UFC sambo era appreciation thread

PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,784Free
edited November 2013 in UFC

Sambo will take over the ufc as more and more russian fighters get added to the line up. Khabib and khabilov already showing that sambo fighters are a force to be reckoned with. so i started this thread to celebrate sambo's eventual domination of mma and the UFC.

MMA has been in russia for a long time and like brazilians and americans they already had a dominate sport that translates well to mma. sambo combining the best of both wrestling and jujitsu should obviously be the choice of art for future mma fighters looking to strengthen there standup with both wrestling and submissions.

Finally we are getting to see some of these unknown russians face off agaisnt well known fighters in the ufc and other organizations and surprisingly these russians are kicking ****.

finally i leave you with the face of Frodo "mini fedor" khasbulaev, now thats the face of a warrior.

current sambo ufc roster

Khabib Nurmagomedov
Alexey Oleinik
Rustam Khabilov
Ali Bagautinov

non sambo russian ufc roster
Aleksandra Albu
Adlan Amagov
Adam Khaliev

discuss and no mention of whitepage.
Post edited by PunchBag on
"Believe in the beard"
I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

Tagged:

Comments

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,667Free
    Sambo is alive and well
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • insertcatchyphraseinsertcatchyphrase Posts: 33Free
    edited June 2013
    Man I love that shirt as a sambo/submission grappler. I can't weight for Rogan to call one of Barnett's subs jiu jitsu when hes a catch wrestler. his submission come from top position in chains one attempt after another.. When he pulls a sub from the bottom in guard Rogan can call it whatever he wants.
    Post edited by insertcatchyphrase on
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free
    Sambo + Judo = Jumbo.
    This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • NeckCrankNeckCrank Posts: 821Free
    PunchBag said:

Sambo will take over the ufc as more and more russian fighters get added to the line up. Khabib and khabilov already showing that sambo fighters are a force to be reckoned with. so i started this thread to celebrate sambo's eventual domination of mma and the UFC.

MMA has been in russia for a long time and like brazilians and americans they already had a dominate sport that translates well to mma. sambo combining the best of both wrestling and jujitsu should obviously be the choice of art for future mma fighters looking to strengthen there standup with both wrestling and submissions.

Finally we are getting to see some of these unknown russians face off agaisnt well known fighters in the ufc and other organizations and surprisingly these russians are kicking ****.

finally i leave you with the face of Frodo "mini fedor" khasbulaev, now thats the face of a warrior.

discuss and no mention of whitepage.

frodo is a beast. cant argue against that.
    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

• WarWestWarWest Órale VatoPosts: 33,667Free

Man I love that shirt as a sambo/submission grappler. I can't weight for Rogan to call one of Barnett's subs jiu jitsu when hes a catch wrestler. his submission come from top position in chains one attempt after another.. When he pulls a sub from the bottom in guard Rogan can call it whatever he wants.

P4P post ^^^
    The Cal Ripken Of GSP hatin'
    Arch Bishop Of Anti-GSP
    The Stockton Hater
    209's So Fine
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,218Free
    I would like Sambo if the fighters used it to get there opponents down and finish them

Not if they use it to take down their opponent and hump them for 3 rounds
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,784Free
    edited June 2013
    khabib has loads of finishes on his record, trujillo was a tough opponent with amazing hips great in scramble it was amazing how he ragdolled him even if trujillo was to tricky to get into a position to sub or finish him

LeVesseur compiled an amateur wrestling record of 296–0, this guy faught trujillo and couldnt even get him to the ground, khabib did it with ease.
    "Believe in the beard"

wait till lil fedor gets in that octagon with curran hes going to take that belt
    "Believe in the beard"

PunchBag said:

khabib has loads of finishes on his record, trujillo was a tough opponent with amazing hips great in scramble it was amazing how he ragdolled him even if trujillo was to tricky to get into a position to sub or finish him

LeVesseur compiled an amateur wrestling record of 296–0, this guy faught trujillo and couldnt even get him to the ground, khabib did it with ease.

It is easy to take someone down if you aren't planning to do damage

Georges does it all the time
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edited June 2013
    then why couldnt that wrestler do it that trujillo stopped, that wrestler has a wrestling win over 2 time olympian ben askren by the way. yet he couldnt get trujillo down.
    "Believe in the beard"

PunchBag said:

then why couldnt that wrestler do it that trujillo stopped, that wrestler has a wrestling win over 2 time olympian ben askren by the way. yet he couldnt get trujillo down.

