Ken Shamrock comments on UFC/Fighter's Pay.

HackcellHackcell Posts: 46Free
I believe what Ken has to say is quite interesting especially since he was with the company for a long time and @Za1994 recently made a thread about fighters pay being horrible (which I agree with btw).

What do you guys think about Ken's comment?
Jkelevra's Story

TeamWeidGOAT.
Believe in the beard.

Comments

• ipso_factoipso_facto Posts: 1,029Free
    I really shouldn't comment on this one...but I must. lol

Bret "The Hitman" Hart echoed the same sentiments regarding cut and/or retired long term pro wrestlers. His analogy of McMahon's disregard for years of loyal service was that of "Vince might as well take these ex fighters out back and shootem in the back of the head". This coming from a wrestler that did very well financially. Apparently Ken didn't fare as well.

I guess there's something to be said about planning for the future, and I don't know how much Ken earned during his career, but at age 49 he is still having to fight.
    Favorites:

HW - M. Mitrione, C. Velasquez

LHW - K. Soszynski, A. Johnson

MW - B. Stann, T. Credeur

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Well in the UFC you can't really plan much because they make sure you sign away all your rights.A perfect example,Silva recently missed a PR event.He is contracted as a fighter,not a PR guy,Silva is not paid to do marketing,well apparently he is.I am positive they sign that in their contracts.so they are performing more than just meeting the obligation of fight.
    There is also no guarantee future to properly plan ahead,you might sing a 3 fight deal and be done,you might get injured permanently after one fight.Look what happened to Carwin he made 40k that had to last him over 2 years,that is like working at Tim Hortons Doughnuts.

Even sponsorship is no guarantee,we recently heard of fighters no being paid their sponsorship money.So how do you plan with so much uncertainty?

What this sport needs is a union but one that works together with the UFC.Reason is simple,they need a bottom pay roll,example 50k a year guaranteed or 25 a fight.If you fight 3 times you make a decent living.There also needs to be a definitive time line,so if they sign you to 3 fights,it needs to be in writing by end of year,otherwise they can drag you out on these lame 5-15k contracts for more than a year.That kind of BS ends up less money than pumping gas.
    Basically the fighters need better rights,they need to be treated fair,not like pieces of meat to be tossed away when it goes bad.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,847Free
    I think that no matter what our opinions are on the subject, it's a fact that the fighters think they are getting screwed.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,015Free
    Ken's just coming to grip's that he was a can
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 10,053Free
    Ken after he lost to Tito

"Its OK, we made a lot of money together"
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free

Ken after he lost to Tito

"Its OK, we made a lot of money together"

This...Ken made alot of money...he just handled it bad

My stance on all this is simple...the top 30% or so fighter live good...Cain V. was quoted to be worth 900k....that's damn good since he has like what 10 fights?

Look these guys don't make boxer money...but they ain't poor uknow

It's the bottom 70% I'm worried bout...these guys are the ones who need to be paid more...most of these guys cant even train full time cuz they are bring home the bacon

And the argument against that is "well fight your way up the ladder first"...that's BS cuz its rigged against them to make it up there...people say well A.Silva did it...well yah he did but he had alot of help...he got his title shot in his second UFC fight...Brock got his in his 3rd...these big money guys got help and placed in big fights

How many UFC fights did Jon Fitched have be4 he got a title shot...he faced alot better comp be4 he got the big money fights then Brock and Silva...I'm sure his financial struggle was harder then most

Then you got guys who leave the ufc cuz they can't support there family...for example Jason McDonald...he left to work in a prison cuz he said he made more...now i dont know bout Canada but where i like they can expect just below 40k a year (not including OT)...Im not saying give the bottom guys millions...im just saying if your in the UFC and met a quota of 3 fights a year you will make already 50k...is that to much to ask

Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • grappleDMKgrappleDMK Posts: 56Free
    I don't know if I agree about a fighter's union, if that would be handled properly or not? (if not that is a slippery slope) I do, however, agree that there needs to be like a 30-40k base minimum salary. There is no way you want to be considered an international legitimate sport when 80-95% (no reference) are "Professionals" but are really amateurs (working a full-time job). If you want to be on the same level as amateur wrestling, bowling, track and field sure; but not if you want to sign a mega-contract with FOX and try to compete with baseball, football, basketball, and American football.
  • 2006Man2006Man Posts: 235Free
    anderson silva got a check for 8 million dollars against chael sonnen thats a lot
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,645Free
    I hope that Ken is wrong about UFC fighters murdering people, going to prison, and dying of drug overdoses ten years from now. That would certainly be bad for the sport's image! Other than that comment, he was surprising coherent and even articulate.

Ultimately, the UFC is still a private company that can pay what they wish. If the fighters want to unionize to bargain for better rates, so be it. There isn't much else one can do. It's not like fighters can go to another MMA organization and make more money. Those that did offer big paydays didn't last very long.
  • KOTMFKOTMF Posts: 348Free
    The problem with some of these fighters is that they are probably not all educated enough to invest their money and save for the future so when they start getting paid, they waste it all, thinking more will come and then they end up broke down the road. Even if Ken made a lot of money back then, he was probably living it up and it doesn't take long to blow a few hundred thousand over a few years. Later on, you're broke and you got so used to fighting that you probably will end up needing to take out your rage on something stupid and end up in jail and broke.

The ones coming up now as champions are making a shitload of money and they likely are smart enough to invest and save so they'll be find when they're retired.
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,182Free
    I really think they need to make a union. I agree somewhat to what Shamrock says but he isn't that much of a reliable source. He's been very unstable for the past few years and seems biased but he seemed very clear minded in that interview. Fighters need to get paid more, period. The UFC is the pinnacle of the sport. Even a bench player in the NBA who averages 1 minute a game gets paid more than the UFC HW champ. A LOT more. And I LOL'd so hard at the tags.

Like one of the posts said. They should be getting paid so much so that they don't need a second job. This is their full time job. They should get paid a lot more.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    Za1994 said:

I really think they need to make a union. I agree somewhat to what Shamrock says but he isn't that much of a reliable source. He's been very unstable for the past few years and seems biased but he seemed very clear minded in that interview. Fighters need to get paid more, period. The UFC is the pinnacle of the sport. Even a bench player in the NBA who averages 1 minute a game gets paid more than the UFC HW champ. A LOT more. And I LOL'd so hard at the tags.

Like one of the posts said. They should be getting paid so much so that they don't need a second job. This is their full time job. They should get paid a lot more.

or how bout getting paid enough to where another career is not even a thought in your head...when you see a UFC level.guy leave cuz he can make more at a 40k a year job then something is.wrong
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Ken is just mad that he was around before the company was making money.
  • JohnnyZadarJohnnyZadar Posts: 8,936Free
    Hackcell said:

I believe what Ken has to say is quite interesting especially since he was with the company for a long time and @Za1994 recently made a thread about fighters pay being horrible (which I agree with btw).

Hackcell said:

Kens a idiot...and I made a thread b4 zaaa...lol...about fighter pay ;)