Silva/Jones...Silva/GSP

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
DW and the fans have talked about these 2 fights more than imaginable, but would would u realistically put as the chance of either of those 2 fights happening before Silva retires

I'd say..

GSP/Silva (10%) - due to the fact that we've already waited 5 years and had so much interest and opportunity trashed, i'd say it's extremely unlikely. gsp never wanted this fight, and fan interest is much much lower now due to gsp not being universally seen as #2

Silva/Jones (60%) - i see this fight as being 10% or so to happen in the next year or two, but silva is still amazing and has a lot of fight left in him. these 2 guys are going nowhere, and for the amount of money and interest on the table for this, i'd almost find it more hard to believe that DW would let silva retire before he did the superfight. still...i only give it 60% because he's dangled this for way too long with no results.
Tagged:

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    GSP/Silva isn't happening, GSP just doesn't want it.

Jones/Silva seems more likely but hopefully doesn't happen. Jones would maul him terribly, it just doesn't need to happen.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    80% Silva/Jones cuz ppl wanna see....
    0% GSP/Silva cuz GSP Ducks Silva BigTime, he even said Weidman wins ... =))
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Neither should happen, Silva should destroy gsp and Jones should destroy Silva.

Jones/Silva could happen but Jon would beat Andy up. Jaws would drop.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,863Free
    How is it a superfight, Jones fighting a MW?

GSP/Silva is more equal in size and strength
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    Identity said:

It would be easier for GSP to make LW
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    Identity said:

Lol, that's what all Anderson fanboys say.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,173Free
    Identity said:

It's a superfight because they are both dominant champions within 1 weightclass of each other. Their size doesn't matter and Anderson has fought at LHW more than once in the UFC. If this fight were to be scheduled it would be the 2nd "real" superfight since BJ stepped up to fight Greasey at WW while he was the LW champ. It would probably kill all of their current PPV record numbers as well.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

It's a superfight because they are both dominant champions within 1 weightclass of each other. Their size doesn't matter and Anderson has fought at LHW more than once in the UFC. If this fight were to be scheduled it would be the 2nd "real" superfight since BJ stepped up to fight Greasey at WW while he was the LW champ. It would probably kill all of their current PPV record numbers as well.
    agree with this

anderson has stepped up to LHW plenty of times, and looked fantastic every single time (forrest, irvin, bonnar). silva is without a doubt a force at LHW and is the one person who would deserve a title shot in a 2nd division
    PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

yeah and look how one sided that fight was.
    Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Who cares? It wasn't the first time they fought either. The first fight a lot of people argue BJ won and the second fight GSP cheated. You know he did. And really who cares at this point? Are you trying to say that wasn't a fight the fans wanted to see? It definitely was and the UFC made money off it.

Anyway that's not what this thread is about.
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

GSP walk's around at about 180-190 and Silva fight's at 185 so it would make sense to fight at 180 which would be simple for both fighter's without loosing speed/strength ect

Jones would have to much of an advantage to make it fair
    AS destroy's them both regardless
    Identity said:

GSP walk's around at about 180-190 and Silva fight's at 185 so it would make sense to fight at 180 which would be simple for both fighter's without loosing speed/strength ect

Jones would have to much of an advantage to make it fair

Identity said:

AS destroy's them both regardless

LoL Why are you worried about it then? It would be the biggest fight in UFC history.

GSP claims it's easier for him to make WW than MW. How it makes sense, I do not know but that is what Grease claims. He will never fight Anderson Silva anyway and definitely won't at 185.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Who cares? It wasn't the first time they fought either. The first fight a lot of people argue BJ won and the second fight GSP cheated. You know he did.

Anyway that's not what this thread is about.
    no it's not so not sure why you took it on that tangent tbh.

When you have guys close on skill level size does play a factor, Gsp is 5ft 10, Silva is 6ft 2 and Jones is 6ft 4

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Oh and you can't use the GSP/Penn 2 fight to predict how a Silva/Jones fight would go. Although I do think Jones would work Andy, you never know.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Oh and you can't use the GSP/Penn 2 fight to predict how a Silva/Jones fight would go. Although I do think Jones would work Andy, you never know.
    You know that's not true
    Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

this thread is too confrontational...just a basic question, what percent chance do u think either fight will happen

at this point, i gotta say the gsp/silva match has kind of run its course and the mystique and glory of gsp is not what it used to be. seems to me that the jones/silva fight is the one where the opponents are more likely to do it and the fans want it more.

the fact that there's probably $100million or so at stake (between sponsors, PPV, gate, etc.) it's almost crazy that they are not making it happen. not to mention just how many new fans it would bring into mma, and the future money they'd gain for the increase in fans
    i have a fear that they may wait too long and silva will eventually lose and that ruins the whole "unbeatable" mystique. i'm sure you noticed that the pacquiao/mayweather talk has gone way down since pacquiao has been ko'd

the idea of UFC was to take the coolness of boxing, but not make the same mistakes. let's see if dana can keep true to that and just book the fight we all want to see
    edited June 2013
    Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Which part of my quote man? Use bold or something < b >< /b > without the spaces.

