Shields destroyed Woodley, in a sense.

BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 808Free
Jake Shields, the mysterious man who was on a 15 fight win streak, and only lost to GSP and #3 Jake Ellenberger in his last 20 fights is a man of wonder. After his father passed, we hath wondered thou art if thy could make oont comeback. He doth done so last nighteth. It was not impressive, it was not exciting, however, we are forgetting Woodley did nothing. He did not want to be aggressive for more then 3 10 second spurts. I thought this was a finish of Woodley ko / tko or Shields submission.
Although I blamed Woodley. Shields, we need you... to destroy Hendricks once he loses to GSP. That is all... "Anonymous"
Tagged:

Comments

• GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    He probably lost to Kampmann and his fights are always boring. If he destroys Hendricks though that would be okay with me.

• ipso_factoipso_facto Posts: 1,029Free
    I like Shields (as did I like Fitch), but he is probably on the same thin ice as Jon was. He's on that upper pay level, but whose fights are not popular. Even 1 or 2 losses...and they'll cut him.
    Favorites:

HW - M. Mitrione, C. Velasquez

LHW - K. Soszynski, A. Johnson

MW - B. Stann, T. Credeur

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,589Free

Jake Shields, the mysterious man who was on a 15 fight win streak, and only lost to GSP and #3 Jake Ellenberger in his last 20 fights is a man of wonder. After his father passed, we hath wondered thou art if thy could make oont comeback. He doth done so last nighteth. It was not impressive, it was not exciting, however, we are forgetting Woodley did nothing. He did not want to be aggressive for more then 3 10 second spurts. I thought this was a finish of Woodley ko / tko or Shields submission.
    Although I blamed Woodley. Shields, we need you... to destroy Hendricks once he loses to GSP. That is all... "Anonymous"

Pillow fisted bum?

Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    i didnt get to see that fight

im glad i didnt. seems like shields tried to fitch out another win but failed hard while doing so
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car

i didnt get to see that fight

im glad i didnt. seems like shields tried to fitch out another win but failed hard while doing so

I wished i could say the same...

Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,004Free
    Shields will be cut like Fitch because he sucks, not because of his pay.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013
    waikru said:

Shields is at the exact same pay level as Fitch was (75K show/75K win), which was in fact one of the reasons that White cited for firing him.

UFC 161 Fighter Salaries:

http://www.mma-manifesto.com/2013-articles/june/ufc-161-fighter-salaries-attendance-gate.html

Not gonna post a thread, but take a good look at what the chicken feed show money some of these mid - top level fighters are making. :-&
    Post edited by ipso_facto on
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    I wanted Woodley to win so bad but he looked like he was in a trance

But every thing he landed was so Sig. Though it was frustrating. (Leg kicks)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,879Free
    Keem said:

I wanted Woodley to win so bad but he looked like he was in a trance

But every thing he landed was so Sig. Though it was frustrating. (Leg kicks)

Woodley's quads frighten children.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!

waikru said:

Shields is at the exact same pay level as Fitch was (75K show/75K win), which was in fact one of the reasons that White cited for firing him.

http://www.mma-manifesto.com/2013-articles/june/ufc-161-fighter-salaries-attendance-gate.html

Not gonna post a thread, but take a good look at what the chicken feed show money some of these mid - top level fighters are making. :-&
    He fired Fitch because he was on the downside of his career. If he had a winning record, he would have been resigned.

"Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013
    waikru said:

waikru said:

He fired Fitch because he was on the downside of his career. If he had a winning record, he would have been resigned.
    Do I really need to post White's media scrum rant where he states on 2 different occasions the fact that they were "paying him a ton of money"?

As far as Fitch's so called losing record,..he has one of the winningest records in UFC history.
    Post edited by ipso_facto on
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,839Free
    shields brings dull to every fight
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• DaPhreshnessDaPhreshness Posts: 84Free
    edited June 2013
    Just because he's not the most exciting fighter, people are writing Shields off way too much. He's 17-2 in the last seven years or so, and it would be 18-2 if pot wasn't regulated so strictly (presumably). He's beaten Yushin Okami, Carlos Condit, Mike Pyle, Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Martin Kampmann, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Ed Herman (sort of), Tyron Woodley, and Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Akiyama was the only person he beat that didn't come into their fight against with him with some serious momentum going on too. And as for the two fights he lost: he was the first person to even win a round against Georges St. Pierre in more than three years, and he fought Ellenberger less than three weeks after his father (and long-time coach) died. Kampmann was the only one of his eighteen victims who even made their fights with him competitive. Shields grappling isn't flashy and his standup seems silly, but that doesn't take away from how he's straight-up dominated the vast majority of the top-level people he's fought.
    Post edited by DaPhreshness on
    Favorite Fighters by Division:

