Why does Anderson Silva clown around during fights?

SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
This is actually a serious question that I have been wondering for a while...was hoping someone could help me with this or if anyone has a link of him answering this.

I really have no clue why he acts the way he does during fights.

Is it because he doesn't respect his opponents and he is genuinely mocking them?

Is it because fighting brings out a different side of him, and this is just his crazy side coming out?

Is it because he really is a genius and this is a tactic?

Is it because he is looking for new ways to challenge himself?

Is it because he's trying to emasculate his opponents and dare them to strike instead of grapple where they'd have an advantage?

I personally think that way too many people overanalyze MMA and take it too seriously and he simply feels this is a way to get them to play his game, and that this will work against people out of his league, but when ur fighting the best in the world eventually someone will be good enough to knock your head off.

I don't really think there's much more to say about it than that, but just wondering if anyone had a different opinion or if they have ever heard someone ask Anderson why he does that

Comments

• SistiSisti Posts: 5,312Free
    Also, I have a feeling Anderson does this because HE CAN

If a newcomer did this...

1. he'd get his head knocked off because their skills are not good enough
    2. DW would fire him immediately (he's fire happy and we all know that)

A lot of times people just do what they can get away with, and Anderson can toy with people like that and still win and still keep his job. If you were being told you were the best ever for 5 years straight and you did this stuff and still win all the time, you'd probably do the same
  • ShannonRitch1p4pShannonRitch1p4p Posts: 9,946Free
    To lure over aggressive guys in for one of his deadly counter strikes.

To lure over aggressive guys in for one of his deadly counter strikes.

That's what I think too

He's a counter striker, and he is trying to throw off his opponent to strike him which allows him to utilize his strongest skill which is counter striking

He knew with Weidman that the ground is where he's outmatched so he tried to entice him to a striking contest...same with Maia
    The difference with Weidman tho is that he's way too good of a fighter to not be able to capitalize on an opponent with their hands completely down...Maia/Bonnar/Griffin were not at the same level
    Sisti said:

The difference with Weidman tho is that he's way too good of a fighter to not be able to capitalize on an opponent with their hands completely down...Maia/Bonnar/Griffin were not at the same level

The hilarious thing is Weidmans hands are trash. Silva got slept by a wrestler with no striking ability.

Sisti said:

The hilarious thing is Weidmans hands are trash. Silva got slept by a wrestler with no striking ability.
    Not really...

People tend to categorize MMA too much and act like top fighters are amazing in one skill and awful in another, but that's not true

The top fighters are where they are at because they are well-rounded. You cannot be a champ unless you have everything...this is why James Toney and Roger Gracie are not currently champs
  • Kevbo_JonesKevbo_Jones Posts: 15,679Free
    edited July 2013
    Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

People tend to categorize MMA too much and act like top fighters are amazing in one skill and awful in another, but that's not true

The top fighters are where they are at because they are well-rounded. You cannot be a champ unless you have everything...this is why James Toney and Roger Gracie are not currently champs
    You misunderstood her point. Weidman has sub par footwork and technique. It got the job done, but that doesnt change the fact that he has a lot of work to do on the feet.
    Post edited by Kevbo_Jones on

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

Can you honestly look at the fight ending sequence and tell me Weidman is a good striker? His footwork is terrible, he doesnt know how to put combos together, and his punches dont have any snap to them. Im not saying Weidmans a bum, he is a solid fighter, but his hands are average at best.
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,747Free

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

Can you honestly look at the fight ending sequence and tell me Weidman is a good striker? His footwork is terrible, he doesnt know how to put combos together, and his punches dont have any snap to them. Im not saying Weidmans a bum, he is a solid fighter, but his hands are average at best.
    Dude started striking like three years ago. He'll get better, but then again its never going to be his bread and butter and it doesn't have to be. It helps to be have the power to ko dudes when you need to though.
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 6,863Free
  • StompGrindStompGrind Posts: 21,170Free
    Is it because he doesn't respect his opponents and he is genuinely mocking them?

