Chael Sonnen ranked #5 light heavyweight, is slight favorite to beat Shogun rua in las vegas

Comments

• KeemKeem Posts: 6,862Free
    Ranked #5 at LHW?!

Whoever did the UFC rankings for LHW is on smack

He's only beat Trevor Prangley at LHW in the UFC (1-3)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

- C.Condit - B.Henderson - J.Jones - C.Oliveira

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
    Condit- *Aye aye coach; say no more*
    I got Shogun.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

J.Benavidez - H.Hioki - T.Griffin - M.Torres - J. Hathaway - J. Howard - B.Tavares - M.Johnson - M.Brimage - D.Kim - T."Lion" Inoue - LC. Davis - M. Semezier - Y.Alcantara - Wineland - H.Lim

Megumi Fuji

I am an idiot for thinking GSP could finish the P4P GOAT Nick Diaz within 5 rounds

Greg - "It's, about.. WAR! You understand me?! You bounce, you move and you punish this kid. This is 5 minutes of war, now you go and give it to me!"
  • _Spartan_Spartan Posts: 383Free
    Keem said:

Ranked #5 at LHW?!

not ufc rankings, fight magazine rankings are the rankings that are most accurate in my opinion
    Keem said:

Ranked #5 at LHW?!

check it out they use a computer ranking system
    http://www.fightmagazine.com/mma-rankings/

"At FIGHT! Magazine, we believe there is a need for a completely objective and unbiased ranking system for fighters to replace the myriad of subjective rankings that have become skewed, in many instances, by fighter popularity. In an effort to address this issue FIGHT! Magazine brings you its computerized rankings system."

anyway, Chael is in fact the favorite

This maybe the 1st fight I bet money on

I'm shocked Shogun isn't the fav

Megumi Fuji

• therien87therien87 Posts: 354Free
    shogun needs to make a statement. I'm not surprise by the ranking. Shogun last few performances we're not very good. On the other hand Sonnen has been pretty good in his last 5 fights apart from the jones fight .
  • Wanderlei_RuaWanderlei_Rua Posts: 947Free
    I'm as big of a Shogun fan as anyone, but this is a horrible stylistic matchup for him. I hope like hell Rua can pull off a victory, but Chael should be the favorite on this one.
    _Spartan said:

Keem said:

Ranked #5 at LHW?!

check it out they use a computer ranking system
    http://www.fightmagazine.com/mma-rankings/

"At FIGHT! Magazine, we believe there is a need for a completely objective and unbiased ranking system for fighters to replace the myriad of subjective rankings that have become skewed, in many instances, by fighter popularity. In an effort to address this issue FIGHT! Magazine brings you its computerized rankings system."
    I agree with a lot of those, I just can't see Sonnen being #5 w/ a (1-3) record overall in the UFC and loses to Griffin, Horn and a few at LHW too. His best wins are at MW too.

Megumi Fuji

PATSTER said:

Chael is going to get his *** whooped.

I hope to Wandy you're right.
  • ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free

I'm as big of a Shogun fan as anyone, but this is a horrible stylistic matchup for him. I hope like hell Rua can pull off a victory, but Chael should be the favorite on this one.

I'd be more concerned if it was a 3 rounds fight. In 5 Shogun can work on a TKO (hopefully)
  • Frontline_RioterFrontline_Rioter Posts: 2,527Free

I'd be more concerned if it was a 3 rounds fight. In 5 Shogun can work on a TKO (hopefully)
    These are my thoughts exactly. In a 3 round fight I got Chael all day based off takedowns. 5 rounds gives Rua more time to work not just for a Tko but for a submission. You will no doubt see Shogun using omoplatas to stand back up and he will be rolling for kneebars.

Odds should be about even and probably will be by the time the fight rolls around. The line will change

A lot will depend on Shogun's cardio. There's no way Sonnen stops him with strikes, I just worry about the Shogun that was exclusively winging overhand rights at Gus getting taken down at will.
  • NeckCrankNeckCrank Posts: 821Free
    we shall see what shogun arrives. chael is always ready to go. cant wait for this fight.
    ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

• ultimatefightingchampultimatefightingchamp Posts: 27,350Free
    Yeah.. there's always that concern with Shogun. It kinda makes his fights more nerve wrecking and awesome
  • Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    If Shogun doesn't come in, in shape there is every chance Sonnen can stop him.

• JunglebirdJunglebird Posts: 9,741Free
    5 at LHW? LMFao
    FEB. 2010
    Anderson Silva: Proof that you dont need PEDs to be the GOAT.
    Sonnen's last 5 fights were against guys who all fought at lightheavy weight in the UFC before

Yeah.. there's always that concern with Shogun. It kinda makes his fights more nerve wrecking and awesome

Not for me. It's gotten to the point with some of my favorites that I have to DVR the broadcast, find out the result and then watch the fight. Otherwise I get too worked up and can't enjoy watching.
  • MangasmMangasm Posts: 6,043Free
    Sonnen is gonna smash that gasless can
    The internet tells me that that's called love, I'm on the internet cuz I'm an Internet thug.

Sigbet record: 99999-0. Blee dat
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,023Free
    Shogun has pretty much the same skillset as Anderson Silva. And we saw how terrible a matchup that was for Silva.
    But at least Silva had the cardio to survive...
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Posts: 1,234Free
    Not too surprising Shogun has been sucking it up lately against gatekeepers. He wins if he doesn't get taken down obviously but i wouldn't bet on either fighter in this one.

Sig Bet Record: 10-1

• zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    computerized ranking just uses the information told to use by humans who wrote the code.Also a computer just sticks to the program where as a human might change his mind based on a hunch or a last minute idea put into his head.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,971Free
    Shogun gonna help me make bank.

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun