Is the UFC trying to help WSOF?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
So UFC refuses to bring on Nick Newell for no good reason whatsoever. The guy is the epitome of a miracle story and great publicity...an undefeated fighter with all the potential in the world who only has one arm. So naturally, WSOF scooped him up, and a lot of publicity and media attention in the process.

Then the UFC releases Jon Fitch, a guy who consistently dominates the UFC roster, and the UFC spent a ton of time building up. WSOF scoops him up as well. Is it just me or is DW just too egotistical for his own good. Seems like he's bigger on feeding his ego and the amount of ****-kissing he gets moreso than making wise business moves.

Tagged:

Comments

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    Not insulting dana, just thinks he has to be careful on speaking to the media and backing himself into a corner by saying certain things too soon
  • WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,816Free
    It's well known that Dana is an idiot

As for Fitch, good riddance
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
    WarWest said:

not gonna miss fitch...the only thing though is that business-wise they built a big name for another company to get to use

i would like DW to get a smaller role in the company. between the million weight classes, temper tantrums, and ridiculous title shots, the guy definitely needs to get his power scaled back
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,651Free
    edited May 2013
    I think the UFC are worried about having a 1-handed fighter get beat up in their organization and want to make sure he is capable of competing against high level guys. He'll probably fight some UFC rejects in WSOF and if he stays undefeated the UFC will bring him in.

and I don't think they thought Fitch was worth what they were paying him anymore. The reason they gave for cutting him was stupid and could be applied to many guys on the roster.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,363Free

I think the UFC are worried about having a 1-handed fighter get beat up in their organization and want to make sure he is capable of competing against high level guys. He'll probably fight some UFC rejects in WSOF and if he stays undefeated the UFC will bring him in.

and I don't think they thought Fitch was worth what they were paying him anymore. The reason they gave for cutting him was stupid and could be applied to many guys on the roster.

The bold is probably true about Nick. He's definitely a skilled fighter but due to him having a stump he comes with contraversy. If they signed him today and he ended up getting KTFO or the **** beat out of him in his debut it wouldn't look good for the UFC. He will fight higher echelon competition in WSOF than he did in XFC hopefully and the UFC will be watching.

I like how StompGrind pointed out that he actually has an advantage when it comes to sinking in a RnC with that stump arm.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Little_KangLittle_Kang Posts: 17,809Moderator, Ultimate
    As far as I see it, Dana has a good relationship with Ray Sefo
    imageimage
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,591Free
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad for newell after One FC and UFC, WSOF is the biggest promotion imo...
    Kid kills ppl with one arm and i'm looking forward to his 1st fight, curious what he can achieve in a bigger promotion!
    I Don't think UFC releases fighter just for WSOF :) but probs to Sisti for making an usual MMA news to a UFC Topic
    ;))
    Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

I'm glad for newell after One FC and UFC, WSOF is the biggest promotion imo...
    Kid kills ppl with one arm and i'm looking forward to his 1st fight, curious what he can achieve in a bigger promotion!
    I Don't think UFC releases fighter just for WSOF :) but probs to Sisti for making a usual MMA news to a UFC Topic
    ;))

haha figured if i put ufc in the title it would stay in this section
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    It is all about the image,and of course Dana White.Dana sees a potential show down with media from all avenues if he signs him.They already started WMMA for the sexism and media Rousey brings,so adding this guy would have been looked at as more of a spectacle than a legit move.
    I am sure if he beat a couple big name fighters,the UFC would sign him,but then again i don't know all the specifics with him.Example is he avoiding commissions and insurance clauses,would he only be able to fight in certain non sanctioned areas,If he did get badly hurt would the UFC be liable too much to know before making a decision.Just because some lawyer writes up a waiver document does not mean it would stand up in court.
    I also believe there was something about the end of his arm as being dangerous as well,you can't start allowing added equipment in the ring to cover up a potential weapon being the end of his arm.If i didn't make that clear,think of it like all the eye poke controversy we have been hearing,not like you can fit the end of his arm with a glove.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,293Free
    He would be bad for the UFC's image. The reaction they would get if someone beat up a "retard" would be bad news for them
  • trez1336trez1336 Posts: 642Free
    jon fitch consistantly dominated the UFC roster? good sure..dominant no
    text
  • munkiemunkie Posts: 2,538Free
    edited May 2013
    For starters, if the UFC signed Nick Newell, it'd be more trouble than anything else. He might beat a fellow nobody when he starts, but once he gets destroyed, and he would by any top 20 fighter in the UFC, the UFC would be scrutinized for letting a handicapped fighter fight. The media backlash, the handicap support group protests, the stupid religious groups protests, all of those idiot group protests that would follow the complete destruction of a handicapped fighter getting destroyed in the octagon would make signing him not worth it. As for releasing Fitch and him signing with WSOF, that will cause more harm than good. All Fitch brings to WSOF is name value. Yeah, that'll bring in the fans a couple of times, but those fans that see him fight will be driven away from ever going to or even watching another event with his name on it. Fitch is boring, and will push away new fans rather than bring them in.
    Post edited by munkie on
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,859Free
    WarWest said:

this^^

fitch is to good to warrantt the pay he deserves, basically he needs to be paid more money then he can generate. He has no real fan base and nobody is all that excited to see him fight. But obviously a guy that keeps winning is going to want a larger paycheck

"Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,015Free
    LOL! Fitch hurt WSOF. He is one of the most boring fighters that ever graced the octagon. My guess is that they released him so he would get picked up by the WSOF so he could cripple their ticket and PPV sales.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"