No he respects all his opponents but he does troll them to get a reaction. The idea is to get into their head so they lose focus & emotional control, abandon their game plan, lose confidence and accelerate anxiety and expend energy without being effective.

Is it because fighting brings out a different side of him, and this is just his crazy side coming out?

I think every fighter has a bit of a crazy side but his taunting is calculated as an overall strrategy but a lot of it is him just playing the game in the moment.

I wouldn't call it genius just a tactic that is nothing new he just has the talent to pull it off but for how long. Eventually you get caught taking too many risk i don't care how good you are.

I don't think so it's more to throw people off their game and bring them into his game.

Is it because he's trying to emasculate his opponents and dare them to strike instead of grapple where they'd have an advantage?

He's not really at a disadvantage grappling but of course he'd rather get them to play to his strength which is striking on the feet.

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

You misunderstood her point. Weidman has sub par footwork and technique. It got the job done, but that doesnt change the fact that he has a lot of work to do on the feet.
    Don't get me wrong, striking is not his best skill. Weidman doesn't really have any background in striking so of course he's not going to be at the level of Silva who is likely the best striker in the world. What I am saying though is that his striking is still good, and you don't get to the belt if you have one gigantic weakness.

Silva was banking on the fact that Weidman's striking is so weak that if he could completely put his hands down and mock him for not standing, there's no way Weidman can win. The fact that he had enough power to KO Silva, a guy who has fought the best strikers in the world without being KO'd, proves that Weidman has (at least) decent standup.

Weidman is not as well-rounded as someone like GSP, but he definitely is more well-rounded than most fighters, and all of the champs today are well-rounded
    This may sound weird...but Silva's clowning is part of the reason I find his fights entertaining

I don't think it's respectful or something that should happen often, but him doing this is what creates fights that leave people talking

The Greg Jackson fighters who are completely cerebral have fights that are so cookie cutter that I don't feel the need to spend $5 on them, nevermind $50
    12er said:

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

Dude started striking like three years ago. He'll get better, but then again its never going to be his bread and butter and it doesn't have to be. It helps to be have the power to ko dudes when you need to though.
    12er said:

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

Right. But im not convinced his power is all that. He hit him moving into a shot perfectly on the button. I also dont even think he saw it coming.
  • YerboYerbo Posts: 2,515Free
    Because he's an idiot. Because he's arrogant. Because he thinks he's better than he really is. Because he is not really a "martial artist". Because he watched "The Matrix" too many times. Because he lacks respect for his opponents. Because he always wanted to have an excuse for losing. Because his coaches didn't have the guts to tell him he'd pay for it one day. I could go on and on but let's just say I am one happy camper to see Anderson "The Goof" Silva finally pay for his lack of class.

PS: I only just watched the fight now!!
  • TahuneTahune Posts: 1,874Free
    I find it funny how more people are questioning his "clowning' and antics now that he got knocked out.
    where had he not got knocked out folk would be saying "oh that's Silva being Silva-he's amazing etc etc"

He got put into a terrible position, his head was way over his center of gravity and he got caught.

It's worked really well for Anderson for so long I think people forgot that it's a tool more than anything to draw his opponent into over committing so he can counter.
    Grover- Future LHW champ!
    Tahune said:

I find it funny how more people are questioning his "clowning' and antics now that he got knocked out.
    where had he not got knocked out folk would be saying "oh that's Silva being Silva-he's amazing etc etc"

He got put into a terrible position, his head was way over his center of gravity and he got caught.

It's worked really well for Anderson for so long I think people forgot that it's a tool more than anything to draw his opponent into over committing so he can counter.

I have been saying for years that his clowning was inappropriate at best and dangerous at worst. Rogan made the point over and over at the end of the night. That is NOT the way to fight. And while Rogan didn't say it, the fact is that Silva's arrogance (Rogan called it hubris) is what undid him in the end. And now he acts like he didn't want to be champ any more which makes him look like an even bigger **** than ever..

