Jon Jones only fight's 185's and retirees? Why is he #2 P4P...

BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 802Free
edited June 2013 in UFC
Lyoto Machida walks around 205, weighs in at 201, only fights in 205 for respect for Silva.
Belfort, juiced up cheater who is 185.
Chael Sonnen, 185.
Shogun, on his way out.
Quinton, cut and can't do anything but slug within a foot of you.
Hamill, retired.
Gusmao, Who?

Looks to me the only good fighters he beat that are his size are Rashad (who I dislike, but I'm a realist) and arguably Lyoto, who destroys far larger guys, but is not a 205.
Seems to me he's getting a free ride... Silva's division is bad, but dam... at least Silva fights guys his own size and 205's and wins. Jon Jones # 2 = Dana sucks how much?
Post edited by Beanslegend on

Jon Jones only fight's 185's and retirees? Why is he #2 P4P...

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 802Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #3 - #10
    Sorry forgot to put a not in the #10 P4P.
    I think he is # 15 P4P
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 741Free
    He is similar in this respect to Silva, he is really good, but his opponents elevate them to even higher status. If Machida had the same size/reach I'm positive the outcome of the fight would have been very different. And Shogun keeps pulling guard and goes for heellocks against the most lethal g'n'p guy? Pffft...etc.
  • HAD0K3NHAD0K3N Posts: 765Free
    I do agree that the major reason that john looks so good is that he is fighting smaller guys,despite being a heavyweight fighting middleweight.

but also this is what i have a problem with is that he has trouble spectacularly finishing fights he is quite boring to watch and doesn't seem to to achieve a flash ko's but rather grinds it down to a stoppage by utilising the size advantage why he is thought to be such a devastating knock out striker is beyond me.

anderson woul put him on dream street jmo
    Biyootched
  • JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    Jon Jones is the biggest guy in the ufc

he makes hws look small. but when you're as much of a cowardly pedophile as jbj is you need to fight smaller men. just like gaySP
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,562Free

Lyoto Machida walks around 205, weighs in at 201, only fights in 205 for respect for Silva.
    Chael Sonnen, 185.
    Shogun, on his way out.
    Hamill, retired.
    Gusmao, Who?

Looks to me the only good fighters he beat that are his size are Rashad (who I dislike, but I'm a realist) and arguably Lyoto, who destroys far larger guys, but is not a 205.
    Seems to me he's getting a free ride... Silva's division is bad, but dam... at least Silva fights guys his own size and 205's and wins. Jon Jones # 2 = Dana sucks how much?

JAIL HIM!

Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,286Free
    gsp is #2

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #2

gsp is #2

The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • 2006Man2006Man Posts: 235Free
    GSP is definitely above jon jones
  • liquid2metalliquid2metal Posts: 306Free
    I'll consider him P4P when he beats Glover & Moose
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our Fedor in heaven, hallowed be your sambo, your combos come. Your Kimora be done on the street, as it is in the ring. Give us today our daily sparring, and forgive us the overtraining we have done as we forgive those who knock us out. Subject us not to the trial but deliver us from Werdum. Remember that Fedor got triangled for your sins...

- Fedor - Roy Nelson - Lyoto Machida - Glover Texeira - Chael Sonnen - Nick Diaz - Carlos Condit -
    - Tarec Saffiedine - Nate Diaz - Gilbert Melendez - Frankie Edgar - Anthony Pettis - Ricardo Lamas -

Train by day, piss-off Shannon & Pack by night! All day!
    Jon Jones rightfully #2

I'll consider him P4P when he beats Glover & Moose

Moose isn't going to even crack the top 5, let alone get a shot at Jones
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Oh.....just another JBJ hater. I understand, cuz I hate A Silva.
  • FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,044Free
    edited June 2013
    Jones is a great fighter but honestly imo a huuuuuge part of it is his physique. Especially his length, obviously.. but also the fact that he combines this ridiculous frame to youth and so to athleticism that is unrivaled among other top 205'ers.

His creativity and unorthodox style sure add to the package but his skills themselves are sloppy and amateurish (well.. not really amateurish but really not world class.. I really wouldn't rate his BJJ or stand up game any good as a professional in either discipline.. and it is a fact that he started training both aspects only a few years ago while many of the guys he faces have been doing it for way longer). His BJJ is nothing great. His striking is really sloppy. Of course he's getting better. But the only thing he has that really stands out is his wrestling.. And imo alot of it has to do with his size, again.. Because his ridiculous limbs make it downright impossible for his opponents to protect their legs while keeping a good balance.. he can get a grip of their legs from way too far.

That's why I have a real hard time considering him as a P4P candidate.. Just as I would've had huge problems considering Brock a top P4P if he had had a long reign.. And it is true that he has not been facing anyone even close to his own size..

Because he is young I also suspect that he must be cutting alot of weight.. I would assume that he must be cutting at least 25 pounds.. though I don't have sources for it.. just looking at him dwarf his opponents seem to make it clear that he's heavier than them on fight night.. and alot bigger..

The day Jones will step up at HW and fight guys who weight 235-245 lbs and win dominantly then I'll start considering him as a good candidate..

