Weidman: Anderson’s not a superhero

MMALivesHereMMALivesHere Posts: 80Free
edited May 2013 in UFC
Chris Weidman (9-0) knows he's up against something special in UFC pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva (33-4). The much-anticipated clash goes down at UFC 162 on July 6. While some fans argue Weidman's mix of wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu is Silva's kryptonite, others think the 28-year-old will be just another top contender caught in The Spider's web. Weidman, a former NCAA Division 1 wrestler and ADCC competitor, has maintained an outspoken confidence rarely seen in Silva's opponents. It's hard to imagine someone defeating the Brazilian, simply because the last person to do it was Ryo Chonan via diving ninja sub almost 10 years ago. But Weidman told Yahoo! Sports he wasn't fazed.

"You have to treat him like just another opponent. You respect what he’s done in this sport - of course you do - but you can’t get caught up in it. Guess what? He’s a person just like I am, he’s got two arms, two legs, two eyes, like I do. I’m not fighting a superhero, I’m fighting another person and it’s my job to defeat him. Simple as that ... I can’t change anyone’s mind and that’s not my job, anyway. I feel like I have the right mix of skills, the desire, the determination, to get the job done. The UFC thinks enough of me to give me the title shot. To those who might think I don’t deserve this yet, all I can say is, tune in on July 6 and I’ll show you otherwise.”

From MMA Lives Here - follow me on Twitter
Post edited by MMALivesHere on
Tagged:

Comments

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,824Free
    easy to say before a fight, lets see if he still has that opinion after.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Not a superhero? I'd say he's super human though.

• Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    The soon to be GOAT speaks the truth again.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,585Free
    Wtf? I can't make it any clearer for you...
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,613Free

Wtf? I can't make it any clearer for you...

Spiderman is half Anderson Silva?
    Nooo Silva is half SpiderMan B-)
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• Bubba_PilksBubba_Pilks Posts: 8,410Free
    Diving Ninja Sub. LMFAO

Oh and Anderson is definitely the closest thing to a superhero.
    Proud to be the Co-Founder of the GSP MAFIA !!!

Rory MacDonald: "I'm just in there to collect bodies!"

ARES, CIGANO, BONES, BARÅO
    SENATORS, PACKERS, BULLS, RED SOX

JBJF is a good poster

Chris Weidman (9-0) knows he's up against something special in UFC pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva (33-4). The much-anticipated clash goes down at UFC 162 on July 6. While some fans argue Weidman's mix of wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu is Silva's kryptonite, others think the 28-year-old will be just another top contender caught in The Spider's web. Weidman, a former NCAA Division 1 wrestler and ADCC competitor, has maintained an outspoken confidence rarely seen in Silva's opponents. It's hard to imagine someone defeating the Brazilian, simply because the last person to do it was Ryo Chonan via diving ninja sub almost 10 years ago. But Weidman told Yahoo! Sports he wasn't fazed.

"You have to treat him like just another opponent. You respect what he’s done in this sport - of course you do - but you can’t get caught up in it. Guess what? He’s a person just like I am, he’s got two arms, two legs, two eyes, like I do. I’m not fighting a superhero, I’m fighting another person and it’s my job to defeat him. Simple as that ... I can’t change anyone’s mind and that’s not my job, anyway. I feel like I have the right mix of skills, the desire, the determination, to get the job done. The UFC thinks enough of me to give me the title shot. To those who might think I don’t deserve this yet, all I can say is, tune in on July 6 and I’ll show you otherwise.”

Just ridiculous! Another entry to Weidman_the_Goat's Troll Club Hall of Fame! Now we have too...

@Weidman_the_Throat keep on flagging me bi***, nothing else you can do to me!!!

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    To be fair i think some of the guys that have fought andy did put him on a pedestal from the get go instead of treating him like a human
    imageimage

To be fair i think some of the guys that have fought andy did put him on a pedestal from the get go instead of treating him like a human

Agreed. The ones who aren't afraid to fight him usually do the best. Unless there's a huge skill differential...aka Leben
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,289Free
    I like the approach Weidman is taking to this fight.

For those of you who are angry with Weidman for "talking" about his upcoming fight, don't be mad at Chris, be mad at the reporters constantly questioning him.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

I like the approach Weidman is taking to this fight.

For those of you who are angry with Weidman for "talking" about his upcoming fight, don't be mad at Chris, be mad at the reporters constantly questioning him.