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Minotauro Nogueira/Matt Mitrione
    edited June 2013
    by beaten you mean stalled? he doesnt submit or ko guys, the shots he was landing on woodley wouldnt even hurt a child, he was doing it to score points.

hes the kind of fighter mma can do without, they essentially use the scoring system to win bouts but they dont actually fight, they just show holes were the rule system needs to be changed up
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

Just because he's not the most exciting fighter, people are writing Shields off way too much. He's 17-2 in the last seven years or so, and it would be 18-2 if pot wasn't regulated so strictly (presumably). He's beaten Yushin Okami, Carlos Condit, Mike Pyle, Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Martin Kampmann, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Ed Herman (sort of), Tyron Woodley, and Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Akiyama was the only person he beat that didn't come into their fight against with him with some serious momentum going on too. And as for the two fights he lost: he was the first person to even win a round against Georges St. Pierre in more than three years, and he fought Ellenberger less than three weeks after his father (and long-time coach) died. Kampmann was the only one of his eighteen victims who even made their fights with him competitive. Shields grappling isn't flashy and his standup seems silly, but that doesn't take away from how he's straight-up dominated the vast majority of the top-level people he's fought.

He also beat both Diego and Fitch in ADCC grappling tournaments.
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
    PunchBag said:

by beaten you mean stalled? he doesnt submit or ko guys, the shots he was landing on woodley wouldnt even hurt a child, he was doing it to score points.

hes the kind of fighter mma can do without, they essentially use the scoring system to win bouts but they dont actually fight, they just show holes were the rule system needs to be changed up

He's a point fighter, sure (or at least he's become one), but MMA needs fighters like him as much as we need ones who stand and bang bro. If you want to be some reinvented powerhouse like Tyron Woodley looked like he was becoming, and you can't even stop Jake Shields from hitting you with a nonstop barrage of dainty little switch kicks, then you clearly need to step his game up. Shield's game isn't the problem there - two people make a fight, not one, and Woodley looked monstrous for about five seconds and then just sat back without pushing Shields into any sort of uncomfortable territory.

Even exciting fighters with exciting styles like Donald Cerrone can be lax during fights where they aren't even remotely challenged by the other guy, just look at his fight against Vagner Rocha. Shields happens to have a boring kind of style and doesn't push the pace as much as a lot of other fighters do, but his fights would be more exciting if more of his opponents were able to threaten him.

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson
    edited June 2013

PunchBag said:

He's a point fighter, sure (or at least he's become one), but MMA needs fighters like him as much as we need ones who stand and bang bro. If you want to be some reinvented powerhouse like Tyron Woodley looked like he was becoming, and you can't even stop Jake Shields from hitting you with a nonstop barrage of dainty little switch kicks, then you clearly need to step his game up. Shield's game isn't the problem there - two people make a fight, not one, and Woodley looked monstrous for about five seconds and then just sat back without pushing Shields into any sort of uncomfortable territory.

Even exciting fighters with exciting styles like Donald Cerrone can be lax during fights where they aren't even remotely challenged by the other guy, just look at his fight against Vagner Rocha. Shields happens to have a boring kind of style and doesn't push the pace as much as a lot of other fighters do, but his fights would be more exciting if more of his opponents were able to threaten him.

but woodley could have learned that lesson by being in a fight with someone who would actually put on an exciting fight.

a lesson shouldnt have to be learned at the expense of the people paying money to see the fight.

shields will end up getting himself cut because the ufc will not want to pay a guy they have to put on the prelims top money because nobody wants to see his boring ****.

you have to remember all shields trains is how to point strike and win decisions, he is bound to be better at it than the guys who train to win via a finish or put on an exciting fight because its his speciality.

Put shields in boxing match with wandy however and he would get kod because the tools he utilizes in mma to stall and win decisions wouldnt work.
    Post edited by PunchBag on
    "Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013

waikru said:

waikru said:

Do I really need to post White's media scrum rant where he states on 2 different occasions the fact that they were "paying him a ton of money"?