Only thing is that although he's a bit too big for 205 imo he's still too small for HW right now.. as he gets a little older he'll pack mass and will become a legit HW.
    Post edited by Furiousmat on
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,235Free
    Jones isn't p4p, he is much bigger than the guys he fights
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #2
    No ill will intended..

But this argument doesn't hold any weight imho

The majority of the guys he fought where former lhw champs; them being lighter than most lhw's just shows how superior they are to the masses..
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #2
    If you judge P4P purely based on who a fighter has fought Anderson Silva wouldn't even be top 10. Luckily a lot more is taken into account like making a once strong division look weak single handedly and fighting more often yearly then Silva and GSP combined. Not to mention being overly dominant.

But of course none of this matters because he made my favorite fighter Shogun look like an amateur or insert whatever other excuse fits you best.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,793Free
    blame anderson silva for scaring all the MWs into moving to LHW
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #2
    PunchBag said:

Lol nice try the MW division has always been a joke even before Anderson came along. He walks around as a LHW anyways so could have fought them at will. Granted he's amazing at opening cans but a can opener nonetheless.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• liquid2metalliquid2metal Posts: 306Free
    Ok let's find out who's a hater.
    Throw them reasons on here.
    Don't be scared, homies!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our Fedor in heaven, hallowed be your sambo, your combos come. Your Kimora be done on the street, as it is in the ring. Give us today our daily sparring, and forgive us the overtraining we have done as we forgive those who knock us out. Subject us not to the trial but deliver us from Werdum. Remember that Fedor got triangled for your sins...

- Fedor - Roy Nelson - Lyoto Machida - Glover Texeira - Chael Sonnen - Nick Diaz - Carlos Condit -
    - Tarec Saffiedine - Nate Diaz - Gilbert Melendez - Frankie Edgar - Anthony Pettis - Ricardo Lamas -

Train by day, piss-off Shannon & Pack by night! All day!
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,385Free
    Jon Jones rightfully #2
    PunchBag said:

^This.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free
    What is going to happen on here if Jones moves up and starts beating decent HW's?

There will be astronomical butthurt.

Mind you I can't see that happening.

And I guess he will stay at LHW as long as he possibly can. The LHW division would be so much more interesting without him in it IMHO.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    Jon Jones rightfully #2
    Tahune said:

And I guess he will stay at LHW as long as he possibly can. The LHW division would be so much more interesting without him in it IMHO.

Same could be said for 185, 170, 145, and 125

• DiconimusDiconimus Posts: 80Free

Chael Sonnen, 185.
    Shogun, on his way out.
    Hamill, retired.
    Gusmao, Who?

Go take your Meds,Medric.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    GoToGuy said:

Its not just who you fight but HOW you fight. He is rightfully number 2.

You extend your 85 inch reach against your opponent with a 74 inch reach, do some fancy moves this distance allows you to, without actually being even close of KOing someone in the standup, despite the unreal reach advantage (!). And then you use the opportunity in the clinch where you dwarf your opponent with your size and overpower him into a win?

That's lame. Jones has shown nothing so far other than bullying smaller guys.

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,881Free
    Cormier>Jones
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    a 25-year old youngest world champ ever who is undefeated really deserves to be insulted on his fighting ability...yeah...

let's be honest though, no bias either way

his first fights were outside of the UFC and he won them all via extremely early stoppage

his first UFC fights were all amazing and it was hard to believe it was a 20-year old dominating veterans like matyushenko, hammill, and bonnar the way he did

his fights against Bader and Shogun were extremely impressive. bader was undefeated going into their fight and jones beat him like it was nothing. shogun was coming off an incredible career and KO over the unstoppable machida, and jones beat him like it was nothing

his next fights were rampage, machida, rashad, vitor, and chael. in these fights he was starting to finally get some flack, but still managed to WIN every single fight and the vitor fight showed he had some serious heart and would not give up.

his most impressive wins were probably vitor and machida, and it's hard to discount a win over rashad seeing as though people say he only wins fights for a size advantage
  • kyo_sakyo_sa Posts: 1,065Free
    the jones hate isnt blind

when hes in hw where he belongs and can beat guys the same size, he will get a lot less hate. right now, i dont think he belongs in a convo with cain anderson and gsp personally
  • SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    kyo_sa said:

when hes in hw where he belongs and can beat guys the same size, he will get a lot less hate. right now, i dont think he belongs in a convo with cain anderson and gsp personally

it's blind

a 25-year old who has never lost and taken out every LHW challenger in his way like they are nothing

for people to have a plethora of INSULTS to throw at a guy who accomplished that, and then say that's justified "hate," it's pretty obvious that it's completely unwarranted. he never lost and he's champ...what's there to say!
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free
    Sisti said:

kyo_sa said:

it's blind

a 25-year old who has never lost and taken out every LHW challenger in his way like they are nothing

for people to have a plethora of INSULTS to throw at a guy who accomplished that, and then say that's justified "hate," it's pretty obvious that it's completely unwarranted. he never lost and he's champ...what's there to say!
    He's a gigantic light-heavyweight (heavyweight) fighting middleweights. He's definitely not P4P, relies too much on size and P4P assumes the fighters are of the same size.