Anyone who is mad at Chris is feeding right out of his hand, he's using everything Anderson does to sell the fight.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    Silva got beat twice by Japanese fighters,they do not traditionally do well in the UFC.The best was his loss to Azeredo that guy was just a small man and held Silva down lol.Anyone thinks Silva has improved,go back and watch his loss to Azeredo he was the exact same cocky arrogant fighter he is now,only he has added weight.He has fought this exact same way since forever,it is simply a very weak division and that is why Chris came out of nowhere to be the contender and why an average fighter in Sonnen got the title shots prior.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    lol....keep talking Weidman.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Post edited by Cole1186 on
  • BlackziliansBlackzilians Posts: 565Free
    spider via KO
    Maia vs Rousey
    Phenom 'n Suga
    Welcome to Welterweight Division Mr. Lombard.
    AAAND NEW! UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Alexander Gustafsson
  • edh1edh1 Posts: 960Free

Not the way he takes guys out.. Imo he is more like an assassin THAT TOYS WITH YOU,superheros show mercy..........Imagine the panic in Weidmans EYES when/if Silva stuffs some takedowns.OH CRAP.....WHAT NOW.
  • Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    edh1 said:

Not the way he takes guys out.. Imo he is more like an assassin THAT TOYS WITH YOU,superheros show mercy..........Imagine the panic in Weidmans EYES when/if Silva stuffs some takedowns.OH CRAP.....WHAT NOW.
    Then he is fully prepared to standing elbow ko him just like he did munoz.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    I'm getting so annoyed with Weidman..

If he wins, fine. But hell... he's so overhyped.

"You have to treat him like just another opponent" sure.. then he's in for a rude awakening cuz all the "other opponents" that he's been fast tracked through to get to that title shot are a notch above any competition he's faced so far. let alone Anderson Silva. If he thinks this is gonna be just like any opponent he'll get **** over.

And I gotta say.. this whole "I think I have the right mix of skills" thing is getting so dumb. I'd like a guy to say "I think I'm a better fighter than he is" not "I think I'm specifically matched to beat him and him alone but thats enough for me". Guys who are the champs should be champ because they're the best not just because they happened to match well against the champion, who on the other hand, is capable would be in a position where he can defeat many guys that the champ is unable to defeat but just not the champ itself.

Of course styles make fight but it'd be cool sometimes that the fighters set to face each other be focused on being the best fighter they can be and not just on trying to just be "the right guy".

Just as if Sonnen would've taken the belt from Silva. How retarded would that have been knowing that at any moment Maia could come over and take the belt from him, and now we'd have a champ that was totally outclassed by the previous champ but that managed to put his hand on the gold because the guy who outclassed him was removed by someone else that HE matched well against.

That is why guys usually need to go through at least 1 #1 contender level fighter before they get a title shot... To avoid flukes from happening by exposing champs to undeserving contenders who could just happen to slip through the crack for this one night and then be stuck with an unworthy champion.

I mean.. they hype it as if Weidman's BJJ was something spectacular.. Hell. The guy's been going for pro MMA for 3 years. Anderson Silva's been a BJJ black belt for like 7 years. If it was a strict BJJ match Silva would probly win. He was able to last a complete round with Thales Leites, a worldclass BJJ autority, without Leites being able to actually attempt anything..

Again.. not saying Weidman has no chances.. he has the same chance as anyone else and could be the guy. But the argument as to why he should be the one to do it is making me kinda sick.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    zaksame said:

Silva got beat twice by Japanese fighters,they do not traditionally do well in the UFC.The best was his loss to Azeredo that guy was just a small man and held Silva down lol.Anyone thinks Silva has improved,go back and watch his loss to Azeredo he was the exact same cocky arrogant fighter he is now,only he has added weight.He has fought this exact same way since forever,it is simply a very weak division and that is why Chris came out of nowhere to be the contender and why an average fighter in Sonnen got the title shots prior.

this doesn't even make sense
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,604Free
    Bruce Wayne would whoop that azz.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Well no. To say he is a superhero implies he fights super villains for a living. Weidman wished he was half as good as Aquaman
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,604Free

Well no. To say he is a superhero implies he fights super villains for a living. Weidman wished he was half as good as Aquaman

Would you say he's more on Harley Quinn's level?

No, what am I saying? That b!tch was wild.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

Haha I was gonna use HQ instead of Aquaman...but Aquaman is just a joke. HQ is pure badass
  • OmahaOutcastOmahaOutcast Posts: 281Free

LOL this^
    Jake Ellenberger > GSP

Robbie Lawler = GOAT

Scott Jorgensen #1 favorite bantamweight
  • RodrigoRuaRodrigoRua Posts: 2,422Free
    Its so funny how its ALWAYS LIKE THAT BEFORE ALL SILVAS FIGHT !

Dude was say "hes a human, blah, blh, blah"

Haters say "Now Anderson is gonna get beaten"

Sunday morning is always "oh, that dude was a can thats why Anderson beat him"
    Funny that Weidman has already talked about rematches for Silva, like he's won and thinks Silva offers nothing to him. But guarantee if Silva wins the first thing out of Chris's mouth will be "I knew he was good but I wasn't expecting that from him"
  • PakaLPakaL Posts: 4,086Elite
    Weidman will dominate silva.Like jones did shogun maybe even worse silva just might retire after this mauling.
    HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

Belfort~EL GuapO~GraciE

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~

Weidman,Moraga,Cormier,Scareface,MauleR,GingeR~BrownE&HondA HouseY all inspiring.

Chuck~GSP~norriS
    The Truth
    KingzombiE`aka`StundonG 2 Strong

The Notorious Conor Mcgregor ='s MMA's 2pac

Animated Gifs Animated Gifs