No he respects all his opponents but he does troll them to get a reaction. The idea is to get into their head so they lose focus & emotional control, abandon their game plan, lose confidence and accelerate anxiety and expend energy without being effective.

I think every fighter has a bit of a crazy side but his taunting is calculated as an overall strrategy but a lot of it is him just playing the game in the moment.

I wouldn't call it genius just a tactic that is nothing new he just has the talent to pull it off but for how long. Eventually you get caught taking too many risk i don't care how good you are.

I don't think so it's more to throw people off their game and bring them into his game.

He's not really at a disadvantage grappling but of course he'd rather get them to play to his strength which is striking on the feet.

You make a lot of good points. But the fact is, with his exceptional skills, he would win more easily fighting without all the clowning.
    Yerbo said:

Tahune said:

I have been saying for years that his clowning was inappropriate at best and dangerous at worst. Rogan made the point over and over at the end of the night. That is NOT the way to fight. And while Rogan didn't say it, the fact is that Silva's arrogance (Rogan called it hubris) is what undid him in the end. And now he acts like he didn't want to be champ any more which makes him look like an even bigger **** than ever..

Dangerous indeed.

It was poetic justice that he pretended to be wobbled just before he was caught.
    Tahune said:

Yerbo said:

Tahune said:

Dangerous indeed.

It was poetic justice that he pretended to be wobbled just before he was caught.
    Amen brother. And hallelujua! haha
    Tahune said:

True but there's a fine line though between baiting, being deceptive and over doing it to the point that your careless. Anderson took it a little too far and payed the price for it and all credit to Weidman for finding an opening and capitilizing.

Tahune said:

True but there's a fine line though between baiting, being deceptive and over doing it to the point that your careless. Anderson took it a little too far and payed the price for it and all credit to Weidman for finding an opening and capitilizing.
    I agree you could tell it was almost reckless and manic
  • 12er12er Posts: 10,747Free

12er said:

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

12er said:

Sisti said:

Sisti said:

Not really...

Right. But im not convinced his power is all that. He hit him moving into a shot perfectly on the button. I also dont even think he saw it coming.
    He starched Munoz as well. Now Munoz leaned into that as well, but if your timing is that good then you don't nessecarily need power. Only time will tell though.
  • BanduraBandura Posts: 1,453Free
    maybe he was just having fun with his job

All hail the Dark sith ruler, Darth Shubeous!
    Tahune said:

Tahune said:

Tahune said:

Thing is he's been doing it for years. Someone finally just took advantage of it. Others could have in the past quite easily too. I kept screaming at Weidman to throw punches every time Silva dropped his hands but people are just too afraid of the counter.

• ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    Agreed Yerbo.....the fact that Sisti even had to ask this question is beyond me.
  • zaksamezaksame Posts: 4,340Free
    He is not clowning he is taunting to get you to come wildly and stupidly at him so he can counter.You should have noticed Silva did try several times to counter Chris but he missed because Chris outsmarted him and was cautious not reckless.
    Chris knew that Silva likes to taunt like that and then lean back to make you miss then counter.However instead of just missing as Silva leans back ,Chris decided to keep coming and not allow Silva to regroup after the lean back.
    Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.
    Yerbo said:

Tahune said:

Tahune said:

Tahune said:

Thing is he's been doing it for years. Someone finally just took advantage of it. Others could have in the past quite easily too. I kept screaming at Weidman to throw punches every time Silva dropped his hands but people are just too afraid of the counter.

He's been doing it for years but not on that level. He clowned even more than he did in the Maia fight. He took it to a whole new level against Weidman.
  • _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,538Free
    It worked good for years :) and it was awesome...
    This time he got clipped, s*** happens! ;)
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,567Free
    He wants his opponent to over commit to something big so he can counter, also it's demoralizing to have a guy avoid your punches and laugh and play it off continuously .