Is Anderson dependent on his dancing and/or showboating to win his fights?

the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,052Premium
edited July 2013 in UFC
Simple question. Reading a few discussions, Silva fans seem to say if Anderson didn't dance around and actually fought hard he would have won, and Weidman fans' responses are that Anderson always does that... it's how he fights and Weidman beat him at what he does.

If Anderson truly is dependent on dancing and showboating then Weidman is undoubtedly the better fighter without question.
But I do not believe Anderson needs to fool around like that to win. He can fight hard, I've seen him run right through guys without spending the majority of the standup beckoning his opponent to engage or pretending to be rocked when clipped with a glancing blow.

Is Anderson dependent on his dancing and/or showboating to win his fights?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
2013 predictions league champion
Forum odds makers league all division champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
Last one to post wins winner x2

imageimage

Comments

• Gabri1985Gabri1985 Manchester, England Posts: 7,695Free
    Anderson doesn't need the showboating, he's just toying with his opponents when he does it.
    He doesn't need to do it, case in point is the belfort fight. When he does he looks like a classless prick. It's more the standing there hands on hips kinda stuff, i mean when he faked being hurt i was praying for him to get knocked out.

He wasn't showboating or dancing, he uses it to lure opponents in.

lol... - "He doesn't do that... but he does it for this reason"

I know what he uses it for. Is he dependent on it?

imageimage
  • Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,582Free

He wasn't showboating or dancing, he uses it to lure opponents in.

lol... - "He doesn't do that... but he does it for this reason"

I know what he uses it for. Is he dependent on it?
    You're either trolling or have no reading comprehension.
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,875Free
    That's a good question mate- Thinking back to cage rage fights and to his last couple of fights it's like a different persona now Part of the aura that unmanned so many of his opponents etc etc,

whether he is dependent on it though I dunno.

I wonder how it'd had gone tonight had he not started clowning? he seemed to have plenty of chances to go on the offensive but he didn't.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
  • the_enigmathe_enigma Posts: 19,052Premium
    Anderson doesn't need the showboating, he's just toying with his opponents when he does it.
    So wait, he uses his showboating and dancing to lure his opponents in, but it's not showboating or dancing because he uses it to lure his opponents in?

The reason for an action doesn't change what the action is. Anyway, this nitpicking is not the point of the thread. Is Anderson dependent on the action that looks, sounds and acts like showboating and dancing but isn't showboating or dancing?

It was a simple question.

imageimage
  • najmanajma Posts: 2,026Free
    Anderson Silva does not need getting KOd to win fights.
    Doing faints and stuff is something different than pretending you're drunk while in your opponent's pocket.
    Gabri1985 said:

He doesn't need to do it, case in point is the belfort fight. When he does he looks like a classless prick. It's more the standing there hands on hips kinda stuff, i mean when he faked being hurt i was praying for him to get knocked out.

Before the Vitor front kick he stood chin out and hands down

Gabri1985 said:

Without pretending he was drunk, without dancing, without the circus act... See the difference?
    najma said:

Gabri1985 said:

Without pretending he was drunk, without dancing, without the circus act... See the difference?
    Hands down, chin out. He was still trying to lure him in. He does it regularly, only this time he walked into an elite level fighter and left his fanboys curled up in a fetal position
  • bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free
    edited July 2013
    The baiting is a part of why Anderson is brilliant, but there's a point of diminishing returns and he totally crossed that line with Weidman. He went there with Maia, too, and it was unnecessary.

When he deliberately goes out of his way to feign being rocked in a goofy way to make fun of his opponent, that, to me, is going overboard with it. He did it a few times and the last goof kinda messed up his footwork and timing, which is why he got caught flat-footed with his feet parallel before the knockout blow. Usually, even though he taunts guys, he makes an effort to counter effectively after 1 or 2 missed shots. Last night, though, he was letting Chris throw full combos without even bothering to shift position or move laterally. He didn't even care to bob his head forward like he did in past fights; just kinda threw his head back with no follow-up and ultimately paid the price.