I dunno

All I know is that sambo is br00tally gay

edited June 2013
    well when khabib is fighting for the LW title and still undefeated i would say its effective and that wont be long. cant see any matchups at LW that would casue him problems except benson and melendez
    "Believe in the beard"

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,156Free
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI

This is worse than the Machida Era.

lol no
    "Believe in the beard"

sambo is better suited to mma than bjj, how many bjj guys have we seen that simply cant get fights to the ground? sambo fighters dont have that problem
    "Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013
    lol fedor would smash brock

if combat sambo was easy it would be called sambo
    "Believe in the beard"

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,173Free
    What is with that gay **** hat khabib wears to the weigh ins?

I really don't care what "martial art" these guys practice as long as they deliver good fights.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,571Free
    PunchBag said:

lol fedor would smash brock

if combat sambo was easy it would be called sambo

C'mon, Fedor was never in Brock's league. Brock won and defended the UFC HW title until he became the GOAT. Fedor just beat up bums outside the UFC
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,488Free
    PunchBag said:

sambo is better suited to mma than bjj, how many bjj guys have we seen that simply cant get fights to the ground? sambo fighters dont have that problem

No...Sambo just promotes mixing if styles more then BJJ and its instructors

Many top BJJ schools don't care to teach other arts to help with thier fighters success

If BJJ school took a passion to teach wrestling TDs as much as wrestling schools (or gyms) took to learn sub defence then BJJ would be doing alot better
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • ijosefijosef Posts: 1,635Free
    Sambo, like BJJ, is a descendent of Judo (then commonly called Kano's Jujutsu), which itself is of course a descendant of traditional (Japanese) Jujutsu/Jiu-jitsu. When Kano's version of Jujutsu was spreading across the globe, it was adopted by the Russians and synthesized into Sambo by combining some indigenous folk wrestling techniques.

Of course all the arts continue to evolve, so if you go learn Judo now (especially the sport form geared towards formal competition), it will be different than the original self-defense oriented form that Kano originally derived from the available styles traditional Japanese Jujutsu. As MMA becomes more popular and widespread, I believe the grappling styles will continue to merge. Really, there are only so many ways to position the human body into holds, locks, throws, takedowns, etc. Even though the ways are numerous, they are not infinite. If martial arts continues on its current trajectory, I believe some kids will eventually learn "grappling," which will have combined elements of freestyle & catch wrestling, BJJ, Sambo, Judo, etc.

And of course, it's as much or more about the practitioner than the art itself. That's why all those "Sambo versus BJJ" or similar videos on YouTube are so pointless. You can't judge an entire art based on the performance of one practitioner.
  • BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,488Free
    ijosef said:

Sambo, like BJJ, is a descendent of Judo (then commonly called Kano's Jujutsu), which itself is of course a descendant of traditional (Japanese) Jujutsu/Jiu-jitsu. When Kano's version of Jujutsu was spreading across the globe, it was adopted by the Russians and synthesized into Sambo by combining some indigenous folk wrestling techniques.

Of course all the arts continue to evolve, so if you go learn Judo now (especially the sport form geared towards formal competition), it will be different than the original self-defense oriented form that Kano originally derived from the available styles traditional Japanese Jujutsu. As MMA becomes more popular and widespread, I believe the grappling styles will continue to merge. Really, there are only so many ways to position the human body into holds, locks, throws, takedowns, etc. Even though the ways are numerous, they are not infinite. If martial arts continues on its current trajectory, I believe some kids will eventually learn "grappling," which will have combined elements of freestyle & catch wrestling, BJJ, Sambo, Judo, etc.

And of course, it's as much or more about the practitioner than the art itself. That's why all those "Sambo versus BJJ" or similar videos on YouTube are so pointless. You can't judge an entire art based on the performance of one practitioner.

your streak of me agreeing with you keeps on going...

A great example of this is Josh Barnett...back in the day he won ADCC without even ever putting on a GI...only using his catch wrestling he walked into that torney and killed it without training a lick of BJJ...some would say that makes catch-can better then BJJ

Later on he would go to face Big Nog who only ever had BJJ and he beat Josh Barnett...so would that not mean BJJ is better?

