Weight

waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free
I have been seeing a lot of talk about fighters being too big for their weight class but how do we make that determintion? In general, I think every fighter could compete in up to three weight classes; either his minimum, median, and maximum effective weight. Obviously fighters that compete in the heavyweight or flyweight divisions could be limited to two or even one. Therefore, I think it should be relatively easy to suggest whether somebody is too small or too large for a weight class judging by the fighters ability to compete at heavier or lighter weight classes without drastically transforming their body.

Which fighters do you think compete at the heaviest end of their effective weight class and which ones compete at their lighter effective weight class?
On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

Tagged:

Comments

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    waikru said:

Which fighters do you think compete at the heaviest end of their effective weight class and which ones compete at their lighter effective weight class?

Anderson Silva, Thiago Alves, and Bendo are probably the best weight cutters (meaning they cut the most weight and still hit the right weight on weighin day)

The smallest weight cutters are probably machida (or anyone that is purposely avoiding a division whose champ is a friend) and HW guys like DC Cain JDS etc. who don't need to cut any weight to stay in their division
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free
    I would say Jon Jones is probably competing at the heaviest end of ther effective weight class because I know their is no way he could make MW. I would probably say that Frankie Edgar is competing at his median effective weight class because he claims that he cut no weight to make LW, which means he cuts only ten pounds currently. Cain Velasquez cuts no weight, so he is easily competing at the lowest end of his effective weight class.

"Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013

If you're bigger than half the Heavyweight division and fighting middleweights, you're too big for your weightclass.

Sisti said:

sisti said:

if they don't like the fighter, he's too big for their weight class

Post edited by Sisti on
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,654Free
    edited June 2013
    Jones is one of my favorite fighters
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
    Sisti said:

waikru said:

I have been seeing a lot of talk about fighters being too big for their weight class but how do we make that determintion?

if they like the fighter, he's not too big for their weight class
    if they don't like the fighter, he's too big for their weight class
    Thats usually the way it is, but I think we can pulll truth from all of this hate and fanboy love.

"Believe in the beard"

Jones is one of my least favorite fighters

If you're bigger than half the Heavyweight division and fighting middleweights, you're too big for your weightclass.

LMFAO

"Believe in the beard"

edited June 2013

I make Nate Marquardt flustered by asking the hard questions

Post edited by Sisti on
    waikru said:

I would say Jon Jones is probably competing at the heaviest end of ther effective weight class because I know their is no way he could make MW.

if that's your critieria i'd say bigfoot is competing at the heaviest end because I KNOW there is no way he could make LHW
    Sisti said:

waikru said:

I would say Jon Jones is probably competing at the heaviest end of ther effective weight class because I know their is no way he could make MW.

if that's your critieria i'd say bigfoot is competing at the heaviest end because I KNOW there is no way he could make LHW
    I beg to differ. He's already scheduled in a #1 contender's bout against Thiago Silva

Sisti said:

waikru said:

I beg to differ. He's already scheduled in a #1 contender's bout against Thiago Silva
    lmao
    edited June 2013
    Sisti said:

waikru said:

Anderson Silva, Thiago Alves, and Bendo are probably the best weight cutters (meaning they cut the most weight and still hit the right weight on weighin day)

The smallest weight cutters are probably machida (or anyone that is purposely avoiding a division whose champ is a friend) and HW guys like DC Cain JDS etc. who don't need to cut any weight to stay in their division
    I agree that Alves are at their maximum effective weight class because hes had major difficulties in making weight at 170. I further agree that Bendo is probably at the maximum range because I just don't think he could cut any more weight without cutting muscle mass. However, Anderson fought and won at title at 168 lbs, so I think he is at his median effective range. Furthermore, his weight in his last LHW bout was 202 lbs. and his weight at his last MW bout was 184 lbs.

I agree with your statement revolving around HWs because they are typically in their minimum effective weight range except fighters like Lesnar and Carwin who reportedly cut weight to make 265lbs.
    Post edited by waikru on

"Believe in the beard"

Sisti said:

waikru said:

I doesn't work cleanly for the HW division because there is a 60 lb range. However, it should work well for the other weight classes.