But to answer your question, I believe he needs that style to keep his opponents off-guard and guessing, but only to a degree. He laid plenty of fighters to waste without getting too crazy. I'm guessing it was just so easy for him in the UFC that he really thought he could get away with anything. Either that, or he just didn't care anymore and welcomed the possibility of defeat.
    Post edited by bluesy on
    bluesy said:

The baiting is a part of why Anderson is brilliant, but there's a point of diminishing returns [...]

He didn't even care to bob his head forward like he did in past fights; just kinda threw his head back with no follow-up and ultimately paid the price. [...]

Either that, or he just didn't care anymore and welcomed the possibility of defeat.

Exactly, he didn't seem to do anything offensively. Baiting is a strategy of preparing an attack - but neither the preparation nor the attack were there.

Silva should've vacated the belt in an honorable way, instead of doing everything to lose the fight and then trying to convince people it wasn't his fault.
    bluesy said:

The baiting is a part of why Anderson is brilliant, but there's a point of diminishing returns.

Agreed, it is why he is brilliant and so far ahead, but I truly believe he doesn't need it. IMO He could be more effective but less brilliant without it and as for the diminishing returns part... I agree, Anderson did so much baiting that he barely even threw counter strikes... the baiting is feared because it hides the counter strikes, if he's not throwing the coutners, there's only so much time before the opponent will lose the fear. It was when weidman started throwing those combos that anderson should be countering with his longer reach but I guess he was having too much fun being untouchable lol 8-|

imageimage

anderson should be countering with his longer reach

Silva's reach - 77.5"
    Chris's reach - 78"

Please don't take facts out of your ****.

najma said:

anderson should be countering with his longer reach

Silva's reach - 77.5"
    Chris's reach - 78"

Please don't take facts out of your ****.

rly! that's surprising. I take it back then lol thank you, but Anderson definitely has the better straight punches, which with a .5 inch difference would still be the superior technique to wild hooks.

imageimage
  • DarksjeikDarksjeik Posts: 2,245Free
    It appears he needs to not get hit in the chin repeatedly to win fights :D

• bluesybluesy Posts: 2,836Free

bluesy said:

The baiting is a part of why Anderson is brilliant, but there's a point of diminishing returns.

Agreed, it is why he is brilliant and so far ahead, but I truly believe he doesn't need it. IMO He could be more effective but less brilliant without it and as for the diminishing returns part... I agree, Anderson did so much baiting that he barely even threw counter strikes... the baiting is feared because it hides the counter strikes, if he's not throwing the coutners, there's only so much time before the opponent will lose the fear. It was when weidman started throwing those combos that anderson should be countering with his longer reach but I guess he was having too much fun being untouchable lol 8-|
    I certainly don't think he NEEDS it, but I do believe it opens up opportunities a lot of the time, even allowing him to finish fights quicker. If you watch pre-UFC Anderson, he didn't really have the theatrics down yet and it was more like watching a very skilled fighter rather than a future GOAT. I think somewhere along the line, he discovered that baiting is the key to taking things to the next level; that suckering dudes into mental warfare and making them hesitate or screw up is the answer to being able to dispose of opponents in spectacular fashion, rather than just fighting hard for full rounds with a conservative approach.

I don't think Anderson should change much, at all. He just needs a greater sense of urgency and feel less compelled to embarrass guys who he feels disrespected him. It's an issue of pride, all the way. If he fought Chris like he was in there with Vitor or Hendo, it would have gone much different.
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,294Free
    Anderson needs the showboating to make his counter striking game effective.
    can

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• MGunMGun GOATPosts: 3,105Free
    He went way too overboard this time. That "wobbly" move was just retarded and he paid big time for it.
  • -HiLiteOfTheNite--HiLiteOfTheNite- Posts: 617Free
    He doesn't need to do it to win, however he would have lost this fight regardless of the dancing and showboating. Its just flat out disrespect in my mind. I've never liked it. I respect his abilities, but I hate his personality. If he was more respectful he wouldn't have gotten booed last night. People generally don't feel bad for you when you lose by being an a-hole.
  • DoomPatrolDoomPatrol Posts: 741Free

Gabri1985 said:

And Vitor tagged him and AS($) smiled like "Ok, that won't work with you".
  • waikruwaikru UFC PresidentPosts: 10,001Free
    Chris Leben says no.
    On November 16th Hendricks became the real undisputed champion.

