Silva's UFC fights...how many have ppl given his opponent a shot?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
Leben - no one really knew silva yet so I'm assuming they thought Leben could win
Franklin 1 - Franklin was undisputed champ so I'm assuming ppl gave Franklin a good shot at winning
Lutter - no one gave him a shot
Marquardt - nope
Franklin 2 - nope
Hendo - ppl likely gave hendo a shot
Irvin - no
Cote - no
Leites - no
Griffin - no
Maia - no
Sonnen 1 - sonnen had an awful record going into this one and people thought it was another easy win for silva
Vitor - some ppl gave vitor a shot since he came off a great win and silva came off a tough match win sonnen
Okami - no
Sonnen 2 - yes, because of how well sonnen did in the first fight
Bonnar - definitely no

so it looks like once silva was established, there were only 3 fights that people thought could be competitive (sonnen2, hendo, and vitor). weidman is prob the 4th one, but the big difference is that silva is now 38 and weidman is the perfect stylistic matchup
Tagged:

Comments

• MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
    I would have given some of his opponents a shot of tequila.
    Member of the People's Freedom Movement

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free
    They all have a chance to beat Anderson, it's just that Anderson is a better fighter so the probability of him winning is much higher.

Of course there will be a time where an Anderson 2.0 will rise but that will be when Anderson is long gone.

It will take another Anderson to beat him and nothing less.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,654Free
    Identity said:

They all have a chance to beat Anderson, it's just that Anderson is a better fighter so the probability of him winning is much higher.

Of course there will be a time where an Anderson 2.0 will rise but that will be when Anderson is long gone.

It will take another Anderson to beat him and nothing less.

Or perhaps something more than an Anderson Silva... a Chris Weidman
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    i thought bonnar had a chance because of how durable and difficult to stop he is, also his size.
    boy was i wrong.
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free
    PunchBag said:

i thought bonnar had a chance because of how durable and difficult to stop he is, also his size.
    boy was i wrong.

bonnar/silva was one of the most mismatched UFC bouts in history
  • MIRKO_CRO_COPMIRKO_CRO_COP Posts: 9,345Free
    can't believe how overrated weidman is.

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free
    Sisti said:

PunchBag said:

boy was i wrong.

bonnar/silva was one of the most mismatched UFC bouts in history
    He was considerably larger than Silva and had a reach advantage. When you couple this with the fact that he is durable and has a good juitsu game, its not difficult to believe that he had a chance.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    Silva vs Weidman is a great fight.
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,326Free
    edited June 2013
    Leben - I knew who Silva was and i knew he'd destroy Leben
    Franklin - I knew Silva would tool him i just didn't think it would be in the clinch
    Lutter - I actually gave Lutter a shot because of his excellent bjj. Too bad he had the most horrible cut of his career and gassed early.
    Marquardt - Yeah i knew Silva would tool him
    Franklin 2 - See above
    Hendo - A small shot. I thought he could maybe pull off a GnP UD clinic or very low chance land an H-bomb
    Irvin - Agreed no way Irvin wins that fight.
    Cote - I actually though Cote could be a danger with his overhand right which was pretty boss a one point but his knee had other plans and it was
    a long shot anyway
    Leites - Longshot chance he takes him down. Definitely a threat on the ground.
    Griffin - Hell nah
    Maia - Definitely a threat on the ground. Despite how many people hated Silva's antics he played that fight just right.
    Sonnen - I though he might have a chance to UD but he suprized me how easily he dominated this match. Silva played a really smart game of possum though.
    Vitor - Definitely a punchers change but i felt he had a better shot than Hendo. Vitor's ground game is very under rated as well.
    Okami - Yeah i knew Okami had nothing for him
    Sonnen 2 - I thought Chael would lose again but i also felt he'd do much better than that and even threaten some guard passes and arm triangles early because of his training with Magalhaes but he never really got it going.
    Bonnar - I knew he'd tool Bonnar.

Weidman: He has the tools and a chance to defeat Silva if he brings his A game and Silva is a little off but i think the only way he beats Andy is pulling off a submission early and i don't see that happening at all.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
  • CaptainSupermanCaptainSuperman Posts: 10,101Free
    Silva haters gave each and everyone of those guys a shot
    I gave Vitor a decent shot and Sonnen too. Weidman is the most well rounded he's faced though
  • carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,400Free

I gave Vitor a decent shot and Sonnen too. Weidman is the most well rounded he's faced though

no he's not

Hendo/Vitor are
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
    edited June 2013

Vitor is more well rounded imo ( he just doesn't fight that way unfortunately ). Chris is not a good striker. His wrestling is top notch and his jitz is good though.
    I only thought Hendo/Vitor/Chael were threats
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitor is more well rounded imo ( he just doesn't fight that way unfortunately ). Chris is not a good striker. His wrestling is top notch and his jitz is good though.
    I think Weidman would submit Belfort in a BJJ match with no time limit

