Fighter ranking dilemma...can I have your opinion?

Brady969Brady969 Outside DCPosts: 3,100Free
Some of you know I sit on The UFC fighter ranking panel. I've run into my first real dilemma.

I have Anderson Silva ranked #1 pound for pound. After this loss I'm not sure where to rank him and if I should even bring Chris Weidman into the top 10 pound for pound rankings.

The meaning of pound for pound is taking a fighter like Silva and GSP and making them the same weight, reach and height and ranking them on who you think would win that fight.

Here's my top 10 P4P
1 Anderson Silva
2 Jon Jones
3 Georges St-Pierre
4 Jose Aldo
5 Benson Henderson
6 Cain Velasquez
7 Demetrious Johnson
8 Dominick Cruz
9 Renan Barao
10 Frankie Edgar

My questions....Do you believe if Chris Weidman was p4p the same size as GSP or Jon Jones he could beat them? Do you think one loss against Silva means he should lose that position? I
Today's Top Fighters Answer Your Questions At 'Your Corner' Check it out here!
photo image-1.jpg
photo badge2.jpg

Comments

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,544Free
    1 Jones
    2 Silva
    3 Aldo
    4 Cain
    5 Barao
    6 GSP
    7 JDS
    8 Bendo
    9 Johnson
    10 Weidman new Entry imo!

JBJ and Silva switched places anno UFC 162
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    Brady969 said:

Some of you know I sit on The UFC fighter ranking panel. I've run into my first real dilemma.

I have Anderson Silva ranked #1 pound for pound. After this loss I'm not sure where to rank him and if I should even bring Chris Weidman into the top 10 pound for pound rankings.

The meaning of pound for pound is taking a fighter like Silva and GSP and making them the same weight, reach and height and ranking them on who you think would win that fight.

Here's my top 10 P4P
    1 Anderson Silva
    2 Jon Jones
    3 Georges St-Pierre
    4 Jose Aldo
    5 Benson Henderson
    6 Cain Velasquez
    7 Demetrious Johnson
    8 Dominick Cruz
    9 Renan Barao
    10 Frankie Edgar

My questions....Do you believe if Chris Weidman was p4p the same size as GSP or Jon Jones he could beat them? Do you think one loss against Silva means he should lose that position? I

You have to be objective and go on current ability and not legacies when you go p4p

Weidman is at his prime, beat Munoz, Maia, and Anderson so he's gotta be top 5 right now. I don't know if I could put him ahead of Silva though because Silva still is insane.

Here's my personal critique on your list

1. Jon Jones def takes the spot at 1 now based on him being much closer to his prime and Anderson coming off a KO loss
    2. Silva def should stay at 2 based on just how many people he annihilated (Vitor, Hendo, Franklin twice, the list goes on)
    3. GSP should def round out the top three
    4. Jose Aldo I def agree with you
    5. Chris Weidman definitely should be at number 5 instead of Bendo. Bendo has struggled against much much lesser guys than Weidman, and Weidman is coming off a KO of Silva and is now champ. You def should put Weidman in the top 5 considering he beat the best ever by KO
    6. I agree with Cain here
    7. Barao - p4p it's hard to put anyone above him there
    8. Bendo or JDS
    9. Bendo or JDS
    10. MM

So yeah...I basically think you have Bendo too high, Weidman needs to be up there for sure, and Barao should probably be a bit higher
    edited July 2013
    Also, what's your take on putting JDS, Machida, or Hendricks at 10 instead of Edgar?
    Post edited by Sisti on
  • Brady969Brady969 Outside DCPosts: 3,100Free
    Sisti said:

Brady969 said:

Here's my top 10 P4P
    1 Anderson Silva
    2 Jon Jones
    3 Georges St-Pierre
    4 Jose Aldo
    5 Benson Henderson
    6 Cain Velasquez
    7 Demetrious Johnson
    8 Dominick Cruz
    9 Renan Barao
    10 Frankie Edgar

You have to be objective and go on current ability and not legacies when you go p4p

Weidman is at his prime, beat Munoz, Maia, and Anderson so he's gotta be top 5 right now. I don't know if I could put him ahead of Silva though because Silva still is insane.

1. Jon Jones def takes the spot at 1 now based on him being much closer to his prime and Anderson coming off a KO loss
    2. Silva def should stay at 2 based on just how many people he annihilated (Vitor, Hendo, Franklin twice, the list goes on)
    5. Chris Weidman definitely should be at number 5 instead of Bendo. Bendo has struggled against much much lesser guys than Weidman, and Weidman is coming off a KO of Silva and is now champ. You def should put Weidman in the top 5 considering he beat the best ever by KO
    8. Bendo or JDS
    9. Bendo or JDS
    10. MM

So yeah...I basically think you have Bendo too high, Weidman needs to be up there for sure, and Barao should probably be a bit higher
    I agree with most of what you wrote and thank you :-) but I think it's important to remember how Weidman won. I'm not taking anything away from Weidman's knock out and believe he deserves the belt but I really believe if Silva wasn't clowning he wouldn't of been caught. A win is a win when it's regarding the belt and it doesn't matter how but when ranking, it has to be more methodical and thought out. I'm just not sure that Weidman could beat the top 10 p4p list I have. I will absolutely take what you wrote into consideration.
    photo image-1.jpg
    photo badge2.jpg
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,176Free
    I think you went full Ariel Helwani for even thinking Chris belongs on p4p list at this point. Anderson is still p4p #1 imo but Jones is creeping very close behind. Aldo and George are probably tied for third and the rest is irrelevant.
  • uddasideuddaside Posts: 1,785Free
    1 Jones
    2 Silva
    3 Aldo
    4 GSP
    5 Cain
    6 Barao
    7 JDS
    8 Bendo
    9 Johnson
    10 Edgar

The juries still out on Weidman when it comes to p4p, he'll have to defend the belt a few times first. If he carries on as he is now then he'll be right up there. But I want to see him dig deep against top guys. Keeping the belt is where the fun begins.
  • Brady969Brady969 Outside DCPosts: 3,100Free
    Sisti said:

Also, what's your take on putting JDS, Machida, or Hendricks at 10 instead of Edgar?