As far as Fitch's so called losing record,..he has one of the winningest records in UFC history.
    You can't win the argument on why Fitch got fired. Would he have fired Fitch if he had a 4-0 record in his last four fights? No! He got fired because his record was 1-2-1 in his last four fights. I guess it is you contention that they should keep figters around strictly based of ther performances from 3+ years ago. His recent loss in the minor leagues just further validates that he doesn't belong in the UFC.

Here is a quote from Dana White. Notice how his pay is not mentioned not even once.

“I have nothing against Jon Fitch, I never did. It was all hyped up (expletive),” White said about the former UFC fighter when speaking to the media following the conclusion of UFC 161. “I think Jon Fitch used it as a little bit of ammo when he got cut and tried to spin it that I hated him and all this other stuff, which was complete (expletive). I felt that Jon Fitch was on the downside of his career.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-president-dana-white-admits-he-was-wrong-about-jon-fitch
    Post edited by waikru on

"Believe in the beard"

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free

do u think shields will ever get back to where he was? as u mentioned he had a 15-fight win streak and held his own against gsp. i'm wondering if he could ever get back there

Shield's UFC record is 3-2-0-1. His wins aganist Kampman and Akiyama was debatable. The Ed Herman fight was a no contest because he had "something" in his system that he wasn't suppose to have. His record prior to entering the UFC was against mostly unknown fighters. Okami and Condit were not even at their peak when they fought and Henderson was suffering from a bad weight cut. Fans need to stop obsessing over a fighters record as being the measure of a fighter instead of their actual performance in a fight.

"Believe in the beard"

waikru said:

Shield's UFC record is 3-2-0-1. His wins aganist Kampman and Akiyama was debatable. The Ed Herman fight was a no contest because he had "something" in his system that he wasn't suppose to have. His record prior to entering the UFC was against mostly unknown fighters. Okami and Condit were not even at their peak when they fought and Henderson was suffering from a bad weight cut. Fans need to stop obsessing over a fighters record as being the measure of a fighter instead of their actual performance in a fight.
    And those two losses are to top 5 welterweights, top 3 actually. And while the Kampmann fight was close, you had to just be blindly clinging to the words of Joe Rogan to have even thought Akiyama won that fight. It's not even about the numerical aspect of his record, it's about who he beat. He wasn't fighting nobodies, he was fighting name opponents and almost all of them had momentum going into their fights against him. It was a legit winning streak.

Hendo's fans can make all the excuses they want too, he got destroyed.

Liz Carmouche
    Tim Elliott
    Eddie Wineland
    Frankie Edgar
    Melvin Guillard/TJ Grant
    Mike Pierce
    Michael Bisping
    Alexander Gustafsson

waikru said:

And those two losses are to top 5 welterweights, top 3 actually. And while the Kampmann fight was close, you had to just be blindly clinging to the words of Joe Rogan to have even thought Akiyama won that fight. It's not even about the numerical aspect of his record, it's about who he beat. He wasn't fighting nobodies, he was fighting name opponents and almost all of them had momentum going into their fights against him. It was a legit winning streak.

Hendo's fans can make all the excuses they want too, he got destroyed.
    He hasn't beaten anybody convincingly in years but has no problem at convincingly losing. Here is what was written about the Akiyama fight that you claim is so cut and dry.

"Jake Shields won a hard-fought unanimous decision over Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 144, getting stronger as the fight went on and ending up victorious after 15 minutes.

All three judges scored it 30-27 for Shields, but it was closer than those scores suggest: Akiyama easily could have won the first or second rounds, although Shields definitely won the third."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/2/25/2825071/ufc-144-results-jake-shields-beats-yoshihiro-akiyama

You forgot to mention all of his opponents during his cool fifteen fight winning streak.

Toby Imada
    Dave Menne
    Steve Berger
    Ray Steinbeiss
    Ido Pariente
    Renato Verissimo

Hendo has lost many fights but never claimed to have bad weight cut unitil that fight. Interesting

"Believe in the beard"

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free

I like Shields (as did I like Fitch), but he is probably on the same thin ice as Jon was. He's on that upper pay level, but whose fights are not popular. Even 1 or 2 losses...and they'll cut him.