"Believe in the beard"

waikru said:

Chris Leben says no.

Rich Franklin too.

• idrankyourbeeridrankyourbeer Sony: "We made VCRs too. Play in our world. Watch tv in theirs!"Posts: 21,121Free
    edited July 2013

He wasn't showboating or dancing, he uses it to lure opponents in. I thought that was quite obvious but I guess when he loses it's showboating rather than mind tricks.. even though he did the zaksame same thing. Does he NEED to do that? Probably not but it has become part of his style.

I don't remember anyone claiming he disrespected Bonnar but when he loses to Weidman they blame it on his lack of respect and showboating.

but how is it lack of respect, or disrespect? this is a fight. youre going in there to smash each others faces in, choke each other unconscious, rip a couple limbs off. you do what it takes to win. its a fight. you go in there trying to beat the hell out of the other guy until he isnt able to fight anymore. what else are you supposed to do? hug and kiss the whole way through???

how are you disrespecting your opponent when you just stand there with your chin out and let your opponent do what he wants to do in a fight - which is punch you in the face?!? if anything silva was just saying here. have my title. you are the better fighter. now punch me out and win the fight so i can pass the torch.
    Post edited by idrankyourbeer on
    Just givin out the D
    Roy Nelson - Devouring the competition and pissing out excellence
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car
  • rodrodMMA92rodrodMMA92 TexasPosts: 3,980Free
    He uses it to get people into his game but he doesn't need it. Unlike his eyes. He needs those open to see punches coming which he didn't yesterday.

He's not Jordan shooting free throws

21-16 SIG . . . . . 2-1 AV

Rua . . . . . . Penn . . . . . . Maia . . . . . .Van Soest . . . . . . Rousey . . . . . . . JDS . . . . . . Silva

imageimageimageTVSRouseyimageShogun

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    HA HA HA HA HA AH AHA HAHA AHA HA HA H HA HA HA HA HA HA HA H HA HA HA H HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Silva got KNOCKED THE F OUT by a "CAN"......... =))
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,659Free
    He obviously doesn't need to do that in every fight, but when he's fighting a stronger grappler than him, YES, he DOES need that to lure the opponent in. Had he not done that, we would've seen Sonnen/Silva 1 all over again, except that Weidman would've been landing bigger shots & constantly working for submissions. End result would have been much the same..
  • HellequinHellequin In my car with the garage door closedPosts: 4,165Free
    No, he doesn't need. It is a stupid way to fight, but he gets away with it because he is actually quite talented.

However, this takes nothing away from Weidman. Weidman was good enough to capitalize on it. Anyone trying to take anything away from Weidman by saying if Silva didn't taunt etc. is being silly. It is as silly as when Vitoe said if Silva didn't land that kick. 8-|

The rematch will be very interesting to see how Silva changes it up, if he does change it up at all.
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,659Free
    Hellequin said:

. It is as silly as when Vitoe said if Silva didn't land that kick. 8-|

Exactly. It's no different.
  • Solid_SnakeSolid_Snake Posts: 11,789Moderator, Ultimate
    I think he needed it in this fight. He wasn't able to land anything impactful so he dropped his hands to force a mistake, like only he can. He got creamed for it too.lol
    GSP MAFIA

Leonie fan since day one....No questions asked.

The Funny Thread

http://forums.ufc.production.sparkar