Vitor Belfort is a ****ing Carlson Gracie Black Belt.....Weedman has a brown belt from some no-name bum

• classicboxerclassicboxer Posts: 11,848Free

Franklin - I knew Silva would tool him i just didn't think it would be in the clinch
    Lutter - I actually gave Lutter a shot because of his excellent bjj. Too bad he had the most horrible cut of his career and gassed early.
    Franklin 2 - See above
    Hendo - A small shot. I thought he could maybe pull off a GnP UD clinic or very low chance land an H-bomb
    Cote - I actually though Cote could be a danger with his overhand right which was pretty boss a one point but his knee had other plans and it was
    a long shot anyway
    Griffin - Hell nah
    Maia - Definitely a threat on the ground. Despite how many people hated Silva's antics he played that fight just right.
    Sonnen - I though he might have a chance to UD but he suprized me how easily he dominated this match. Silva played a really smart game of possum though.
    Vitor - Definitely a punchers change but i felt he had a better shot than Hendo. Vitor's ground game is very under rated as well.
    Sonnen 2 - I thought Chael would lose again but i also felt he'd do much better than that and even threaten some guard passes and arm triangles early because of his training with Magalhaes but he never really got it going.

Weidman: He has the tools and a chance to defeat Silva if he brings his A game and Silva is a little off but i think the only way he beats Andy is pulling off a submission early and i don't see that happening at all.

As usual, you overrate jiu jitsu.
    Oakland, CA: Raiders, A's, Warriors

Vitor Belfort is a ****ing Carlson Gracie Black Belt.....Weedman has a brown belt from some no-name bum
    Belfort got submitted by Bumereem
    edited June 2013

If only because of conditioning. Vitor is a gasser because he's so explosive. Belfort is more skilled in bjj than Weidman imo. He also has way more bjj experience. Carlson gracie blackbelt, former BTT team member at the height of the team nothing but bjj killers on that team.

Weidman is blackbelt level though despite his rank but still i don't think he's quite Vitor level yet in bjj.

Franklin 2 - See above
    a long shot anyway
    Griffin - Hell nah

Anderson was aware of jiu-jitsu's effectiveness too. Leites, Maia, he was terrified to go to the ground with them. I wonder why......
    Yeah, you never know. Jon Jones and GSP aren't rated in BJJ and wrestling (respectively) but they do it better than most in an MMA fight.

We'll just wait and see what happens

Yeah, you never know. Jon Jones and GSP aren't rated in BJJ and wrestling (respectively) but they do it better than most in an MMA fight.

Jones got subbed by Vitor lol

edited June 2013

George has very good jiu-jitsu he just doesn't have a good offensive submission game because he prefers to control instead of advance. His wrestling is top notch but mostly because of his athletic ability, seemless striking to close the distance and setup perfectly timed deep shot double-leg/single-leg then cutting the corner driving through the opponent. His clinch game is not that spectacular.

Jones from what i can tell is similar in that he understands prevention very well, has good positioning and his offensive submission game is a little better than George but only because his hellbow game is so good if forces people into bad positions and unlike George he'll advance to finish.

Franklin 2 - See above
    a long shot anyway
    Griffin - Hell nah

Anderson was aware of jiu-jitsu's effectiveness too. Leites, Maia, he was terrified to go to the ground with them. I wonder why......
    "Terrified"? That also proves that Jiu Jitsu isn't hard to avoid, if you know what to look out for.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,862Free
    did vitor even land a strike on silva?

no wonder vitor doesnt want anything to do with a rematch
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

edited June 2013

"Terrified"? That also proves that Jiu Jitsu isn't hard to avoid, if you know what to look out for.

Establishing, maintaining and transitioning to dominant positions to avoid escapes, sweeps and reversals, passing guard, wearing an opponent down with positional dominance, striking, trapping and submission attacks and nullifying escape attempts. Controlling posture to avoid attacks, passing, or transitions to more dominant positions...etc. etc.

That's Jiu-Jitsu and you are telling me it's not effective. GTFO =))

Establishing, maintaining and transitioning to dominant positions to avoid escapes, sweeps and reversals, passing guard, wearing an opponent down with positional dominance, striking, trapping and submission attacks and nullifying escape attempts. Controlling posture to avoid attacks, passing, or transitions to more dominant positions...etc. etc.

Cain- Wrestler
    Jones- Wrestler
    Silva- Striker
    GSP- Wrestler
    Bendo- Wrestler?
    Aldo- Striker
    Cruz- Striker
    Mouse- Striker?

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free

Cain- Wrestler
    Jones- Wrestler
    Silva- Striker
    GSP- Wrestler
    Bendo- Wrestler?
    Aldo- Striker
    Cruz- Striker
    Mouse- Striker?

These guys are not that one dimensinal.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 7,019Free