UFC 162: Crazy climax to Anderson Silva reign as clowning gets him KO-ed

fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
The great champion Anderson Silva is renowned for great knockouts. He was on the receiving end for once here at the MGM Grand Garden Arena late Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Arrogance. Stupidity. Foolishness. Bizarre. Surreal. Yet the overriding feeling was that Anderson Silva beat himself, and gifted the UFC middleweight title to challenger Chris Weidman in a bizarre denouement to UFC 162, the young American taking to his new status proving his mental toughness.

"I knew he'd play games in there," said Weidman. "I didn't think it was disrespectful. He's trying to get a mental edge, get you angry, and then counter-punch. He's a counter-puncher. I just kept focused. He's not letting his defence down. He's deliberately doing that."

We had seen this before from Silva. The antics had similarities to when he fought compatriot Demian Maia in Abu Dhabi, and indulged in similar comportment. That was more mocking.

Silva spent most of the first round cleverly defending takedowns, escaping submission attempts as Weidman was the aggressor, but then tried to get into the challenger's head as dangled his chin out there, called Weidman over to the Octagon wall, falling into one of those moods at the end of round one.

Mind games. But they weren't to pay off. Silva looked better in the second, and was beginning to school the challenger in the second round when, as he had previously in the fight with Maia, dropped his hands offered his chin, feigning that he had been wobbled with a left.

Seconds later, the champion really did get clipped by a left hand, and was out before he hit the ground. Weidman, whose body language had shown an athlete confused by movement and brilliance, was not perturbed mentally. Weidman – it must be said – was professionalism personified.

"That fight cost GSP, Jon Jones and Anderson Silva a lot of money…he was link in all these fights…" said Dana White, the UFC President. "No matter what Anderson says, he will be feeling bad about what happened and will want the re-match."

"Disrespectful ? I don't know. How do you disrespect someone in a fight ? Punch in the face, pull your arm, kick you, choke you out, disrespectful ? Why ? It was a very exciting fight. I'm wet with sweat, my heart was beating fast, I almost feinted twice. I guarantee when they fight again it will be a different fight."

The ex-champion, attempting an eleventh title defence, admitted his plan had failed. Had it succeeded, we would no doubt but lauding it, but it left a sad, flat feeling. You only had to look at Silva's corner to know that.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100026676/ufc-162-crazy-climax-to-anderson-silva-reign-as-clowning-gets-him-ko-ed/

Comments

• DiconimusDiconimus Posts: 80Free
    Nope,at no point was Silva ever in control.Quit trolling.
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Diconimus said:

whose trolling?

Hellequin said:

fobar said:

Diconimus said:

whose trolling?
    My alt doesn't realize you quoted an article. I apologize on our behalf.
    LMAO no problem, i'm a little high and had to double check i put the link in :)

• OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,536Free
    Spent the first round cleverly defending Takedowns?

He got taken down with relative ease then ate some shots that you could tell bothered him, unlike the Chael fight in which he looked unphased the whole time he was in Sonnen's guard.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
    TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

He got taken down with relative ease then ate some shots that you could tell bothered him, unlike the Chael fight in which he looked unphased the whole time he was in Sonnen's guard.

thats a respected journalist too, interesting what he saw from ringside

fobar said:

thats a respected journalist too, interesting what he saw from ringside
    Sounds to me like he had his Silva fanboy goggles on when he was watching the fight and wrote the article on his fanboy laptop (complete with Anderson wallpaper).
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT

• StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,176Free
    Anderson tried to lure Weidman in to commit deep to counter and it almost worked but that right he threw was like a pawing jab that skimmed his mouth and caught Anderson by surprize and instead of putting his hands up he still tried to roll away from the left but he was in terrible position by that point and Weidman landed that left perfect.
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,573Free
    edited July 2013
    It's funny that everyone praises Silva for being able to do that **** when he wins but when he loses he's stupid and arrogant blah blah blah. People seem to forget that Anderson fights like that regularly, the only problem is he wasn't fighting Yushin Okami or Demian Maia
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on

It's funny that everyone praises Silva for being able to do that **** when he wins but when he loses he's stupid and arrogant blah blah blah. People seem to forget that Anderson fights like that regularly, the only problem is he wasn't fighting Yushin Okami or Demian Maia

I still praise him for having head movmement like he does. People always act like he's clowning but when Ali did it or Roy Jones or Floyd it's great skill.

I guess mma fans still don't understand the concept of getting people to over commit and miss so you can counter. It takes balls and skill to be able to pull that off especially at Anderson's age.

The taunting and crazy exaggerated movement is almost as much of a part of Anderson's legend as his incredible knockouts.

