is on every night several games a night sometimes.The lowest paid guy in hockey,which btw is not a big sport anywhere outside of Canada,is paid more than 90% of the UFC fighters.
    Ya Arianny makes more than 90% of the UFC fighters.

Where it really gets to be low balling your employees is the bottom of the pay scale,those guys are not even making minimum wage if you figure they only get one fight a year which is possible especially since every fight is a possible injury.I imagine they have to look after their own insurance as well.I know Dana sometimes likes to brag about helping out an injure fighter,well ya probably because he didn't cover the medical insurance/cost the commissions call for.I see this happening everywhere there is no commission,probably lots of money is saved by not having a commission.
    They most likely also have some sort of money laundering in place ,that is why they pay "in secret" extra money outside of what is claimed to avoid the tax man.
    Post edited by zaksame on
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,585Free
    still not enough money... Chael got 50K for his fight and he promoted da s*** out of UFC 159!
    75% Chael 25% Jones. Jones get more than the double of 50K if i remember it right...

New markets = More money it will happen and hopefully it's not end up like boxing! [-O<
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,557Free
    The last 5 NHL champs are all American teams. I'd say hockey is pretty popular here too.

Zach you've done it again !
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,911Free
    I'd happily get 10k for a 25 minute fight
  • Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 2,430Moderator, Elite

still not enough money... Chael got 50K for his fight and he promoted da s*** out of UFC 159!

If you honestly believe Chael Sonnen only made $50,000 for UFC 159, there's no way you can have a rational discussion about fighter pay.
    Xbox Live Gamertag (XB1/360), Playstation Network ID (PS4/PS3), Nintendo Network ID (Wii U), and Steam ID: Mcmax3000, Twitter: Mcmax3000

I've Been to: UFC 83, UFC 97, UFC 114 + Fan Expo, MMA: The Reckoning, UFC 129 + Fan Expo, Bellator 47, UFC 140, Bellator 67, Ultimate Fighter Live Finale, UFC 159, and UFC 165.

Up Next: Bellator 119, and UFC 178.
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    Identity said:

I'd happily get 10k for a 25 minute fight

After paying your managers/trainers you would be left with about 6k. So if you include training then you would make about 2k per month which isn't **** especially for a career with about a 10-15 year lifespan.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,911Free
    it's not bad for something you are passionate about
    zaksame said:

Ya we have pretty much stopped hearing Dana use the YOUNG business excuse,it is no longer growing at least not at the rate Dana predicted.
    He was trying to compare MMA to Hockey,even GSP to Gretzky lmao,Hockey is on every night several games a night sometimes.The lowest paid guy in hockey,which btw is not a big sport anywhere outside of Canada,is paid more than 90% of the UFC fighters.
    Ya Arianny makes more than 90% of the UFC fighters.

Where it really gets to be low balling your employees is the bottom of the pay scale,those guys are not even making minimum wage if you figure they only get one fight a year which is possible especially since every fight is a possible injury.I imagine they have to look after their own insurance as well.I know Dana sometimes likes to brag about helping out an injure fighter,well ya probably because he didn't cover the medical insurance/cost the commissions call for.I see this happening everywhere there is no commission,probably lots of money is saved by not having a commission.
    They most likely also have some sort of money laundering in place ,that is why they pay "in secret" extra money outside of what is claimed to avoid the tax man.

Herp Derp. You said it yourself if the first paragraph, hockey is on several nights a week. To be more specific, there are 82 games in an NHL season. 41 at home and 41 on the road. For 6 months, not 8 weeks. And that's not if you make the playoffs. And you don't get paid extra for playing in more playoff games.

Also, your stats are like the rest of your posts, terribly made up.

And again, minimum wage? For a ****ing fighter? For 3 fights a year? At the very least, Joe Blow makes 18K. That's 6K a fight, assuming you lose. If you win? That's 36K a year. Yeah, that's terrible pay. Wah. I guess that's why we see all these fighters coming out from everywhere saying the pay sucks...

Oh wait, no we don't. Probably cause most of these guys are FIGHTERS! Not just guys looking for a job. This is not a job
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    Fighters that put in work get paid just. And by put work in i mean they strive to get sponsorships, media appearances,etc. Fighters that come up and think they should be handed that get ****
    imageimage