Yep sadly that is not what the SPORT side of things is about,Dana is more worried about the business side of things.
    The 170 division is far too stacked,you cannot fight sloppy or you will lose and one loss you could be out.
    We all know it is about money,i mean if he cut Fitch because he was on the way down how about koscheck lol,even Josh admits he will never beat GSp so he is definitely out unless he agrees to fight for peanuts.

Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

You can't win the argument on why Fitch got fired. Would he have fired Fitch if he had a 4-0 record in his last four fights? No! He got fired because his record was 1-2-1 in his last four fights. I guess it is you contention that they should keep figters around strictly based of ther performances from 3+ years ago. His recent loss in the minor leagues just further validates that he doesn't belong in the UFC.

Here is a quote from Dana White. Notice how his pay is not mentioned not even once.

“I have nothing against Jon Fitch, I never did. It was all hyped up (expletive),” White said about the former UFC fighter when speaking to the media following the conclusion of UFC 161. “I think Jon Fitch used it as a little bit of ammo when he got cut and tried to spin it that I hated him and all this other stuff, which was complete (expletive). I felt that Jon Fitch was on the downside of his career.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-president-dana-white-admits-he-was-wrong-about-jon-fitch
    FF to 15:37

I'm not sure why you're even arguing this point?? Although White tried his hardest to make Fitch's recent record part of the reason for firing him...it did not wash with ANY of the media (pissing White off even more). He was fired for his high pay and boring reputation for ppv draws. In short, he was fired over money. His recent record had nothing to do with it...his 2 losses weren't even consecutive.

Are you a Penn fan? His recent record is atrocious! As well, his fights aren't anymore exciting than Fitch or Shields, and they also pay him a ton of money...but his fan base and ppv draw is more substantial...so they keep him on. In reality, he's a washed up can.

Fight record and ranking have little to do with whether someone is cut or not. With the UFC, it is ALL about how much money they pay you...compared to how much money they can make off of you.
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

I'm not sure why you're even arguing this point?? Although White tried his hardest to make Fitch's recent record part of the reason for firing him...it did not wash with ANY of the media (pissing White off even more). He was fired for his high pay and boring reputation for ppv draws. In short, he was fired over money. His recent record had nothing to do with it...his 2 losses weren't even consecutive.

Are you a Penn fan? His recent record is atrocious! As well, his fights aren't anymore exciting than Fitch or Shields, and they also pay him a ton of money...but his fan base and ppv draw is more substantial...so they keep him on. In reality, he's a washed up can.

Fight record and ranking have little to do with whether someone is cut or not. With the UFC, it is ALL about how much money they pay you...compared to how much money they can make off of you.
    You didn't prove anything. His record was the primary reason for him going, which is why it was mentioned first. Of course a guy with a losing record making more money will be out before one that makes less. That should be just common sense.

Fitch was always been boring and has been making good money for a little while. If it was all about the money as you claim, then they would have never offered him that contract in the first place.

"Believe in the beard"

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

You didn't prove anything. His record was the primary reason for him going, which is why it was mentioned first. Of course a guy with a losing record making more money will be out before one that makes less. That should be just common sense.

Fitch was always been boring and has been making good money for a little while. If it was all about the money as you claim, then they would have never offered him that contract in the first place.
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on this entire forum to agree with you. With the UFC, making money and paying as little as possible is 1st priority...being a sport comes 2nd.
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
  • SteelerNation43SteelerNation43 Posts: 12,654Free

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on this entire forum to agree with you. With the UFC, making money and paying as little as possible is 1st priority...being a sport comes 2nd.
    If you were right about them "paying as little as possible" then they wouldn't have discretionary bonus' and they sure as **** wouldn't have FOTN, KOTN, and SOTN bonus'.

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

waikru said:

If you were right about them "paying as little as possible" then they wouldn't have discretionary bonus' and they sure as **** wouldn't have FOTN, KOTN, and SOTN bonus'.
    Discretionary bonuses are handed out to select fighters behind closed doors so that those fighters will keep their mouth shut with regards to complaints by other fighters of the low wages. The UFC is not stupid. Discretionary bonuses are a deliberate tactic on their part...and it's obviously working.
    Favorites:

WW - M. Brown, M. Pyle

LW - J. Lauzon, N. Diaz

FW - F. Edgar, D. Siver

BW - D. Cruz, U. Faber
    I rather read Rousey's new book, than all of these long a** shields post's!!! Misses Shields is a Can!!!