"Believe in the beard"

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,843Free
    Sisti said:

waikru said:

Anderson cuts, like, 10lbs to make 185 after his camp. No way is he one of the biggest cutters. You can't assess cutting weight by walk-around weight. Rampage balloons up to 250lbs sometimes, does that mean he sheds 45lbs on weigh-in day? Anderson and his people always say he's around 196lbs heading into fight week when he fights at MW. Dude NEVER looks dehydrated or drawn out. Can't say the same for Sonnen.

GSP, by all accounts, cuts twice that amount: 20-25lbs. That's probably the safest high limit for guys know how to do it properly. Jones cuts around that amount, as well.
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free
    Jones prefer's the advantage he has over much smaller 205'ers.

Can
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,531Free
    Lightweight seems to have some really big weight cutters. Pat Healy, TJ Grant, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson, Gleison Tibau and a few others are 180-190 lbs

Lightweight seems to have some really big weight cutters. Pat Healy, TJ Grant, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson, Gleison Tibau and a few others are 180-190 lbs

I've noticed that too.

"Believe in the beard"

since we're on the topic, i have a question i feel like i should throw out there

why do people not get on people for weight cutting the same way they do for people using TRT? doesn't it negate the whole purpose of weight classes if someone cheats the system and cuts 20 pounds to make weight and then gains it all the day after?

also, when did this trend of excessively cutting weight start? who was the first guy to go public about their walk around weight being significantly higher than the weight class they are in?
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,406Free
    Sisti said:

since we're on the topic, i have a question i feel like i should throw out there

why do people not get on people for weight cutting the same way they do for people using TRT? doesn't it negate the whole purpose of weight classes if someone cheats the system and cuts 20 pounds to make weight and then gains it all the day after?

also, when did this trend of excessively cutting weight start? who was the first guy to go public about their walk around weight being significantly higher than the weight class they are in?

Cutting weight is legal regardless of the situation. If GSP wants to cut 40 pounds to fight at 170 (only outside of Canada) then he is allowed. TRT is a another situation that you can't compare to cutting weight because it is only legal if you are granted an exemption from the athletic commision. People will still cry about TrT users but only when they win. Notice how nobody was crying about TrT users until Vitor started knocking heads off. You can't compare weight cutting and TrT.

No idea who the first guy was to come out about cutting a ton of weight.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

Cutting weight is legal regardless of the situation. If GSP wants to cut 40 pounds to fight at 170 (only outside of Canada) then he is allowed. TRT is a another situation that you can't compare to cutting weight because it is only legal if you are granted an exemption from the athletic commision. People will still cry about TrT users but only when they win. Notice how nobody was crying about TrT users until Vitor started knocking heads off. You can't compare weight cutting and TrT.

I'm confused...why can't you compare weight cutting and TRT? Both seem to give you a physical advantage over an opponent, and both are within the rules.

I agree with the TRT thing though. No one was complaining about Hendo being on TRT saturday because he LOST

Similar to the fact that no one complains about Thiago Alves mammoth weight cutting cuz he still loses. It takes more than one thing to be a champ
    Everybody can cut weight, only certain people can inject themselves with steroids legally.
    PoloRidah said:

Sisti said:

To be fair, weight cutting is being used so that a fighter can be larger than his or her opponent come fight night.

"Believe in the beard"

waikru said:

i agree with sisti.

thanks man

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free
    If the fighter feel's comfortable after cutting weight then that's fine. I don't want to see a fighter all dehydrated and deathly looking just to make weight on what they think is an easier division. I think they should base it on a fighter's natural bodyweight.
  • MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    If you make weight, you're not too big for your weight class. Any other speculation is a waste of brainpower.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Megasoup said:

If you make weight, you're not too big for your weight class. Any other speculation is a waste of brainpower.

This discussion is not about whether or not someone is too big for their weight classes. I would suggest reading the OP.

"Believe in the beard"