I'm not a fan of Frankie Edgar and hope to see Cub Swanson beat him if they do that match up but regardless of his losses, I think he's top 10 pound for pound. If JDS, Machida or Hendricks was Edgar's size could they beat him? I don't think so. I could be wrong.
    photo image-1.jpg
    photo badge2.jpg
  • FroZeNFroZeN Posts: 4,762Free
    Did GSP lose all his accolades at the time when he got KTFO by a fat FW? No. Same should apply to Silva, they are both great fighters, but had Silva not been clowning around and been serious, this fight may have gone way different. I don't think people would be opposed to seeing Silva still ranked number 1, but for fans sake, I'd put him 2. He did just lose, ya know?
    OFFICIAL UFC FORUM BLACKBELT
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,870Free
    Weidman shouldn't be top 10 till he atleast defends the belt
  • BanutuBanutu Posts: 619Free
    The P4P list is a joke and considering Weidman there its even more of a laugh.
    Brady969 said:

Sisti said:

Brady969 said:

Here's my top 10 P4P
    1 Anderson Silva
    2 Jon Jones
    3 Georges St-Pierre
    4 Jose Aldo
    5 Benson Henderson
    6 Cain Velasquez
    7 Demetrious Johnson
    8 Dominick Cruz
    9 Renan Barao
    10 Frankie Edgar

8. Bendo or JDS
    9. Bendo or JDS
    10. MM

I agree with most of what you wrote and thank you :-) but I think it's important to remember how Weidman won. I'm not taking anything away from Weidman's knock out and believe he deserves the belt but I really believe if Silva wasn't clowning he wouldn't of been caught. A win is a win when it's regarding the belt and it doesn't matter how but when ranking, it has to be more methodical and thought out. I'm just not sure that Weidman could beat the top 10 p4p list I have. I will absolutely take what you wrote into consideration.
    Thanks, man

I do think that Weidman having the ability to take down Silva quickly and KO him when he was clowning proved he did have serious skill because so many other people couldn't do that to him. Silva is the best ever so a KO over him has to skyrocket you up p4p rankings. Silva resorted to those tactics because he knew he wasn't as good grappling, and it turned out that Weidman had enough power to be the first ever guy to KO Silva.

p4p refers to who is CURRENTLY the best guy right now moreso than who had the best career. Weidman is 29 (prime age), has all the confidence in the world right now, and now has wins over 3 names (Munoz, Maia, Silva).

Also, I noticed Cruz is on your list...is there a period of time where a fighter becomes ineligible in the rankings. In other words, if a fighter goes 18 months without a fight are they still able to be ranked?
  • fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Silva moves down one place, that is all you need to change IMO. Although its Silva's first UFC loss, a champ should be #1 and Jon Jones is the rightful replacement IMHO Silva still needs to be #2 because of his achievements

Weidman gets a few title defenses then reevaluate his position

what the **** do I know tho

• Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free
    edited July 2013
    1) Weidman(beat the GOAT at his own game in his prime, undefeated. Never had a close fight)
    2) JDS (best resume of any HW ever, destroys bigger guys)
    3) Jones (impressive resume but never beat anyone of equal size or bigger)
    4) GSP (22-2 in the ufc, beat every opponent he's ever faced.)
    5) Silva (some incredible wins, some mediocre wins. Just got KTFO)
    6) Aldo (been ruling 145 class since it was made)
    7) Belfort
    8) Cain (current champ, small for a HW)
    9) Bendo
    10) Barao
    Post edited by Weidman_the_GOAT on

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,544Free
    edited July 2013

1) Weidman(beat the GOAT at his own game in his prime, undefeated. Never had a close fight)

NO WAY, THAT WILL MAKE HIM THE P4P #1 OVERALL DIVISIONS!

Post edited by _Finish_Him_ on
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

bottom line...you have a lot of extremes where ppl will say he should be 1 and ppl say he shouldn't be 10. best thing possible is to be reasonable and put him at the middle of those extremes and that's why i say 5
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,751Free
    Why is Dominick Cruz even on this list, he's been inactive for over a year and he's going to get wrecked by barao.
  • Weidman_the_GOATWeidman_the_GOAT Posts: 2,758Free

Yes. Hes the only champ to have never lost ever and KTFO the GOAT. Nuff said.

Welchers:
    Bluesy(sig)
    Identity(poop eating bet)

Weidman | Belfort | Sanchez | Gus | Aldo | Maia | JDS | Pettis | Shogun | Glover | Jacare | Machida | Silva | Cub | Mcgregor | Manuwa

Poop eating bets: 1-0

Gustaffson is the Real 205 champ right now.
    Gus- 1, 2, 3, 4.