What Happened To 5 Round Main Events?

FrictionFriction Posts: 32Free
I thought that they made it so that all main events and title fights would be five rounds. Has this changed recently or am I wrong? I was sure Hendersen vs Evans was supposed to be 5 rounds and was surprised when they announced it would only be 3.
Tagged:

Comments

• MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    Friction said:

I thought that they made it so that all main events and title fights would be five rounds. Has this changed recently or am I wrong? I was sure Hendersen vs Evans was supposed to be 5 rounds and was surprised when they announced it would only be 3.

The UFC wanted to help out Hendo so they didn't make the old geezer go 25 minutes
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    PATSTER said:

They weren't signed to fight 5 rounds, therefore they only fought 3.

You can't tell a guy he's in a 3 round fight and then take it back a few weeks before the fight.

Why not? This isn't any different then say, taking Mir away from his original fight and putting him in to fight JDS instead. He went from a 3 rounder to a 5 rounder just like that. All fighter should be training for 5 rounders anyway if they want to be champ. DW is the king of takeskis backskis.

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,588Free
    GoToGuy said:

PATSTER said:

You can't tell a guy he's in a 3 round fight and then take it back a few weeks before the fight.

Why not? This isn't any different then say, taking Mir away from his original fight and putting him in to fight JDS instead. He went from a 3 rounder to a 5 rounder just like that. All fighter should be training for 5 rounders anyway if they want to be champ. DW is the king of takeskis backskis.
    Yes it is. Mir went into a title fight.
  • JDS_over_REEMJDS_over_REEM <This.Posts: 3,285Free

GoToGuy said:

PATSTER said:

Yes it is. Mir went into a title fight.
    yup and most HW fighters usually gas around the 3rd round anyways.

This^

thank you @Tiger_Champion for the JoR tags.
  • FrictionFriction Posts: 32Free
    PATSTER said:

But it was a main event which they were signed for! So it should have been a 5 rounder.

When was the last time we saw a main event only 3 rounds before 161?
  • jdukjduk Posts: 8,284Free
    When they moved it to the main event, they knew Hendo wouldn't be able to fight 5 rounds
  • juice64011juice64011 Posts: 5,949Free
    This isn't really hard to understand. Barao vs Wineland was set as the 5 round main event. They were pulled due to injury a couple of weeks before 161. Rashad vs Hendo were moved to the main event but stayed as a 3 round fight since that was what was stated in their signed contracts for that fight.
    MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion

Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion*

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Friction said:

PATSTER said:

But it was a main event which they were signed for! So it should have been a 5 rounder.

last i can think of was Penn vs Diaz, which also had a guy who gasses hard in it lol. You couldn't make Henderson or Penn fight five rounds in short notice.

PATSTER said:

Nah the original main event got scrapped I think, so they'd actually just signed a 3 rounder main card fight. Dana didn't want to go through the hassle of making then resign new fight contracts
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,819Free
    5 round fights are agreed on by the fighters i think
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion