What we thought about Anderson Silva about seven years ago.

MegasoupMegasoup Maker of SoupsPosts: 2,386Free
Well, I don't know what YOU thought, but I didn't think he had much of a chance against Rich Franklin. Before that time, it seemed like the highly-regarded fighters from other promotions that made the transition to the UFC didn't usually fare too well. He had just the one fight in the UFC and he beat the snot out of Chris Leben, who I had followed since the first season of TUF. I thought Chris Leven was going to win that one, but he clearly didn't. I still didn't have a good idea about who Anderson was going into the Franklin fight, though.

It seemed sorta' even, at first. Eventually, Anderson Silva caught Franklin in a Muay Thai plum, and I chalked it up to his Rich's failure to deal with it due to the heat of the moment.

I kept underestimating "The Spider" like that. This went on for a while.

I wonder what Anderson thought about the moment that he won the belt. I mean, he couldn't tell the future any more than any of us. I'm sure he had big dreams, as do we all, but there's no way he could have foretold the future. There's no way he could have known that he would become known as the greatest fighter in the world. There's no way he could have known that he was going to win his next 16 fights; that he was going to have 10 successful title defenses.

That's incredible.
Member of the People's Freedom Movement

Comments

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Chris Leben was on a five fight win streak and was more than likely the favorite heading in to the fight. I'm sure what was thought to happen was that it would have been a competitive fight with a guy that had an iron chin and heavy hands, people probably thought that alone would have made it competitive.

Watching the dismantling however was amazing and I'm surprised he got the title shot off that fight alone. Rich Franklin back then was seemingly unbeatable and a very legit fighter, he still is actually. He was the middleweight kingpin for quite a while and I'm sure people thought that too, would have been a slaughter. I think everyone was very surprised at how easily Silva beat him. The rest is history. Defeating Franklin twice was the beginning of Silvas goat status I believe.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    I didn't give him much of a chance against Rich tbh at the time.
    Post edited by Sisti on
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,766Free
    FroZeN said:

Chris Leben was on a five fight win streak and was more than likely the favorite heading in to the fight. I'm sure what was thought to happen was that it would have been a competitive fight with a guy that had an iron chin and heavy hands, people probably thought that alone would have made it competitive.

Watching the dismantling however was amazing and I'm surprised he got the title shot off that fight alone. Rich Franklin back then was seemingly unbeatable and a very legit fighter, he still is actually. He was the middleweight kingpin for quite a while and I'm sure people thought that too, would have been a slaughter. I think everyone was very surprised at how easily Silva beat him. The rest is history. Defeating Franklin twice was the beginning of Silvas goat status I believe.

Well said, this!
  • chonschons Posts: 3,366Free
    But, but, Silva only beat non-legit cans!
    The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, & breeds reptiles of the mind.

• BruteDionBruteDion Posts: 10,499Free
    I looked at A.silva a lot like the way I looked at Yves Edwards in his prime

-crazy talented and slick striker
    -would not show up for the bigger fights
    -well seasoned and would kill any no major promo fighter

I expected him to impress and go good in the UFC be4 the Leban fight and after the Leban fight I felt the same

Only after he beat the piss out of Rich did I think he was a world beater...I would now think he would not have the valleys that Yves did but all the peak and more
    Sig record
    40-21

Owner Of Forum Souls: Bright508620 - MMAFAN001 - CRAZYNOONGAH

What do you get when you take A.Silva's clinch game + Mark Hunt's Iron Chin + Mushy Lady Parts?

A: Cat Zingano....the UFC's true #1 women's contender

< img src =photo BD2_zps23b2f3d9.jpg>
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    7 years ago i didnt give a crap about Anderson Silva

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,387Free
    fobar said:

I still don't
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free

fobar said:

I still don't
    lol me too

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    Lol I just noticed that blockhead ref in carn's sig :bz
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,324Free
    After he beat Sakurai i started taking notice and when he beat Carlos Newton the way he did i knew he had plenty of potential by the time he fought Lee Murray and completly tooled him with ease in such a beautiful way i knew he could be a champion.