Now we're going to be told it's the reason he lost. The guy was beaten after he felt Weidman's GnP.

I pray there's a rematch so all insinuation of any fluke nonsense is stamped out..
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free

be able to pull that off especially at Anderson's age.

Age maybe - and the fact his feet were in a really dodgy position to be attempting that
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • wanderleisilva101wanderleisilva101 Posts: 9,351Free
    Without wanting to discredit Weidman for doing the unthinkable he won fair and square but also the KO was on a plate no blocking by Silva at all I know he baits people but that was wreckless. This loss is a good lesson for Silva to keep his hands up he was overly cocky in the Maia fight and this one and he's paid for it. I thought he was coming back into it before the finish too he stopped the takedowns and was landing hard leg kicks but was to busy taunting instead of fighting most times so he deserved it.

Hopefully he sees why he **** up and goes for the rematch.
    Bet Record- 76-43

UFC Survivor series tournament 1 winner

It's so cool that my partnership with my best friend and lover Antawn can be recognized as a marriage! DOMA is unconstitutional!

image image
    edited July 2013
    Tahune said:

Age maybe - and the fact his feet were in a really dodgy position to be attempting that

No doubt the dodgy position was his demise and i give props to Weidman for not over commiting on the right hand which he threw like a jab and it grazed Silva and he didn't quite see that coming but just reacted by almost hopping back into limbo position then Weidman left was corked and ready and he stepped right in directly and sealed the deal.
    Post edited by StompGrind on
    Silva has to realise he cannot fight like that again

• kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,659Free

The taunting and crazy exaggerated movement is almost as much of a part of Anderson's legend as his incredible knockouts.

Now we're going to be told it's the reason he lost. The guy was beaten after he felt Weidman's GnP.

I pray there's a rematch so all insinuation of any fluke nonsense is stamped out..
    Great post. Exactly right.

After being beaten easily in the 1st Round, Silva knew he had to do something, ANYTHING, to keep the fight standing. Only way to do that was to get to Weidman's head & sucker him in. Unfortunately for him, Weidman kept his composure. But had Silva NOT done that, chances are we would've seen 5 rounds much like the 1st & Silva would have lost by UD.

Silva knew that so he did what he had to do. It just didn't work out for him this time.
    fobar said:

Silva has to realise he cannot fight like that again

Yep.
    Question for all the people making excuses..

Does the "better fighter" put themselves in that position?

The obvious answer is NO.

Ergo, he wasn't the better fighter.
    If Silva isn't getting a rematch he NEEDS to fight Bisping. A newly hungry, angry, no nonsense Silva against Bispings pillow chin would be MMA gold.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

"GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people"

kapst said:

Yep. If Anderson was the better fighter he wouldn't have been the one laying unconscious on the floor. He went in there to win and lost, Weidman >>>>>. It's hard for people to think after so long that he could lose but he has been made to look human a number of times throughout his career.
    kapst said:

I dont see anyone making excuse here

• TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free
    I can just imagine the smirk on Jon Jones' face when Weidman KO'd him

/:)
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    fobar said:

kapst said:

"He only lost because he fought like a retard" is an excuse.

fobar said:

kapst said:

is that in this thread lol obvious trolling is obvious surely

Weidman came to fight and deserved to win. Silva got a reality check

fobar said:

fobar said:

kapst said:

I don't see how it's irrelevant just because it's not in this particular thread. It has been posted at least a dozen times around the forum. Silva fought exactly how Silva fights but he lost.

Does it suck that his playful nature that made him such a legend is also the thing that turned out to ruin him? Sure, but that's how it goes.
    fobar said:

kapst said:

Many people are making excuses on the forum in general. That wasn't necessarily directed at you..
    kapst said:

I still think he's the a better fighter he just got carried away trying to push the limits and it cost him.

fobar said:

fobar said:

kapst said:

I don't see how it's irrelevant just because it's not in this particular thread. It has been posted at least a dozen times around the forum. Silva fought exactly how Silva fights but he lost.

Does it suck that his playful nature that made him such a legend is also the thing that turned out to ruin him? Sure, but that's how it goes.
    lol, you miss the part of the post where i say OBVIOUS TROLLING IS OBVIOUS smh

i also said Weidman deserved the win in other threads

kapst said:

fobar said:

kapst said:

Many people are making excuses on the forum in general. That wasn't necessarily directed at you..
    I thought you meant in this thread lol my bad :)

fobar said:

fobar said:

fobar said:

kapst said:

lol, you miss the part of the post where i say OBVIOUS TROLLING IS OBVIOUS smh

i also said Weidman deserved the win in other threads
    I didn't miss it at all, you were trying to imply I was trolling or....?