Title Rematches after a KO/sub: fair or foul?

OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
edited July 2013 in UFC
To the best of my knowledge this is the first time that a title rematch has been granted after there was a finish in the original fight.

Should this be allowed?

Title Rematches after a KO/sub: fair or foul?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
!!! WAR KELGOAT
!!! WAR MAIA
!!! WAR CORMIER
!!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:
TheSinisterUrge-FRANKIE/bj, wedo619-BROWN/silva, MGun-RUMBLE/prayvis

GOAT List:
1. GSP
2. Ryan LaFlare
3. Other people
I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

Comments

• Yesterdays_HeroYesterdays_Hero Posts: 23,628Free
    edited July 2013
    Depends how it happens and the state of the division.

Weidman beat the breaks off him the entire fight and there was never a moment I thought he was losing, Anderson will get a rematch for what he has done in the past. kind of like Frankie but he's not quite on Frankie's level when it comes to tallying up their achievements in the sport.
    Post edited by Yesterdays_Hero on
  • GoToGuyGoToGuy Posts: 5,361Free
    Fair
    Usually no but given the circumstances I would say fair. If he ko's Andy when he's serious then hell no on a rematch.

• fobarfobar Posts: 27,337Free
    Why didnt Melendez get a rematch after he was screwed out of the win?

fobar said:

and Frankie. Don't forget Frankie

fobar said:

Frankie been screwed over more times then Tito by Jenna

• 12er12er Posts: 10,887Free
    Fair
    fobar said:

fobar said:

Frankie been screwed over more times then Tito by Jenna
    Nobody told Tito that you can't turn a ho into a house wife.
  • ThePack19ThePack19 Posts: 1,976Free
    No vote because it depends.......BUT.....for the most part, I would say NO if the win was a very convincing KO or submission. But because of Anderson Sissy Spidey Silva and his fake legendary status of undefeated wins, it is granted. But like Cain vs JDS......they each needed to fight and win convincingly to be granted a rematch which is how it should be done.
  • PunchBagPunchBag Posts: 7,846Free
    silva gets a rematch because he has been the champ for so long and also never lost in the ufc until now and was considered p4p the greatest,
    "Believe in the beard"
    I bet against THE KING and he smashed my little gonads into oblivion

• verJJverJJ Posts: 3,993Free
    fobar said:

Anderson brings money, Melendez, not yet
    Wrist deep in your Grandma's cookie jar

Bet Record: 23-4, 1NC

verJJ said:

fobar said:

Anderson brings money, Melendez, not yet
    WTF does Anderson have to do with Melendez getting screwed?

Nothing thats what

• BeanslegendBeanslegend Posts: 808Free
    Frankie being skrewed? Like Frankie skrewed BJ out of the belt in their first fight. BJ landed more, fight metric said he won the fight, and basically everyone on planet earth knew BJ won that fight. Frankie also skrewed Gray out of his LW belt in their second fight when it shouldn't have been a draw. Get your facts straight
  • liquid2metalliquid2metal Posts: 306Free

Frankie being skrewed? Like Frankie skrewed BJ out of the belt in their first fight. BJ landed more, fight metric said he won the fight, and basically everyone on planet earth knew BJ won that fight. Frankie also skrewed Gray out of his LW belt in their second fight when it shouldn't have been a draw. Get your facts straight

You'll get Weidman'd talking gibberish like dat, son
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our Fedor in heaven, hallowed be your sambo, your combos come. Your Kimora be done on the street, as it is in the ring. Give us today our daily sparring, and forgive us the overtraining we have done as we forgive those who knock us out. Subject us not to the trial but deliver us from Werdum. Remember that Fedor got triangled for your sins...

- Fedor - Roy Nelson - Lyoto Machida - Glover Texeira - Chael Sonnen - Nick Diaz - Carlos Condit -
    - Tarec Saffiedine - Nate Diaz - Gilbert Melendez - Frankie Edgar - Anthony Pettis - Ricardo Lamas -

Train by day, piss-off Shannon & Pack by night! All day!
  • PabloskyPablosky Posts: 675Free
    Fair
    we're talking about THE FORMER REIGNING champion....

cmon... we all agree that silva was disrespectful... but its kinda lame to underlook his legacy...
    thanks god im less stupid now!

Fair

Maynard is a glass jaw can
    12er said:

:)) You read that post?

Fair
    fobar said:

12er said:

:)) You read that post?
    Yes, but I immediately regretted it.
  • kapstkapst ChicagolandPosts: 2,660Free
    Foul
    Definitely FOUL, but long time belt holders should be an exception (guys like Silva & GSP [& soon Jones as well])..

I have no problem with Silva getting an immediate rematch..
  • i_run_thisi_run_this Posts: 19,322Free
    money is all that matters

UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion

• Sephiroth388Sephiroth388 Antioch, TennesseePosts: 837Free
    Barring a fight that goes the distance, and has a controversial judge's decision, I feel like the following criteria should be followed in determining championship rematches:

If you were champion, and defended the belt at least twice, you should get an immediate rematch when you lose the belt.

