who had the better career: bj or shogun?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
edited May 2013 in UFC
these 2 guys always seemed similar to me. they both are referred to as legends even though they are currently in their prime age and not in the top 3 of their division. they both were completely dominant for a period of time, but are likely not living up to their potential at the moment because of the fact that they peaked so quick

who would you say had the overall better career? i would say shogun at the moment because bj's been on such a bad run lately, and Shogun won both the Pride Grand Prix and the UFC belt. it's definitely close though
Post edited by Sisti on
Tagged:

Comments

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    Shogun for sure. He ran through Pride and has been somewhat successful in the UFC. If bj stayed at lightweight I would imagine he would have had a better career then shogun
    imageimage
  • _TUF1__TUF1_ Posts: 8,159Free
    I would say BJ right now just because he's farther along in his career than Shogun. Shogun never defended the belt while BJ stopped the WW goat twice and is still the LW goat.
    My milk shake bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like "Hondas **** is bigger than yours, damn right its bigger than yours." Step to the GOAT 12er and get clapped up knee grows.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147483/the-official-anderson-silva-got-ktfo-5-stages-of-grief-thread/p1

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,253Free
    RAMGOAT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    _TUF1_ said:

I would say BJ right now just because he's farther along in his career than Shogun. Shogun never defended the belt while BJ stopped the WW goat twice and is still the LW goat.

LW GOAT doesn't hold much weight now though. LHW, MW, and WW had much better competition. I do agree with u that BJ stopping Hughes in devastating fashion twice and being LW GOAT are probably better overall accomplishments than Shogun who lost the belt convincingly in his first defense and won the MW Grand Prix

RAMGOAT

no way, man, ramgoat would get annhilated by bj
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    It's close. BJ had a better career in the states, he's more mainstream. Shogun's better days were in PRIDE but he still KO'd one of the GOATs to win the UFC belt.

It's close. Who cares?
  • Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,800Moderator, Ultimate
    Bj never defended his ww title either
    Also shogun won the gp with arguably the most stacked grand prix ever
    imageimage

It's close. BJ had a better career in the states, he's more mainstream. Shogun's better days were in PRIDE but he still KO'd one of the GOATs to win the UFC belt.

It's close. Who cares?

KO'd one of the goats? Peeyto isn't a ****ing goat u bum
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's close. Who cares?

it's mma discussion board, there's 1million+ posts, the point is to discuss who you think are the best fighters and mma in general. oh, and complain about trt and post gifs and talk about wolf tickets and god's odds
    This is sort of discussing p4p, Shogun and BJ aren't nearly the same weight (even though they both faced Machida) so it's hard to say who had the better career.

One thing's for sure, they obviously are legends of the sport and I respect them because they're facing their downfalls like real men instead of using PEDs to stay in the game. Same thing happened with Fedor. The guys that peaked in the PRIDE era should all be close to retirement... but we know that's not the case L-)
  • cromwellcromwell Posts: 655Free
    It's to close for me to call, they both had brilliant careers in their own way. Both still in their prime age but slowed down to young. I think they have been in so many wars at the hight of their careers that it has taken it's toll on them.
    "You say im not great, i say i am great. However, i know myself better than you know me, so my conclusion of myself is therefore more accurate."
  • Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,165Free

It's close. Who cares?

You better be talking about Chuck and not Peeyoto Macheeto. BJ Penn has the better career.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
  • Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    ShoGod by a mile.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,980Free
    ShoGOD had a better career than BJ because we saw what ShoGOD could do at his very best. BJ always left the fans wondering because of his subpar work ethic when unmotivated.

Both better than GSP

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

I'd say personality wise Shogun was better because he never whined and always stayed respectful towards his opponents
  • BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    Trick question, The answer is Al Turk.

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,253Free
    Shoulda been a pole thread.

I'd vote Bj though.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,961Free
    Is this even a question? Shogun got his stardom due to taking dosages of deca in form of Wanderleis rock hard shlong. Shogun is one punch away from having a negative ufc record. He beat a can to win the belt and got beat down by a 19 year old kid and tapped to strikes LMAO. Also its obvious he still uses to this day. BJ Penn is a two division champ and the most dominant LW champ ever who never truly lost either title. Penn beat guys in devastating fashion and most importantly CLEAN.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,577Free
    edited May 2013
    THE PRODIGY B.J. PENN!
    But it's a close decision...
    (next time poll pls)
    Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

Is this even a question? Shogun got his stardom due to taking dosages of deca in form of Wanderleis rock hard shlong. Shogun is one punch away from having a negative ufc record. He beat a can to win the belt and got beat down by a 19 year old kid and tapped to strikes LMAO. Also its obvious he still uses to this day. BJ Penn is a two division champ and the most dominant LW champ ever who never truly lost either title. Penn beat guys in devastating fashion and most importantly CLEAN.

8->
  • Doctor_ObviouslyDoctor_Obviously Posts: 18,842Free
    Shogun, hands down.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doctor...15684498441639

Pioneered an entire weightclass

Still the most dominate LW champion and took a WW title from Hughes
    (This from a Bendo aficianado)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 955Free
    I'd say they're pretty close in terms of legacy. Both are legends of the sport, unfortunately with unrealized potential.

I give the slight edge to Shogun based on level of competition(and maybe just a little personal bias).
    RamGOAT kills both of them

He holds two belts like Penn

And he ran through Pride like Shogun

best of both worlds

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free

best of both worlds

I hate to be that guy because I like Rampage it's just..

OP didn't say ANYTHING about Rampage
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Keem said:

best of both worlds

It's an obsession.

best of both worlds

The Doctor has diagnosed me with "RamGOAT obsession disorder"

Apparently it is a serious disorder which only affects the most retarded of retards

Keem said:

best of both worlds

Apparently it is a serious disorder which only affects the most retarded of retards
    At least you're man enough to admit it. And it's not altogether a bad thing.

Keem said:

best of both worlds

No hard feelings, but..

Shogun or Penn

Megumi Fuji