Silva on Jones: "Don't think I'm going to win"

PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,407Free
Apparently Anderson doesn't believe he would be able to defeat Jon Jones if the two of them were to fight. This surprised me because the UFC is mostly full of fighters who are always confident and believe they can win, or at least act like they believe they can win. Hearing this out of Silva's mouth makes me believe that we won't see this super fight even more.

I agree with Anderson though, I don't think he would beat Jones if some miracle happened and the fight actually took place.

What do you guys think about Silva's attitude on this subject?

Courtesy of MMAFighting.com, the greatest MMA fighter of all time reportedly said in semi-fluent English that "if I fight Jon Jones, I'm don't think I'm going to win."

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1690990-anderson-silva-on-jon-jones-i-dont-think-im-going-to-win
Hendricks 1,2,3,4

Comments

• PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,407Free
    I just noticed that this was posted in another thread. Ignore it if you'd like or the mods can delete it.

@sobercuban
    @theenigma
    @littlekang
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,192Free
    Silva does have a very good chance of losing that fight.
  • PoloRidahPoloRidah Posts: 11,407Free
    Hellequin said:

Silva does have a very good chance of losing that fight.

I'm pretty sure Jones would be able to get him down and maul him on the ground.

It was just surprising to me to see Silva doubt himself.
    Hendricks 1,2,3,4

• BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    Anyone remember when Silva kept saying he wanted to fight Mir? I still want to see that.

Anyway, Silva is too old at this point for a Jones fight to really mean anything. He's pushing 40 and Jones is ridiculously amazing like him or not.

• fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Silva may say it, but I dont believe he really thinks it. Makes good paper talk, thats all

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,314Free

Anyone remember when Silva kept saying he wanted to fight Mir? I still want to see that.

Anyway, Silva is too old at this point for a Jones fight to really mean anything. He's pushing 40 and Jones is ridiculously amazing like him or not.

this

age does eventually take a toll, and we've seen in in MMA a million times where a top top guy eventually gets overtaken by a younger guy. your late 30's is not the prime of your fighting career by any means, and Jones has the age, reach, size, and stylistic advantage over silva. obviously you could never count silva out, but jones would likely be the fave in that match
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    It's good to see he isn't deluding himself as soon as Jones got that fight to the ground which he would it's over.
    I think it's more mind games than anything. Or else, why would he be so quick to pick up the phone and ask Dana for that fight right after Jon's last match? There's another face to Anderson that he doesn't like to show the media, that we only get glimpses of in the cage. You can't take anything he says at face value because he's always working people over. He's a crafty strategist and a brilliant politician who knows how to read people. He throws stuff out there and procures useful information from others' reactions, and then counteracts accordingly. That psychology doesn't just apply to his fights, it's the way he handles himself in life and it's a mentality that he shares with some of the most ingenious minds all throughout human history.

What better way to soften up your most threatening opponent than by buttering him up with compliments and giving him a sense of security? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Silva will kill Jones with kindness. He's gonna break him, using his own confidence against him. He's gonna make mince meat out of Weidman, but he's not gonna call out Bones. He's gonna go through Dana. That's been his plan all along. And if (or when, rather) he beats Jon, he'll solidify himself as the greatest fighter to ever live.
  • Cole1186Cole1186 Posts: 3,773Free
    I don't think Jones would finish him, but I do think he could get Anderson down to the ground and inflict some damage. It would be amazing to see tho. I'd say either Jones UD, or Silva KO/TKO. I'm kind of leaning more towards Anderson tho, but we'll see how he handles Weidman's wrestling. I know Jones is in a different league then Weidman, but it would be a decent indicator of how easily he could stuff the takedown. But then Silva would have to worry about Jones sick Judo...

It needs to happen tho!
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Cole1186 said:

I don't think Jones would finish him, but I do think he could get Anderson down to the ground and inflict some damage. It would be amazing to see tho. I'd say either Jones UD, or Silva KO/TKO. I'm kind of leaning more towards Anderson tho, but we'll see how he handles Weidman's wrestling. I know Jones is in a different league then Weidman, but it would be a decent indicator of how easily he could stuff the takedown. But then Silva would have to worry about Jones sick Judo...

It needs to happen tho!

Why do you need to see how he does against Weidmans wrestling? he have already seen how he handled Sonnen's wrestling.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • BAMfreddrickBAMfreddrick Somewhere in AlbertaPosts: 4,949Free
    Cole1186 said:

It needs to happen tho!

Greco Roman not Judo. His throws don't manipulate the legs, they rely only on upper body because of his Greco Roman background. Judo throws typically involve hip and leg manipulation.

Either way, Jones would take Silva to the ground no ifs ands or buts.

• Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    Doesn't matter, Weidman is going to **** up all the super fights anyway.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free

Doesn't matter, Weidman is going to **** up all the super fights anyway.

=))

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
    Anderson is a greek god compared to Jones when it comes to striking. For Jones the odds are 50/50 at best as Silva has proved time and time again that the rules of age don't apply to him as he's faster then 90% of guys half his age, including Jon Jones. Furthermore I'm sick of Silva fighting can after can, this is a true opportunity to prove himself the best.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    True.......Because Silva knows JBJ is a serious legit fighter and not a gimme fight. What a joke....Silva is already laying down the ground work for his excuses when he starts losing.
  • fiskfisk Posts: 282Free
    How is believing that you will lose "an excuse"?
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Referring to other statements Silva has made leading up to his fight against Weidman, the man isn't even confident.
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,080Free
    The Weidman fight will answer many questions.