If you were champion, and defended the belt just once, you should be put into a number one contender fight immediately after.

If you were champion, and lost the belt in your first defense, you should have to win a fight, then be placed into a number one contender bout.

This seems easy enough to follow, to give other fighters a chance at the belt, while granting an established champion a title shot in a reasonable amount of time after relinquishing the gold.

• mutharashamutharasha Posts: 701Free
    Foul
    depends on the fight. Most of the time, it's foul, if you lose your title, go to the back of the line and work your way back. Why should they get a title shot straight off a loss? Of course, when its a razor thin decision e.g. Edgar/Penn then a immediate rematch is necessary
    #StillRallyingForMarkHunt

UFC 160 = the night Kiwis will fly.

The Kuddles Krew yo - Vitor ''The Phenom'' Belfort, Chael Sonnen, TJ Dillashaw, Frankie ''The Answer'' Edgar, Pat ''HD'' Barry, Erik Perez, Darrell Montague, Robert Drysdale, Charles ''Do Bronx'' Oliveira, Thiago Silva

FABIO!

Survivor Series 1 Runner Up (boy crie :'((((((((( )

• mutharashamutharasha Posts: 701Free
    Foul
    PATSTER said:

Frankie's only been screwed once.

Edgar/Henderson II? I also had him winning 3,4 and 5 vs Aldo, but I only saw it live and I was probably scoring based on bias (Big Edgar Fan).

#StillRallyingForMarkHunt

UFC 160 = the night Kiwis will fly.

The Kuddles Krew yo - Vitor ''The Phenom'' Belfort, Chael Sonnen, TJ Dillashaw, Frankie ''The Answer'' Edgar, Pat ''HD'' Barry, Erik Perez, Darrell Montague, Robert Drysdale, Charles ''Do Bronx'' Oliveira, Thiago Silva

FABIO!

Survivor Series 1 Runner Up (boy crie :'((((((((( )

there was never a moment I thought he was losing

there's not a chance in hell you're being honest.
    Why? Anderson's offense consisted of leg kicks, he was never winning that fight. Dropping your hands and doing the limbo doesn't score points.
  • MrBisonMrBison Posts: 554Free
    Foul
    I voted foul.. But in this instance, considering what Anderson has done, I think its normal he gets another immediate shot at the title.
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    Foul

there was never a moment I thought he was losing

there's not a chance in hell you're being honest.
    Why? Anderson's offense consisted of leg kicks, he was never winning that fight. Dropping your hands and doing the limbo doesn't score points.
    I agree. I was nervous throughout the whole fight just because of how Dangerous Anderson is, but I never felt he was in control. Weidman seemed confident that he could fall into Silva's trap of engaging in a stand up fight and still come out on top.
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people
    I took LyGOATo Machida's piss to the back of the throat and I loved it! wanderleisilva101 is the GOAT
    If you don't think Ronda could actually take out Cain on her best day, then there's something wrong with YOU

• _Finish_Him__Finish_Him_ Posts: 11,589Free
    Depends on the situation....

FOUL: Machida vs Shogun 2 NO rematch... BJ Penn(RNC wins) NO Rematch.... Edgar vs Maynard 3 NO Rematch.... Cain vs Bigfoot Bahaha NO!

FAIR: Silva vs Weidman Rematch.... Vitor vs JBJ Rematch... Brock vs Mir 1 Rematch... Cain vs JDS they'll have a millionen rematches!!!
    Predicition League Record: 39-15, Prediction League Record: 6-1, ***Camp League Record***: 9-2
    OFFICIAL UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 7 WINNER
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147741/michelle-waterson-appreciation-thread/p1
    http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/discussion/147932/that-80-s-90-s-thread-bittersweet-memories/p1

• carnages41carnages41 Posts: 36,285Free
    Foul
    The LHW GOAT, RamGOAT did not get a rematch after he was robbed by Forrest

Anderson should not get one after getting ****ing KO'd and dominated lol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one to post wins- Winner
    UFC Forum Fight Camp- Winner
    UFC PREDICTIONS TOURNAMENT 5 - unofficial winner
  • OmoplataypusOmoplataypus BostonPosts: 4,610Free
    Foul
    I actually think it would have benefited Anderson more to get a tune up fight so he could go into another scrap with Weidman feeling good from coming off a win (probably a KTFO too).
    !!! WAR KELGOAT
    !!! WAR MAIA
    !!! WAR CORMIER
    !!! WAR WEIDMAN  

Active bets:

GOAT List:
    1. GSP
    2. Ryan LaFlare
    3. Other people

• S6XStringzS6XStringz Posts: 1,067Free
    Foul
    Depends on the fighters really. I would say Silva v Weidman is a unique situation because Silva has been so dominant. However, in the interest of variety I wouldn't be against forcing fighters to have to win 1 or 2 fights before they get rematches. I know some rematches are highly anticipated, but to be fair to other fighters the loser of a championship bout should have to wait for a little while.