I knew Franklin was a beast but also vulnerable to really technical striker especially since i remembered how Lyoto tooled him. It didn't surprize me Silva beat Franklin. I expected it although i did think it would be more competitive.

I knew he'd tool Leban. I had no doubt he would completely own him.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,342Free
    I never thought much of Franklin he just looked bigger than most of his opponents.Leben was always a can he just put on a good show was all he did so ya Silva should beat him.I knew from watching his first pro loss what Silva's weakness was and i saw all his antics,he has not changed one bit since day 1,except he is bigger now.I said from first time he fought in UFC all fighters had to do was take him down,but he has been fed a ton of tailor made opponents.
    Hendo wtf,he is an old washed up bum,he got speed beat by Rashad and Shield's tossed him down and controlled him liek a flipped over turtle on the beach.Who the hell is Bonnar?Silva has beat a ton of guys he SHOULD beat.I have not said once that i thought Silva had any chance of losing,that is how crap his opponents have been,but i do say now there is a chance he will lose.
    All of the three divisions above 170 have been weak fora very long time,and still to this day have only got a tad more respectable.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • Hayden512Hayden512 Posts: 2,581Elite
    I was 12 and on summer break. I wa probably thinking about going swimming or some ****.
    I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

• FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    zaksame said:

I never thought much of Franklin he just looked bigger than most of his opponents.Leben was always a can he just put on a good show was all he did so ya Silva should beat him.I knew from watching his first pro loss what Silva's weakness was and i saw all his antics,he has not changed one bit since day 1,except he is bigger now.I said from first time he fought in UFC all fighters had to do was take him down,but he has been fed a ton of tailor made opponents.
    Hendo wtf,he is an old washed up bum,he got speed beat by Rashad and Shield's tossed him down and controlled him liek a flipped over turtle on the beach.Who the hell is Bonnar?Silva has beat a ton of guys he SHOULD beat.I have not said once that i thought Silva had any chance of losing,that is how crap his opponents have been,but i do say now there is a chance he will lose.
    All of the three divisions above 170 have been weak fora very long time,and still to this day have only got a tad more respectable.

The amount of retard in this post is ridiculous. Hendo didn't fight those guys til later in his career.
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,324Free
    zaksame said:

lol
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    fobar said:

fobar said:

I still don't
    lol me too
    Me too. Also....Just like those who said they did not give Silva much of a chance against Franklin at the time........not giving Weidman much of a chance "at the time."

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,620Free
    ThePack19 said:

fobar said:

fobar said:

I still don't
    lol me too
    Me too. Also....Just like those who said they did not give Silva much of a chance against Franklin at the time........not giving Weidman much of a chance "at the time."

Bingo
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,043Free

After he beat Sakurai i started taking notice and when he beat Carlos Newton the way he did i knew he had plenty of potential by the time he fought Lee Murray and completly tooled him with ease in such a beautiful way i knew he could be a champion.

I knew Franklin was a beast but also vulnerable to really technical striker especially since i remembered how Lyoto tooled him. It didn't surprize me Silva beat Franklin. I expected it although i did think it would be more competitive.

I knew he'd tool Leban. I had no doubt he would completely own him.

Same here. The Sakurai fight pretty much made him and was considered to be an upset of epic proportions at that time. The Carlos Newton fight reinforced that along with his dominant run as Cage Rage MW champion.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

• FuriousmatFuriousmat Posts: 4,047Free
    Yet Silva had considerably more experience than Weidman at that time and had put on an especially impressive performance against Leben. Granted Leben wasn't a veteran but he was undefeated and the way he was put away by Silva was something special.. Same can't be said about Weidman's performances so far. But yeah I'm pretty sure Silva wasn't a very popular pick at that time.