Also Fedor beat Big Nog and Josh so I guess Sambo is better then BJJ and Catch-Can?...No..cuz he would go on to lose to Werdum who only has BJJ

Fans need to learn that its the fighter that matters the most...put a gun in a child's hands and you get a potential killer...put a knife in a carnival worker hands and you got a killing machine
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
    edited June 2013

PunchBag said:

you judge how good an art is by their worst fighters? lmao

smh
    even royce struggled to get fighters to the ground late in his career, at mw maia also struggled agaisnt wrestlers. if maia had been training sambo instead of bjj all these years he would have been able to get it to the mat

i bwlieve combat sambo is the best base, striking wrestling and bjj. But technically its just a form of MMA with slightly different rules.

khabib was a multiple world champion at combat sambo which means hes pretty much a multiple world champion at mma since it translates well to mma.

mixed Martial Artist

M-1 Global
    M-1 Selection Championships

Sambo

World Combat Sambo Federation
    Combat Sambo World Champion (two-time)[12]
    Combat Sambo Federation of Russia
    Combat Sambo Russian National Champion.[2]

Army hand-to-hand fight

Russian Union of Martial Arts
    European "Army Hand-to-Hand Fight" Champion.

Grappling

NAGA
    Grappling World Champion 2012.

Pankration

Pankration Federation Russia
    European Pankration Champion.

wont be long before khabib adds a ufc belt to that list.
    "Believe in the beard"

• Za1994Za1994 Posts: 3,156Free
    BruteDion said:

ijosef said:

your streak of me agreeing with you keeps on going...

A great example of this is Josh Barnett...back in the day he won ADCC without even ever putting on a GI...only using his catch wrestling he walked into that torney and killed it without training a lick of BJJ...some would say that makes catch-can better then BJJ

Later on he would go to face Big Nog who only ever had BJJ and he beat Josh Barnett...so would that not mean BJJ is better?

Also Fedor beat Big Nog and Josh so I guess Sambo is better then BJJ and Catch-Can?...No..cuz he would go on to lose to Werdum who only has BJJ

Fans need to learn that its the fighter that matters the most...put a gun in a child's hands and you get a potential killer...put a knife in a carnival worker hands and you got a killing machine
    Its not the Art its the Artist.
    Been on the Anthony "Showtime" Pettis train since day one. No questions asked. Showtime Attack Force Too Strong.
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/139486/i-see-it-now-anthony-showtime-pettis-will-go-down-as-the-goat/p1
    Represent Roufusport:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 414 Reppin' the Mil
    UFC 164 Milwaukee, WI
    rare for an artist to be more important than his art.

of course it is down to the individual but sambo provides noth wrestling and bjj in 1 school it also deals with a more mma like approach to its wrestling which in turn is a much better background to come from, i would rather come from a sambo background than a bjj background or a wrestling background.
    "Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013
    my argument is that combat smabo is another form of MMA and being a world champion at it will most likely mean you will become a champion at mma since you won a sambo tournament which involves striking grappling and submissions against the best in the world at it.

"Believe in the beard"

• skullboneskullbone Posts: 1,950Free
    Oleg Taktarov approves this thread.
    Maia vs Khabib to determine which is better

I would pick Maia

• WalkLikeAWarrior707WalkLikeAWarrior707 Posts: 6,003Free
    I really like this recent draft of Russian Sambo fighters. Khabib is by far my favorite but I like Rustam Khabilov and Adlan Amagov also. I think we will definitely see a lot more Russian Sambo fighters in the UFC. I think Combat Sambo really translates well into MMA. They are very much alike. We're really seeing that with Khabib.

I've noticed a lot of them have the same kind of style. Strong grappling and wild powerful punches with some unorthodox striking. Their striking technique seems to be lacking at times but I think they make up for it with raw power and grappling.
    Legends - Bruce Lee, Genki Sudo, Joachim Hansen
    HW - JDS, Browne, Hunt, Big Nog
    LHW - Bones, Gustafsson, Jimi Manuwa, Te Huna, Gian Villante
    MW - Weidman, Cung Le, Dylan Andrews, Magnus Cedenblad
    WW - Hendricks, Condit, Robbie Lawler, Brian Foster, Erick Silva, Hyun Gyu Lim, Thatch, Sean Spencer
    LW - Pettis, Khabib, Dos Anjos, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Bobby Green, Chiesa
    FW - Conor McGregor, Korean Zombie, Frankie, Poirier, Charles Oliveria, Rony Jason
    BW - Cruz, Pickett, Vaughan Lee, Iuri Alcantara, Erik Perez, Russell Doane
    WBW - Cat Zingano
    FLY - John Lineker, Louis Smolka