The part that you can't use GSP/Penn 2 or the part where I think Jones would beat Anderson?
    Post edited by PoloRidah on
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Which part of my quote man? Use bold or something < b >< /b > without the spaces.

The part that you can't use GSP/Penn 2 or the part where I think Jones would beat Anderson?
    Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

After seeing how Jones manhandled Chael, I believe he would do the same to Andy. I'm not the only person who thinks Jones would beat Silva.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

After seeing how Jones manhandled Chael, I believe he would do the same to Andy. I'm not the only person who thinks Jones would beat Silva.
    Jones has to get close to Silva to get hold of him and with Silva's KO power and pin point accuracy, easier said then done
    Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Jones has to get close to Silva to get hold of him and with Silva's KO power and pin point accuracy, easier said then done
    If Sonnen can do it Jones can do it.

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

You know that's not true
    I know what isn't true?
    PoloRidah said:

Gabri1985 said:

PoloRidah said:

Identity said:

Silva isn't hard to get a hold of, many people have done it and Jones is better than all of them.
  • -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 617Free
    The only way this fight happens is if Silva beats Weidman and Jones beats Gustaffson. I think Silva has a 70% chance of winning, based on his struggles against wrestlers, and Jones has a 90% chance of winning, based on his success against strikers. That would put the fight at about 80% certainty in my mind.

Then you have to factor in timing. Jon fights 2 months after Anderson and any injury suspensions could prolong the fight. Jones has no intention of sticking around @ 205 just to fight Silva, so if he decides to move up, then the fight is shot. If either of them get beat, then the fight is shot. So I'd take those previous odds and cut them in half, at least. The way I see it, its about a 30-40% chance of happening.

I once thought that this fight was a lock to happen, but now I think the stars need to align to make it happen, and being that we've all waited this long to see it I don't think anybody should hold their breathe. Something tells me something will happen, similar to the Mayweather/ Pacquioa fight, and it'll just becone irrelevant or lose too much of its appeal. Its a shame too, because everybody wants to see what might happen in this fight.

The only way this fight happens is if Silva beats Weidman and Jones beats Gustaffson. I think Silva has a 70% chance of winning, based on his struggles against wrestlers, and Jones has a 90% chance of winning, based on his success against strikers. That would put the fight at about 80% certainty in my mind.

Then you have to factor in timing. Jon fights 2 months after Anderson and any injury suspensions could prolong the fight. Jones has no intention of sticking around @ 205 just to fight Silva, so if he decides to move up, then the fight is shot. If either of them get beat, then the fight is shot. So I'd take those previous odds and cut them in half, at least. The way I see it, its about a 30-40% chance of happening.

I once thought that this fight was a lock to happen, but now I think the stars need to align to make it happen, and being that we've all waited this long to see it I don't think anybody should hold their breathe. Something tells me something will happen, similar to the Mayweather/ Pacquioa fight, and it'll just becone irrelevant or lose too much of its appeal. Its a shame too, because everybody wants to see what might happen in this fight.

actually, i totally agree with your assessment there on silva having a 70% chance and jones having a 90% chance of winning...they could always do the fight after the loss though (similar to how wanderlei/liddell eventually fought, but it was once they were on the downslope).

DW has to realize that there's a shelf life on fights like this. even the fact that chael took a few dominant rounds from silva diminishes the mystique of this fight slightly. still, at this moment, it's the fight every single fan wants to see. silva usually goes along with what DW says with enough pushing and jones doesn't want to get on DW's bad side after what happened with 151

the real issue here is that neither fighter has officially cleared out their division. glover and vitor will be waiting in the wings with a legitimate claim at the belt, but hopefully they could both stay active for one more fight until after the jones/silva fight happens

i still feel that it's extremely unlikely to happen soon, but i think it's more likely than not to happen within the next 5 years